HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 9:22 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I have to disagree. The B-Line right now seems very over-crowded at rush-hour with lengthy lines to get onto it. It doesn't help that they restrict boarding to the front door only at Surrey Central. An LRT will be a much more efficient for loading / off-loading, with much better capacity than an articulated bus, and better comfort.
Long lines? The 96 is still relatively infrequent. Capacity can still be doubled and even tripled by adding more buses to the route.

Front-door boarding? I agree, this is a big issue. All-door boarding should be a given on all B-Lines, if only even just to give the branding some meaning. But in any case, this is something that can be solved without LRT.

Comfort? Is it worth a billion dollars?

I should say though, I admit that I am probably a bit of a radical in my views. I think LRT/streetcars are one of the biggest problems/mistakes in modern transportation planning. I've tried to be more open-minded, but I guess I'm just stubborn

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Long lines? The 96 is still relatively infrequent. Capacity can still be doubled and even tripled by adding more buses to the route.

Front-door boarding? I agree, this is a big issue. All-door boarding should be a given on all B-Lines, if only even just to give the branding some meaning. But in any case, this is something that can be solved without LRT.

Comfort? Is it worth a billion dollars?

I should say though, I admit that I am probably a bit of a radical in my views. I think LRT/streetcars are one of the biggest problems/mistakes in modern transportation planning. I've tried to be more open-minded, but I guess I'm just stubborn
If you're radical then I must be too.

I can see the point of on-ground rail (not going to get into which variety / technology) - but it has to be somewhere that's separate from car traffic and doesn't have frequent cross streets to deal with. The Surrey LRT plan fails that criteria.

IF they barricaded the King George run and made the smaller cross streets right in / out, then it would pass enough to be plausible. But that would remove ability to do a left turn on King George except for at major cross streets, which would not go over well with drivers.

Honestly the best scenario in this situation is for more B-Line buses. Surrey is pretty under-served by transit, which is why so many people there drive. FYI "With 377 cars per 1000 residents in 2013 (570/1000 in Germany), Berlin as a Western world city has one of the lowest numbers of cars per capita." - that hardly makes Berlin a good comparison to what would happen anywhere in the region.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 9:47 AM
(daka_x)

With all the touring I've done of rapid transit systems internationally (particularly in Asia) I've come to the conclusion that any notion that SkyTrain's elevated guideways "don't integrate with the community" is either a complete myth or a completely subjective viewpoint that really doesn't reflect any sort of planning or desirability reality in urban cities. They want you to think that it doesn't but there's really no objective way to come to that conclusion.

For one, most people in the anti-SkyTrain crowd I have heard don't seem to consider that there's something you can do with that land underneath the guideway to keep it productive. In Japan, where elevated guideways (for trains, but even elevated expressways) are a part of life due to scarcity of land among other issues, the space underneath guideways is often used for shops, bicycle parking or roadways (communities in Japan actually celebrate the closure of at-grade train lines when they are moved into viaducts/tunnels, and see it as a liberation for the local community). Similarly, Melbourne, Australia is moving one of its at-grade suburban train lines onto a viaduct, turning it into a regional rapid transit spine, and plans to use the space underneath for community recreation. You don't build train lines on a guideway and get nothing underneath - even our own SkyTrain lines have multi-use paths running underneath.

Concerns of a visual impact with SkyTrain can be understandable, but you can dampen a lot of the visual impact and surrounding attitude with something as simple as a change in perspective. The naysayers keep saying it can't be done and I say they are wrong.

If all this is happening on Monday I might consider attending the meeting just to observe the process. I wanna see what PCI's people's attitudes are surrounding this - I would say that what the City report outlines is an understatement of the impact. PCI has already had detailed plans for their 2nd building that will need to be thrown out with the relocation of the roadway. That's potentially tens of thousands of dollars, and hours of work thrown out the window - along with new dollars and hours required to redesign everything - all due to the lack of planning foresight by the City. Most developers have been lukewarm to the idea of LRT in Surrey, but now that reality is settling in, earlier plans are being thrown out, and the land acquisition bill is getting larger and larger, I am interested in seeing how attitudes on LRT shift throughout the year.

Last edited by xd_1771; Jan 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:37 AM

Drove by there today. Absolutely nothing happening there. Talk about wasting time. Prett soon it'll be spring.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:59 AM

By Yellow Fever taken Jan 25th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
almost a year now and still hasn't completed yet.

20170125_152128 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

20170125_152136 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

20170125_152319 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:20 AM

Phase B was announced in 2014. Still no sign of construction.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 7:17 PM

They are processing a road re-alignment application right now to accommodate the LRT station on King George Blvd - which will change the shape of the lot for Phase B.

Once that is processed I believe it may move forward.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:
They are processing a road re-alignment application right now to accommodate the LRT station on King George Blvd - which will change the shape of the lot for Phase B.

Let's home.
And the road re-alignment is going to be approved. Just rubber stamp it and move on. The LRT needs more space for the station. Come on people!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:

Any indication on how long such an application for road realignment takes to get approved? I understand if PCI wants to make sure things are free and clear including this realignment before moving ahead with Phase 2.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Any indication on how long such an application for road realignment takes to get approved? I understand if PCI wants to make sure things are free and clear including this realignment before moving ahead with Phase 2.
I thought it was the city of Surrey that wants the road realignment? What is the approval process in cases like that?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Well it doesn't have to go to council for approval, but could still take another 6-8 months. Application was submitted last year and still showing as under initial review.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=16&seq=0664

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I thought it was the city of Surrey that wants the road realignment? What is the approval process in cases like that?
The applicant in this case I believe is actually the City, not PCI. PCI subdivided the site as part of their initial application, and now the city wants it changed. Not up to PCI to re-apply to change what was approved.

Still goes through the same formal process. All the required engineering, survey, and legal documents need to be prepared which takes time.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:20 PM

Looks like this could be moving now..

A new amended development application has been submitted for Phase B.

Details of the new application indicate phase B will include: 120,000 sq.ft. of retail space, 9,000 sq.ft. of restaurant space, a 15-storey office tower, and 736 residential units within 2 towers (Not much change from before).

The 15-storey office tower will actually form the base of one of the residential towers, making up a signature 39-storey tower on the corner of Fraser Hwy and KGB. The 2nd tower will be a 12-storey mid-rise, rental residential building.

Amended application was submitted to accommodate the change in subdivision and future LRT Station on King George Blvd.

There will be 2 additional phases to come after this.

https://urbansurrey.com/2017/04/11/t...b-application/

Old 2015 rendering

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:35 PM

Please start building this! Let's get rid of the above ground parking lot and wasteland and get something visually appealing instead!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:30 PM

Thnaks!
Don't really like the way the office block is made to look "residential" on the west facade.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Looks like this could be moving now..
Thank you for these updates Shift. The King George/Fraser Hwy/Whalley Blvd triangle will look great once completed. And hopefully we'll get some more restaurants in the neighbourhood!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:12 AM

I'm actually liking how the office block on the west side is made to look like a continuation of the residential. Makes for interesting massing. Also liking the angular shape of the tower.

9,000 sq.ft. of restaurant space sounds good.

Curious as to if the Office portion has actually changed to 15 storeys now (as opposed to 13 in the original application) or if it's just a typo.

Shown at 13 in the 2015 renderings.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:13 PM

I'm happy to hear there's office space going in and that the area is slowly getting more towers. this feels like the natural "downtown" of surrey and I really want to see it build up. The more offices that are in Surrey, the better. I wouldn't mind not having to commute to Vancouver for a decent job

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:29 PM

I would have liked to see that mid rise go taller and keep the wide floor plate (none of that point tower crap)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:03 PM

This is a nice improvement on the design and program versus my recollection of a more big box store focused corner.

The further development of office space and the emerging nearby medical precinct just underscore how important it is to extend SkyTrain to Langley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley