HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 2:45 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Significant new residential development already exists on the doorstep of CTC; developers would trip over themselves for the opportunity to acquire available land and expand these neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 2:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The idea wouldn't be to maintain the Coliseum for the long haul but rather to use up the remaining life that it has, rather than just tearing it down. To my knowledge, all the major components of the Coliseum were in operating condition (sound, ice plant, lighting, mechanical, etc.). I have a hard time imagining that the Coliseum couldn't have operated on a break even basis providing an important community asset for at least a decade. After 10, 15, 20 years major upgrades would be necessary at which point demolition makes more sense.
I'm just curious what Northlands would be used for, mostly. Anything that would make real money would go to Rogers.

So, what community or low-revenue event needs an NHL-sized rink? Short-track speed skating, maybe?

What does the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver host these days?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 2:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
Significant new residential development already exists on the doorstep of CTC; developers would trip over themselves for the opportunity to acquire available land and expand these neighborhoods.
I wonder if the Sens would get into the property development side of things in Kanata to help pay for the new rink downtown? Getting a cut of any new development might actually yield more than just selling the land itself.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I'm just curious what Northlands would be used for, mostly. Anything that would make real money would go to Rogers.

So, what community or low-revenue event needs an NHL-sized rink? Short-track speed skating, maybe?

What does the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver host these days?
Mid sized concerts, CEBL, curling, combat sports, major hockey tournaments (Gretzky-Hlinka Cup, secondary WJHC venue, USports championships), figure skating, non-sport community events.

It's not hard to think of a lot of ways that the Coliseum's continued existence could be used in ways to benefit the community. That's the reason Katz wanted it gone.

The Vancouver area supports not just the Pacific Coliseum as a secondary venue, but also the Langley Events Centre and Abbotsford Centre. So at least 4 large arenas. The UBC Thunderbirds arena is pretty big too, so 5 really. There must be a lot going on to keep all these places busy.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:29 PM

But I hear more training facilities are also being built for the 2026 FIFA World Cup especially here in Canada because some of the 48 other nations who qualify especially if they play their games here in Canada are going to need facilities to train in. Hearing Woodbine they may even use that as a training facility especially here in Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
But I hear more training facilities are also being built for the 2026 FIFA World Cup especially here in Canada because some of the 48 other nations who qualify especially if they play their games here in Canada are going to need facilities to train in. Hearing Woodbine they may even use that as a training facility especially here in Toronto.
Have the venues in Canada been fully determined? I can't remember where things left off with that.

I recall there were some nice upgrades to some facilities here in Winnipeg as part of the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. That was a positive legacy for soccer locally.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Have the venues in Canada been fully determined? I can't remember where things left off with that.

I recall there were some nice upgrades to some facilities here in Winnipeg as part of the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. That was a positive legacy for soccer locally.
Yeah the venues are BC Place in Vancouver and BMO Field in Toronto where the games will be played here in 2026 it was confirmed back in the summer

But training facilities they are still going over where but here in Toronto they plan on building one at Woodbine well from an article that I was reading weeks ago

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:19 PM

So it's just the two? Edmonton and Montreal are out for sure? We knew Montreal wasn't going to happen for lack of an appropriate venue, but it's a shame that we weren't comfortable letting the rest of the world see our red-headed step child Edmonton

Haha, just joking Edmonton, I kid because I love

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
So it's just the two? Edmonton and Montreal are out for sure? We knew Montreal wasn't going to happen for lack of an appropriate venue, but it's a shame that we weren't comfortable letting the rest of the world see our red-headed step child Edmonton

Haha, just joking Edmonton, I kid because I love
Yeah Edmonton and Montreal have been out for the longest time

Because for 2026 the following venues are as follows:

Canada- BMO Field (Toronto), BC Place (Vancouver) (2 venues)

USA- MetLife Stadium (New York/New Jersey), Cowboys Stadium (Dallas, Texas), NRG Stadium (Houston), Hard Rock Stadium (Miami), Lumen Field (Seattle), SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles), Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia), Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City), Mercedes Benz Stadium (Atlanta), Gillette Stadium (Boston), Levi's Stadium (San Francisco)

Mexico- Estadio Akron (Guadalajara), Estadio BBVA Bancomer (Mexico City), Azteca Stadium (Monterrey)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:41 PM

2 Canadian venues out of 16 total. One of which is BMO Field. Honestly, what was even the point.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:43 PM

Quote:
it's a shame that we weren't comfortable letting the rest of the world see our red-headed step child
They're gonna see it all right.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
2 Canadian venues out of 16 total. One of which is BMO Field. Honestly, what was even the point.
I understand the logic or your sentiment but Toronto and Vancouver make sense for Canadian venues especially for 2026 because those cities are the most crazy about football in this country and those stadiums BC Place and BMO Field can actually support capacity for World Cup fans from other countries

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
I understand the logic or your sentiment but Toronto and Vancouver make sense for Canadian venues especially for 2026 because those cities are the most crazy about football in this country and those stadiums BC Place and BMO Field can actually support capacity for World Cup fans from other countries
I get it. But it's just such a trivial amount of the whole event.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:05 PM

I mean, it's shared with the US and Mexico, both of which have way more, and larger, stadiums for hosting, as well as much deeper soccer history/culture. Shouldn't really be surprised we only get 2/16 stadiums

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I get it. But it's just such a trivial amount of the whole event.
I suppose, but a foot in the door was about the best we had political support for. It was always going to be a USA-and-friends event.

Maybe in a couple of decades, Canada can go whole-hog on our own bid. Right now, the culture's still too thin on the ground and the optics too hard a sell for that sort of dog-and-pony show here.

The Winter Olympics it is not.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:09 PM
I am the law!

I agree the games are trivial. Adding another Canadian host city isn't going to change that. It will add another 2 to $300 million to the overall World Cup budget.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I wouldn't say Montreal is significantly less into the sport than the other two ciites. The big three are probably fairly comparable in this respect.

In terms of sports chatter, the WC is a close second to the Montreal Canadiens here right now.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn't say Montreal is significantly less into the sport than the other two cites. The big three are probably fairly comparable in this respect.

In terms of sports chatter, the WC is a close second to the Montreal Canadiens here right now.
The Province of Quebec probably had the inkling that a handful of minor games in a one-time show was a bad use of funds for Olympic Stadium, given what it needs for work.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The Province of Quebec probably had the inkling that a handful of minor games in a one-time show was a bad use of funds for Olympic Stadium, given what it needs for work.
Probably a smart decision on their part. It's one thing to spend the money on hosting if your venue is largely ready to go like in Vancouver, it's another to spend hundreds of millions of dollars refurbishing the place for just a few games.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where Olympic Stadium gets fully renovated... the NFL will never come there, and it's too big for the CFL and MLS. MLB will never come back. So what does that leave in terms of potential full time tenants?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 5:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

As much as I love the WC and would have gone to see games in Montreal, I do think that Quebec made the right decision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada