HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 10:22 PM

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 10:19 PM

This just randomly popped into my mind and i figured id see what you all thought. What if the Chop/medical center wanted to expand physically? Obviously for a little while they are able to build upwards but eventually, when the time comes where do we see them expanding into? Area around pennovation works/Chop reseach towers?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 10:54 PM

Saw this today
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...expansion.html

Roberts said specific details surrounding the expansion plans would be announced soon. Comcast is the largest public company headquartered in Philadelphia, one of the biggest employers and occupiers of real estate — specifically at its two namesake skyscrapers in Center City.
Roberts' comments come a day after the Business Journal reported that Comcast Spectacor recently presented plans to a neighborhood group for a massive mixed-use development at the South Philadelphia Sports complex that would include space for office, residential, retail, multiple hotels and a concert venue.
When asked about expansion plans in the city, Roberts said, "Philadelphia is home, the heart and soul of the company."
"We’ve got to be global and local at the same time," Roberts told the Business Journal at Comcast Converge, an event showcasing new technology to media and stakeholders. "So we have expansion plans. We’re all getting people back to work. That’s now a big success, the energy in this building has never been better, the food on campus and around the neighborhoods. We’re starting the next chapter and I’m looking forward to some expansion and we’re going to have more to talk about even later this month on in the city, in the sports arena too. A lot of good things are happening."

(Apologies if this was posted somewhere already)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
This just randomly popped into my mind and i figured id see what you all thought. What if the Chop/medical center wanted to expand physically? Obviously for a little while they are able to build upwards but eventually, when the time comes where do we see them expanding into? Area around pennovation works/Chop reseach towers?
CHOP is currently building a new hospital, which in addition to Penns new hospital will future-proof both for capacity pretty well. Both allowed them to expand AND move to single-occupancy rooms, so worst case scenario, all the new rooms could probably be doubled-up again. I believe CHOPs tower will even open with some empty floors.

For research they seem more willing to expand, while patient care requires physical connectivity. I picture more movement in research buildings in Pennovation, but the kind that will not involve patient involvement due to it not being a particularly welcoming area

Beyond that, there are some other possibilities for Penn: there is an old 1973 labs building diagonal from the old Penn hospital which could be reached by skybridge, and there is the parking garage at the Penn Museum (contiguous with the New Hospital Pavilion).

For CHOP, it's harder, but Seashore house will be demoed after the new hospital is built, which is planned to be green space initially so it doesn't block the new tower, but could always fit an addition.

For either/both, there's a few options for expansion that may not be reachable by skybridge: a parking garage on Curie owned by Penn, and if they're ever sold, parking lots at the VA or even some of the VA campus itself. These could potentially hold outpatient/specialty services which could then free up the outpatient buildings that are physically connected to the main hospitals if needed

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:56 AM
Philly Pholly

Amazing shots.
Philly is looking so good
How beautiful is the Laurel?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:03 AM

Quote:
The VA Hospital will be closing in a few years, I'm sure Penn/HUP will be the buyer. Lots of real estate there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:31 AM

Ooooo is Comcast III back in play? Curious.

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts promises further expansion in Philadelphia

Quote:
Comcast Corp. has plans to further expand its presence in Philadelphia, CEO Brian Roberts told the Business Journal on Tuesday.

Roberts said specific details surrounding the expansion plans would be announced soon. Comcast is the largest public company headquartered in Philadelphia, one of the biggest employers and occupiers of real estate — specifically at its two namesake skyscrapers in Center City.

Roberts' comments come a day after the Business Journal reported that Comcast Spectacor recently presented plans to a neighborhood group for a massive mixed-use development at the South Philadelphia Sports complex that would include space for office, residential, retail, multiple hotels and a concert venue.

When asked about expansion plans in the city, Roberts said, "Philadelphia is home, the heart and soul of the company."

"We’ve got to be global and local at the same time," Roberts told the Business Journal at Comcast Converge, an event showcasing new technology to media and stakeholders. "So we have expansion plans. We’re all getting people back to work. That’s now a big success, the energy in this building has never been better, the food on campus and around the neighborhoods. We’re starting the next chapter and I’m looking forward to some expansion and we’re going to have more to talk about even later this month on in the city, in the sports arena too. A lot of good things are happening."

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Feb 14, 2024 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Surely he is talking about building out around the stadiums?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
Surely he is talking about building out around the stadiums?
He did say expansion plans “in the city, in the sports arena too.”

Sounds like both.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Saw this today
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...expansion.html

(Apologies if this was posted somewhere already)
My guess on this is that perhaps they'll make their huge proposal for the Sports Complex more real by announcing themselves as an anchor office tenant? I could see that being an appealing secondary office location for them since it allows them to market an accessible location for NJ and DE talent traveling over the WWB and up 95. And making their lease part of the deal would probably make an initial phase of such a project pencil out more easily.

Alternately, I can't recall if they still control the parking lot on the NW corner of 19th and Arch. They had played around with a third tower for that site a long time ago. I could see them also wanting to continue expansion at their main campus.

Or maybe it's a surprise option 3!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
My guess on this is that perhaps they'll make their huge proposal for the Sports Complex more real by announcing themselves as an anchor office tenant? I could see that being an appealing secondary office location for them since it allows them to market an accessible location for NJ and DE talent traveling over the WWB and up 95. And making their lease part of the deal would probably make an initial phase of such a project pencil out more easily.

Alternately, I can't recall if they still control the parking lot on the NW corner of 19th and Arch. They had played around with a third tower for that site a long time ago. I could see them also wanting to continue expansion at their main campus.

Or maybe it's a surprise option 3!
Yeah the loads of NJ DE talent that the world over is clamoring for... I have a friend in HR there and any real important position they can recruit nationally for if they'd like and lower positions are highly sought after. Entry level positions gobbled up by local University grads who 1) are pumped to get a job there and 2) disproportionately OK with commuting to or living in Center City.

This stadium stuff is all nonsense - they've owned properties down there for like 30 years and now, with the Sixers proposal gaining steam, SUDDENLY, AMAZINGLY are interested in developing down there. Give me a break

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:23 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Comcast office near the stadiums. They have a very similar setup outside of Atlanta at Truist Park. They have an Xfinity Live type thing and then a Comcast corporate building visible from the outfield.

https://www.choateco.com/project/com...llpark-center/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:19 PM

'A huge opportunity': After almost 50 years, Philadelphia set to go all in on 'Rocky' tourism

Quote:
Nearly 50 years after the premiere of "Rocky," Philadelphia tourism organizations are embracing the global popularity of the film and its association with the city.

Following the surprising success of the Rocky Shop at its newest visitor center adjacent to the Rocky steps and statue at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in early December, the Philadelphia Visitor Center Corp. and some of its tourism partners are now planning a larger event this year celebrating the 1976 film in a push to attract more visitors to the city.

“We knew the steps were a draw, we knew the statue was a draw, but I think we sort of think of it as something people do when they come here for something else," said Kathryn Ott Lovell, CEO of Philadelphia Visitor Center Corp. "I don’t think we really understood that the steps and the statue themselves are a tourism draw, period."

The Dec. 3 grand opening of the Rocky Shop, which sells an assortment of licensed Rocky merchandise from the Sly Stallone Shop, actor Sylvester Stallone's brand, featured an appearance from Stallone, who played the fictional boxer in the film and its sequels, and a resolution from the city declaring Dec. 3 "Rocky Day" in Philadelphia. Despite the celebrity appearance, Ott Lovell only expected a few hundred people to attend the grand opening.

Instead, she was shocked to see people from as far away as Canada, Chile and Ecuador camping out at the foot of the Art Museum steps overnight or arriving at 6 a.m. to secure a spot. In total, she estimates a few thousand people attended the event, many of whom where international tourists that are fans of Rocky and Stallone.

“It really became clear quickly, both that weekend and then the day of, certainly, that we had tapped into something, like a huge opportunity," Ott Lovell said.

Days after the event wrapped up, Philadelphia Visitor Center began discussions with its tourism partners to see how they could turn the event into its own tourism draw instead of a promotional tool for the Visitor Center. Details are still being ironed out, but Ott Lovell said this year will likely include a week- or weeks-long series of activations centered around the popular movie franchise.

The Visitor Center will work with its partners to plan the event and its offerings. Visit Philadelphia, for example, will likely offer hotel packages for guests, and the Museum of Art is also seeing what it can do to attract visitors. According to Ott Lovell, Stallone has also expressed interest in coming back to the city for future Rocky Days and in trying to help the Art Museum attract more visitors, especially those from younger generations.
Read/view more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-stallone.html

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
He did say expansion plans “in the city, in the sports arena too.”

Sounds like both.
Comcast Tower 3?!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 10:09 PM
Chris

Deleted. Wrong thread

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:21 AM
Creative Ambitions

North Philly’s Fairhill will get more public housing than it lost, plus a rehabbed rec center with an indoor pool

A new proposal would preserve two of the Philadelphia Housing Authority's last high rise towers for use as senior housing, along with adding a further 150 townhome units and a new community center.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20240220.html

An interesting project, good on the PHA for preserving the towers instead of demolishing, a good rehab can make them 10x better.

Unlike NYC Philly has demolished many of its Project towers, leaving the remaining towers around the city as senior and family housing. I think in many cases it was the right decision due to the conditions of the time.

This project if done correctly can be a model on fixing up economically depressed neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:00 PM

I remember there's a similar plan for the towers around 43rd and market. I like the Fairhill project too, breaking up the superblock will be nice, and incorporating the surrounding vacant lots will help as well. The way the two towers sit there park side with the road running through makes it look like it was designed to be that way all along.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 3:24 PM
America's Hometown

It would be nice if Comcast moved all of NBC's sports division to Philadelphia...maybe anchor that in the complex in South Philly. It would be better than Stamford, CT.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
It would be nice if Comcast moved all of NBC's sports division to Philadelphia...maybe anchor that in the complex in South Philly. It would be better than Stamford, CT.
That's a great idea. Who wants to work in Stamford anyway.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
The VA Hospital will be closing in a few years, I'm sure Penn/HUP will be the buyer. Lots of real estate there.
That report that came out a couple of years ago was only a recommendation, not an actual plan. It's kind of like BRAC in the DoD; they can make suggestions and recommendations on which bases will close but it's a long drawn out process and some bases do not close. I doubt the VA is closing in "a few years" if ever. Of course, this can change with who is leading the government at the time.

That being said, the building is outdated and has tons of issues (water pipes breaking and flooding departments mainly).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations