HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 3:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Hold on. It's far from certain. There will be a referendum on the project in May. If that is approved, then yes, their future is secured in Arizona for the next 30 years. People in Quebec can cast their gaze towards the Florida Panthers who are far from having a certain long-term future in Miami.
Yes, well, I'm sure Buttman would prefer to see the Panthers relocate to Atlanta (for the third time), or to Kansas City (for the second time) rather than give Quebec City another chance.

Buttman has zero interest in a franchise in QC (possibly less than zero).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 3:32 AM

There was also talk that the Quebec presumed ownership group balked at the price back in the same expansion as Vegas. Similar to Tim Hortons 30 years ago not liking the price. Imagine the discussion today if Hamilton got their team back then, and now it would be between Ottawa and Quebec City vying to be the next Canadian NHL city.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 5:19 PM
Ham-burgher

I wonder if there's a day the NHL is no longer around. And some bright people realize they can create a Canadian pro league that will be successful.

Of course, other supposedly bright people will then say "Hey, we can add Boston, and New York, and Chicago! Maybe Detroit, and other northeastern cities. Let's do that." and history may repeat...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I wonder if there's a day the NHL is no longer around. And some bright people realize they can create a Canadian pro league that will be successful.

Of course, other supposedly bright people will then say "Hey, we can add Boston, and New York, and Chicago! Maybe Detroit, and other northeastern cities. Let's do that." and history may repeat...
Why would there not be an NHL though? As long as there is a demand to pay money to watch pro hockey, the NHL isn't going to just evaporate and die.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 10:46 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Thanks for posting that.
I was in the Halifax Forum when I lived in the city 45 years ago and it seemed so old then. Really surprised it’s still around.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It's funny I was thinking about that yesterday. But I guess I was more in the line of cities without an NHL team.

Could a Canadian league, not including the NHL cities, survive or would that just be seen as an AHL lookalike. How would that effect the junior CHL?.

Just for a laugh here is the list of our 14 biggest hockey seating arenas (via Wikipedia) not in the NHL. Aside from travel concerns, not a bad start, only PEI, Manitoba and Alberta not listed and there are three NHL teams represented there.

Quebec City 18,259
Hamilton 17,383
Saskatoon 15,195
Halifax 10,595
Laval 10,000
London 9,100
Moncton 8,800
Kitchener 7,268
Victoria 7,006
Abbotsford 7,000
Windsor 6,500
Saint John 6,308
St. John's 6,247
Regina 6,200

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Why would there not be an NHL though? As long as there is a demand to pay money to watch pro hockey, the NHL isn't going to just evaporate and die.
Just a musing.

It's "big league" but not in the same sense as NFL, NBA, and MLB. This seems to be what Bettman and the collective ownership have always wanted, but they're not there and may never be. If TV money dries up, what then?

I also think the sports with higher risk of injury (head trauma, more specifically) are bound to die. I can imagine a world where pro football is no longer viable because the liability risk is too high, and the courts have ruled in favour of players who have suffered for playing the game and getting hurt with lasting life impacts. Hockey, as it's played today, could be at risk too.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I also think the sports with higher risk of injury (head trauma, more specifically) are bound to die.
Well, there goes girl's soccer, rainbow mafia won't be happy about that

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:50 PM

Just doing some reading on Quebec City's Videotron Centre. "Populous architect and lead project designer Kurt Amundsen described the arena as having a "hockey-first" design suiting the preferences of Canadian fans (who Amundsen described as being more interested in the game itself rather than in-arena entertainment), with a bowl that is "as steep and tight as it could possibly get", allowing spectators to "feel like [they] are on top of the ice". The angle of the upper seating bowl is so steep that rails had to be installed at every row to satisfy local building code requirements." Wikipedia

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Well, there goes girl's soccer, rainbow mafia won't be happy about that
I think soccer will survive, in its many forms. Basketball and baseball too.

It's the repeated head injuries (that are probably still under-diagnosed) that add up over time which may do in the NFL, CFL, and possibly NHL.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
It's the repeated head injuries (that are probably still under-diagnosed) that add up over time which may do in the NFL, CFL, and possibly NHL.
And soccer (see Northwestern University study)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 12:09 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
And soccer (see Northwestern University study)
Some sports could survive with a change in rules or play. North American football can never do that the way it is designed. Soccer might.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The angle of the upper seating bowl is so steep that rails had to be installed at every row to satisfy local building code requirements." Wikipedia
The upper level of SkyDome also has railings at every row, although I'm not sure either way if it was a building code requirement. It sure is needed though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 12:46 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
It's funny I was thinking about that yesterday. But I guess I was more in the line of cities without an NHL team.

Could a Canadian league, not including the NHL cities, survive or would that just be seen as an AHL lookalike. How would that effect the junior CHL?.

Just for a laugh here is the list of our 14 biggest hockey seating arenas (via Wikipedia) not in the NHL. Aside from travel concerns, not a bad start, only PEI, Manitoba and Alberta not listed and there are three NHL teams represented there.

Quebec City 18,259
Hamilton 17,383
Saskatoon 15,195
Halifax 10,595
Laval 10,000
London 9,100
Moncton 8,800
Kitchener 7,268
Victoria 7,006
Abbotsford 7,000
Windsor 6,500
Saint John 6,308
St. John's 6,247
Regina 6,200
The Centrium in Red Deer, AB seats over 7000.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 2:06 AM

Scotiabank Centre in Halifax capacity is 11,200 for hockey when you include the 47 luxury (sky) boxes.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Scotiabank Centre in Halifax capacity is 11,200 for hockey when you include the 47 luxury (sky) boxes.
Obviously none of the numbers quoted were maximum capacity just the number of hockey seats.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
The Centrium in Red Deer, AB seats over 7000.
Red Deer would have been next on the list with a maximum of 7819 and a hockey configuration of 6000. Don't blame the messenger folks, just using Wikipedia as a general reference. Edit; Just looking at the arena's wiki page, wiki is disagreeing with itself stating hockey seating is 7111.

Seeing as Alberta has two NHL teams I don't know if I would have Red Deer on my list. I am sure there would be some in the 14 that I posted that might not be included in my hypothetical Canadian league, I was just posting the biggest non-NHL rinks (according to Wiki)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:01 AM
Ham-burgher

The CPL was a good startup, and I think it was some forward-thinking owners wanting to establish something to generate revenue but also in case the CFL gets into a tight situation (not that I think it would! it's a survivor, and it would take a massive class-action lawsuit over long-term injury effects to kill it). Maybe we'll see similar for hockey... a CPHL.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:52 PM
Community Guy

Neat.

Canada Snowboard
1,638 followers
2h • 2 hours ago
Follow

⚡️It’s all happening! Riders are arriving, the construction crew is putting the finishing touches on the jump, and the vibes are going through the roof. We’ll see you in 4 days Edmonton!

https://www.linkedin.com/company/can...WnyPLiMQ%3D%3D

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 11:07 PM

^ Now that's different!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada