HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 7:05 PM

[QUOTE=shivtim;9970990]^Have to wait for confirmation, but it looks like this went from "regular" apartments with a large parking deck, to furnished student apartments with very little parking. Sure it won't have as much of an impact on the skyline, but it's far better for the urban fabric of Peachtree street.[

And I think the overall design fits much better in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^Have to wait for confirmation, but it looks like this went from "regular" apartments with a large parking deck, to furnished student apartments with very little parking. Sure it won't have as much of an impact on the skyline, but it's far better for the urban fabric of Peachtree street.

Its definitely student apartments. https://lvcollective.com/work/rambler-atlanta/
They are also building a "Rambler" in downtown Athens.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 3:22 PM

Student apartments will provide some good street life for the area. I hope to see the AT&T food court across Cypress from this development to get redone with restaurants catering to the neighborhood. The spot has a lot of potential with it's huge patio, but it feels very corporate and sterile now. Would love to have a little beer garden there or something that's open past 4pm.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 1:48 PM

Private Student apartments can be rented by anyone of any age regardless if they are attending a college.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Private Student apartments can be rented by anyone of any age regardless if they are attending a college.
Exactly.

I know a few professionals who live in them. They're great for folks who don't want to have to own furniture, etc.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 1:08 AM

Dewnothing's Elevated Walkway Is Getting Disassembled

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrophile View Post
wait, disassembled?!?! So, now instead of doing nothing they are going backwards.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
wait, disassembled?!?! So, now instead of doing nothing they are going backwards.
I parked in that garage for several years and used to love that sky bridge when it was raining

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 12:00 PM

Portman buys land to expand Junction Krog project along Beltline

https://www.ajc.com/news/portman-buy...urce=intown_tw

Quote:
Portman doesn't expect to begin pursuing permits until summer 2024. The developer does not need to seek a rezoning.

A well-known Atlanta developer recently purchased more property along the Beltline to expand its mixed-use project near Krog Street Market.

Portman Holdings told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution it closed on 1.3 acres of land near Irwin and Sampson streets. Located at one of the Beltline’s most-traveled road crossings, the property will serve as the second phase of Portman’s Junction Krog project, which currently consists of a six-story office building that’s under construction.

Mike Greene, Portman’s vice president of development, said the new building will mimic the first one, incorporating 15,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and outdoor gathering spots. It will be a few floors taller and could include 220,000 square feet of offices.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 3:01 PM

It's beautiful... I just hope Yay Beignet can find a good home since it will be displaced.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 3:04 PM

Very high quality renderings. One thing i will credit Portman with these recent projects, slowly but surely they are doing a better job masking these parking structures. Not the prettiest or most inspiring structure, but i think their two contributions to this intersection are going to have a profound impact on this area and the Beltline. Pretty soon you will feel like you are in the heart of an urban area while standing at the intersection of Irwin and the Beltline. And hopefully this will have knock-on effects on the rest of the beltline and get people used to it (and enthusiastic about it) being "urbanized."

Edit: Also, love that the only vehicle ingress/egress is one point at the very end of the project on a side road. Midtown could learn a thing or two from this one.

Last edited by Sojourner_Terminus; Jun 26, 2023 at 3:06 PM. Reason: P.S.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 6:25 PM

Interesting that the Eastside BeltLine submarket is the most expensive office space in the Southeast. You can bank on it that a big reason for that is the coming streetcar extension.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Interesting that the Eastside BeltLine submarket is the most expensive office space in the Southeast. You can bank on it that a big reason for that is the coming streetcar extension.
A streetcar extension that Portman is against, weirdly.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 7:32 PM

Have they found a tenant for the offices on 14th & Spring?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
A streetcar extension that Portman is against, weirdly.
Wow! I wasn't aware of that, very surprising.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Wow! I wasn't aware of that, very surprising.
It is bizarre. I listened in on one of their community engagement skype sessions for their proposed Ponce development and I believe is was Mike Greene who commented on it. He told listeners who were concerned about the street car to let the city know because they too weren't fans. I couldn't believe they didnt see the value. Especially considering these developments have large office components. You would think alternative modes of transportation would be a selling point.

I think a big problem with the Beltline's public perception is that people see it as purely a leisure thing for walking on the weekends and grabbing an ice cream (which it totally is.) But what they don't see is that its also for commuting to work, and grabbing groceries, living a car free life, and so much more. I hope and pray that when the street car is delivered, more people will see its utility and beauty.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
It is bizarre. I listened in on one of their community engagement skype sessions for their proposed Ponce development and I believe is was Mike Greene who commented on it. He told listeners who were concerned about the street car to let the city know because they too weren't fans. I couldn't believe they didnt see the value. Especially considering these developments have large office components. You would think alternative modes of transportation would be a selling point.

I think a big problem with the Beltline's public perception is that people see it as purely a leisure thing for walking on the weekends and grabbing an ice cream (which it totally is.) But what they don't see is that its also for commuting to work, and grabbing groceries, living a car free life, and so much more. I hope and pray that when the street car is delivered, more people will see its utility and beauty.
I think they will, but who knows anymore? It was planned for rail from day one, so count me as unyielding on this subject.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I think they will, but who knows anymore? It was planned for rail from day one, so count me as unyielding on this subject.
I guess we'll know by whether its successful or not by maintaining high ridership. With it connecting to a serious amount of retail, restaurants, apartments and most importantly, a grocery store, we'll be out of excuses for the haters.

But i'll be counted among the supporters as well.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 1:52 AM

Guys it will never be built. The CPM* is outrageous. Wer hat so viel geld.
*cost per passenger mile

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Guys it will never be built. The CPM* is outrageous. Wer hat so viel geld.
*cost per passenger mile
And that would be a losing bet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta