HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
I believe it would be very wise to discuss these kinds of ideas with our leaders. Outside of this forum, I’ve never heard any of our concerns properly address by anyone in the city.

Hatman, great stuff overall.
I agree entirely with this (amazing work Hatman BTW). However, it doesn't seem like any of our public officials are really considering this option, or they wouldn't be requesting funds for the public market study. I'd much rather have those funds go to a study on Hatman's option to be honest.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Correct and it has been an unmitigated disaster. It's literally the reason we have hundreds of hollowed out crack houses waiting to burn down. Ask me how I know.
The suspense is killing me. How do you know?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Woa! For a minute there, I thought this was going up on the derelict Zephyr club building on the SE corner of W Temple and 3rd South. And, I was about to put up some sort of rock and roll emoji. That corner definitely needs some love.

But, regardless this is decent infill project. It does seem pretty massive for the area, and lower facade seems quite banal, but better than nothing. More infill projects, please!
Is the Zephyr project replacing the surface parking just south of the paperbox development?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:48 AM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
There was a big fight about this one in the Historic Landmark Commission because the mansions on South Temple were going to lose their views, and they said it would cast a shadow on their property.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
There was a big fight about this one in the Historic Landmark Commission because the mansions on South Temple were going to lose their views, and they said it would cast a shadow on their property.
This is one of the biggest barriers to development is property owners who believe they have the right to things like views.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Is the Zephyr project replacing the surface parking just south of the paperbox development?
Yep. It sure looks like it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:39 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
The suspense is killing me. How do you know?
Someday soon Always Sunny. Some day soon. So here is the rub: you go to the city to hit them up about removing an eyesore property. High potential for unattended death, fire or a terrible combination thereof. Alas, you need a fully approved PERMIT SET, not a plan, to begin demolition. Let's say the fire department is requiring lot consolidation as a condition of approval and that your permit was in process for 10 months already. Well, then it's conditioned on full acquisition of your assemblage and lot consolidation, that may be conditioned on two or three or more contracts with a bunch of different sellers. Okay, so lets say the worst thing happens, the week you are closing your assemblage, not one but two of your un-salvageable crackhouses catches fire. Gratefully nobody is hurt. The fire chief issues an emergency demo order. The owner walks that order into the building dept hopeful of being able to remove this eyesore, which now resembles Dresden in 1945. Their response is "is it secured by fencing? Then it's considered safe. We hereby reject the emergency demo order from the fire department, oh and the emergency demo process takes six months, thanks.". The next week, boarding violations are posted around the property that the owner cannot touch. Permit still not issued.

Ladies and gentlemen, your city. The Sugarhole ordinance has been an abject failure. It has prevented removal of blighted properties which in this era of mass homelessness in every corner of the west side of the city except Rio Grande, is a problem. It has also NOT prevented things like the Millennium Tower site sitting fallow. This is what happens when our city tries to solve problems with poorly thought out code.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:19 PM

Berkadia 4Q2019 Multifamily Housing Report

I'm not sure if this has been posted on this forum before, but Berkadia releases quarterly reports on all the major multifamily housing projects from Ogden all the way down to Provo.

They just released their Q4 for 2019 a couple days ago: https://www.berkadia.com/wp-content/...ap_Reduced.pdf

Here is also the link to the main page where they place the reports when they are released: https://www.berkadia.com/research-an...ipeline-report

They sort projects into 4 categories: lease up, under construction, planned, and prospective developments.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it in case any of you were curious.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks Old&New for cross-posting my Rio Grande plan. I had thought that including a link and a teaser image would be enough, but I guess I'm going to have to be a lot more assertive if I'm going to get my ideas out there.

I like the idea of a public market in the Rio Grande depot. I hope it grows so much that they get their own building just before we repurpose the depot back to a train station. Ultimately a public market would be best served by a building designed to be a public market, but I'm all for sharing public space in the meanwhile. Hopefully it will get people to fall in love with the old depot enough to want to see it used for its original purpose again.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:43 PM

Shipping container housing coming to the West side of downtown.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/...Hwtpc3dP2-OKrA

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Thanks Old&New for cross-posting my Rio Grande plan. I had thought that including a link and a teaser image would be enough, but I guess I'm going to have to be a lot more assertive if I'm going to get my ideas out there.

I like the idea of a public market in the Rio Grande depot. I hope it grows so much that they get their own building just before we repurpose the depot back to a train station. Ultimately a public market would be best served by a building designed to be a public market, but I'm all for sharing public space in the meanwhile. Hopefully it will get people to fall in love with the old depot enough to want to see it used for its original purpose again.
I just worry they alter it too much, and then later use the argument that it has been altered too much to restore to a train depot and then the argument to move the tracks east and below-grade to align with the depot looses strength, and worse they decide the building has been altered so much that it has lost it's historic significance and value and then they tear it down.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Shipping container housing coming to the West side of downtown.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/...Hwtpc3dP2-OKrA
While definitely not the sexiest of buildings, it will be very interesting to see this get built. SLC is definitely ahead of other cities regarding this new type of construction. The city should have required much more glass on the ground level, though. It has a very unattractive ground floor street frontage.

<

Last edited by Orlando; Feb 3, 2020 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
While definitely not the sexiest of buildings, it will be very interesting to see this get built. SLC is definitely ahead of other cities regarding this new type of construction.

<
It looks like something I would draw. IDK, maybe it is supposed to lean. A feature not a bug.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 2:32 AM

Some photo updates:

95 State

Liberty Sky

The Exchange

Reverse side of the Exchange. The wood framing in the background is Phase II, which they've just proceeded with.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 12:01 PM

Marv, Do you foresee a concerted effort by the new Mendenhall administration to correct some of the most egregious problems?

Thanks Scott for the great updates. How's the film industry progressing along the Wasatch Front? I noticed a huge amount of Holiday filming from Utah this season. Seemed like the Wasatch Front was representing just about everywhere on the continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Someday soon Always Sunny. Some day soon. So here is the rub: you go to the city to hit them up about removing an eyesore property. High potential for unattended death, fire or a terrible combination thereof. Alas, you need a fully approved PERMIT SET, not a plan, to begin demolition. Let's say the fire department is requiring lot consolidation as a condition of approval and that your permit was in process for 10 months already. Well, then it's conditioned on full acquisition of your assemblage and lot consolidation, that may be conditioned on two or three or more contracts with a bunch of different sellers. Okay, so lets say the worst thing happens, the week you are closing your assemblage, not one but two of your un-salvageable crackhouses catches fire. Gratefully nobody is hurt. The fire chief issues an emergency demo order. The owner walks that order into the building dept hopeful of being able to remove this eyesore, which now resembles Dresden in 1945. Their response is "is it secured by fencing? Then it's considered safe. We hereby reject the emergency demo order from the fire department, oh and the emergency demo process takes six months, thanks.". The next week, boarding violations are posted around the property that the owner cannot touch. Permit still not issued.

Ladies and gentlemen, your city. The Sugarhole ordinance has been an abject failure. It has prevented removal of blighted properties which in this era of mass homelessness in every corner of the west side of the city except Rio Grande, is a problem. It has also NOT prevented things like the Millennium Tower site sitting fallow. This is what happens when our city tries to solve problems with poorly thought out code.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Some photo updates:

The Exchange

Reverse side of the Exchange. The wood framing in the background is Phase II, which they've just proceeded with.
I'm very surprised that they were able to make this feasible. 9 stories requires Type I construction, which is concrete or steel. 8 stories (5 stories of wood frame construction over 3 stories of concrete) is the limit of wood frame construction, at least in Seattle. So, we never do 9 stories of Type I. It's got to be significantly taller to make that pencil out. In addition, they are doing a lot of affordable units in this project. So, it's even more difficult to make this pencil out. Not sure how they got this to work, but I think this might have come from some naivete of the developer and maybe their architect also. I love the design and the developers, GIV, despite my doubts.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:18 PM

Any current image with the work going on with the block 67

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:24 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Marv, Do you foresee a concerted effort by the new Mendenhall administration to correct some of the most egregious problems?

Thanks Scott for the great updates. How's the film industry progressing along the Wasatch Front? I noticed a huge amount of Holiday filming from Utah this season. Seemed like the Wasatch Front was representing just about everywhere on the continent.
Changes to the Sugarhole ordinance have been in conversation for months. I know Jackie really liked it for some reason. Planning staff is on it. I think Erin and the council could change it in the next 6 months.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:01 PM

^^^
I agree, Keeping hope that Mayor Erin will raise the bar.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 4, 2020 at 3:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West