HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
The ESB is 20 blocks away. Why does it matter?
It does block or at least box in the ESB from certain angles. We were just discussing this in the One WTC thread. You can see for yourself.

Quote:
Also, that building is the least attractive built during its time. The building, in essence, is a box with setbacks. Take a look at the gorgeous Chrysler Building or 70 Pine St for inspiration which, also are far better buildings of its time.
I agree the Chrysler building is a lot better, but the ESB is still iconic. And that's only one point from a few reasons why I didn't care for the building. The biggest reason is, like I said, I feel it has no connection with the surrounding cityscape and just seems to stand out like a giant match-stick. A few of these buildings in this same style have been built, or are being proposed. And I find them very unimaginative and jarring.

And while you're attacking my reasoning, the ESB, and even my handle here, you still haven't given me ONE reason why you like the building, which is a bit strange.

Quote:
P.S. -- True Art Deco can never be revived. Have you seen worldwide attempts at it? Let's just say that it isn't going too well no matter the effort. It's best to leave it in the past and cherish (some) buildings that remain today.
Okay, you're obviously taking this personally, even though I said I was just asking, not challenging. Why is it so hard to discuss differences on the internet, without arguing? This thread isn't even about art deco. Anyway, my handle is facetious, because art-deco is my favorite style and it just sounded cool. I don't really have an opinion on modern attempts at art-deco, because I haven't seen any true cases of art-deco being replicated in the modern world. Some glass bastardizations, but none that could truly be classified as traditional art-deco.

Any way, if this is how you conduct an architectural discussion of the building's merits, then please forget I asked.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
The biggest reason is, like I said, I feel it has no connection with the surrounding cityscape
The "surrounding cityscape" is like 90% modernist boxes. One could hardly choose an architectural style more suitable for the surroundings.

Park Avenue is almost all modernist design from around 60th Street southwards.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
And while you're attacking my reasoning, the ESB, and even my handle here, you still haven't given me ONE reason why you like the building, which is a bit strange..
The color alone makes it stand out of the bunch.

Quote:
Okay, you're obviously taking this personally, even though I said I was just asking, not challenging. Why is it so hard to discuss differences on the internet, without arguing? This thread isn't even about art deco. Anyway, my handle is facetious, because art-deco is my favorite style and it just sounded cool. I don't really have an opinion on modern attempts at art-deco, because I haven't seen any true cases of art-deco being replicated in the modern world. Some glass bastardizations, but none that could truly be classified as traditional art-deco.

Any way, if this is how you conduct an architectural discussion of the building's merits, then please forget I asked.
So true, recent attempts of art-deco have been... let's just say very different.

Otherwise, good post.

Last edited by Perklol; Sep 15, 2014 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:59 AM

I don't think it's tall enough.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:16 AM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:33 AM
An Optimistic Realist

How tall is it now and how tall will it most likely be by Thanksgiving? Just asking since I will be visiting Manhattan soon.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 7:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
you still haven't given me ONE reason why you like the building, which is a bit strange.

And no one owes you an explanation for anything. If they say they like it, they like it. If you don't like it, you don't like it. What's strange is your obsession with what someone else likes.

samsebeskazal

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 8:10 AM

Took this photo yesterday (09-14-14) from Middle Village:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 12:35 PM
BANNED

^ I like that.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:58 PM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Graffhead91 View Post
Took this photo yesterday (09-14-14) from Middle Village:
EPIC shot. Look how small One 57 looks compared to it despite not being that much further away.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:47 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

park & 59th

8th ave

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
EPIC shot. Look how small One 57 looks compared to it despite not being that much further away.
It makes the 1,005' One57, located almost equidistantly to the west, look downright puny.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Why? I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm honestly curious what others like about it besides its' imposing height. To me…. well, I'm not a fan of these kind of tall, skinny towers. They seem to just stick out of the skyline like jarring radio-masts and don't really add anything new, in comparison to the views they take away (like the ESB from certain angles).

Not trying to challenge. Just trying to understand.
Well it's already one of the best examples of minimalist skyscraper architecture in the world. It uses a single cement superstructure for it's interior, exterior, and structural support.... it doesn't get more minimalist than that.

With these supertalls being built on the north end of midtown the only views of ESB they are blocking are from planes. and as far as context goes. I can't think of anything more contextual. NYC has a long history of building awkwardly tall buildings.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Sexy as hell

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 7:38 PM

"Awkwardly tall?" You must be kidding, aren't you. That view of 1930s NY will likely never be surpassed.

Last edited by vandelay; Sep 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Well it's already one of the best examples of minimalist skyscraper architecture in the world. It uses a single cement superstructure for it's interior, exterior, and structural support.... it doesn't get more minimalist than that.

With these supertalls being built on the north end of midtown the only views of ESB they are blocking are from planes. and as far as context goes. I can't think of anything more contextual. NYC has a long history of building awesomely tall buildings.
Fixed it

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:51 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

Now they just need to somehow build the Chicago Spire right smack dab in the middle between 432 and one 57.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Now they just need to somehow build the Chicago Spire right smack dab in the middle between 432 and one 57.
You mean Steinway Tower and Tower Verre?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive