HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:12 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Final EIR released for $500M Dodger Stadium gondola
The trip between Dodger Stadium and Union Station would take about seven minutes
DECEMBER 05, 2023, 8:00AM STEVEN SHARP

Plans for an aerial gondola system which would connect the Dodger Stadium parking lots with Los Angeles Union Station continue to inch forward, with the release of the project's final environmental impact report.

The approximately $500-million project, announced five years ago Los Angeles Aerial Rapid Transit (LA ART), is backed in part by former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt. Plans call for the construction of a roughly 1.2-mile system which would connect to the ballpark via Chinatown. The system would run north on cables suspended more than 100 feet above Alameda Street until reaching toward Los Angeles State Historic Park, where the route would veer west Bishops Road toward Dodger Stadium, crossing the aforementioned park, North Broadway, and SR-110 Freeway on its approach to the ballpark.

Per the environmental study, maximum capacity on the gondola system is estimated to be 5,000 passengers per hour, with free admission provided with a ticket to a Dodger game, and all other rides priced the same as a Metro fare. Cabins would travel at a speed of approximately 13.4 miles per hour with headways of 23 seconds, leading to an end-to-end trip of seven minutes.

The gondola will require the approval of several state and local agencies, including the Caltrans, California State Parks, Metro, and the City of Los Angeles. Should those approvals be granted, construction could commence as early as 2024 and conclude within 25 months.
https://la.urbanize.city/post/final-...tadium-gondola

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:14 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:49 PM

Fantastic, 5000 people an hour off the streets, a new landmark and we don't pay for it? Yes please

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Fantastic, 5000 people an hour off the streets, a new landmark and we don't pay for it? Yes please
The Angels used to have a promotion where you got a free ticket if you took Metrolink to the game. Perhaps LA MTA could have a similar promotion if you take transit to the Dodger game and transfer to the gondola.

This looks fantastic. Hopefully the NIMBYs currently opposing it don't delay this too much.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 6:07 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The Angels used to have a promotion where you got a free ticket if you took Metrolink to the game. Perhaps LA MTA could have a similar promotion if you take transit to the Dodger game and transfer to the gondola.

This looks fantastic. Hopefully the NIMBYs currently opposing it don't delay this too much.
There will be.

Per the article:

Quote:
with free admission provided with a ticket to a Dodger game, and all other rides priced the same as a Metro fare
Edit: Nevermind, misread your comment. In Oakland, they used to have Dollar Wednesdays, where it was $1 tickets and $1 hot dogs if you took BART to an A's game.

But either way, I think there should be opportunities for promos here.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 7:39 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Awesome this looks to be actually happening.

But...hmmm...

___

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:54 AM

Ah, cool.

And being that baseball/softball have been added back to the summer Olympics (at least for LA 2028), this will come in handy for Olympic spectators in 2028, assuming that Dodger Stadium will be a/the venue for baseball/softball.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 7:54 PM

I love the Aerial Tram!!

For some reason, the LAX thread appears and disappears. I dont see it again, so here is a quick update

LAX T4 Satellite concourse formwork has been completed

Bradley west gates south concourse eagles nest replacement is doing ground shoring pre-construction activities.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
For some reason, the LAX thread appears and disappears. I dont see it again, so here is a quick update
The default display is 100 days. At the bottom of the page you can change it to one year and voila.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 8:16 AM
BANNED

I don't get the practical merits of the gondola. $500m seems like a tremendous misallocation of transit resources for a mode whose max utility is delivering 5000 pph to a venue designed to seat 40-50k people. This is a per hour rate! Theoretically this gondola would still take 2 hours to deliver 20% of the stadium's spectators, if a full 20% of the spectators willingly arrive between 0.5-2 hours before the game to ensure the gondola stays at capacity. Because the only way you'll get a full 5000pph is if you have human-crush conditions at the chinatown transfer station, to ensure every single gondola is packed - obviously this will not happen in the real world. As with all transit systems outside of NYC, real ridership is almost never at full capacity - and this is LA mind you, a city that's allergic to transit. As a means of improving dodger's stadium transit connectivity this project is already DOA. This idea is about as dumb as Musk's boring company.

LA's collective urbanism IQ is borderline retarded. Can I say this?

Last edited by CalUrbanist; Dec 11, 2023 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 5:38 PM

Why do people not realize that there are multiple ways to get to dodger stadium and this is just another option. If 5000 to 7500 take this, 5000 to 7500 take the bus then all of a sudden 10,000 to 15,000 a game are taking transit. It's private money, it's cool and it helps. Build it

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 5:49 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

^What this guy said.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Why do people not realize that there are multiple ways to get to dodger stadium and this is just another option. If 5000 to 7500 take this, 5000 to 7500 take the bus then all of a sudden 10,000 to 15,000 a game are taking transit. It's private money, it's cool and it helps. Build it
It's not necessarily only private money. Per the Los Angeles Times article: "The governmental hearings on the project could well be dominated by issues the 3,700-page report did not address, including whether there would be guarantees that taxpayer funding would not be used . . . "

If it's going to be our money, then I think half a billion dollars could be put to better use.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Ohtani can chip in $100M...

Isn't there discussion to add housing to the parking lots around Dodger stadium at some point? If so, at least some of the residents there will take the gondola in the other direction to downtown.

I also think this will become an attraction, itself, for Southern California, offering great views of both downtown and the San Gabriel mountains. I am sure there will be passengers who will take this on non-game days if it runs then.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Ohtani can chip in $100M...

Isn't there discussion to add housing to the parking lots around Dodger stadium at some point? If so, at least some of the residents there will take the gondola in the other direction to downtown.

I also think this will become an attraction, itself, for Southern California, offering great views of both downtown and the San Gabriel mountains. I am sure there will be passengers who will take this on non-game days if it runs then.
Exactly. The Dodgers and McCourt will inevitably build up the parking lots, as they should. Complete waste of land as it currently is

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
It's not necessarily only private money. Per the Los Angeles Times article: "The governmental hearings on the project could well be dominated by issues the 3,700-page report did not address, including whether there would be guarantees that taxpayer funding would not be used . . . "

If it's going to be our money, then I think half a billion dollars could be put to better use.
Thats just musings by the LA Times writers, who are no longer objective if there is some social justice issue they can latch onto.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Thats just musings by the LA Times writers, who are no longer objective if there is some social justice issue they can latch onto.
Don't be surprised if those "musings" prove to be true. Any expectation of taxpayer funding will absolutely draw attention at the public hearings. We're talking about $500,000,000 here.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Don't be surprised if those "musings" prove to be true. Any expectation of taxpayer funding will absolutely draw attention at the public hearings. We're talking about $500,000,000 here.
Please explain where there is a spare $500m in taxpayer money to go to this project. I am very familiar with the funding plans (and funding gaps) of LA Metro's taxpayer-funded projects, I don't see where $500m could come from. The EIR itself says the project has not sought any public sources of funding.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
Please explain where there is a spare $500m in taxpayer money to go to this project. I am very familiar with the funding plans (and funding gaps) of LA Metro's taxpayer-funded projects, I don't see where $500m could come from. The EIR itself says the project has not sought any public sources of funding.
Oh, I couldn't explain that--and I wouldn't support it even if I could. My guess is similar to that of the Times columnist--that the gondola project will want taxpayer money, and that it will be very controversial.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
Thank you

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation