HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
Yesterday I was on the FRA-YOW flight and the flight was overbooked, in FRA Air Canada were offering 600 Euros plus Hotel accommodations for those who were willing to give up their seat and travel today! My question is why AC are not using the A330-300 on this route with more seats available compare to the B767-300?
Because they only have 8 A333 and 27 B763s. The 8 Airbuses are needed on longer routes or on routes where passenger numbers are constantly well above the capacity of the B763. If the A333 were to ever be on the YOW-FRA leg it would surely be in the summer when traffic is a lot higher compared to the winter months. Perhaps you just had an unluckily busy day!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 10:29 PM
Awesome!

A stupid question probably but for curiosity, are there any direct Moscow-Ottawa flights?
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
A stupid question probably but for curiosity, are there any direct Moscow-Ottawa flights?
Nope! But you can access it in one stop via FRA (Frankfurt). The only over the Atlantic direct flights from Ottawa are to London Heathrow and Frankfurt. There is also a weekly Ottawa to London Gatwick that flies during the summer months. Air Transat flew direct to Paris a few years ago on a weekly seasonal basis but they no longer offer that flight. Best bet on a new destination in the future would be Paris via Air France to eliminate the bus service they offer to Montreal-Trudeau.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 7:28 PM

I hope to get Air France service to YOW in the future...it will bring more competition with AC on the LHR and FRA routes!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 11:38 AM

Air France coming to Ottawa???

.......speaking of Air France coming to Ottawa.
I do remember Paul Benoit in an Ottawa Citizen or OBJ article earlier this year stating that he is hoping to have Paris and also San Francisco(i believe) in the next couple of years. Hopefully, it will be Air France not Air Canada as the carrier, we need some competition on Ottawa-Europe market.
Can anyone else remember the article??
Actually, here is something i found from earlier this year from Ottawa Citizen

Chatting about the Ottawa airport

March 2, 2011. 7:31 pm • Section: Opinion
ShareThis 0 0 0

Posted by:
Kate Heartfield

This morning, the editorial board met with Paul Benoit, president and CEO of Ottawa’s airport authority. He’s a straight talker with an evident abundance of civic pride, and we talked about a bunch of interesting topics. Here are a few highlights from my notes:

- The airport improvement fee, currently at $20, is probably here to stay. Benoit says “an airport is almost a permanent construction zone.”

- While Benoit acknowledges there are times the Ottawa airport looks ridiculously big and empty, it’s the kind of facility that has to have 100 per cent capacity if it needs it. — and there are times the line-ups are long. Also, the design, with the extra-high ceilings, creates a sense of space beyond what the mere floor plan offers.

- He’s talking with at least a couple of airlines about adding a flight to a mainland European city — he wouldn’t quite confirm he meant Paris — and he’s also interested in Miami, San Francisco and, at some point, an Asian hub.

- The airport’s considering solar panels on its parkade which would allow its buildings to run off the grid; these panels would last about 20 years and pay for themselves in about seven. Also, a developer wants to lease some land there to install a solar farm.

- He’s concerned that north-south traffic interferes with the flow of people in and out of the airport, and says eventually something’s gotta give. Despite rumours to the contrary, the airport authority would welcome being part of a north-south rail link.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 5:46 PM

Air France to YOW???

Not to long ago, I asked the airport authority of the possibility of YOW-CDG route by Air France in the near future and that's what I got as a reply!!!

"Thank you very much for taking the time to send in your comments regarding Ottawa-Paris service. As you may have seen in the media in months past, this route is one that we would definitely like to see added for our community. However, as you probably know, the decision is always up to the airlines, not the airport.

I can commit that our team will continue to meet regularly with airlines to discuss this route. It is very helpful to know that there is community support from travellers such as yourself. However, ironically, when Ottawa travellers choose to use flights that depart from Montreal, it helps reinforce the existing scheduling decisions made by airlines to consolidate Paris flights in Montreal. Alternatively, when passengers choose flights that depart Ottawa (for example, connecting in London or Frankfurt or even Montreal or Toronto), that has a more direct positive impact on the future potential of a direct flight to Paris.

When airlines see more and more Paris-bound passengers departing directly from Ottawa, they will be more readily convinced that the market is strong enough to support non-stop service. If travellers show that they are satisfied with driving to Montreal to catch flights to Paris, it is more difficult to convince the airlines to alter their schedule because they are capturing that traffic already without having to add a new flight.

Having said all that, it remains a high priority for us. We know that there is a substantial demand for air travel between Ottawa and Paris (and beyond), and we definitely will continue to work hard toward attracting a carrier to serve this key business and leisure route.

Thanks again for your comment, and if you have any further questions, or if anything here requires further explanation, please feel welcome to contact me any time."

Michael Crockatt
Vice President Business Development & Marketing

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:43 AM

Delta Connections are starting daily flights from YOW to LGA on July 11. Three flights a day using Embraer 140/145 equipment.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Delta Connections are starting daily flights from YOW to LGA on July 11. Three flights a day using Embraer 140/145 equipment.
Delta, where the difference is your miles are useless and your bag is always in Detroit.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:04 PM

Quote:
YOW - LGA 3x Daily

6:05am - 7:30am
12:15pm - 1:39pm
4:45pm - 6:05pm

LGA - YOW 3x Daily
9:45am - 11:28am
2:35pm - 4:14pm
7:10pm - 8:50pm

Right now Delta is advertising fares as low as $99 one way... so hopefully this will ruin Air Canada's monopoly on the route so they can stop charging $300+ one way fares!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:58 PM

Im sure Air Canada will bring their prices down, to make it more competitive...as they were overcharging customers!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:51 PM

New Service to Washington

Today US Airways announced that they will add direct daily service between Ottawa and Washington (Reagan National Airport). Service will be on their 50 seat CRJ aircraft.
The Service begins on March 25th.

YOW - DCA 3X Daily

6:15am - 7:59am
12:20pm - 2:04pm
5:25pm - 7:09pm

DCA - YOW 3X Daily

10:00am - 11:44am
3:05pm - 4:47pm
9:00pm - 10:40pm

Air Canada Express (Jazz) already serves the route 2X Daily as well as United flying to Washington-Dulles 3X Daily. All together there will be up to 8 flights a day from Ottawa to the Washington, DC area.

US Airways already serves Philadelphia (3x) and Charlotte (1X) from Ottawa, thus bringing them to 7 daily flights out of Ottawa and giving them the second most flights operated by an international airline at YOW.

Last edited by MountainView; Jan 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM. Reason: added when service began

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 6:42 PM

i'm still impatiently waiting for service to MSP to come back....i fly there regularly for work and it's a pain always connecting at DTW or ORD. I'd also like to see direct flights to LAX...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
i'm still impatiently waiting for service to MSP to come back....i fly there regularly for work and it's a pain always connecting at DTW or ORD. I'd also like to see direct flights to LAX...
At last May's open house Paul Benoit stated that the top three destinations out of YOW that he is trying to get are San Francisco, Miami, and Paris. So SFO is no LAX but I believe there might be more O&D between YOW-SFO than YOW-LAX, also both airports offer great connections to Asia, as oppose to Toronto and Vancouver. As for MSP, I'm sure Delta would rather route westbound passengers through DTW, however, it would make sense for them to add a daily MSP for westbounders and use DTW for all other connections. And I agree.. ORD is a pain to connect through

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 7:03 PM

Final numbers for 2011

Domestic:3 429 310
Transborder:750 486
International: 444 830
----------
Total: 4 624 626

Increased of 3.4% compare to 2010

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 10:24 PM

Antonov An-124 at the Ottawa Airport this morning.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:31 AM

Dear God that looks cold. I hope the Antonov had all four block heaters working!

What was it offloading, BTW?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 5:18 PM

It was picking up the 4 spies and their stuff

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Antonov An-124 at the Ottawa Airport this morning.

Very cool, don't see those around here too often do we? What was it actually there for?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:06 PM

good steady progress:

OTTAWA Passenger numbers

2011: 4,624,626

2010: 4,473,894

2009: 4,232,831

2008: 4,339,225

2007: 4,088,528

Airport breaks passenger record ... again

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:33 PM

Ottawa Business Journal (PARIS)??

Last paragraph(from above link at OBJ) makes me think we may be closer to getting Paris, Miami, and San Francisco

"He adds the Ottawa airport is continuing to talk to carriers about introducing a direct flight to Paris, as well as connecting with more U.S. hubs. However, these negotiations are typically kept private until airlines make an official announcement."

Last edited by YowItaliano; Feb 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation