HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I cant place that building...what interesetion is that.....does it still stand?

Great Building

I think we need more buildings of this style of scale at major intersections in this city instead of the schlock branch bank single story tripe

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:37 PM

Wasn't that Madison/Ogden/Ashland? Long gone.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
I cant place that building...what interesetion is that.....does it still stand?

Great Building

I think we need more buildings of this style of scale at major intersections in this city instead of the schlock branch bank single story tripe
Well, we used to have buildings like that. But we knocked them all down up put up schlock bank branches in their place. In fact, in this case we dont even have a bank branch...its an empty parking lot (as is almost the entire block)

Now

Really sad....

Last edited by Via Chicago; Apr 2, 2009 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 10:03 PM
Urbane observer

^Atop the Flatiron Building, 1555 W. Madison, corner of Ogden and Ashland. The sign was erected in June 1956.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
wait... what? why are so many of you guys pro-olympics. among its many other cons, it will do tremendous amounts of economic damage to this city. why do you guys think it'll just magically spawn 13.5 billion. in fact i'd be very worried if we did magically spawn that money and built all this, because the city could never sustain all the over-growth.
it's such flawed thinking.
we need more responsible and realistic planning in this city.
Over-growth? Do you realize that the city's peak population 60 years ago was 700,000 higher than it is today? Back then, there were still open fields out by Midway too. In the past, we had far more people living in far less space. This city is far from over built, and as long as transportation infrastructure is improved and expanded, then there is no such thing as "overbuilding". Density is necessary for vibrancy in a city, and density is necessary for a more sustainable world.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:12 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, we used to have buildings like that. But we knocked them all down up put up schlock bank branches in their place. In fact, in this case we dont even have a bank branch...its an empty parking lot (as is almost the entire block)

Now

Really sad....
wow that is really sad.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 1:19 AM
The City

Quote:

Now

Really sad....
^ WOW that picture made my day

God BLESS urban renewal

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 1:27 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

May have gottn lost at bottom of page...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6580

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 2:27 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ WOW that picture made my day

God BLESS urban renewal

Just for the record, the loss of that building had nothing to do with an official urban renewal effort. Also, Via, I've never confirmed this, but I think it was actually sitting in that triangular patch where the cool sculpture is now.

There were others like it lost for that reason though.

Chicago had at least 8 or 9 neighborhood buildings like that at one time. I keep a running list since it is sad and curious also that they are all gone now. I think part of this is that many did not have elevators, and Chicago is not a city where people are used to walkups greater than 4 stories in height.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:27 AM
Ex Houstonian

I just can never understand though the mentality in the 30s-70s of, lets destroy everthing beautiful for no reason and replace it with a craptastic highway, parking lot, or an architecturally devoid bank building. Could you imagine if that building were standing today though and someone wanted to knock it down. There would be a huge public outcry for such blasphemy against architecture. I just cant imagine the people back then not caring about the destruction of such a building.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
huh. i've never seen this building before. what is it? and what corner is that?

edit: oops, never mind...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
we need more buildings of this style of scale at major intersections
isn't that great? you have the row houses on the neighborhood street, on modest sized retailers on the major street... the corner just lends itself to the two being married as such.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I just can never understand though the mentality in the 30s-70s of, lets destroy everthing beautiful for no reason and replace it with a craptastic highway, parking lot, or an architecturally devoid bank building. Could you imagine if that building were standing today though and someone wanted to knock it down. There would be a huge public outcry for such blasphemy against architecture. I just cant imagine the people back then not caring about the destruction of such a building.
umm, major public outcry? wonderful buildings are torn down all the time, and no-one seems to care... or notice. remember the old dana hotel? yeah, i didn't think so... people throughout time are all the same: profitability is the only thing of any matter. don't you listen to rap music: it's all about the Benjamin's.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
huh... chicago: architectural mecca. that picture is a beautifully representation of this city's architectural history and progress.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:30 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Chicago had at least 8 or 9 neighborhood buildings like that at one time. I keep a running list since it is sad and curious also that they are all gone now. I think part of this is that many did not have elevators, and Chicago is not a city where people are used to walkups greater than 4 stories in height.
You got the intersections or photos of them by any chance Honte?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:45 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
umm, major public outcry? wonderful buildings are torn down all the time, and no-one seems to care... or notice. remember the old dana hotel? yeah, i didn't think so... people throughout time are all the same: profitability is the only thing of any matter. don't you listen to rap music: it's all about the Benjamin's.
I know this but this building is in a very prominent location and was probably a well known icon in that neighborhood. Of course plenty of beautiful historic buildings keep on getting destroyed but this one was in a very noticeable location. So it would seem that people would not want to see it go.

Alls that I know is that if a building like that were getting torn down and I knew about it, I would be all up in arms.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:19 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
You got the intersections or photos of them by any chance Honte?
Yeah, I'll dig some up for you if I can find time. Two that come to mind were Milwaukee / Chicago (NE corner) and Blue Island / Roosevelt (SW corner). South Side had several too, mostly along Cottage Grove.

Most weren't quite as grand as the "Turtle Wax" building.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:35 AM

Fullerton/Lincoln also comes to mind

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 7:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
I doubt that fire codes would accommodate the construction of such buildings today. Between a primary elevator and some auxiliary fire stairs, there'd be no room to occupy.

It's a shame, too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 8:24 AM

Meanwhile, back in the future, a parking lot continues to disappear: Friedman's garage across from 353 Clark has a colorful new barricade, and will call itself "Greenway Self Park". Looks like their logo is an image of a VW Beetle spewing green leaves as its exhaust. What, are they going to be prohibiting combustion engine vehicles? (Hmm, maybe they can just include a carbon credit offset in the parking fee..)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development