HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 8:20 PM
TL;DR

I'm not ready to say good riddance to the riverfront expressway. We lost almost the entire sugar/warehouse district riverside of Decatur anyway, due to arson and neglect. Now it's parking lots. You can't see the river from Jackson Square because of the floodwall and that awful Washington Artillery thing. The riverfront park is nice but it's on piers; it could have easily coexisted withthe expressway.

It's also given us this counterproductive, reactionary attitude towards large projects - even benign things like Reinventing the Crescent.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not ready to say good riddance to the riverfront expressway. We lost almost the entire sugar/warehouse district riverside of Decatur anyway, due to arson and neglect. Now it's parking lots. You can't see the river from Jackson Square because of the floodwall and that awful Washington Artillery thing. The riverfront park is nice but it's on piers; it could have easily coexisted withthe expressway.

It's also given us this counterproductive, reactionary attitude towards large projects - even benign things like Reinventing the Crescent.
Whatever happened to the Reinventing the Crescent project? Is everything surrounding that just dead in the water? It looks like too good of an idea to go to waste.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:

Last edited by latour58zg; May 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 6:05 PM

Yulman Stadium Construction

Found a link to 2 live webcams for the construction of Tulane's Yulman Stadium:

http://tulaneathletics.s3.amazonaws....2/webcam2.html

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 11:25 PM

Read in a Citybusiness article (one of the locked ones) that HRI plans on starting construction at 225 Baronne in September.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 6:11 AM
TL;DR

Has anyone noticed the new streetcar shelter going up at Claiborne/Carrollton?

Not sure this will provide any actual cover during a rainstorm, but it's nice.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:39 AM

I also saw that CityBusiness had an update on the South Market District. Can anyone say if it's anything significant?

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:36 AM

It was mostly that financing was pretty much completed. Just waiting on some tax deal with the state worth 4 million bucks to finalize things. Otherwise, nothing ground breaking in the article.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
It was mostly that financing was pretty much completed. Just waiting on some tax deal with the state worth 4 million bucks to finalize things. Otherwise, nothing ground breaking in the article.
Did it say what would happen to the development if they don't get the tax deal? Because last week the law they were hoping for died.
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ket_distr.html

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:02 AM

No, the article did not get into that amount of detail. I really hope the financing is secure enough to get construction started with our without the tax break. Domain has managed to build several developments which are pretty much fully leased, so that at least that shows a track record of completing projects.

In some good news, the area now has non-stop service on Southwest Airlines to Austin. Service starts in November.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidell
In some good news, the area now has non-stop service on Southwest Airlines to Austin. Service starts in November.
About time... now we just need SAT.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 4:49 AM
TL;DR

New Pump Stations

I like the brick design. It's a lot better than the precast concrete stuff we've been getting out of the Corps recently.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:51 PM

New business

I guess this is good development news? LOL
http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/201..._river_default

At least their facility can't be worst than WWL's.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I guess this is good development news? LOL
http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/201..._river_default

At least their facility can't be worst than WWL's.
I think this is very good news. It mat increase our international exposure and at the very least it's nice to be put in the same category as those other cities

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I think this is very good news. It mat increase our international exposure and at the very least it's nice to be put in the same category as those other cities
Yeah Its good exposure I guess but the main reason I think this may be true is that Qatar is the main funder of the network and they have some connection here especially after donating the money to Xavier to build the new buildings on their campus.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 10:36 PM
TL;DR

Not sure about that. They're planning bureaus in numerous US cities. I think they just want to compete with the big networks by offering stories from places OTHER than NY, LA, DC, Atlanta, etc.

Basically New Orleans is just a home base for coverage of the Gulf Coast. If they can drive out to a breaking story in Lake Charles or Pensacola faster than CNN's guys can fly, then it makes sense. We generate news every hurricane season, and oil spill coverage, sporting events, movie production, etc has attracted a lot of media attention.

A bureau, by the way, is just three guys with an office somewhere and a satellite van with camera equipment. They're not gonna be building anything.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Not sure about that. They're planning bureaus in numerous US cities. I think they just want to compete with the big networks by offering stories from places OTHER than NY, LA, DC, Atlanta, etc.

Basically New Orleans is just a home base for coverage of the Gulf Coast. If they can drive out to a breaking story in Lake Charles or Pensacola faster than CNN's guys can fly, then it makes sense. We generate news every hurricane season, and oil spill coverage, sporting events, movie production, etc has attracted a lot of media attention.

A bureau, by the way, is just three guys with an office somewhere and a satellite van with camera equipment. They're not gonna be building anything.
CNN actually has their gulf coast bureau located in the office building adjacent to the Regency.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 3:47 PM

Whole Foods Refresh Project Breaks Ground Today

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:22 PM

Miami just had a competition for a similar downtown landmark as that being considered for the WTC site:

http://dawntown.org/2013/05/08/landm...ers-announced/

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 7:15 PM

Second Costco Coming to . . . Baton Rouge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations