HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
As many of your are rapidly learning, from many sources, Areva, Inc. made it official this a.m. They will be building their $2 Billion dollar plant west of Idaho Falls, between INL and the city limits.

Did I just hear Skyline's property value jump?

Apparently, a press conference is scheduled in Boise in 55 minutes so all of Idaho can hear the news. Indeed mayors from the Panhandle, to western ID to eastern ID and most others, except the podiatrist from Twin Falls, have supported additional growth connected with INL. This is a HUGE win for IDAHO and Idaho residents!

While only 200-250 permanent workers, I believe the concept of the Energy Corrider is catching on for eastern ID. Perhaps we should thank MT's Gov. for realizing the potetial INL has, as he recently did prior to Gov. Otter signing the necessary papers to land this company in Idaho.

So many links and there will be dozens more by tonight. Here is one:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...ment-Plant.php.

Not to rain on your parade IF guy, but I think a lot more construction is going to be happening that you just reviewed.

EXCELLENT NEWS!
NICE!!! VERY NICE!!!

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 1:26 PM
Honored Member

Question More Areva Details, What About the Increased Academic Needs?

IFGuy,

You always thought Idaho Falls would get this project, didn't you?

Local news reports had far more detail about Areva's planned facility west of Idaho Falls. Now, the company says it will employ about 300 people in the technical work once the facility is built. That is an increase of 50-100 jobs, depending on which previous sources/sources you believe.
From construction workers to those doing the technical jobs, an anticipated additional almost 1,500 jobs to Bonneville County over 10 years. The average technical worker at Areva, when constructed, will make $65 K. Given that some involved with the Center for Advanced Energy Studies believe the need is already outgrown the building not yet finished, and given that GNEP and other improvements projects may seem to be a better fit at INL now, who knows what other companies will be making announcements about moving into the Idaho Falls area. Then there is the expanded subject of INL remaining the lead lab for the next generation of reactor to be built. The possibilities seem extensive to me.

Additionally, as Lea County, NM has shown, local and regional businesses have expanded to become the suppliers for certain needs a plant like Areva creates. Why bring those goods in from out of state, if Idaho businesses can be built or expand to meet the demand?

Since Areva scouted the U.S. in depth enough to find 5 potential sites to locate this facility, and selected Idaho Falls, what other companies will now look at Idaho Falls as the location for similar work or closely related "spin offs", let alone support services and regular suppliers of Areva's daily needs to operate? Literally, the project is at "the drawing board," both in design and MUST pass the NRC's criteria to be built. However, with Areva having another U.S. plant, I'm confident they the French energy company knows what is required. Construction, as I understand it, won't start for about 2-3 years.

The construction workers may be a positive for eastern ID to attract more businesses such as Areva. The links to articles in previous posts addressed why the commitments of local construction workers, in some potential locations, essentially made it impossible for Areva to plan on that skilled construction force to have their facility built by 2014. Smart planning can avoid a similar situation in Idaho Falls and other potential companies wanting to relocate or expand to Idaho Falls.

This will be the third facility in the U.S. to work with U.S.-enriched uranium for power purposes. This will decrease or eliminate the need to import uranium from Russia and other European countries to the U.S., for power in the U.S. How can Areva locating in Idaho do anything but benefit the region and state?

Areva is already designing how to ADD water to the Snake River Aquifer. Additionally, electricity required by the plant would be supplied by the grid of on line power at the plant.

Building of the Louisiana Power uranium enrichment plant in NM also increases the demand on academics. Will Idaho be any different? I doubt so. So which institution will step up to the plate and provide this part of "growth?"

Will ISU, BSU or the U of I finally start to build additional classrooms and labs at University Place, or secure other available buildings/land in Idaho Falls to train students, so the I.F. campus can finally offer many more general and specialized classes leading to several different degrees than are currently available? Or, will EITC finally become a 2 year Jr. College or more?

EITC and possibilities -look no further away than at Utah Valley State College in Orem, UT, which recently was approved to change their name to Utah Valley State University. How did that institution, which was a small Jr. College now become a university with over 24K students? Here's the link: www.uvsc.edu. I see no reason EITC might follow a similar pattern, unless an Idaho university steps up to the plate first and commits to building a much stronger, broader branch of that university in Idaho Falls.

Will continued collaboration with the local universities in Idaho as well as MSU, WSU and USU, let alone the 4-5 research teams selected throughout the country who bring their work to INL annually create the demand for a much larger 4 year university in Idaho Falls, granting degrees in many majors? I think the answer is yes. Academics are strengthened by an investment like this. Maybe a better question is how can the companies who follow Areva and have increased demand for other services locally avoid expanding local university education in Idaho Falls?

ISU, U of I and BSU all have faculty teaching in Idaho Falls. Any of these universities could increase their commitment to different majors and classes being totally taught in Idaho Falls. Why shouldn't potential educators for grades K-12 be educated in Idaho Falls, given the demand throughout the state? Could ISU be hesitant on growing a larger Idaho Falls campus, as a larger enrollment may eventually occur in Idaho Falls than Pocatello?

Dozens of branches of existing university systems, in other states (CA, TX, AL, MO, IL etc.), have shown how building larger campuses where there is the need and potentially having what once was a satellite campus become larger than the original campus benefits residents and the state in general. Why can't Idaho learn from these other states?

I do find it comical that now Gov. Otter is speaking as if CAES was HIS original idea and he demanded that the center be built. Looking back just months ago, he refused to fund CAES this next year , until heavy lobbying and work of certain legislators convinced him otherwise. Oh well, at least he backs CAES now.

While I can't be sure about this, if patterns in ID tend to follow patterns from CA, UT, NV, AZ and other states, if NO Idaho university steps up to the plate to expand university education in Idaho Falls, I won't be surprised for an outside private university to move in and meet the needs of Idaho Falls area students.

It seems to me the decision to have more competition for students, should a private university enter the educational picture, would only hurt Idaho universities. Consequently, I believe major additions of classes and majors need to be added ASAP to the Idaho Falls campus of whichever Idaho University wants to have a branch with many students. More classes are needed immediately in Idaho Falls.

What do YOU think?

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:54 PM
Always running Late

isu should move to Idaho falls... it would improve their numbers thats for sure

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
isu should move to Idaho falls... it would improve their numbers thats for sure
I would expect that all three Idaho universities will expand their presence in Idaho Falls at this point. It would be nice if any Idaho University would dominate the expansion but I would be the happiest with ISU. I think ISU could really boost their worthiness by taking on the Idaho Falls campus by offering a full range of energy training and degrees such as nuclear, chemical, metallurgical, ect.

From what N2IF says it does sound like CAES will have to expand already, possibly this project was a little bit underestimated in the first place.

I would love to see EITC turn into a JUCO school, Idaho Falls is in definate need for more educational opportunities, that is probably the biggest need in this town currently. To have a four year+ university and a junior college in Idaho Falls would attract many more of these high tech type companies to the area that's for sure.

I wonder if BYU-I is going to add to their cirriculum and step up to train nuclear engineers, if they don't already. It would seem to me that they would also have a lot to gain from this.

The one thing I am sure of, that spokeslady from Snake River Alliance really gets me steamed whenever I hear her talk.

See Boise, we have one of these annoyances over on this side of the state too.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:17 PM
Always running Late

Its kind of a catch 22, I think its sad that Idaho universities aren't at the forefront of these industries, and using it to expand their own opportunities. Having a campus in a flagship city and waiting for the students to come to you is not going to cut it. Even here in boise, two private universities are planning to enter the market to fullfill the demand. I would imagine the same would happen in idaho falls if someone doesn't get a clue. Idaho falls is certainly the regional hub for eastern idaho, pocatello is no more, and I just think its a big waste of opportunity... its happening in many places around the state.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:44 PM

Well, this is sad news for Idaho farmers... I haven't confirmed it yet but I did see a blurp on the Post Register website yesterday that said Iogen snubbed Idaho for Canada for their ethanol site. About the only thing I am sad about is that now the farmers around here aren't going to be able to sell their "waste" product and cheaply ship it to the plant. Maybe they will still be able to ship it north or another company will come in and do what Iogen had planned on.

Either way, Areva is probably the biggest news for East Idaho since the INEL came online decades ago.

Things should get very interesting around here in the weeks, months, years to come considering the growth Idaho Falls is experiencing.

If the same rings true here that it has in New Mexico, CDA had better look out cause IF might take the #2 spot from them as far as metro numbers are concerned. Who knows, here's to all of Idaho's fine metros!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:37 PM
Honored Member

Question Not Sad About Iogen, Now The Games Can Stop. GNEP????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
Well, this is sad news for Idaho farmers... I haven't confirmed it yet but I did see a blurp on the Post Register website yesterday that said Iogen snubbed Idaho for Canada for their ethanol site. About the only thing I am sad about is that now the farmers around here aren't going to be able to sell their "waste" product and cheaply ship it to the plant. Maybe they will still be able to ship it north or another company will come in and do what Iogen had planned on.

Either way, Areva is probably the biggest news for East Idaho since the INEL came online decades ago.

Things should get very interesting around here in the weeks, months, years to come considering the growth Idaho Falls is experiencing.

If the same rings true here that it has in New Mexico, CDA had better look out cause IF might take the #2 spot from them as far as metro numbers are concerned. Who knows, here's to all of Idaho's fine metros!
I use to hope for IOGEN like you, IG guy, but am glad now they aren't coming. An insider tipped me off quite a while ago about IOGEN trying to force commitments from the U.S. while going full steam ahead in Canada.

What I just finally got solidified in my brain, is Areva is PART of the GNEP. Having Areva locate in Idaho Falls strengths any of the 3 parts of GNEP locating in Idaho. Some think this is a HUGE DEAL FOR AREVA TO ANNOUNCE NOW THAT THEY ARE LOCATING IN IDAHO FALLS, GIVEN THE INTERCONNECTION OF GNEP WORK.

I say leave the farmland alone - we still need food crops (besides, 4B had "landed" this project after Grow I.F. worked with them for years) and new developments. Iogen can stay in Canada, we have better use of our talent pool and resources for Idaho's fixed resources.

Now how many jobs did GNEP originally promote?

And, to be fair, I have to say thanks to Sen. Craig and his staff. Craig's seniority on his committees in the Senate helped land Areva in Idaho. Regardless of his personal life, his decision to stay on as a senator may have created entirely new industries and the need for companies to supply those goods, in Idaho.

Yes, the Snake River Alliance and then isn't there another group in Jackson, WY, or did they merger? The anti-nuclear watchdogs. I sure wish they could read and understand science.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:47 PM
Honored Member

Talking Areva, Perhaps Only Part of More; Private University Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
Its kind of a catch 22, I think its sad that Idaho universities aren't at the forefront of these industries, and using it to expand their own opportunities. Having a campus in a flagship city and waiting for the students to come to you is not going to cut it. Even here in boise, two private universities are planning to enter the market to fullfill the demand. I would imagine the same would happen in idaho falls if someone doesn't get a clue. Idaho falls is certainly the regional hub for eastern idaho, pocatello is no more, and I just think its a big waste of opportunity... its happening in many places around the state.
Boiseguy,

You summed up my thoughts well. Yes, I believe ISU or maybe even a newly named university should be in Idaho. If the states doesn't want the royalties involved with the research etc., I guarantee a private university will be moving into town.

BTW - thanks for posting here. It seems often when Idaho Falls gets good news not too many from elsewhere post. While we are not talking a 15 story tower in the desert, at this point, this economic development will drive business needs and growth in the Idaho Falls area. I agree with you, Idaho Falls is the regional hub, what the airlines concluded long ago when pulling all but one airline from Pocatello.

However, I do think the economic, academic etc. impact could extend to elsewhere in the state. I guess part of it is up to those areas in the state deciding if they want to be a part of the "Areva Generation."

I believe much like when Micron and similar businesses started in the Treasure Valley, that this annoucement changes ID history and what cities thrive vs. fail will partially be around Areva's influence on Idaho's economy.

The Tri-Cities area in WA worked hard to land Areva, as did NM. Idaho is lucky to have been selected. But, as I posted earlier, how does this tie into GNEP and perhaps even bigger growth, more industry/technology etc. in eastern ID?

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 3:16 AM
Honored Member

Post Hmmmmm SRL-

Have you been checked out Snake River Landing lately? Many updates and already a news archieves about SRL for over a year.

Looking through a few of the articles, how fascinating to find under "News," the article Lora Volkert wrote for the Idaho Business Review in July 2007. It was about round two for a Convention Center for Idaho Falls. This seemed vaguely familiary to me, so for those who are interested, check page 25 of this thread to see what was posted at the time.

I'm glad to see Ball Ventures post this business article on the SRL website. I think outside articles/press need to be easily available for residents to read what legal action, newspaper ads, theats etc. have transpired in other Ameritel markets.

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 3:27 AM
Honored Member

Question Discovery Center?

Who knows about Snake River Landing's Discovery Center that is suppose to be open in June? It's news to me.

What all will be in the center?

Also, it will be a great addition to have the 4,000 sq. ft. Pier in SRL, when it opens.

I'm impressed how BV is bringing this project together, while continuing work on other projects. Any anticipated opening date on the Candlewood Suites? It seems to be moving along at a fast enough clip staff is being hired.

Overall, I don't know how many companies/employees Ball Ventures currently has in the Idaho Falls area. Anyone want to guess how many employees work for Ball Ventures in various businesses?

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 9:39 PM

DISCOVERY CENTER?!

That's bad ass.

I'm happy.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 12:55 AM
Honored Member

Cool River Landing Discovery Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFtowner View Post
DISCOVERY CENTER?!

That's bad ass.

I'm happy.

'Towner,

Do you know anything about it? Is it the traditional type of Discovery Center, such as the Discovery Center in Boise and other national centers, or is it just a coincidence the same name was used for a SRL building?

I think the complete name is River Landing Discovery Center. It this what I think it is, a major plus for Idaho Falls! Also, a major draw for SRL, IMHO, if indeed it is a center like the one in Boise and elsewhere. How awesome to live in one of the housing units so close to a Discovery Center.

Good job Ball Ventures - meeting unmet needs.

I'm also interested if anyone else may know about this center. Thanks.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:20 AM
Honored Member

Question Red Robin Location; Is a Sports Bar Needed on Hotel Row - Lindsay Blvd?

For those of you have seen earlier information regarding where Red Robin will be built in Idaho Falls, it was my impression that RR was going to be built on or near Hitt Road, maybe replacing a restaurant in the Grand Teton Mall.

Recently, I received an international publication promoting certain aspects of Idaho Falls. The hotel featured was the Marriott Fairfield. In that publication, they listed "close restaurants to the hotel." Applebees, Chili's, Olive Garden and Ruby River were all listed. It lead me to believe that all restaurants listed were close by the Marriott.

In addition to the above restaurants (and possibly others I've forgotten), Red Robin was listed with an * stating RR would be built and open in 2008.

Is this consistant to what others know? Could Red Robin have taken either a pad at Taylor's Crossing or near the Hilton Garden Inn? Does anyone know?

Speaking of restaurants, I was surprised Aussie Eats is moving into the JB's building on Lindsay. Personally, I'm not that fond of it. Anyone know more about this? Is demand really that high for Aussie Eats? Also, what does this mean about JBs: closed, rebuilding and a more desirable location or other?

I look forward to whatever info you know. I'm a little puzzled at this point where Red Robin will actually be built, and totally confused how Aussie Eats can compete with Outback so close. Aussie Eats is truly Australian food, where Outback, with the Australian influence serves, offers mostly American Food. Additionally, the bar section at Outback is always packed when I've been there, probably as it serves as a mini-sports bar for hotel row.

Could it be that hotel row needs a sports bar within walking distance of the Lindsay Blvd. hotels?

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
For those of you have seen earlier information regarding where Red Robin will be built in Idaho Falls, it was my impression that RR was going to be built on or near Hitt Road, maybe replacing a restaurant in the Grand Teton Mall.

Recently, I received an international publication promoting certain aspects of Idaho Falls. The hotel featured was the Marriott Fairfield. In that publication, they listed "close restaurants to the hotel." Applebees, Chili's, Olive Garden and Ruby River were all listed. It lead me to believe that all restaurants listed were close by the Marriott.

In addition to the above restaurants (and possibly others I've forgotten), Red Robin was listed with an * stating RR would be built and open in 2008.

Is this consistant to what others know? Could Red Robin have taken either a pad at Taylor's Crossing or near the Hilton Garden Inn? Does anyone know?

Speaking of restaurants, I was surprised Aussie Eats is moving into the JB's building on Lindsay. Personally, I'm not that fond of it. Anyone know more about this? Is demand really that high for Aussie Eats? Also, what does this mean about JBs: closed, rebuilding and a more desirable location or other?

I look forward to whatever info you know. I'm a little puzzled at this point where Red Robin will actually be built, and totally confused how Aussie Eats can compete with Outback so close. Aussie Eats is truly Australian food, where Outback, with the Australian influence serves, offers mostly American Food. Additionally, the bar section at Outback is always packed when I've been there, probably as it serves as a mini-sports bar for hotel row.

Could it be that hotel row needs a sports bar within walking distance of the Lindsay Blvd. hotels?
Well, I don't know anything about any new restaraunts opening in IF lately but I do know a few things. The Marriott Residence Inn has begun construction of walls, yes, actual walls. The building should go up quickly from here on out.

According to the Ch 8 news website, a story they did states that there are some projects in the making for downtown but everyone that knew something was tight lipped. Usually when you can't get someone to say something it is a pretty big deal so we shall have to wait and see I guess.

Also from Ch 8 news I read that the housing market in SE Idaho is an anomoly when compared to the rest of the nation. Seems that although the highest priced homes are heavy on inventory, the mid range homes are selling very quickly. As quickly as less than 100 days. Throw in Areva and we have ourselves a pretty good year so far. Although there has been a lack of announcements I do believe that with the way SE Idaho's economy is weathering the economic storm, we are in great shape.

Well, here's to more growth and the betterment of IF.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 3:07 AM

THE CRANE FOR MARRIOTT RESIDENCE INN is UP!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFtowner View Post
THE CRANE FOR MARRIOTT RESIDENCE INN is UP!

Yep, I drove by and saw it and peed myself, just a little.

Been hearing some things lately about new developments downtown and Snake River Landing. The biggest thing to me is that Nick's Trading Post is going to be torn down. Not sure what may go there but at least that eye sore will soon be gone! For those of you who have driven by lately, the facade is being torn out, but the brick work underneath is gorgeous, and will be salvaged.

I hope somebody finds time to take pictures of the new developments it's been quite awhile.

I know if it were me I would take massive amounts of pics of SRL, as well as the Marriott, and CAES which is only 2-3 months out from completion.

Another thing, what is up with all these proposed wind farms? Not only the existing farm in the foothills but Ridgelines proposal and now a Utah company looking to build 66 and another company looking to build quite a few out in the desert. Crazy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:12 PM

Smile More jobs !!!

Local company International Isotopes wants in on the Areva announcement, check it out.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=8430907

With such a big player as Areva coming to town, we will begin to see more support and spin off type jobs such as these. And yes, N2IF has been saying this all along.

Also, looks like Red Robin is going to set up in IF, I don't have all the details yet though. Mmmmm, yummy burgers.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:02 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
Local company International Isotopes wants in on the Areva announcement, check it out.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=8430907

With such a big player as Areva coming to town, we will begin to see more support and spin off type jobs such as these. And yes, N2IF has been saying this all along.

Also, looks like Red Robin is going to set up in IF, I don't have all the details yet though. Mmmmm, yummy burgers.
It's good to see you guys are going to get a Red Robin. Ours just opened two months ago in the Riverstone mixed-use development. Just another choice for local consumers!

Be sure to post details of where it is going to be when you find out. Do you think they are going in Taylor's Crossing or SRL?
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:56 PM

Greeting to all:

I've been reading your thread for a while, and find the information that you post incredibly accurate, and I almost always read it here before I see it in the mainstream press........As for the location of the Red Robin. A few days ago I noticed a "Red Robin coming soon" banner on the corner of 17th and Hitt. I would guess that that means it will be going in the recently vacated building on the corner beside Sizzler.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:46 AM
Honored Member

Talking A Couple of Possible Red Robin Locations near I-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor junkie View Post
Greeting to all:

I've been reading your thread for a while, and find the information that you post incredibly accurate, and I almost always read it here before I see it in the mainstream press........As for the location of the Red Robin. A few days ago I noticed a "Red Robin coming soon" banner on the corner of 17th and Hitt. I would guess that that means it will be going in the recently vacated building on the corner beside Sizzler.

Outdoor Junkie - welcome to the thread.

Thanks for adding the info, outdoor junkie. It is good to have your comments here.

Yes, a lot of information is here before the mainstream news print/broadcasts it. Of course, they have a lot of other info to cover like crime, weather etc.

What is a little confusing about the Red Robin, is how it is being marketed along with reservations for the Fairfield. I've read no less than 6-7 links today, and everyone lists restaurants close to the Fairfield. Here is one example: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/hotel...nfo/57033.html

However, I do believe the Sizzling Platter group has the franchise rights to Red Robin. Sizzler is part of that group, as is Ruby River.

I wonder if there is any chance Red Robin would put a restaurant on the west side and east side of town. Meaning one close to Hitt and 17th and then an address close to the Fairfield? Isn't there a vacant, former restaurant available close to Sizzler (like JJ North's or whatever it was called)? Could RR plan on going in there, while also building a new building close to I-15?

I wouldn't think about RR being in two places, except I recently saw the property they are building on Foothill Dr. in SLC. Marie Calendar's was at that location previously, so that property has to be worth some serious $, given how busy/popular Marie's was.

As far as Jim's question of where a Red Robin might locate, if it were to go on the west side, I'd offer two different possibilities instead of TCOR or SRL. If there is still a pad close to the Hilton Garden Inn, that might be a location.

However, in looking at the diagrams closely, Eagle Rock Town Square, south of WalMart, west of TCOR and north of SRL may be a great location. That is the general area two hotels are still to be built.

What I didn't know is Eagle Rock Town Square (ERTS) is now being sub-divided into ERTS I and ERTS II. Additionally, we now have Eagle Ridge as a development in the area, south of Pancheri and what looks like it is immediately northwest of SRL.

While I could be wrong, I would expect freeway exposure and easy access to Red Robin. I strongly doubt SRL, given Iggy's and other restaurants planned for SRL would not make Red Robin a good fit. Iggy's, in some ways, would compete directly with Red Robin, IMHO. What do you think, if you've eaten at both?

I don't think there is room in TCOR, unless those two restaurant pads McNeil previously thought were a done deal, are still vacant. Since McNeil is actually building a Marriott Residence Inn now, plus will start residential building down the road, I'm not certain how much room they have left for restaurant pads.

To me, looking at the diagrams, it seems like Eagle Rock Town Square is the ideal location. Close to TCOR, SRL, Eagle Ridge, the freeway and possibly 2 new hotels. Maybe the major news outlets will let us know soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West