HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:32 PM

I think it would look better if the residential portions weren't set back from the street face facade personally.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post
I think it would look better if the residential portions weren't set back from the street face facade personally.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's a byproduct of preserving the facades of the original building(s).

The only way to not have the setback would be to demolish the facades completely and rebuild them integrated with the new structure.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post
I believe the setback is something that the Historic District Commission generally prefers on these types of projects, as it keeps the old buildings more original looking and the new part as more separate.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:41 PM

Setbacks like that are standard game in Toronto where older storefronts like that are retained. The City requests a 10 metre setback (30ft) - but often accepts less.

If you don't do it, you get it looking like this, and it looks fake:

providing a larger setback makes the buildings look a lot more "real":

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 7:19 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Yikes that first one looks sad. Proportionality needs to be considered with setbacks that said I think as a general rule of thumb Toronto has it right with the 10m setbacks with flexibility. Though the relative height and size of the corresponding buildings factors into finding that golden ratio.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 7:47 PM

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...ULY%202023.pdf

This document mentioned the 'open design'

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...ULY%202023.pdf

This document mentioned the 'open design'
Honestly looks pretty good. Though personally the rebuilt facade for the fire damaged portion looks really dark, but otherwise pretty good.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 5:04 PM

That could be a nice part of town if some height be given to the buildings directly behind this on Randolph. Sad that Monroe Blocks is dead and no information on this “Cadillac square “

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
That could be a nice part of town if some height be given to the buildings directly behind this on Randolph. Sad that Monroe Blocks is dead and no information on this “Cadillac square “
Monroe Blocks isn't dead last I heard, I thought they were waiting until after the draft to start construction.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 9:30 PM

That honestly looks pretty good!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 11:05 PM

some photos from around town on Friday:

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 11:52 AM

Ilitches to tear down Cass Avenue building once part of Detroit's historic Chinatown

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 5:17 PM

Does anyone know if CODA Brush Park has started yet? I haven't had a chance to swing by and look, but the developer told the Free Press a few months ago that they would break ground in June..

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 6:20 PM
Registered Ugly

Is it just me, or did anyone else expect MCS to be whitewashed like the Book Tower? Or is that part of the project yet to come?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 12:42 AM
Doc Love 3.0

Thanks for posting those Insertnamehere, dig the updates. There’s no way the concourse won’t be as for the tower that’s a question that’s been bothering me. My running assumption is that the front has been the focus of replacement of delicate stone work, perhaps historic windows will be included as part of a finalization of the facade work, I hope. The color has been a bit of a mystery, it definitely hasn’t gotten the Book treatment yet though with the attention to detail the project has it would be bizarre not to.

Here’s what the back & sides look like on a bight sunny day seems cleaner to me though hard to tell if it’s a trick of the light.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2CA-E4wjbKY

Gotta give a proper shout out to Historic Detroit they have really put in the time and effort to capture the recent changes at Detroit’s finest, Fisher, Book & MCS. https://historicdetroit.org/gallerie...ovation-photos

Photo by Helmut Ziewers (www.ziewersphotography.com) of HistoricDetroit.org

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 7:07 PM
Detroiter4life

Historic Detroit school building could be converted to apartments

Quote:
The Detroit Planning Commission on Thursday is considering a request to rezone the former William E. Higginbotham School at 20119 Wisconsin St., in the Garden Homes neighborhood near Eight Mile and Wyoming, so it could be turned into apartments by Detroit-based Urge Development Group.

The vacant school would be converted into 40 apartments while a pair of new garden-style apartment buildings would have 60 units across them, according to plans being considered today. In the school, there would be 10 studios, 24 one-bedroom and six two-bedroom apartments, while the new buildings would consist of 24 studios, 24 one-bedrooms and 12 two-bedroom units.

Urge Development owner Roderick Hardamon said there would be a mix of affordable housing, with some units affordable at rates between 50 to 80 percent of the Area Median Income, perhaps with some at 40 percent, as well.

That federally designated figure is sometimes controversial because it includes suburban income figures and therefore skews what is considered "affordable" upwards in a historically poor city. Generally, units at 50-60 percent at or below AMI levels are considered more within reach.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-apartment-use

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 3:28 AM

Construction begins on “The Beauton,” a new $7.3M mixed-use affordable housing project in North End Neighborhood

Quote:
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, Detroit developer Charles Dickerson III, officials, funders and community members today celebrated the groundbreaking of a new multi-family affordable housing development in Detroit’s North End. “The Beauton,” a $7.3 million mixed use building will bring another 29 units of brand-new affordable housing to Detroit.

The Beauton will provide 29 new affordable apartments: 10 micro-studio units, 15 studio units, 2 one-bedroom units, and 2 two-bedroom units. Many of the units are well below market rate to make them affordable to Detroiters living in the area. Units will have rents based on 50-120% of area median income (AMI), with over half of the units at or below 80%. Rents for the micro units will be as low as $700 per month. Under the agreement, affordability of the apartments is guaranteed for the next 12 years.

“North End has been seeing a lot of new investment and that can bring with it rent pressures for existing residents,” said Mayor Duggan. “The Beauton will bring 29 more units of much needed affordable housing to North End to help make sure residents of all income levels are able to live in a growing and thriving neighborhood.”

New have info on the multi floor restaurant being built as 1550 Woodward:

New sports bar coming to Downtown Detroit will honor Dan Gilbert's late son

Quote:
A new sports bar planned along Woodward Ave. in Downtown Detroit will honor Nick Gilbert, the late son of Rocket Mortgage Founder Dan Gilbert.

Bedrock Detroit, one of Gilbert's companies in the Rock Family of Companies, announced Monday that Gilly's will open next year at 1550 Woodward Ave., just south of Grand Circus Park.

Nick Gilbert helped create the initial concept and design for the project before he passed away at the age of 26 in May.

Catch a Glimpse of the Bars and Restaurants Coming to the Dramatically Restored Book Tower Downtown

Quote:
TheThe Book Tower, the historical architectural gem downtown designed a century ago by Louis Kamper currently undergoing a $300 million-plus restoration, is expected to welcome its first food and drink tenants as early as later this summer.

Brought on to come up with several dining and drinking options within the site’s 38 stories is Method Co., the hospitality group behind several spots outside of Michigan, including Wm. Mulherin’s Sons and Hiroki both out of Philadelphia, Charleston’s The Pinch, and The Quoin in Wilmington, Delaware.

Le Suprême

Bar Rotunda

Kamper's

Kamper's

Hiroki San

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 12:46 PM

Bellissima!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_Highground View Post

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 6:59 PM
Detroiter4life

Chris Webber scales back $175M Detroit cannabis plan as market sours

Quote:
Chris Webber's planned $175 million marijuana development in Detroit remains unfinished in southwest Detroit nearly two years since it was announced.

The NBA Hall-of-Famer and University of Michigan Fab 5 basketball star had planned an industry training complex, a 180,000-square-foot cultivation site, consumption lounge and dispensary at 2599 22nd Street south of Michigan Avenue. Webber's Players Only broke ground on the site in September 2021 and originally planned to finish the first phase of the build-out in March 2022.

But market conditions that sank marijuana prices by more than 56% between breaking ground and now have kept Webber from advancing on the project. He said the company still has plans but is scaling them back.

"The cannabis industry has really shifted in Michigan," Webber told Crain's. "Since the landscape has changed, we've had to adjust because we would not be smart to go with that plan."

Webber said prices remain too low in the state to follow through on planned investment.

"Where do the prices settle? The bottom of the ocean?" Webber said. "I am from Detroit and I love the city, the environment and the people. But this would not be the best time for the community or us in Detroit to have a profitable outcome."
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/cannab...n-hold-detroit

Last edited by DetroitMan; Jul 26, 2023 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 7:35 PM

As if that was ever going to happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations