HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
The story doesn't dig into what the hold up is. Is it permitting from the city? Financing? Landing an anchor tenant? Waiting on Amtrak? (we wish)? What exactly are the challenges?
I think they are moving pretty fast considering the scale and complexity of this project.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I think they are moving pretty fast considering the scale and complexity of this project.
Yeah, I think the article means “there are good reasons for (wanting it to move faster).” Not there are good reasons it isn’t moving faster (which implies there's some unusual snag or slow counterparty).

This project is enormously complex—much more so than the Battery. This is comparable to Atlantic Station in complexity. The Battery had an advantage that the new stadium was the horse dragging the carriage along—it HAD to get delivered no matter what. This is “just” a real estate project, but requires basically all the government coordination and support of a new stadium project.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 11:22 PM

Any new pictures of the construction of those 3 buildings along the rail line/Mangum Street? I know they were removing a few feet of dirt but haven't heard anything beyond that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Any new pictures of the construction of those 3 buildings along the rail line/Mangum Street? I know they were removing a few feet of dirt but haven't heard anything beyond that.
Mangum Street in The Gulch???? When I search Mangum Street I get a short road off of Ivan Allen Blvd. Where in The Gulch are you referring to?

Site work coming along. Well be glad to se something starting to "rise up" soon.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 12:31 AM

I live in Castleberry. Today, there was so much foot traffic on the new bridge walkway after the Atlanta United game. I also love the Wild Leaf spot in the new lofts on Forsyth. This area is about to explode and one day could become more influential than midtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:50 PM

Does anyone have a link to the master plan for CY?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlurbsandspices View Post
Does anyone have a link to the master plan for CY?
Here's a link to a story with information and renderings that explain it all. What those buildings will end up looking like depends on a number of factors that have changed in the past year as they've shifted to having more residential and less office space.

It looks like if there are going to be any tall towers, it'll be the part closest to Marietta Street and Ted Turner Drive. My hope is that though CNN is moving back to the Techwood campus in Midtown, in a few years once WarnerDiscovery is out of debt, they'll realize the mistake they made and move back downtown into a new office/entertainment complex. The Discovery Channel is a perfect fit for the museumtainment offerings there already -- think Shark Week and the Georgia Aquarium.

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 7:00 PM

I posted about this "mess" of non work on MLK Blvd months ago and someone posted they were about to restart work. Been this way for yeaaaaaaars.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 4:59 PM

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 12:02 AM

Thank you for all of these updates Julien!

Is anyone planning about walkability through there? Keeping the Mitchell Street, MLK, Centennial Drive etc. bridges as 4 lanes with the skinny sidewalks is going to create a pedestrian safety situation when the old C&S building (222) and the Centennial Yards buildings come online.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 6:37 AM

Quote:

Is anyone planning about walkability through there? Keeping the Mitchell Street, MLK, Centennial Drive etc. bridges as 4 lanes with the skinny sidewalks is going to create a pedestrian safety situation when the old C&S building (222) and the Centennial Yards buildings come online.
Oooh. I like skinny sidewalks and anyone Willing to endure my lecture on local men local sharing men and more men

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 8:16 PM

Quote:

My "crazy a$$" idea would be to make the streets in the Centennial blocks for pedestrians, gathering/eating and VRU only (except for service/emergency) and make the traffic streets below on P1 level. This would be sooooo easy because of the "ground" level elevation. This would be very forward thinking and bring some progressive European feel to the district. Allow it to free flow and feel connected.

But being Atlanta I wouldn't be surprised if they do a redesign and find a way to run a 5 lane 50MPH stroad through the middle of it.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 1:25 AM

I wouldn't be surprised at just about anything these days. They will have to let at least some cars come across on the street level, because the railroad blocks vehicles from crossing on the ground level.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 1:30 PM

The biggest missed opportunity in Atlanta was not having 17th street below street grade in Atlantic Station. It would have been a massive improvement.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post

I posted about this "mess" of non work on MLK Blvd months ago and someone posted they were about to restart work. Been this way for yeaaaaaaars.

I come through that area every day across the pot-hole riddled mess that is the MLK viaduct beside the Richard Russell Federal Building. At the intersection with Ted Turner Drive, you have this dead end where you turn left onto the one-way portion of Turner Drive or turning right on the 2-way portion. It's very awkward, and lately, the traffic light at that intersection is not only out but completely taken down -- poles and all. What's the end game here? It looks like a movie set for a zombiepocalypse, so they might as well make money leasing it for film projects (when the writer's strike ends).

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 5:11 PM

Centennial Yards was master-planned to mirror the Fairlie-Poplar district which is why it has small blocks and a bunch of relatively small buildings. The entire development is meant as a pedestrian focused area and CIM has a vested interest in it turning out that way. On the other hand with South Downtown, we will have to rely on the city.

I am curious to see how the parking will be handled in the retail district.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
The biggest missed opportunity in Atlanta was not having 17th street below street grade in Atlantic Station. It would have been a massive improvement.
To me most of the streets should have been Ped/VRU only (they have blocked off 2 around the new green park) and NO on street parking. 17½th, 18th, 19th. Market St, and Atlantic Dr should all be no cars. Hell you have a 10K car parking deck but still have traffic and on street parking.

I suspect Central Yards will have a similar parking deck structure to Atlantic Station with a P1, P2 and P3 in most of the district.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:00 PM

The first crane for Centennial Yards is up:

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbowl View Post
The first crane for Centennial Yards is up:
Its happening

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 10:53 PM

Let the erection begin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta