HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 9:32 PM

https://twitter.com/numble/status/1746660560756736215

Quote:
numble
@numble
January 2024 LA Metro construction summary (2 months since last report).

D Line 1-3: 89% (+1%), 62% (+1%), 50.8% (+0.1%)
Foothill: 79% (+1%)
LAX station: 60.7% (+2.4%)
Division 20: 62% (+7%)
NoHo-Pasadena BRT contractor RFP planned this month (again).
JANUARY 2024 project updates

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I don't have any long term experience with Hyundai Rotem rolling stock so I can't speak to its reliability, but based on what I've seen riding them on brief visits in various Asian cities, they seem pretty smooth, clean, and modern. Never had any issues and they were enjoyable to ride.

Looks like Metrolink and MBTA commuter rail uses their rolling stock as well, but that's obviously for commuter rail passenger cars, so not exactly the same. But it might speak to the overall build quality you might expect.
Tri-Rail in South Florida has them as well.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 11:45 PM

Bridge now open above California’s ‘most dangerous’ train crossing

Travis Schlepp
KTLA 5
January 19, 2024

A vehicle overpass has officially opened above a busy intersection in Los Angeles County that California officials once called the “most dangerous” train crossing in the entire state.

The overpass is located at the intersection of Rosecrans and Marquardt avenues in Santa Fe Springs.

It opened to vehicle traffic on Monday, bringing an end to years of dangerous and unwanted interactions between vehicles and trains.

From 2013 to 2019, trains and vehicles collided on 31 occasions at the intersection, resulting in six deaths and seven injuries. Additional incidents have taken place at the intersection, including a fatality last year, but finding the most recent data is difficult.

In 2016, the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, aka Metro, announced it would be improving the dangerous corridor by building an overpass for vehicles.

The $156 million project broke ground in June 2022. While the bridge is open to vehicle traffic, construction continues to add new sidewalks and pavement on three of the roads. Utility work, landscaping, striping and signage will also be taking place throughout the year with full completion estimated around 2025.

The California High-Speed Rail Authority was a major funding partner in the project, as its trains will be sharing the corridor as part of its Los Angeles to Orange County route.

Both transportation agencies celebrated the accomplishment Friday on social media.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Not a fan of underground. I much prefer elevated, then level grade, then underground. I love the gold line especially as it goes through neighborhoods to see shops around, farmers market, different nights all the way to Azusa. The flyovers of the LA river is cool.

The Expo line is cool especially the elevated sections starting at LA brea station towards Santa Monica. Even the blue line has cool aerial sections.

Outside of LA, I like the elevated sections of elevated on Bart, on nyc boroughs, Seoul, Tokyo, Bangkok, Paris.

I prefer an elevated Vermont rail for the same reason. Most homes and businesses are 2 maybe 3 floors or less making the train views all over.the region.

I hate the subway, nothing to look at except the things people are doing wierd.
What a difference between California and Meatball Ron in Florida, where Brightline has killed more than sixty people.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:11 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

I hate to defend that terrible little "warrior against woke" clown, but it's Rick Scott, a truly freaky conservative ex-gov I'm 80-90% convinced is of human extraction, that killed for purely ideological reasons the true-hsr publicly funded Florida Overland Xpress proposal in favor of the private venture conventional higher speed rail All Aboard Florida that we now know as Brightline.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 8:24 AM

Speaking of the new subway cars:

source

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:32 PM

LA Metro light-rail project is rebranded by the public as ‘Southeast Gateway Line’
The confusing original name — West Santa Ana Branch Line — is tossed for one that's accurate

By Steve Scauzillo
LA Daily News
Jan. 22, 2024

"After 1,200 name submissions and nearly 4,500 votes from the public, LA Metro’s poorly-named “West Santa Ana Branch” light-rail project, which will take riders from Artesia to Los Angeles — not to Santa Ana or Orange County — got a new name on Monday, Jan. 22.

The Southeast Gateway Line was born amid shouts of joy, jazz music and a half-dozen speeches from dignitaries during a rebranding ceremony in Bellflower. The conclusion of a nearly six-month renaming effort may have reversed years of criticism aimed at LA Metro for the confusing name that officials say caused the light-rail line to lose billions in federal and state grant dollars.

“This is not the grand opening. And it’s not the ribbon-cutting. But it is important,” said Whittier Mayor Pro-Tem and LA Metro Second Vice Chair Fernando Dutra. He explained that 10 years ago Metro named the project “West Santa Ana Branch” after an existing Pacific Electric Red Car right-of-way that once took passengers from L.A. all the way to Santa Ana in Orange County. That line has not run since 1961..."

https://www.dailynews.com/2024/01/22...-gateway-line/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 12:40 AM

This is in addition to the $3B grant awarded by the Biden administration last month:

US approves $2.5 billion for high-speed rail line connecting SoCal with Las Vegas

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 3:44 AM

Took the J Line formally Orange three stops from Woodman Station to North Hollywood and the B Line formally Red Line Subway to downtown LA and then the E Line 3 stops to the new Little Toyko station on Sunday afternoon. I actually could have stayed on the B Line to Union Station but wanted to ride on the new segments they just opened. This was the first time I rode the train since before Covid. I had stop because the craziness was so bad, it just wasn't worth it. My experience on Sunday was mostly positive, what a huge difference. I witness all types of people of different races, and lots of tourists, it was really pleasant. Both the bus and train were busy, yet not as busy as I once remembered a few years ago, but still decent. One station surprised me was Universal City, that was crazy busy in the past, but kind of empty compared to the past. All of the stations from Hollywood Highland to downtown were pretty active, and I like the classical music blaring in the Westlake station when the doors opened up.

Going back home to the valley was a bit different, it was dark but nothing really bad. Someone lit up in one of the trains, but I just moved to the next car when we made it to the next station. Other than that, a group of 30 something eastern European guys, and I think they could have been Russian or Ukrainian. They came into the 7th Street Metro station with a big boom box blaring very loud and playing Tupac. It was kind of funny because they look a little silly with one wearing a green bandanna around his neck. I just made sure I didn't ride in the same car. Not that I have a problem with the music I just didn't feel like public transportation is the place, I rather have my peace and quiet. One other thing there was a guy walking through the train selling socks, not a big deal as I've seen this in just about every city I visited in the USA when riding the train.

So, I decided to take the train to the Arts District to pick up some espresso beans from one of my favorite cafes since I was out. I have to say seeing this area on foot was a pleasant surprise since I haven't walked around there in a very long time. I been there in my car for again for only brief periods, usually with my wife and son. Wife hates walking so going by myself I could explore on my own without any complaints about walking too far, yay. By the way she was freaking out me taking the bus/train. She used to take it with me but when things started getting bad, she just didn't want to be bother, she even tried to convince me to just get some beans locally in nearby Sherman Oaks and was checking yelp reviews and texting me thinking that would change my mind, but no way and here I am.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Jan 25, 2024 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
This is in addition to the $3B grant awarded by the Biden administration last month:

US approves $2.5 billion for high-speed rail line connecting SoCal with Las Vegas
Any money the Brightline link gets should be at least matched by money for CAHSR.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 6:25 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

I wouldn't worry about the next large sum for CHSR. I think it will be dedicated and likely substantially more than what Brightline just received.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Any money the Brightline link gets should be at least matched by money for CAHSR.
High-Speed Rail Authority to Receive Record $3.1 Billion From Biden Administration

In a show of support for the state’s vision, the Biden-Harris Administration is awarding the High-Speed Rail Authority $3.073 billion to advance construction in California’s Central Valley to achieve the project’s goal of clean, fast and affordable transportation from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gochujang View Post
High-Speed Rail Authority to Receive Record $3.1 Billion From Biden Administration

In a show of support for the state’s vision, the Biden-Harris Administration is awarding the High-Speed Rail Authority $3.073 billion to advance construction in California’s Central Valley to achieve the project’s goal of clean, fast and affordable transportation from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
Indeed but that was an earlier announcement. The $2.5B in bonds is additional funding beyond the Infrastructure Investment & Jobs Act grants announced in December 2023.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 9:09 PM
BANNED

I see. Kinda odd that this "private" project has received $5.5b in federal money but I'll take it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Two things:

1. These are private activity bonds that come out of a program for privately-financed projects, so CAHSR would not qualify as they are not privately-financed. There is an equivalent for publicly-financed projects, though (TIFIA).

2. These are bonds that need to be paid back. If CAHSR wants bonds it needs to apply for them and point to a credible source of funding to repay the bonds. CAHSR currently doesn't have a source of funding after 2030 when Cap-and-Trade expires (unless it gets renewed), so they don't have a source of funding to point to to pay back any bonds. They currently don't have bonds in their business plan, but they say they might pursue TIFIA bonds if Cap-and-Trade was extended and keeps funding them.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
Two things:

1. These are private activity bonds that come out of a program for privately-financed projects, so CAHSR would not qualify as they are not privately-financed. There is an equivalent for publicly-financed projects, though (TIFIA).

2. These are bonds that need to be paid back. If CAHSR wants bonds it needs to apply for them and point to a credible source of funding to repay the bonds. CAHSR currently doesn't have a source of funding after 2030 when Cap-and-Trade expires (unless it gets renewed), so they don't have a source of funding to point to to pay back any bonds. They currently don't have bonds in their business plan, but they say they might pursue TIFIA bonds if Cap-and-Trade was extended and keeps funding them.
Irrelevant to me ... any time there is an announcement of funding for Brightline West it should be accompanied by news of funding (wherever it comes from, and whatever the terms are) for CAHSR ... there should be no difference in the public's eye between these two projects ... Brightline's Los Angeles to Las Vegas project should only be successful if CAHSR is also successful.

Brightline's success should be contingent on other High speed rail projects being successful too.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Irrelevant to me ... any time there is an announcement of funding for Brightline West it should be accompanied by news of funding (wherever it comes from, and whatever the terms are) for CAHSR ... there should be no difference in the public's eye between these two projects ... Brightline's Los Angeles to Las Vegas project should only be successful if CAHSR is also successful.

Brightline's success should be contingent on other High speed rail projects being successful too.
I suspect that a successful high-speed railroad between Southern California and Las Vegas will work to increase demand for high-speed rail in the rest of the state.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 10:51 AM

I also think that CAHSR and Brightline should jointly operate on the High Desert Corridor part of the system.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:

It's just an announcement of a loan. It is very easy for privately financed projects to get a loan. It isn't realistic for there to be a free grant to CAHSR to be announced everytime a loan is announced for Brightline. There will probably be announcements of Nevada and California authorizing loans to Brightline pretty soon (they previously announced and canceled loans for Brightline in prior years: https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/n...ect/112683996/).

If it makes you feel any better, CAHSR quietly gets $1.5-$2 billion per year from California's Cap-and-Trade carbon credits system, and there are no quarterly announcements for that (maybe to prevent people from arguing that Cap-and-Trade revenue should not be going to CAHSR).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post

For the same amount of money, you could extend the D Line to Wilshire/4th and the B Line to Expo/Vermont, assuming both would qualify for federal New Starts matching funds. And if you extend the D Line to Santa Monica, the original HRT alternative serving WeHo would probably be cost-effective to qualify.

There’s something very wrong with the fact that we’re spending billions of dollars on the WSAB (Gateway Line) and ESFV LRT/streetcar, when other projects would actually end up costing less (because 50% of it will be funded by the federal and state governments), achieve higher ridership, and in turn make all projects that come after it more cost-effective.

The problem with Measures R/M is that it allocates funding by region AND prescribes which projects are to be built. Most voters don’t know the expenditure details of the ordinance, so it’s the local politicians who are to blame because they must approve the ordinance in order for anything to reach the ballot. Prop A/C money bans use of funds for subway tunneling, while Metro is inexplicably averse to elevated conventional HRT. Inefficiency, incompetence, and lack of transparency all around. Monorail is still an option for the Sepulveda corridor, headways are abysmal, and the renaming of the WSAB is celebrated like it’s a major achievement.

Give Metro the $300 billion to plan and build the rail network we need, and they will find a way to screw it up.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation