HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 6:53 PM
Closed account

It certainly seems naive to simply expect that these 'students' would simply just go home once their visa was up. Almost comically so, given the cost needed to come here and the lack of opportunity back home.

At least we got a cheapo hit of labour and propped up some colleges, I guess. We got an underclass of people on the bureaucratic margins, just like other first-world countries get these days. Except those countries didn't voluntarily sign up for it.

The real entertaining bit will be the amnesty/citizenship push in a few years. If one thought selling Canadian citizenship to rich 'investors' stung, imagine the gnashing of teeth for those who got it for paying a year of international tuition at an Ontario college and bypassing the points hoop every other immigrant had to jump through.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 6:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

P'tit Renard might not be wrong that could end up with a situation similar to what one sees in the French banlieues these days.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:07 PM

I do feel bad for the students who have been taken advantage of by these fly by night diploma mills that mask themselves as colleges.

I do not, however, feel bad about these students having to pay exorbitant student fees nor their inability to find decent housing when they arrive. These are kids are suppose to be ready to go to a post-secondary school so one would assume they can read. All it would take is for them to take 5 minutes out of their texting time and Google the housing situation in Canada as well as the reputation of the school they are going to.

No one should be taken advantage of but at the same time no one is forcing these students to study in Canada. If they don't like the fees or the housing situation they have the ultimate choice of not coming. If they cannot afford to live here or pay their higher fees then they can look to another country/school where they can. If they would like to immigrate to Canada and have skills to offer, they can always go to school in their home countries and then apply.

No one without some form of immigration status has the right to come to Canada or any other country for that matter. Entering another country, for whatever reason, is a privilege not a right.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:29 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are perfectly entitled to feel that way but I think the overwhelming historical consensus is that in retrospect Meech would have been a relatively small price to pay to avoid all of the drama and turmoil of the 5-10 years that followed its demise. Even most of the Meech opponents of yore will say that today.
Meech happened before I was born, but I went back and read the proposal. Seems pretty sound to me. I think we would have been better off with it.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Meech happened before I was born, but I went back and read the proposal. Seems pretty sound to me. I think we would have been better off with it.
I think it's overly optimistic that it would have put Quebec independence to bed as an issue forever, but it would definitely have prevented Referendum 1995 from happening, and maybe things would have been mostly calm even from then until now.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The real entertaining bit will be the amnesty/citizenship push in a few years. If one thought selling Canadian citizenship to rich 'investors' stung, imagine the gnashing of teeth for those who got it for paying a year of international tuition at an Ontario college and bypassing the points hoop every other immigrant had to jump through.
Just amazing the lengths Sean Fraser and Justin Trudeau has taken in such a short time to bulldoze, hack and mutilate the multi-generational Anglo-Canadian consensus on immigration. Their sheer incompetence on this file is just mind-blowing.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think it's overly optimistic that it would have put Quebec independence to bed as an issue forever, but it would definitely have prevented Referendum 1995 from happening, and maybe things would have been mostly calm even from then until now.
Had it explicitly put the issue to bed forever, I wonder whether the outcome would have been different? Elijah Harper likely wouldn't have cared.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Had it explicitly put the issue to bed forever, I wonder whether the outcome would have been different? Elijah Harper likely wouldn't have cared.
Not sure what you mean by this. It's impossible to know if it would have put the issue to bed forever. Though almost certainly for the short term.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Just like the Quebec Seperatists not caring about the Indigenous people?

Did you know weeks before the referendum, the Indigenous people of Northern Quebec voted 96-4 to stay in Canada. When asked about this a female Quebec Bloc MP said that "it did not matter, as they were not really human beings anyway."

Of course, when the referendum failed Parizeau blamed it on Jews, Greeks, and Italians. The irony of the 1995 referendum, is the question itself was convoluted, and many Quebecois did not know that a "Oui" vote meant leaving Canada for good.

If the question was asked in a more direct manner- "Would you like to see Quebec separate from Canada to form it's own country?" the Non side would have easily won.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Did you know weeks before the referendum, the Indigenous people of Northern Quebec voted 96-4 to stay in Canada. When asked about this a female Quebec Bloc MP said that "it did not matter, as they were not really human beings anyway."

I did not know that. But do you have a trusty source or are you just making this up ? Please provide a link.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Feb 2, 2024 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Just like Canada not caring about the Indigenous people?

Of course, when the referendum failed Parizeau blamed it on Jews, Greeks, and Italians. The irony of the 1995 referendum, is the question itself was convoluted, and many Quebecois did not know that a "Oui" vote meant leaving Canada for good.

If the question was asked in a more direct manner- "Would you like to see Quebec separate from Canada to form it's own country?" the Non side would have easily won.
I sincerely doubt that Quebecers did not know what they were voting for. There was a lengthy campaign and a large lead up to it. Your comment paints Quebecers as ignorant.

How does 'Le Québec un pays' equate to something different than necessarily separating from Canada to form a new country?

Fixed the bolded item for you.

Last edited by Zeej; Feb 2, 2024 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
I sincerely doubt that Quebecers did not know what they were voting for. There was a lengthy campaign and a large lead up to it. Your comment paints Quebecers as ignorant.

How does 'Le Québec un pays' equate to something different than necessarily separating from Canada to form a new country?
Francophones definitely knew what they were voting for and the only ones I heard saying it wasn't clear are Anglophones. So, maybe Anglophones didn't understand what the vote was about and they would need a redo...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
Francophones definitely knew what they were voting for and the only ones I heard saying it wasn't clear are Anglophones. So, maybe Anglophones didn't understand what the vote was about and they would need a redo...
I'm really not looking to paint these kinds of divisions, especially because in the referendum format of every vote counts, we are all Quebecers of equal standing!! I think grosso-modo, everybody knew what they were voting for. Any notion to the contrary is absolutely ridiculous.

The wording of the question was not as straight-forward as it could have been, but nonetheless, the campaign was omnipresent in daily life for months. Everybody was aware.

It's a fallacy to assume that the NON would have won by more if the question had been 'Do you want Québec to separate from Canada and form a new, independent country.'

By the same logic, you could argue that more people may have voted OUI with the questions as it was - involving a renogotiation of the political and economic parntnership with Canada and proposing a new one. Maybe people didn't want a new partnership and voted NON as a result???

Either way, the logic doesn't hold up. People knew that they were voting for or against an independent Québec.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Isn't this a statistics thread? Don't we already have a Quebec Separatism Thread???

Maybe you guys should take this depressing conversation over there.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:55 PM

^^ Yea, exactly.

As for an actual update related to statistics, I’ve emailed StatCan and their next annual CMA release will be on May 22. Seems quite a bit later than other years:

Quote:
The next release date for the Canada's population estimates: Subprovincial areas for 2023 is set to be published on Wednesday, May 22, 2024. Please note that the release dates are subject to change.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 7:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Tangents are sometimes good and sometimes not, and the Quebec separatism tangent has not been particularly good at raising the level of the conversation (notwithstanding a small subset of contributions). There is a thread for that topic, so let's get back to Statistics Canada and issues pertaining directly to Canada's population statistics.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 9:04 PM

Immigration by CMA, 2023 (new permanent residents)

Toronto: 135,865
Vancouver: 54,890 (record)
Montréal: 38,405
Calgary: 27,410 (record)
Ottawa: 23,380 (record)
Edmonton: 21,645 (record)
Winnipeg: 19,960 (record)
Kitchener: 9,695 (record)
Saskatoon: 9,645 (record)
Regina: 9,410 (record)

Immigration by Country of citizenship, 2023 (new permanent residents)

India: 139,715 (record)
China: 31,765
Philippines: 26,950
Afghanistan: 20,165
Nigeria: 17,445
Pakistan: 11,850
Cameroon: 11,685 (record)
Eritrea: 10,670 (record)
Iran: 10,670
USA: 10,635

Government of Canada, Open Data, Permanent Residents
https://open.canada.ca/data/en/datas...9-9b8aff9b9eda

Last edited by kora; Feb 6, 2024 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 9:09 PM
Mooderator

Let us all thank kora for some stats.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kora View Post
Immigration by CMA, 2023 (new permanent residents)

Toronto: 135,865 (record)
Vancouver: 54,890 (record)
Montréal: 38,405
Calgary: 27,410 (record)
Ottawa: 23,380 (record)
Edmonton: 21,645 (record)
Winnipeg: 19,960 (record)
Kitchener: 9,695 (record)
Saskatoon: 9,645 (record)
Regina: 9,410 (record)

Immigration by Country of citizenship, 2023 (new permanent residents)

India: 139,715 (record)
China: 31,765
Philippines: 26,950
Afghanistan: 20,165
Nigeria: 17,445
Pakistan: 11,850
Cameroon: 11,685 (record)
Eritrea: 10,670 (record)
Iran: 10,670
USA: 10,635

Government of Canada, Open Data, Permanent Residents
https://open.canada.ca/data/en/datas...9-9b8aff9b9eda
Births essentially cancel out deaths, but NPRs out number PRs by 3:1. So multiply new PRs by 3 or 4 to get population growth (likely closer to 4 in Toronto with all of its satellite "campuses")? A few people may have left but I would not be surprised if Toronto grew by 500,000 last year.

woot woot?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 9:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So the number of people from India is almost the same as the number of people from the next 8-9 source countries combined.

It's often said that these days one in three immigrants or newcomers to Canada is from India. (Indians are numerous among TFWs and foreign students as well, so it likely holds up there too.)

Though I am wondering if it not be even higher than a third at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada