HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Is there a rendering? Your attachment is for Main Gate, right? What are they building at Williams Center?
No renderings yet (that I know if)

There is a secret project slated for the William's Centre called "Project Treasure" it is supposedly an engineering focused business and will be right next to the Texas Instruments building. Everyone assumes it is an expansion of their operations here in Tucson.

There were rumors that they were looking to move next to Caterpillar on the west side. However with this announcement, that seems unlikely.

Updates: “Project Treasure” At Williams Center – Geico Breaks Ground At The Bridges

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:51 PM

Today's Inside Tucson Business had some updates on 75 East Broadway and the new hotel at the TCC.

Rio Nuevo granted an extension to August 31 to JE Dunn to complete the environmental and archaeological reviews on the 75 E Broadway site. They still expect to start construction later this year.

And RN are negotiating a lease with Caliber for the new TCC hotel, which will apparently be a Hilton brand. That is planned to open in time for the 2020 gem show.

More info: https://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com...ac097c32a.html

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Today's Inside Tucson Business had some updates on 75 East Broadway and the new hotel at the TCC.

Rio Nuevo granted an extension to August 31 to JE Dunn to complete the environmental and archaeological reviews on the 75 E Broadway site. They still expect to start construction later this year.

And RN are negotiating a lease with Caliber for the new TCC hotel, which will apparently be a Hilton brand. That is planned to open in time for the 2020 gem show.

It's difficult to get details of the RN meetings when no one from the Daily Star attends so I'm glad someone got an update. My guess on the Hilton brand is Canopy.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:56 PM

Duplicate

Last edited by Ted Lyons; Aug 8, 2018 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:

I thought the soon to be renovated Hotel Arizona was going to be Hilton branded. Does this announcement throw the Hotel Arizona project into limbo?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
I thought the soon to be renovated Hotel Arizona was going to be Hilton branded. Does this announcement throw the Hotel Arizona project into limbo?
My guess would be no. Hilton has to know Marriott/Starwood has a stranglehold on the downtown/UA area with the AC, Marriott, aLoft, and upcoming Moxy so two hotels is far from oversaturation for them.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
My guess would be no. Hilton has to know Marriott/Starwood has a stranglehold on the downtown/UA area with the AC, Marriott, aLoft, and upcoming Moxy so two hotels is far from oversaturation for them.
Not to mention the JW Marriott not far from downtown. The Hotel Arizona could still be a Hilton, with the TCC hotel likely a Hampton or Homewood or some other mid-range business brand.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
No renderings yet (that I know if)

There is a secret project slated for the William's Centre called "Project Treasure" it is supposedly an engineering focused business and will be right next to the Texas Instruments building. Everyone assumes it is an expansion of their operations here in Tucson.

There were rumors that they were looking to move next to Caterpillar on the west side. However with this announcement, that seems unlikely.

Updates: “Project Treasure” At Williams Center – Geico Breaks Ground At The Bridges
Hey thanks for clarification on this

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:25 AM

New Airline

Frontier is starting service to their hub in Denver.

Outside of the seasonal flights to Minneapolis, this will be the only discount airline flying to Tucson. Anyone know why they've stayed away?

Special introductory rate posted at TUS's website

Fly Tucson
$29 Fare Offer
To take advantage of the special introductory fare of $29 one way. Tickets must be purchased by 8:59 p.m. (Tucson time) Thursday, August 9, 2018. The fare is good on the new nonstop flights between November 7 and February 13, 2019, except for the following blackout dates: November 17-26, December 20-January 8 and January 18-21.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:18 AM

Did anyone hear who purchased the old Volvo lot on Broadway? I haven’t seen any details other than that the city approved a sale.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
Did anyone hear who purchased the old Volvo lot on Broadway? I haven’t seen any details other than that the city approved a sale.
Don't think the details are public yet. The agreement was discussed in executive session.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
https://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/mtg...octype=SUMMARY (Scan down to item 8)

Council Member Fimbres said the Mayor and Council have had the opportunity to review the proposals submitted in response to the invitation to submit offers to purchase for this property.

Based upon the recommendations of the evaluation committee, and based upon the terms of the Invitation for Offers, it was moved by Council Member Fimbres, duly seconded, and CARRIED by a voice vote of 7 to 0, to select “Martha and Mary/Welcome Hospitality” as the preferred purchaser and developer of the property; and to direct the City Manager and his staff to finalize all agreements and documents necessary to carry out the sale and development of the property as proposed by the developer in its Offer to Purchase and subject to all of the conditions included in the Invitation for Offers, to include:

- purchase price based on appraised value;

- prohibition of incompatible uses, such as high-density student housing, convenience store with gasoline sales, large retail establishments, billboards, and auto repair;

- transit-oriented, or mixed-use development that is aesthetically compatible and in scale with surrounding development and neighborhoods;

- ongoing coordination with the neighborhood liaisons, including Barrio San Antonio and Miles neighborhoods;

- strategies for addressing neighborhood concerns over property maintenance, excessive noise, construction activity, and other public nuisances; and

- incorporating street-level amenities, and encouraging pedestrian activity; and identifying parking strategies that encourage shared-parking in existing or new parking lots or structures at or near the site.

The City Manager is further directed to coordinate with the selected proponent to move forward with the Planned Area Development process, to include all associated public notice and stakeholder proceedings, and to return to Mayor and Council as needed to carry out the purposes of this motion.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
https://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/mtg...octype=SUMMARY (Scan down to item 8)

Council Member Fimbres said the Mayor and Council have had the opportunity to review the proposals submitted in response to the invitation to submit offers to purchase for this property.

Based upon the recommendations of the evaluation committee, and based upon the terms of the Invitation for Offers, it was moved by Council Member Fimbres, duly seconded, and CARRIED by a voice vote of 7 to 0, to select “Martha and Mary/Welcome Hospitality” as the preferred purchaser and developer of the property; and to direct the City Manager and his staff to finalize all agreements and documents necessary to carry out the sale and development of the property as proposed by the developer in its Offer to Purchase and subject to all of the conditions included in the Invitation for Offers, to include:

- purchase price based on appraised value;

- prohibition of incompatible uses, such as high-density student housing, convenience store with gasoline sales, large retail establishments, billboards, and auto repair;

- transit-oriented, or mixed-use development that is aesthetically compatible and in scale with surrounding development and neighborhoods;

- ongoing coordination with the neighborhood liaisons, including Barrio San Antonio and Miles neighborhoods;

- strategies for addressing neighborhood concerns over property maintenance, excessive noise, construction activity, and other public nuisances; and

- incorporating street-level amenities, and encouraging pedestrian activity; and identifying parking strategies that encourage shared-parking in existing or new parking lots or structures at or near the site.

The City Manager is further directed to coordinate with the selected proponent to move forward with the Planned Area Development process, to include all associated public notice and stakeholder proceedings, and to return to Mayor and Council as needed to carry out the purposes of this motion.
Holy crap. That's the owners of Welcome Diner. They must have some significant plans to scale up to a project this size. I don't even think any of their projects in Phoenix are this big.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:13 AM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:39 PM

Can't find any details yet, but a permit application was filed in connection to 714 N Euclid (The second Main Gate/Residence Inn site) on August 8th. Gotta figure that, between whatever this is and the Graduate project, the Main Gate Overlay District Review Committee will have to meet soon.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:27 PM

TIA has another new airline/destination scheduled for tomorrow. I know a lot of people are hoping for jetBlue to return but I think a dark horse could be Volaris. They announced a new route between Albuquerque and Guadalajara last week.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
TIA has another new airline/destination scheduled for tomorrow. I know a lot of people are hoping for jetBlue to return but I think a dark horse could be Volaris. They announced a new route between Albuquerque and Guadalajara last week.
The TIA Facebook page says "New Airline, New Destinations" (plural on the destination) and indicated that was a hit about their new tomorrow. Could be multiple new cities? Or just new cities available through a hub?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
The TIA Facebook page says "New Airline, New Destinations" (plural on the destination) and indicated that was a hit about their new tomorrow. Could be multiple new cities? Or just new cities available through a hub?
My conservative guess is through a hub. Domestically, though, you can get pretty much anywhere you want to go via connecting flights on existing carriers. That's why I thought Volaris might be in play.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
My conservative guess is through a hub. Domestically, though, you can get pretty much anywhere you want to go via connecting flights on existing carriers. That's why I thought Volaris might be in play.
There have been 4 carriers over a period of several years that have flown Tucson to Hermosillo and/or Guaymas nonstop. All of them are gone now. I would think that service to Mexico from Tucson is not happening. But, I've been wrong before. Frontier is back for the fifth time(I think) since announcing their original service to Denver in1996.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
There have been 4 carriers over a period of several years that have flown Tucson to Hermosillo and/or Guaymas nonstop. All of them are gone now. I would think that service to Mexico from Tucson is not happening. But, I've been wrong before. Frontier is back for the fifth time(I think) since announcing their original service to Denver in1996.
I think the difference in Volaris's business plan (not that it's going to be them, but based on what they do in other cities) is that they're focusing on destinations that appeal to all sorts of travelers. They also have the ability to leverage existing gate space at major airports in Mexico, which the regional Mexican airlines don't.

Hermosillo may appeal to a small niche of business travelers but not much else. Similarly, Guaymas appeals to a small niche of vacation travelers but not much else. Guadalajara and Mexico City are on a whole other level and the flights to both costs a negligible amount more than what we were seeing to the Sonoran destinations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest