HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 2:30 PM

I HATE when Calgary adds a bunch of Blick to their uniforms... Red helmets > black helmets

Same with BC: Orange and white >> orange and black

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 2:36 PM
I am the law!

Redblacks is a silly name. Sounds like they tried too hard to incorporate past franchises in a made up name as to not offend anyone. They're the Lumberjacks.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:00 PM

BC's home orange and black jerseys look awesome.
Didn't like the away orange and whites as much.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Redblacks is a silly name. Sounds like they tried too hard to incorporate past franchises in a made up name as to not offend anyone. They're the Lumberjacks.
I agree that the team's identity is basically "lumberjacks" even if that isn't the actual given name? Given that it's Ottawa, I wonder if translatability factored into it? e.g. REDBLACKS and Rouge et Noir work better than Les Lumberjacks de Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:18 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hey now, they have a more legit claim to red than Calgary (aka the red and white) does to black
Haha - I agree.
I so wish Ottawa would just return to their 1970s jerseys. That was a perfect football uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I HATE when Calgary adds a bunch of Blick to their uniforms... Red helmets > black helmets

Same with BC: Orange and white >> orange and black
I agree with Calgary comment although I don’t mind a little bit of black outlining like bordering the horse and numerals.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 1940’s retro uniforms the Stamps are wearing at home have grown on me. I wish they would go with a white version on the road.

I disagree with the BC comment. BC HAS to have black in their color scheme. They have the home uniforms figured out but they need more black on the road whites. Currently they are too “creamsicle” like.

Last edited by craner; Jul 1, 2022 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree that the team's identity is basically "lumberjacks" even if that isn't the actual given name? Given that it's Ottawa, I wonder if translatability factored into it? e.g. REDBLACKS and Rouge et Noir work better than Les Lumberjacks de Ottawa
Les Bûcherons d'Ottawa?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Haha - I agree.

I agree with Calgary comment although I don’t mind a little bit of black outlining like bordering the horse and numerals.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 1940’s retro uniforms the Stamps are wearing at home have grown on me. I wish they would go with a white version on the road.

I disagree with the BC comment. BC HAS to have black in their color scheme. They have the home uniforms figured out but they need more black on the road whites. Currently they are too “creamsicle” like.
Exactly

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
They really should have just gone with Rouge et Noir outright. Naming your team after the colours of flannel is fine, but it's the combining of the two into a single word (and saying the "official" name is in all caps") that does me in.

But at least we can all agree: Riders should never wear black ever again. Y'all can keep it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 6:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
They really should have just gone with Rouge et Noir outright. Naming your team after the colours of flannel is fine, but it's the combining of the two into a single word (and saying the "official" name is in all caps") that does me in.
Truth be told most francophones in Ottawa and even in Gatineau refer to the team as "Les Redblacks" and not "Le Rouge et Noir", though the media and the team always use the French name.

Which is a departure from what people usually do, e.g. the Ottawa Senators which are always referred to as "Les Sénateurs" in French.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Agree… way back when they were just getting off the ground and hadn’t name the team yet I actually sent an email to consider the “Red Riflemen”… seemed decent to me at the time I guess, and trying to stay with the RR theme.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 1:03 AM

Not sure if possible but this Elks team might be worse than last years they just really struggle to generate offense.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:18 AM

Maybe not ticats on verge of choking again holly smokes

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:23 AM
Community Guy

Elkssssssssssss!!!!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:23 AM

Wow ticats blow another one looks like they should have kept Masoli instead of Evans

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Not sure if possible but this Elks team might be worse than last years they just really struggle to generate offense.
Nice to see (although he wasn't too good) that Ford did just enough to get him another start. IMO, unlike BC for Rourke, the OC didn't do much to help Ford, seemed like terrible play calling to me. Noticed again when the high profile running back goes down the Canadian fullback guy comes in and does well. These guys are a lot faster than the blocking fullbacks of old. (Litre - 4 carries 34 yards)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Wow ticats blow another one looks like they should have kept Masoli instead of Evans
When I saw Evans on the bench at the end of the game, it reminded me of why I go on about negativity not helping matters. The Ti-Cats are right on that precipice where they can still turn it around, or the snowball will start getting bigger rolling down the hill. It is all important for their fans to up their support right now and not boo the team, they aren't that bad. They still had resilience (and time) on the final drive. Had they scored there was no way the Elks could have come back. This team will go as the fans, media go. It is more human nature to quit rather than fight. I always think of the 2011 Lions team that went 0-5 and ended up winning the Grey Cup. There's still a lot of football to be played for fans to write off the Cats yet.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
I'm no Ticats fan but that was pretty heartbreaking to see Evans despondent on the bench, knowing that he blew it.

Ticats should by rights be 2-2 but those late game epic collapses get you every time...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 3:01 PM

With the emergence of Tre Ford and Nathan Rourke I hope the CFL and Genius sports really starts marketing these kids as they are well spoken talented QBs you can build the league around. Get them in Nissan and Save on Foods commercials get them promoting the various new apps for betting the CFL has just get them out there.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 4:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
It's not that simple.

Evans will be fine, IF:
- offensive play calling improves
- receivers run routes that go past the 1st down marker, with more crossing patterns
- players catch the ball, and if they can't then don't let it bounce off your hands into those of the opponent (I'd wager half of our INTs have happened that way)
- there's a commitment to a run game that, you know, makes more use of the running backs
- the offensive line gets its shit together

The team's inability to do all that means Evans has been forcing plays too much. He's still developing and does make the odd mistake, but I don't pin this loss on him, or the others. The final blow may have come down to his choices or errors a few times this year, but the team wasting opportunities and not playing soundly up to that point has largely been the reason for losing.

Defensively the team did not do well either, and it wasn't just a case of that happening in the 4th quarter. Tackling was piss poor (too many guys going in to lay on a hit, rather than a technically sound tackle where one actually wraps arms around the ball carrier). Pressure inconsistent, rushing three when we really should be pressing with 4 or blitzing the hell out of a young rookie. I don't know why we like to drop our DEs into coverage, it makes little sense. We leave gaps in coverage that allowed that young rookie to find receivers for good gains.

Special teams has been the only area Hamilton has been doing well, even with a kicker who makes one close their eyes and hope for the best when he lines up for a field goal or convert.

The Ticats have a lot to fix. QB isn't part of that.

There's time, but they will have to annihilate the east teams to even make the playoffs now. Their remaining games vs. the west are against a vastly improved Lions squad in three weeks, and against the Bombers and Riders at home (weeks 15 and 18) with one in Calgary following that.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 4:20 PM

ticats biggest issue is in the trenches their oline is too weak and more physical teams like the bombers have a cake walk beating them up every time and now the ticats dline has no punch and lawerence seems to have regressed big time this year and they cant get any pressure going.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada