HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Don't want to bury the Amazon story, but this Daily Star article on the various food halls under development in town includes an interesting tidbit about the Ronstadt project.

http://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/f...bf02d848a.html
Interesting that they are now discussing moving the transit portion of the Ronstadt Center. I had understood that if the transit portion was moved, the grant money used to build the center would need to be reimbursed - $9million or something similar. Unless this is only a temporary move for construction.

If they are moving it permanently, they may have found a better ROI without a transit option - even with paying the penalty

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Interesting that they are now discussing moving the transit portion of the Ronstadt Center. I had understood that if the transit portion was moved, the grant money used to build the center would need to be reimbursed - $9million or something similar. Unless this is only a temporary move for construction.

If they are moving it permanently, they may have found a better ROI without a transit option - even with paying the penalty
Temporary move, I'm guessing to the triangle lot and parking lot next to the train station just north of the existing transit center.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 8:27 PM

Port of Tucson getting an Amazon

Tucson gettting an almost 1million sf distribution center, to be completed summer 2019
http://tiboaz.biz/2018/03/17/tucson-...bution-center/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 8:30 PM

^^I hope this means quicker and more certain deliveries in the Tucson metro.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Don't want to bury the Amazon story, but this Daily Star article on the various food halls under development in town includes an interesting tidbit about the Ronstadt project.

http://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/f...bf02d848a.html
"The concepts coming to town are modeled after famous markets like Pike Place Market in Seattle or the Ferry Building in San Francisco's Embarcadero District. People gravitate to them because the markets offer inexpensive food and a community feel that only comes with a large gathering place . . . ."

That isn't quite correct. As a long-time San Franciscan and now snow bird flying off to the Tucson area every winter (to escape northern CA rain), I am regular shopper at the Ferry building when in SF. The point of the best of these food halls--what makes them successful--isn't "inexpensive food". Quite the opposite. It's top quality artisanal groceries you can't get in super markets such as specialized charcuterie, organically raised heritage breeds of meat, local (usually organic) vegetables at the peak of season, locally made cheeses and things like olive oils and on and on and on.

If they build food halls in Tucson that are just independent versions of mall food courts with a bunch of fast food chains, it won't work--or at least it won't be anything like the Ferry Building or Pike Place Market (or even old-style food halls like Baltimore's North Avenue Market). What should be in these places is the creme de la creme of local farmers' markets, available every day.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
"The concepts coming to town are modeled after famous markets like Pike Place Market in Seattle or the Ferry Building in San Francisco's Embarcadero District. People gravitate to them because the markets offer inexpensive food and a community feel that only comes with a large gathering place . . . ."

That isn't quite correct. As a long-time San Franciscan and now snow bird flying off to the Tucson area every winter (to escape northern CA rain), I am regular shopper at the Ferry building when in SF. The point of the best of these food halls--what makes them successful--isn't "inexpensive food". Quite the opposite. It's top quality artisanal groceries you can't get in super markets such as specialized charcuterie, organically raised heritage breeds of meat, local (usually organic) vegetables at the peak of season, locally made cheeses and things like olive oils and on and on and on.

If they build food halls in Tucson that are just independent versions of mall food courts with a bunch of fast food chains, it won't work--or at least it won't be anything like the Ferry Building or Pike Place Market (or even old-style food halls like Baltimore's North Avenue Market). What should be in these places is the creme de la creme of local farmers' markets, available every day.
Pike Place is similar to what you're explaining (most options definitely aren't cheap) but, knowing Tucson Foodie, I think this was a poorly worded description. I can almost guarantee these food halls will be almost exclusively filled with local and artisan merchants.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:00 PM

Now that the cat is out of the bag, here's another article solidifying what we all know what and who the distribution center will be for:

That massive Project at Port of Tucson? Yeah, it’s Amazon!

The documents list a targeted substantial completion target of May 15, 2019 and a full completion, including all punch list items, of June 15, 2019.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Now that the cat is out of the bag, here's another article solidifying what we all know what and who the distribution center will be for:

That massive Project at Port of Tucson? Yeah, it’s Amazon!

The documents list a targeted substantial completion target of May 15, 2019 and a full completion, including all punch list items, of June 15, 2019.
So at 2.3mil sqft of work/storage space, does anyone know if this is typical size of a normal Amazon distribution facility or is this something bigger?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
So at 2.3mil sqft of work/storage space, does anyone know if this is typical size of a normal Amazon distribution facility or is this something bigger?
This site is a couple years old, but it lists fulfillment centers as of 2014. I don't see any as big as 2.3m sqft.

EDIT: forgot to link the site: http://auctionsitenews.com/amazon-fu...ter-locations/

Last edited by muertecaza; Mar 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:24 PM

http://www.mwpvl.com/html/amazon_com.html

If the ABEX article is correct and the building is 2.3 mil SF then its probably not just a distribution center for Pima County as it would be the largest distribution center in the US by 2 fold. It could however be a distrution center for Southern AZ, Sonora Mexico, and Southern New Mexico? Pure speculation at this point but very interesting to say the least.

Last edited by T'Town; Mar 21, 2018 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:59 PM

I am hearing that the Amazon proposal is still not final. Apparently a few other cities may still be in the running for this project. We may want to wait to celebrate until we hear official word.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 11:45 AM

Plans for Tucson's beloved Benedictine Monastery unveiled

"... Under the existing zoning, there is no historic protection for the monastery, and group dwelling (student housing) is an allowable use, and no neighborhood participation or design review is required. "

Translation : It will be done.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Plans for Tucson's beloved Benedictine Monastery unveiled

"... Under the existing zoning, there is no historic protection for the monastery, and group dwelling (student housing) is an allowable use, and no neighborhood participation or design review is required. "

Translation : It will be done.
This guy is ice cold.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:51 PM

This project makes no sense in that location. The odds of it ever being built are exceptionally low, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:14 PM

I may be in the minority on this one, but I 1) appreciate the developer's approach and 2) actually like the proposal. The City NAs have attempted to be dominant in developments like this...and have gotten their way too many times. Now, this developer has some leverage. Good for him. I'm not gonna take time to do research on this matter since this project is not in my backyard (pun very intended), but it does make me wonder why there was no historic protection in the first place? The monastery definitely deserves it...unlike the so-called "Sunshine Mile" that was recently designated some sort of nonsense historical significance to try and screw up/delay the Broadway project.

As-is, traffic certainly needs to be worked out.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
I may be in the minority on this one, but I 1) appreciate the developer's approach and 2) actually like the proposal. The City NAs have attempted to be dominant in developments like this...and have gotten their way too many times. Now, this developer has some leverage. Good for him. I'm not gonna take time to do research on this matter since this project is not in my backyard (pun very intended), but it does make me wonder why there was no historic protection in the first place? The monastery definitely deserves it...unlike the so-called "Sunshine Mile" that was recently designated some sort of nonsense historical significance to try and screw up/delay the Broadway project.

The order of nuns that owned it never listed it as historic because it would have decreased the value of the land.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:

In terms of the proposal, do you see demand for hundreds of luxury apartments at Speedway and Country Club? That's what's got me.

Are you near Sam Hughes? Yeah, kind of, but on the wrong side of the street. Are you near shopping? Yeah, kind of, but not really within walking distance. Are you near jobs/UA? Not from my perspective, but I guess. None of these are strong selling points to me, especially considering the scale of the project. Makes about as much sense as the Hilton East location-wise.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:51 PM

Ted, you got good points and I have nothing to stand on to counter. However, just like all the student-housing projects going up in the vicinity of the UofA, I would have to believe that this particular developer did his homework...or he would be losing tons of money. From what I've heard the student housing buildings have high occupancy rates. Is there demand for luxury apartments? If this guy is taking this project this far I hope so. Will this ever get built? Idk, but it is an interesting case.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Ted, you got good points and I have nothing to stand on to counter. However, just like all the student-housing projects going up in the vicinity of the UofA, I would have to believe that this particular developer did his homework...or he would be losing tons of money. From what I've heard the student housing buildings have high occupancy rates. Is there demand for luxury apartments? If this guy is taking this project this far I hope so. Will this ever get built? Idk, but it is an interesting case.
Unfortunately, there's this: http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-an...5605bcad2.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:28 PM

A little information on the student housing proposed at Speedway and Euclid

A Look At The Proposed Student Housing Development At Speedway & Euclid

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest