HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 4:59 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is entirely within the realm of possibility that the British royal family could at some point produce, as the heir to the throne, a person like... Donald Trump.
My guess is he would be deposed, and replaced with another heir.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Sorry but that makes no sense. Was the monarchy ever actually put to a public referendum in Canada? The public can't democratically decide on something if it's not asked. If something just exists because of an undemocratic origin and never put to a vote you can't just say,
99.9999% of decisions made in this democracy are not decided by 'the public.' They're decided by MP's, bureaucrats, judges, etc. Democracy =/= Direct Democracy.

I wonder if folks would still moan on if there was a Canadian Prince(ss) married into the family. Would they still complain about being ruled by someone who doesn't live in Canada? Some people wallow in smallmindedness and wilful ignorance of the structure of constitutional monarchy.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:05 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Why put something to the democratic test when it is essentially the origin of that extant democracy? I feel that the desire to disassociate because of embarrassment is disingenuous and imperceptive. The monarchy in a way was the ideological core of our country and its institutions, a benevolent overseer of democracy itself.
The monarchy wasn't a "benevolent overseer" it was a begrudging relenter. The origin of our democracy was a slow process of the British aristocracy demanding more and more power from the royals and using their economic leverage to demand it. At first power was only shared with rich land owning men, and over time progress slowly eroded away the previous non-democratic order to include the input of more and more people. It's only natural for people who value democracy to want that process to continue.

Also, there's nothing disingenuous about my embarrassment (that doesn't even make sense?) and there's nothing "imperceptive" about the importance of public image, whether it be self image or the view of outsiders. There are literally whole industries based around publicity and image management.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:10 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
99.9999% of decisions made in this democracy are not decided by 'the public.' They're decided by MP's, bureaucrats, judges, etc. Democracy =/= Direct Democracy.
Well obviously. We're only discussing this because the monarchs aren't appointed in such a way. And no, for the elected representatives to fail to change an undemocratic systemic vestiage system does not suddenly make it democratic.

Quote:
I wonder if folks would still moan on if there was a Canadian Prince(ss) married into the family. Would they still complain about being ruled by someone who doesn't live in Canada? Some people wallow in smallmindedness and wilful ignorance of the structure of constitutional monarchy.
No one is complaining about being "ruled' by anyone. The monarchs are not in a position of any real power or governance and I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise. You're inventing things.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
The monarchy wasn't a "benevolent overseer" it was a begrudging relenter. The origin of our democracy was a slow process of the British aristocracy demanding more and more power from the royals and using their economic leverage to demand it. At first power was only shared with rich land owning men, and over time progress slowly eroded away the previous non-democratic order to include the input of more and more people. It's only natural for people who value democracy to want that process to continue.

Also, there's nothing disingenuous about my embarrassment (that doesn't even make sense?) and there's nothing "imperceptive" about the importance of public image, whether it be self image or the view of outsiders. There are literally whole industries based around publicity and image management.
Are you saying that Elizabeth was begrudging? History unfolds as it will. Do you expect transfers of power to go peacefully like a Disney romance novel? The British monarchy oversaw the groundwork of our country, and it is not difficult to imagine a very different world, one much less democratic, more tribal and balkanized, overrun and dominated by autocratic empires like Russia and China, or the Mongols. We don't have that here, we light the way, thanks to history.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:25 AM

Quote:

No one is complaining about being "ruled' by anyone. The monarchs are not in a position of any real power or governance and I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise. You're inventing things.
You're nitpicking and you know it. We all know what the Monarch's authority entails.

You're advocating for an elected head of state, ie a president, but one who is somehow above politics. That is a logical fallacy in reality and in your superdemocratic fantasyland.

And if the alternative is a hereditary Canadian-born family, good luck choosing one. Appointed Governors-General? We've seen how well that works out...

The sense of embarrassment is simply the failure to grasp the fact that Canada was born of Britain, and we've always been a part of something larger than our own state.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
Not everything has to be put to a referendum to be democratic - in fact the vast majority of democratic decisions are never put to referendum. We delegate that to the politicians who we elect every few years. I don't think something as fundamental as the Constitution, or being a constitutional monarchy, ought to be put to decision very frequently, as a matter of stability. Agree that there has not been a referendum on the monarchy specifically, but I wouldn't oppose one either. Many of our Commonwealth siblings have done the same, of course. Having the power to change it, which we always have, makes it democratic. It would only be un-democratic if we truly had no means to change the system, which of course is not true.
The idea that something is only undemocratic if there's no possible way to change it is absolutely not true. The only criteria for something to be non-democratic is if it originated (or at least is perpetuated) in a non-democratic way. Having the power to change it simply means that we could make a democratic decision regarding the issue at some point. You're confusing the potential with the actual.

Quote:
Agree that most countries do have a native-born head of state (some require it by law, such as the US), and many do fine. Many also don't do fine, and moreso than western constitutional monarchies like ours, UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc. Disagree that I'm overstating the importance - unless you are saying you are fine with the prospect of a divisive political head of state, as we see in the US. You said you don't want to comment on the likelihood of an elected head of state being politicised, and that's fine, but again logically it's clearly more likely when the position is actually open to machination, vs when it is preordained by birth.
Quick question: Canada has had numerous governors general throughout our history. They've been appointed rather than hereditary, right? So how often do we have trouble with them being too political?

Quote:
Disagree - our set up with an appointed GG actually is more effective at representation. What is the likelihood that an Indigenous, non-French speaking Canadian would have been elected by popular vote to the role? To PM? Knowing the underrepresentation in elected office, having the GG open for appointment actually makes it more to thoughtful selection to represent groups that are otherwise underrepresented.
Why would they have to be directly elected? Why couldn't they simply be appointed in the same way as the current governor general? And if they were, why couldn't there be similar representation?

Keep in mind that I haven't stated a preference for a specific alternative. My main comments so far are on the status quo as the option I don't want.

Quote:
I get how that can be the optics (again personally I don't see that, given what we actually do as a country) but don't see the actual harm. Again, agree they are "over there" - that is a feature, not a bug, in protecting against interference.

To be clear I don't necessarily "like it", but I do find it better than the alternative, and not at all embarrassing since it actually doesn't prevent us from doing anything, but saves us from the harms of politicisation (that I get you don't see as much of an issue).

Bottom line: I see your point but I find your concern is more about optics and feelings than practicality; whereas I do find the potential harm of politicisation very real, and backed up by the experience in the US and the growing polarisation here and there.
How exactly does the US president being the head of state tie into the polarization? The biggest factors would be that the US has far fewer restrictions on money in politics and far more extremely wealthy individuals willing to spend to gain influence allowing big money to steer the discourse. The wealthy who want tax cuts and deregulation know they need to get wider spread support from the public so the GOP manufacturers an endless supply of cultural issues - fear of immigration, race, LGBT, etc. to get lower income people to vote against their interest. The biggest source of the polarization is media outlets like Fox which manufacturers opposition to anything wealthy owners don't like using the emotional tactics that resonate with people. Nothing to do with the structure of their head of state.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:31 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
You're nitpicking and you know it. We all know what the Monarch's authority entails.

You're advocating for an elected head of state, ie a president, but one who is somehow above politics. That is a logical fallacy in reality and in your superdemocratic fantasyland.
I never advocated for any such thing. You're making that up.

Quote:
And if the alternative is a hereditary Canadian-born family, good luck choosing one. Appointed Governors-General? We've seen how well that works out...

The sense of embarrassment is simply the failure to grasp the fact that Canada was born of Britain, and we've always been a part of something larger than our own state.
Actually, the sense of embarrassment is that I've successfully grasped that after being born of Britain, we give the appearance of never fully growing up and leaving home.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:36 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Are you saying that Elizabeth was begrudging? History unfolds as it will. Do you expect transfers of power to go peacefully like a Disney romance novel? The British monarchy oversaw the groundwork of our country, and it is not difficult to imagine a very different world, one much less democratic, more tribal and balkanized, overrun and dominated by autocratic empires like Russia and China, or the Mongols. We don't have that here, we light the way, thanks to history.
Are you saying that Elizabeth is responsible for originating democracy? That's the claim that I was responding to, so unless you're crediting Liz, she's not relevant to that aspect of the discussion.

I find it rather odd that you would dare accuse anyone of expecting disney romance when you're the one painting this ridiculous romantic image of the world where the "benevolent monarchy" (sic) invented democracy. You make that bizarre claim yet accuse me of expecting everything to be sweet and peaceful simply because I pointed out that it wasn't.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 5:52 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Are you saying that Elizabeth is responsible for originating democracy? That's the claim that I was responding to, so unless you're crediting Liz, she's not relevant to that aspect of the discussion.

I find it rather odd that you would dare accuse anyone of expecting disney romance when you're the one painting this ridiculous romantic image of the world where the "benevolent monarchy" (sic) invented democracy. You make that bizarre claim yet accuse me of expecting everything to be sweet and peaceful simply because I pointed out that it wasn't.
We are informed by, and concerned with the present day monarchy, not King John I, or Henry VIII (although even he was instrumental in de-monopolizing the religious sphere of influence, to which we owe much). I am focusing on the benefits of symbolism associated with our colonial, progressive, and democratic origins, and you want to deny it as a wokeless anachronism and a parochial embarrassment. Full disclosure; I do understand sincere desires to be free of the old world symbolism, but I think that those who wish to do so are acting out of naïve socio-idealism. I even have these convos in real life too. They are interesting.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 6:16 AM

Quote:
The problem is that I see having a head of state based in a foreign country as having a negative impact. The governor general is extremely low profile and most certainly does not fill the role of representing the country and its identity, at least not effectively. Having a foreign head of state reminds everyone that the country is a former colony and gives the appearance of still being one creating the optics of subjugation. We already have enough of that with the US cultural influence so we certainly don't need more with the UK's institutional influence. Monarchists like to argue that the Queen is Canadian based on some legal technicalities, but in reality the royals weren't born or raised here, don't live here, and haven't spent a significant portion of their lives here. At least one of those is necessary for me to even consider calling someone Canadian.
The PM fills the role of representing the country in foreign dealings. This the same with most of the commonwealth countries. There are many non-commonwealth countries that have similar arrangement. Norway and Japan are good examples.

The Governor General plays a symbolic role in welcoming world leaders and receiving diplomatic papers etc.

Quote:
I think what it comes down to is that with a ceremonial, symbolic position, it just depends on whether someone likes the optics of it or not. You like it, but I hate it and find it very embarrassing. I doubt any of the practical stuff is going to change the optics for either of us and in fact. In fact, while I don't find any of the downsides presented so far to be plausible, I would be willing to tolerate some downsides if it meant eliminating something with such poor optics.
I am not saying sharing the Royal family with the UK is a good idea, far from it. I just don't think it is the most pressing issue we have.

Quote:
How exactly does the US president being the head of state tie into the polarization? The biggest factors would be that the US has far fewer restrictions on money in politics and far more extremely wealthy individuals willing to spend to gain influence allowing big money to steer the discourse.
There is a fundamental difference between Canada and the US. We have a very different division of power between the Governor General and the PM vrs the US President and Speaker of the House.

Our Governor General has no role in providing direction to the executive branch or setting priorities in the executive branch.

The US has a much more rigid separation between the legislative branch and executive branch of government.

The US President is a political role and can have a very different agenda that the speaker. When that happens you have gridlock. Canada does not suffer from that problem.

The military is an interesting difference. The Commander-in-Chief in Canada is the monarch through the Governor General. When it comes to elections the Government General has a clear role in calling the election and inviting the winner to form government.

The US has a strange process for electric the president (and Commander-in-Chief) and the Vice President performs that role even when the lose. January 6 showed us how that is a bad idea.

The leadership in the US military needed to go as far as writing a letter to the entire military clarifying that when it came to elections their allegiance was to the US constitution and democratic process not to the Commander-in-Chief.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...itol-riot.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 6:23 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

The problem is that I see having a head of state based in a foreign country as having a negative impact. The governor general is extremely low profile and most certainly does not fill the role of representing the country and its identity, at least not effectively. Having a foreign head of state reminds everyone that the country is a former colony and gives the appearance of still being one creating the optics of subjugation. We already have enough of that with the US cultural influence so we certainly don't need more with the UK's institutional influence. Monarchists like to argue that the Queen is Canadian based on some legal technicalities, but in reality the royals weren't born or raised here, don't live here, and haven't spent a significant portion of their lives here. At least one of those is necessary for me to even consider calling someone Canadian.

I think what it comes down to is that with a ceremonial, symbolic position, it just depends on whether someone likes the optics of it or not. You like it, but I hate it and find it very embarrassing. I doubt any of the practical stuff is going to change the optics for either of us and in fact. In fact, while I don't find any of the downsides presented so far to be plausible, I would be willing to tolerate some downsides if it meant eliminating something with such poor optics.
Why don't you see the monarchy as a symbol that ties together many countries of the world who share a common bond of political enlightenment and democracy? I think that's how most of us so called "monarchists" see it. If you are of NS Scottish descent that could play a rebellious role, but I actually personally know Scottish born people who are staunch monarchists.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 7:10 AM

Quote:
The idea that something is only undemocratic if there's no possible way to change it is absolutely not true. The only criteria for something to be non-democratic is if it originated (or at least is perpetuated) in a non-democratic way. Having the power to change it simply means that we could make a democratic decision regarding the issue at some point. You're confusing the potential with the actual.
It actually is true, that having potential to change something makes it democratic. Much of our laws are simply perpetuated over time rather than re-voted or reaffirmed at any opportunity. Think of all our bylaws, the Criminal Code, etc. Just because they are not actively re-voted on does not make their continuation undemocratic. That said, one could argue that the recent opportunities where the Constitution was actively in revision (repatriation, Meech Lake) and the system was "on the table" are democratic reaffirmations of the status quo.

Quote:
Quick question: Canada has had numerous governors general throughout our history. They've been appointed rather than hereditary, right? So how often do we have trouble with them being too political?
They are appointed, and I don't think we have had a problem with political interference - never said we have. Yet. (Though questionable behaviour and workplace management - sure.)

Quote:
Why would they have to be directly elected? Why couldn't they simply be appointed in the same way as the current governor general? And if they were, why couldn't there be similar representation?
They could, and it could be similarly representative. The main danger of politicisation is if the head of state became elected. I mentioned it before in another discussion, having the GG as "just the representative" means their role is limited: they're not elected like the PM so they have no public mandate; they're not the head of state themselves so they have no place stepping out of their ceremonial role. If a local head of state were elected, or appointed by the provinces, etc, s/he could claim their own mandate to act, and become political. That is not their role - we already have a head of government for that.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I haven't stated a preference for a specific alternative. My main comments so far are on the status quo as the option I don't want.
Sure - but you also haven't made a case beyond optics why a change is of any benefit to anyone. I see your point that the House of Windsor wasn't born in Canada and is "over there", and that bothers you (and many others, I get that). I could envision some non-partisan process, like an appointed head of state selected amongst Order of Canada recipients by Order of Canada recipients, that could deliver a made-in-Canada candidate. But that still makes them more vulnerable than someone of the House of Windsor to interfering, simply because they are "over here", and have their own personal histories, past politics, business connections, etc.

Another thought mentioned earlier: the nomination committee that PM Harper set out (and PM Trudeau removed) seemed to work to get a good GG. Could that also work for a made-in-Canada head of state? It could. But again, it brings in the possibility that that individual will have/develop, or will be perceived to have/develop, some connection or bias for particular groups/interests in Canada. I mentioned earlier the example of Germany, which seems like a place where you could reasonably expect a working stable Western democracy to eliminate the potential of partisanship by the apolitical President - but it happens there too.

Quote:
How exactly does the US president being the head of state tie into the polarization? The biggest factors would be that the US has far fewer restrictions on money in politics and far more extremely wealthy individuals willing to spend to gain influence allowing big money to steer the discourse. The wealthy who want tax cuts and deregulation know they need to get wider spread support from the public so the GOP manufacturers an endless supply of cultural issues - fear of immigration, race, LGBT, etc. to get lower income people to vote against their interest. The biggest source of the polarization is media outlets like Fox which manufacturers opposition to anything wealthy owners don't like using the emotional tactics that resonate with people. Nothing to do with the structure of their head of state.
It ties in because it is obviously a vehicle to drive and sustain that polarisation. Had there been a separate, non-partisan, apolitical head of state, there would be another focus of national identity and sovereignty. Agree with all the factors you mention there, and insofar as they drive partisanship in the selection of the head of government, I would accept that as democracy at work (not in a good way, but a downside one accepts in the system, though hoping for better). But firewalling that politicisation from the head of state is a key part of establishing a national identity that is above the fray and unifying for everyone regardless of political stripe.

Again something I mentioned in earlier conversation, there's this dynamic in the US where people really identify personally with "their" President, almost a devotion or even outright obedience. For better or worse - people who felt really uplifted with President Obama as a person of colour in the White House; others who joined an insurrection on the Capitol to "save" their President from a "stolen election". Ironically the office of the President seems more monarchical than our actual Monarch. The fact that people actually vote for and identify with the President I think is the basic issue. (President Trump did get 74 million people to support him after all.)

This article was quoted in discussion earlier, I think it explains the point better than I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/an-icon-not-an-idol-71f
You can make all sorts of solid arguments against a constitutional monarchy — but the point of monarchy is precisely that it is not the fruit of an argument. It is emphatically not an Enlightenment institution. It’s a primordial institution smuggled into a democratic system. It has nothing to do with merit and logic and everything to do with authority and mystery — two deeply human needs our modern world has trouble satisfying without danger.

The Crown satisfies those needs, which keeps other more malign alternatives at bay. No one has expressed this better than C.S. Lewis: "Where men are forbidden to honor a king, they honor millionaires, athletes, or film stars instead; even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison."

The importance of this in a deeply polarized and ideological world, where fellow citizens have come to despise their opponents as enemies, is hard to measure. But it matters that divisive figures such as Boris Johnson or Margaret Thatcher were never required or expected to represent the entire nation. It matters that in times of profound acrimony, something unites.
So - agree with you that monarchies didn't start democratic; but our constitutional monarchy as it is now, is democratic, and has been reaffirmed at least twice in recent years (at least within my lifetime); and it is logically less vulnerable (though no guarantees, sure) to becoming politicised than any made-in-Canada option.

Last edited by caveat.doctor; Sep 10, 2022 at 7:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 10:42 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Also, as usual many people act as if the US is the only alternative model in the world.

For example: although France has many other serious problems of its own, its President-PM republican system seems to work reasonably well.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:

This is why modern republican movements usually fail. There is no consensus on what to replace it with. Some want an appointed President, others want direct election, others want a convoluted electoral college. Most republics were created by revolutionary governments or Soviet tanks, it is hard to generate that sort of urgency in a stable democracy.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also, as usual many people act as if the US is the only alternative model in the world.

For example: although France has many other serious problems of its own, its President-PM republican system seems to work reasonably well.
Russia more or less copied that system. The results were not good. That is also France’s fifth attempt at a republic.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 10:59 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I have to chuckle at the assertions that the democratic route to get rid of the monarchy is readily available- if only Canadians really, really wanted to.

The truth is that the amending process re the monarchy in the Constitution is almost democratically booby-trapped and so effectively padlocked.

It would probably be easier to legalize murder in Canada than get rid of the monarchy.

Last edited by Acajack; Sep 10, 2022 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 2:55 PM

Official announcement is a total clusterfuck. Guns started while the herald was still heralding. Pool camera possibly drunk.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 2:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Official announcement is a total clusterfuck. Guns started while the herald was still heralding. Pool camera possibly drunk.
Obviously a republican or anti-monarchist plot.........

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
The cannons seemed to start right after 'Long Live The King' in English. Either they forgot to wait for the French or protocol is that they begin after its been said in one of the official languages. Likely no one even thought about it.

Didn't notice any issues with the camera feed myself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada