HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Only because you can not be open enough with your own viewpoints.
It's not that I 'can not be open enough' to dwell on old reports about long term ridership decline or to doom loop the Metro, it's that I am not interested in wasting my precious time doing so. Sue me.

Quote:
Those who ignore real facts from real reports and only wish to look at short term positive facts while ignoring long term facts and trends are selling themselves short.
You are confusing being 'ignored' with simply being one among many posters in this thread. Get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I don't know the details of the Highland Park Station stabbing, but this most recent incident and the one in Hawthorne on a C Line Station was the result of fights breaking out between the assailant and victim.

I don't know the details and I'm not blaming the victim or excusing the behavior, but it's always best not to engage with or argue with obviously crazy people. I've endured being called a ch*nk and other Asian racist insults for about 5 minutes by someone who was obviously a crazy homeless person, but I just let it roll off my back and pretended he wasn't even there.
Yeah, the first time I took Metro since moving back, my husband and I had to tolerate a trashy woman repeatedly referencing us and telling her trashy male fans that she don't like gays, yo. We were concerned one of them might try to impress her by gay-bashing us. We held our tongues, but didn't get back on the subway for another five months.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 6:47 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
It was reported to be an argument not a fight although I don't know what happened.

In my opinion you were engaged with that person even if it were one-sided. The fact that you ignored them may have kept it from escalating or maybe it prolonged it. No way to know for sure although I'd agree with you and guess the latter.

Update: LAPD now reports that the fatal stabbing was unprovoked. https://www.lapdonline.org/newsroom/...les-nr23672jc/
That is really sad. All the recent good news now this string of violence and in this incident completely unprovoked. I hope they catch this guy soon.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
That is really sad. All the recent good news now this string of violence and in this incident completely unprovoked. I hope they catch this guy soon.
Good news on that front:

Suspect arrested in fatal downtown L.A. Metro stabbing
by: Josh DuBose

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/sus...etro-stabbing/

Quote:
Authorities with the Los Angeles Police Department announced the arrest of a suspect in connection with the fatal stabbing of a 23-year-old man on a Metro train late last week.

On Sept. 8, police released a photo of the suspect, now identified as 31-year-old Randy Nash.

According to police, the suspect approached the victim on the train and “without warning or provocation” allegedly stabbed him in the upper torso and then fled the station on foot.

Nash was arrested on Sept. 9 just after 9 p.m. in the 1000 block of West 85th Street, in the L.A. neighborhood of Vermont Knolls. He was booked on suspicion of murder and is being held on $2 million bail, police said.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 10:19 PM

I'm sure Metro address these latest stabbings by adding some more 'ambassadors' who are unarmed and unable to really do anything.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 4:12 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Glad they caught this guy. So there were previous stabbings on the Red Line at Hollywood Western and MacArthur Park and Long Beach stations too in the last 6 months. Did they catch the perp in those stabbings? If not I wonder if the guy they just caught was responsible for all of them?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 3:42 PM
你的媽媽

Facepalm.

Quote:
numble
@numble
Beverly Hills is planning to continue its annual tradition of denying LA Metro’s request to do D Line construction work on city streets between Thanksgiving and New Year, which results in construction delays and millions in extra costs to Metro.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 9:58 PM

Took Metro for the first time this weekend since pre-COVID so it was a good opportunity to see the condition of the system for myself. Boarded the E Line at La Cienega and took it to Expo Park to check out the Mayan exhibit at the California Science Center. Immediately noticed the presence of the Metro Ambassadors as there were two present at La Cienega station. One of the Ambassadors approached us to make friendly conversation and even though they aren't necessarily security... it is nice having them around. Train to Expo Park was clean, quiet, and overall a pleasant experience. On the ride, definitely noticed a heightened presence of law enforcement at several of the stations we passed by.

Next, we took the E Line from Expo Park to Pico station. Again, train was clean... though on this ride there was an argumentative person on the train getting loud with another passenger that was trying to just be left alone. Hit several lights that slowed the ride down in this segment... made all the more painful since I wanted to get off the train before a potential incident broke out since the argumentative person go louder as time passed. Was just thankful I wasn't the target of their shouting. Downtown LA was rougher than I anticipated, which was disappointing... but this is a transportation thread so I'll just leave it at that.

Lastly, we took the E Line from 7th/Metro back to La Cienega station. There were a bunch of Ambassadors at that station, as well as janitors actively cleaning the station which was nice to see. While we were waiting, we heard an announcement for security to come to the subway platform as an arriving train had an incident in progress . Once our train arrived... again it was clean and we had an uneventful ride back.

Overall, I was impressed with the cleanliness of the stations and trains... and it was very evident that Metro is really trying to improve the experience with the Ambassadors all over the system as well as the enhanced security. I rode on mid-day Friday and ridership seemed steady, but not overly heavy. It seems there are still issues with train safety but I have a feeling those will be resolved by the time the World Cup arrives in 2026. E Line headways were about 10 minutes between trains.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Took Metro for the first time this weekend since pre-COVID so it was a good opportunity to see the condition of the system for myself. Boarded the E Line at La Cienega and took it to Expo Park to check out the Mayan exhibit at the California Science Center. Immediately noticed the presence of the Metro Ambassadors as there were two present at La Cienega station. One of the Ambassadors approached us to make friendly conversation and even though they aren't necessarily security... it is nice having them around. Train to Expo Park was clean, quiet, and overall a pleasant experience. On the ride, definitely noticed a heightened presence of law enforcement at several of the stations we passed by.

Next, we took the E Line from Expo Park to Pico station. Again, train was clean... though on this ride there was an argumentative person on the train getting loud with another passenger that was trying to just be left alone. Hit several lights that slowed the ride down in this segment... made all the more painful since I wanted to get off the train before a potential incident broke out since the argumentative person go louder as time passed. Was just thankful I wasn't the target of their shouting. Downtown LA was rougher than I anticipated, which was disappointing... but this is a transportation thread so I'll just leave it at that.

Lastly, we took the E Line from 7th/Metro back to La Cienega station. There were a bunch of Ambassadors at that station, as well as janitors actively cleaning the station which was nice to see. While we were waiting, we heard an announcement for security to come to the subway platform as an arriving train had an incident in progress . Once our train arrived... again it was clean and we had an uneventful ride back.

Overall, I was impressed with the cleanliness of the stations and trains... and it was very evident that Metro is really trying to improve the experience with the Ambassadors all over the system as well as the enhanced security. I rode on mid-day Friday and ridership seemed steady, but not overly heavy. It seems there are still issues with train safety but I have a feeling those will be resolved by the time the World Cup arrives in 2026. E Line headways were about 10 minutes between trains.
Unless Metro and LADOT deal with trains hitting red lights like you mentioned in your story, 10 minute headways are going to lead to major bunching and unreliable service now that the regional connector is open. It's pretty shameful that Metro and LADOT haven't figured out this issue more than a decade after the line opened. Our leaders aren't serious people.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 5:34 AM

Update on Delta Skyway at LAX

Delta opened the post security front entrance to what used to be T2 but is now Concourse 2?? It looks like a Star Trek or something space age, like how airports used to be designed. They still do not know (or have yet to announce) what they will do with the now defunct T2 security area (behind me from where I'm standing in the picture). I say remove the Sea Legs restaurant for much needed seating and add a grand focal point central window at the end of the terminal like in T3, the replaced restaurant can be in the now defunct security area pictured below.

Previous look of T2 entrance (old)

^^The old T2 security area on top of the stairs. The stairs have been removed and just after the old security area is a wall which blocks this space off from the new area shown in the first picture

I also walked through the T3-T1 head house connection which is just right of this picture and the brand new T3-Bradley connector. All of LAX is accessible to walk through post security which hasn't been possible since the airport opened!!! Very cool

I have a flight next week on United and at the end of the month on American and can get updates on their T4/T5 reconstruction. I will walk the T4-Bradley-T3 walk if I create enough time. Exciting stuff

Last edited by hughfb3; Oct 13, 2023 at 7:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 7:51 PM

contractor for phase three of METRO D line is saying they are behind Olympics timeline. Meaning they might not make it by 2028. They want more money to catch up.

SMH

Tunneling took to long. 5 months more than scheduled.

https://twitter.com/numble/status/1713262646416617799

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Overall, I was impressed with the cleanliness of the stations and trains... and it was very evident that Metro is really trying to improve the experience with the Ambassadors all over the system as well as the enhanced security. I rode on mid-day Friday and ridership seemed steady, but not overly heavy. It seems there are still issues with train safety but I have a feeling those will be resolved by the time the World Cup arrives in 2026.
Good to know, but no less will do.

When I see what's going on in this other city, I'm both more exasperated with LA, but also realize it's another victim of "welcome to the club".

https://youtu.be/CcOFmuLyPqQ?si=jmIQ3md007wUrAKm

The jammed fwys of LA always make me wonder just how many ppl on them can, or should, work closer to where they're driving or live closer to where they're driving. But if the antithesis of LA still shows plenty of ppl tooling around in cars....even though they have fantastic public transit & way more user friendly hoods than LA does....LA ain't got a prayer. It means ppl in LA really need to up their game. They have to become way more demanding about what standards the city is following. Also, good transit or not, crowded fwys or not, unsafe-dirty sidewalks or not, LA residents need to do a lot more to make their areas look clean & attractive.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 12:20 AM

19-mile busway from Pomona to Rancho Cucamonga now under construction

Juarez Image
KABC
October 15, 2023

Construction on the West Valley Connector Project in Ontario is officially underway.

The first phase of the project calls for 19 miles of dedicated bus-only lanes from the Pomona Regional Transit Center to Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga with 21 stations along the route.

"Ultimately, the streamline travel experience will provide access to major activity centers like the airport and the convention center as well as Ontario Mills and Victoria Gardens," said Dawn Rowe, President San Bernardino County Transportation Authority and San Bernardino County Board of Supervisor Chair.

The $310 million price tag is funded with federal, state, and local Measure I monies. The new line is meant to provide motorists with an alternative to sitting in traffic with transit signal priority that will allow buses to avoid congestion.

"To make transit work, you need connectivity between different modes, and you are going to see that demonstrated here between bus, rail, the airport and all other means," said Alan Wapner, president of the Ontario International Airport Authority.

The West Valley Connector will be San Bernardino County's second rapid bus line. As part of the county's zero emissions initiative, buses will operate on batteries.

"You'll be able to go from Victoria Gardens all the way to the Pomona Transit system, get off the Purple Line, get on the Silver Stream on that BRT... continue on to Downtown Los Angeles," said John Dutrey with Omnitrans.

The second phase will eventually connect Haven Avenue to Kaiser Permanent Medical Center in Fontana. But officials are already looking to connect to points beyond.

"We are determined to bring the Brightline to San Bernardino County and that is the high-speed train that will take you to Las Vegas," said Dutry. "So, you'll be able to get on the Purple Line, go to the Cucamonga Station, go to Las Vegas or vice versa (and) come back."

Construction will wrap up and service will begin on the West Valley Connector in the Spring of 2026.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 5:04 AM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 7:56 PM

More people are taking Metro. Ridership in September rose 10% compared to last year, agency says

Long Beach Post
October 19, 2023

Ridership across Metro’s transportation system rose by 10% in September 2023 compared to the same month last year, the agency announced today.

The agency attributed the increase to its efforts to improve public safety and a surge in back-to-school riders.

Metro reported more than 24.5 billion boardings in September 2023, signifying the 10th consecutive month of year-over-year ridership growth. According to the agency, monthly bus and rail ridership is at nearly 80% of its 2019 pre-pandemic levels.

Average weekend ridership is at 91% of pre-pandemic (September 2019) levels, and average weekday ridership sits at 77%.

The agency cited its focus on safety, and the resulting 53% decrease in crime across its system since April, as a driving factor for increased ridership, along with improved reliability and frequency of service.

In September, Metro had 24,671,730 boardings on its bus and rail systems. An average of 938,167 rides were taken each weekday, the first time since February 2020 that weekday ridership surpassed 900,000 boardings.

Saturday boardings averaged 637,957 and Sunday boardings averaged 543,721. Post-pandemic ridership recovery continues to be strongest on the weekends, with average boardings on Saturdays reaching 86% of its pre-pandemic levels and average boardings on Sundays reaching 92% of its pre-pandemic levels.

Metro also noted that September marked the third full month of operation for the newly reconfigured A and E lines, as a result of the RegionalConnector project. The Regional Connector consolidated three of Metro’s legacy rail lines—A (Blue), E (Expo) and L (Gold) lines, into two: the A Line, serving customers from Azusa to Long Beach; and the E Line, serving customers from East L.A. to Santa Monica.

The project also opened three new stations in downtown L.A.

During the month of September, ridership on the A and E lines was 23% higher than the combined ridership on the A, E and L lines on weekdays compared to September 2022, according to Metro.

Ridership on the weekends for the A and E lines rose by 33% in September 2023 as well, compared to ridership for the A, E and L lines in September 2022.

Additionally, Metro reported bus ridership saw an 11% year-over-year increase. More than 19.5 million rides were taken on Metro buses, with total bus ridership in September 2023 at 81% of its pre-pandemic levels.

Average weekday bus ridership increased by 50,000 riders in September 2023 over August, with data showing more than 750,000 average weekday ridership.

The agency highlighted its GoPass pilot program, now in its third year, as another factor for an increase in September ridership. The program offers free transit passes to K-12 and community college students in participating schools.

More than 1.6 million student boardings were reported in September, a 23% year-over-year increase over September 2022, which saw 1.3 million boardings.

GoPass boardings in September rose by 103% compared to August GoPassboardings, which saw 801,163 student boardings.

Metro reported about 1,458,992 student bus boardings and 164,806 student rail boardings in September.

To date, about 345,907 students from 1,537 participating schools—in 110 school districts—are registered with GoPass.

Since the launch of the program in October 2021, there have been more than 25 million boardings by students using the program, according to Metro.

The agency also provides accessible and affordable transit through its pass program Low-Income Fare is Easy. The LIFE program helps qualifying L.A. County residents save money by providing free rides or “deeply” discounted fares on some of the agency’s transit systems.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 10:59 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Good to know, but no less will do.

When I see what's going on in this other city, I'm both more exasperated with LA, but also realize it's another victim of "welcome to the club".

https://youtu.be/CcOFmuLyPqQ?si=jmIQ3md007wUrAKm

The jammed fwys of LA always make me wonder just how many ppl on them can, or should, work closer to where they're driving or live closer to where they're driving. But if the antithesis of LA still shows plenty of ppl tooling around in cars....even though they have fantastic public transit & way more user friendly hoods than LA does....LA ain't got a prayer. It means ppl in LA really need to up their game. They have to become way more demanding about what standards the city is following. Also, good transit or not, crowded fwys or not, unsafe-dirty sidewalks or not, LA residents need to do a lot more to make their areas look clean & attractive.

Video Link
I have no idea why that subway stop was not on 2nd and Grand. I utilized this stop and experienced the same issue. Of course if you want to go to the institutions on Grand Street there really is no reason why you wouldn't want to utilize this stop.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 2:33 AM

Dang! 24.5 billion boardings! Maybe the newspaper can get an intern to proofread this.

"Metro reported more than 24.5 billion boardings"

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 5:31 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Dang! 24.5 billion boardings! Maybe the newspaper can get an intern to proofread this.

"Metro reported more than 24.5 billion boardings"
"In September, Metro had 24,671,730 boardings on its bus and rail systems." That's 24 Million boardings in September, not 24 Billion boardings.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
"In September, Metro had 24,671,730 boardings on its bus and rail systems." That's 24 Million boardings in September, not 24 Billion boardings.
Yes, which I suggested was a typo.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:12 AM

I posted in the dtla compilations thread a vid that shows a crowded 110 fwy going by the metropolis devlpt. I wondered why dtla's sidewalks are often free of ppl while the fwys (& ppl in their cars) around dt are not. Although I dislike various ppl all loading up roads & fwys in LA, & clogging them instead of using public transit, if this program is ever tried in socal....for hoods like dtla....it probably will cause LA to become like it was during covid....

https://youtu.be/cjG_8zFVFAw?si=zG-3Azs8oyqbhzu9

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 7:16 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble
October 2023 LA Metro presentation on Sepulveda Transit Corridor. Monorail options have 21k-57k fewer riders, are 8-14 minutes slower, and have longer travel times when connecting to other lines. Heavy rail options 4-5 have ~15k more riders than option 6.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4qdl26t...nav_tracking=1
https://twitter.com/numble/status/1717246984812220909

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation