HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:05 PM

Looks like Air Asia are making plans to expand to North America, including YVR via NRT and YYZ via somewhere in Europe...evidently taking advantage of 5th freedoms.

No timelines as to when this will happen.

https://en.traicy.com/posts/202402224926/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:58 PM

Well, NRT-YVR from that map would most likely operate by AirAsia Japan, not sure about LHR-YYZ... same plane to operate BKK-LHR-YYZ?

NRT is quickly becoming a LCC airport. Maybe AC and JL desperately need some slots to move their service to HND...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 9:07 PM
The New Republic

The map suggests the Toronto flight stops over in Paris/London while Miami gets a direct flight.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:12 AM

As per memo to employees, Lynx filed for creditor protection today

They will cease operations on Sunday.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:28 AM

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss View Post

Not a surprise. When does Flair go down....?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:54 AM
菠蘿油

Is this a real memo? So far no media are reporting this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:55 AM

Of course, they are still taking bookings on their website. Dirtbags.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 12:56 AM
菠蘿油

Unless it's a hoax. The memo references "today's announcement" and yet there has been no announcement.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Unless it's a hoax. The memo references "today's announcement" and yet there has been no announcement.
It is kind of weird this is their latest tweet just a day ago:

Lynx Air
@Lynx_Air
Office views ✈️
DYK: We're hiring! Head over to http://FlyLynx.com and let your career take flight with Lynx. #FlyLynx

https://twitter.com/Lynx_Air/status/1760472759996674387

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:10 AM

Press release:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...rotection.html

Quote:
Lynx Air Files for and Obtains CCAA Creditor Protection
Calgary-based low-cost airline will cease operations effective February 26
February 22, 2024 20:00 ET
| Source: Lynx Air

CALGARY, Alberta, Feb. 22, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Lynx Air (Lynx), a low-cost airline with service to destinations throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, today announced that it has sought and obtained an initial order for creditor protection from the Court of King’s Bench of Alberta under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (“CCAA”).

Over the past year, Lynx Air, has faced a number of significant headwinds including rising operating costs, high fuel prices, exchange rates, increasing airport charges and a difficult economic and regulatory environment.

Operating as an ultra low-cost carrier, Lynx launched its inaugural flight in April 2022, growing its fleet and number of destinations while doubling its volume of passengers over the past two years. However, despite substantial growth in the business, ongoing operational improvements, cost reductions and efforts to explore a sale or merger, the challenges facing the company's business have become too significant to overcome.

In connection with the commencement of proceedings, Lynx Air has made the decision to cease operations effective 12:01 a.m. MT on Monday, February 26, 2024, with flights continuing to operate until that time.

Every effort is being made to assist passengers at this time. Passengers with existing bookings are advised to contact their credit card company to secure refunds for pre-booked travel. Additional information for Lynx customers is available at this Frequently Asked Questions page (https://www.flylynx.com/en/faq-lynx).

Lynx would like to extend sincere gratitude to its loyal customers, dedicated employees and business partners for their commitment and dedication to the company.

Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP are acting as legal advisors to Lynx Air. FTI Consulting Canada Inc. was appointed as the CCAA Monitor (“the Monitor”). Additional information related to the CCAA proceedings will be available on the Monitor's case website at: http://cfcanada.fticonsulting.com/lynxair.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:13 AM

Delete

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Of course, they are still taking bookings on their website. Dirtbags.
If you try and booking anything all flights show sold out. So they are not taking bookings.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn View Post
If you try and booking anything all flights show sold out. So they are not taking bookings.
Official, on the it website it says ops ending Sunday.

Looks like the flair/lynx merger were too risky for flair to pull the trigger on. And flair loves taking stupid risks.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn View Post
They were until 25 minutes ago. Hours after they made this decision. Wonder how much more money they managed to screw people out of in that time? I know the people will get it back from their credit cards, eventually. Will be a hardship for many though, who may have booked travel several months down the road and will likely have to wait until after those dates to get credit card refunds and in the meantime, need to outlay that again to buy the flights with someone else, likely at now an even higher fare than earlier today.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss View Post

I wouldn't want to be somebody on vacation in Cancun right now looking at having to spend thousands of dollars on last minutes flights with another carrier.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRT_BMT_IND View Post
I wouldn't want to be somebody on vacation in Cancun right now looking at having to spend thousands of dollars on last minutes flights with another carrier.
Well the good news is that their loads were crap.
Bad news, they are shutting down at the very end of the University/College reading week.

I have family who flew out west for the weekend and I booked them on Flair back in january. They asked why not Lynx, my reasoning is because I was skeptical based on their crappy loads.

Media outlets are starting to pick up the story. I'm sure it'll be a big fuss tomorrow. I think its nice of them to continue flying until Sunday instead of wrapping ops up at midnight tonight. It would definitely be much more chaotic if that were the case.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Well the good news is that their loads were crap.
Bad news, they are shutting down at the very end of the University/College reading week.

I have family who flew out west for the weekend and I booked them on Flair back in january. They asked why not Lynx, my reasoning is because I was skeptical based on their crappy loads.

Media outlets are starting to pick up the story. I'm sure it'll be a big fuss tomorrow. I think its nice of them to continue flying until Sunday instead of wrapping ops up at midnight tonight. It would definitely be much more chaotic if that were the case.
Yeah, I'm not sure Flair is that much better:

Flair cancels flight and refuses to rebook BC student on competitor
Megan Devlin
Feb 21 2024

A student from Abbotsford, BC, had a rough time flying home for reading break this weekend when Flair cancelled her flight at the last minute and refused to rebook her on a competitor’s route leaving the same day.

Jessica Quiring told Daily Hive she arrived at the Calgary airport around 12:30 pm Sunday but didn’t see her flight on the board. She went to the Flair counter to ask what gate she should proceed to and saw a crowd of customers.

“They’re telling us that our flight is cancelled. That it’s not coming. And we’re confused because we haven’t gotten any communication — any email about it,” she said...

....Then, about half an hour before the flight was supposed to take off, Quiring finally got Flair’s cancellation email. But the next available flight wasn’t until Tuesday — and she was supposed to be home Sunday.

After an hour on hold with Flair, a telephone agent told Quiring there was nothing the airline could do. That was despite Quiring reading out Canada’s Air Passenger Protection Regulations stating large carriers are obligated to rebook customers on the next available flight with which it has a commercial agreement....

https://dailyhive.com/canada/flair-c...ent-competitor

How ironic she was rescued by Lynx.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Official, on the it website it says ops ending Sunday.

Looks like the flair/lynx merger were too risky for flair to pull the trigger on. And flair loves taking stupid risks.
Flair wouldn't or couldn't...?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Flair wouldn't or couldn't...?
Flair couwouldnt!

As posted on another forum, here is the link to creditors arrangement act filed by Lynx. http://cfcanada.fticonsulting.com/ly...22,%202024.pdf

Lynx was receiving default notices from both the GTAA, Delta, and Montreal aero this week, allowing these companies to seize Lynx assets as of this weekend. "Flair Transaction" was listed several times throughout this file, but I don't think Flair wanted to put on debt that looks like is worse then theirs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada