HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:38 PM

Yes, I noticed it was torn down. Are they rebuilding or is it going to be a new development?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 9:59 PM

It was mentioned earlier in this thread, check a page or two back. They are redeveloping with a brand new building. The render looked pretty nice actually. A sort've "shade tree mechanic" homey style building that should fit in well around there.

Found it. Post 6666. Ominious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Everett's Car Care on Smythe is going to be torn down next month and replaced with a new facility:

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM
The Sheriff

Its not over guys, city still is thinking about buying out the irock lease

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...yout-1.3132437

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:28 PM

I think it is over; the CBC article's wording is just awkward. Since the lease decision was passed by council, the Mayor has to reconvene the council to get them to reconsider the decision in order to reverse it. That's what tonight's session is about.

I'd hope that they're smart enough to realize that after the uproar last week, doing anything but cancelling the lease decision would be a bad idea?

Of course, that doesn't mean they won't come out with some other stupid decision:

"Good news everyone! The iRock building owner decided to cut us a deal. It'll only cost us 75,000$ to rent it for 5 months now, instead of 150,000$. An absolute steal for the protection of downtown."

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:37 PM
The Sheriff

I should buy the property and open a Hooters. Clean bar good taste and great food no exotic license needed, You want in Tally ?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:39 PM

Nah, Hooters is too main stream. We should get a Twin Peak's license, tap into the Biker Gang crowd.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
I should buy the property and open a Hooters. Clean bar good taste and great food no exotic license needed, You want in Tally ?
Great food? Have you been to a Hooters?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:43 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Great food? Have you been to a Hooters?
Nope never been. We can have a local restaurant make the food for our business then

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:30 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Nah, Hooters is too main stream. We should get a Twin Peak's license, tap into the Biker Gang crowd.

I just google "Twin Peaks" doesn't look like there is any in Canada. But from the looks of it, it would be a winner for sure

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:02 PM

Ugh. Nevermind what I said earlier. Up93.1 is reporting (not on their website yet) that the Council has decided to go ahead with the lease.

Randy Dickenson was apparently the only one who voted FOR reversing the lease.

Fox's confirmation

Quote:
Fredericton will spend $150,000 to lease the former iRock Nightclub for five months after all.

Last Monday, council voted to lease the former bar until its exotic entertainment licence expires to prevent organized crime groups from acquiring the building.

But on Friday, Mayor Brad Woodside tweeted that the city no longer had a need to lease the building.

A special council meeting was held Tuesday to rescind the motion to lease the building.

At the meeting, Woodside said Public Safety Minister Stephen Horsman told council in a letter that he would "take into consideration" the city's concerns if someone applied to the province for an exotic entertainment licence at the location.

The city's legal council said they were not aware of any provisions that would allow the minister to deny a duly qualified application, nor did they have any guarantees that some action would not take place in the future against the city if they decided not to go ahead with the lease.

Some councillors said they feel the costs of leasing the building outweight the potential costs that could arise with organized crime in the area.

In the end, council voted against the motion to rescind the resolution to lease the property, meaning the city will go ahead with the lease.

Woodside and all of the councillors left the council chambers immediately following the meeting.

After the meeting, Bruce McCormack of Downtown Fredericton Inc. says the city made the right choice to lease the property.

McCormack says his organization has heard from a number of business owners who were concerned about what could have happened if the property fell into the hands of an organized crime group.
So if I read that right, the Province decides on the licenses, and would take the city's feelings into consideration for any new licenses.

I fail to see how 5 months will make much difference. If it was acceptable before, then requesting a new one or an extension should effectively be the same (with probably a bit more paperwork I suppose). Reality is there is likely a lot more paperwork, but ugh... *sigh*

Last edited by Taeolas; Jun 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:24 PM
Any where but Fredericton

This is a total waste of money. This Mayor and Council can not make a decision at all. Flip Flop. Brad even tweeted and I quote word for word " The City no longer has a need to lease the IRock. This lease was never signed and never will be signed. Have a great weekend"

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
So if I read that right, the Province decides on the licenses, and would take the city's feelings into consideration for any new licenses.

I fail to see how 5 months will make much difference. If it was acceptable before, then requesting a new one or an extension should effectively be the same (with probably a bit more paperwork I suppose). Reality is there is likely a lot more paperwork, but ugh... *sigh*
It's not the same though – in its current state the property is considered "legal non-conforming" which means:

Quote:
A type of zoning variance where a parcel of land may be given an exception from current zoning ordinances due to improvements made by a prior owner or before the current zoning ordinances made the desired use non-conforming under local law.
It's not a matter of paperwork. My understanding is that the province is the entity that provides the actual license but it's up to the city to determine where the business can be located via zoning. Via the city's current zoning regulations strip clubs are not allowed but the iRock property has an exemption that eventually expires at which point the legal non conforming status goes away.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 11:05 AM

I see Digital World is opening up a northside location on Main Street(apparently under a different store name). It is in the strip mall that used to have Foodland. Currently the Red Lantern, ScotiaBank and some mom and pop shops are the tenants.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 5:24 PM

^^^

I just saw that! They are well runs stores that don't feel like a pawn shop at all. It should do well in that are also, since there are no pawn shops on the North side to speak of.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 8:38 PM

I almost wish they went into the old Crappy Tire building instead; so we might see the day for the old Foodland minimall finally getting torn down.

Still, it does fill the shops and it should do well over here so I wish htem well.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 1:18 AM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
^^^

I just saw that! They are well runs stores that don't feel like a pawn shop at all. It should do well in that are also, since there are no pawn shops on the North side to speak of.

Exactly what that area doesn't need is another pawn shop/ Thrift Store. This is the reason why no good stores want to come to the north side on Main Street. I wish they would really clean up Main Street

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 6:51 AM

If you have ever been in Digital world you would know it's not just a pawn shop. It's clean , respectful and a good local business. A pawn shop was bound to appear in this area and I am glad it will be a reputable business rather than rick's pawn formerly of Devon, or something similar.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 10:32 AM

Yeah, Digital World isn't Haley's Auto Sales & Pawn Shop further down on Main closer to the stone bridge on the corner of Main/Sunset drive. Need a guitar/lawn mower/1997 Chevy Cavalier? Come on down to Haley's!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooCowMilk View Post
Yeah, Digital World isn't Haley's Auto Sales & Pawn Shop further down on Main closer to the stone bridge on the corner of Main/Sunset drive. Need a guitar/lawn mower/1997 Chevy Cavalier? Come on down to Haley's!
This might sound dumb but I have been in Fredericton, and Never seen Haley's.
Is Haley's Auto Sales & Pawn Shop on Main connected to the one listed as: Haley`s Pawn Shop 286 Restigouche Rd. Oromocto, NB in any way shape or form?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:04 PM

No clue. I go by it daily on my commute. Random lawnmowers, ATV's, beater cars out in the parking lot, sign says electronics, gold, musical instruments. Usual pawn shop fare. Never bothered to make my way inside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces