HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

oOo it's lamost doooone..

I still don't know if I like the bluish tinge to the white panels..

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:47 PM

gorgeous!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:56 PM

Big fan of the off-white panels.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:59 PM

Also big fan of the various setbacks. Really breaks up the tower and gives it a dynamic look. Brad Lamb should do the same with TV City.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Love it! Great job LIUNA and Hi-Rise!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Also big fan of the various setbacks. Really breaks up the tower and gives it a dynamic look. Brad Lamb should do the same with TV City.
There isn't really the same amount of room for those towers

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 7:31 PM

I totally didn't realize those white panels are the finished product. Thought it was all going to be the same. But now that I'm starring at it, it looks really cool. Excellent building, it's different, we need more of that here.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 12:03 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Love it. I agree that the setbacks really work for it....also the coloured panels at the back end of the crown are a really neat way to add colour. This project is a great addition to Hamilton.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 1:33 AM
Hamilton Historian

Is this building going to be uplit at night? I'd really love to see those details lit up at night..

Also is that setback surface area at the top by the bright red panels going to be used for anything? It looks like there is quite a lot of space up on top..

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 5:24 PM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:17 AM

it's ok .... definitely an improvement over what has been happening until recently, however, some on here are speaking as if this is the Taj Mahal - relax... lol it's a mediocre semi-interesting suburban building.... Burlington has dozens of these scattered all over it's annoying suburbs and they are more architecturally interesting

don't mean to offend anyone if that's how it came across ... just saying it's not all that

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
it's ok .... definitely an improvement over what has been happening until recently, however, some on here are speaking as if this is the Taj Mahal - relax... lol it's a mediocre semi-interesting suburban building.... Burlington has dozens of these scattered all over it's annoying suburbs and they are more architecturally interesting

don't mean to offend anyone if that's how it came across ... just saying it's not all that

Sadly, anything that isn't beige stucco is big news in Hamilton. Lol

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 2:22 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:

It's more along the fact with how this was treated in combination with the historical elements maintained for the facade.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:09 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Beg to differ about Burlington's buildings of architectural interest.

The WTR is not something we'd see in Bilbao celebrated across the world, but it is different for Hamilton and hopefully the start of a wave of different.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Did writing this post actually make you feel good?

I can't figure out what your point is except to throw cold water on a bunch of people who are legitimately pleased with this building. Perhaps you've been overcome by some sort of Toronto superiority complex. It happens. Transplants are the worst, in fact.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Did writing this post actually make you feel good?

I can't figure out what your point is except to throw cold water on a bunch of people who are legitimately pleased with this building. Perhaps you've been overcome by some sort of Toronto superiority complex. It happens. Transplants are the worst, in fact.

Your ignorance is shockingly refreshing .... I wasn't throwing cold water on anyone funny you feel this way ... Did you design the building yourself?

I only lived in Toronto for a while ... From Hamilton most of my life and recently came back to Hamilton because of my love for Hamilton .... And if you feel that I am superior because I lived in Toronto (I find that awkward) but thank you

Now if you feel that transplants are the worst .... I feel bad for you because everyone in Hamilton is a transplant from somewhere else and you are insulting us all

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 1:05 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I can get it if people think some of the cladding on this tower is rather....unimpressive, or if they don't like the slabby typology of it.....but in context of the city and downtown area it's built on, this building is a good way of contributing to the city in a way that respects the history of the site (tower is built to angle from the facade of the historic building, to cause no looming kind of way of dominating the façade) and area whilst also revitalizing an older building and offering new homes for people to shop and work in the area.

The pop of colour in this development is a refreshing manner of making some visual interest without looking garish in a city environment...and the setbacks stray away from making this seem to be a conservative manner of architectural form, something all too common in many parts of Canada (heck the world) in many different countries, partly for pragmatics.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:40 AM

Massing & setbacks are great! Cladding is a little meh. It's just window wall and aluminum panels. Kind of poorly detailed and could be a lot neater around the corners/transitions from the dark/striped areas to the white, but I believe this is the first tower the architect has designed and built, so you've got to give them credit! I think I would have been in favour of eliminating the white sections and carrying the stripes all the way up. I know the city wanted a lighter top to make the tower feel less tall, and this works when there is an actual step back to help the transition, but the areas where the window wall shifts from dark to light with no transition in depth feels really off to me. I honestly feel that it makes the tower feel top heavy despite having a lighter coloured cladding. Perhaps using a silver or lighter grey instead of white could have solved this.

Also f-u LIUNA for only using brick on the weeniest section of this building. It looks weird. If only the offset brick wrapped window pattern was carried all the way up the tower

It's going to feel pretty tiny soon once LIUNA gets started on their King & Hughson project.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:16 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
It's going to feel pretty tiny soon once LIUNA gets started on their King & Hughson project.
I am still not sold on the brick main floor design on the corner of hughson and king they have proposed - it's very meh. It's like people have forgotten how to design buildings they can't easily render in autocad revit (3d autocad program).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:14 PM

Crews were up on the front lift giving the facade a final cleaning. It looked like it was getting a dry blast with some kind of medium, not water. Definitely looked brighter. Probably easier to do it once the stones are laid rather than cleaning the individual pieces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton