HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 3:02 AM

This project is hilarious, I can’t even

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 3:18 PM

I am so glad that in today's world full of bad news that this simple forum can bring laughter and joy to some people. I hope other people can share in their enjoyment also and share some of their cities entertaining projects.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 6:00 PM

I noticed they were clogging up 25th St. yesterday with a bunch of semi's with dump trailers. Couldn't tell if they were dropping material off or hauling it away, but it's crazy that they were there at this point in the build either way. Would be interested to see if the hole under the building has been filled or not yet.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Be my guest to kickstart the conversation with something other than braying demands
(I did my best a couple pages ago: wish I could do more, obviously...).

Well, it worked! Thanks CanadianDriverYXE for going above and beyond your call of duty. That pic tells a lot, shows a lot, about how the floor plates at least are in place and a bit of work has been done southerly. Cheers!

Still, there isn't a picture from how it's showing on the skyline, from anyone else.

To all, I hope we can become a better unit of info and discussion on Saskatoon. We've lost so many good forumers in the last few years. It's like everybody checks but nobody posts. There are no rumours, no ideas being tossed around.

And especially no pictures being shared. NO PICTURES! That's where my frustration comes from. Everyone is posting pictures ten times a day on their social media and no-one has pictures of Saskatoon developments? Regina has posted 1000 pics of the development of an overpass in the sticks. (Never mind. That's obviously ridiculous;>)

That's why this is Saskatoon. I've lived here long enough. The lethargy is driving me like a sloth on my shoulders down to the ground where a python is waiting....and winter is coming.

NOoooooooo!

Last edited by Saskabusher; Oct 21, 2023 at 9:23 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 2:35 PM

They obviously are trying to create a fast and efficient (cheap) way of building high-rises, and we know Saskatoon is Baydo's HQ, so ripe for their trials, but WTF? How can they be this far off projections? Wait a minute- what are their projections? They've changed. What are they now? I'll start by asking them....

Last edited by Saskabusher; Oct 21, 2023 at 9:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
They obviously are trying to create a fast and efficient (cheap) way of building high-rises
I'm looking forward to a B1M YouTube video on "This new construction method is changing how high-rises are built, and it's happening where you'd least expect."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 5:31 PM

It's crazy! They don't seem to make concrete perimeter walls. And their beams and posts, I'd say are far thinner than I've seen used on 20 plus storey buildings. How their math passed the inspections is an interesting avenue to ponder....

Last edited by Saskabusher; Oct 19, 2023 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 6:22 PM
Has been

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 5:11 AM

They are going with an elevator shaft as a core instead of shear walls, not that uncommon as you can slip form the shaft instead of building conventional formwork.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 9:56 AM

^^Right, that's standard for a steel frame, building out from a concrete core, but have you noticed from the beginning how that concrete core is pieced together? And by the perimeter walls, I meant foundation-wise. They had some weird cast brick system they used on Broadway, but I don't think it would work here. I've tried to see down the hole. All I saw was dirt walls.... Interesting. Although it almost seems experimental, it does plod along. As long as time isn't money- Doh!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:44 PM

I agree Time is money when you look at other projects like this one in Toronto.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/toronto-...ship-1.1987048

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 8:47 PM

Does anyone know how much higher it going to go? It has to be close to topped out?

Also, Baydo is obviously working at a snail's pace on this. But that said, they can sure pump out 6 storey rentals in Evergreen. I was by there recently and if my eyes didn't play tricks on me they are working on their 5th unit now. Not sure when they started the 1st but I don't think it was all that long ago.

Obviously very different builds, but the company clearly can move projects along with some urgency every now and then.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 9:40 PM

I would say steel is up to level 18? So at least 7 more to go?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 10:56 PM

Construction Update October 22, 2023

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 5:05 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the update and perspectives CanadianDriverYXE! It's really showing up now. It'll sit between the height of The View and Hallmark Place, so maybe about 75metres? Anyway, with another tower to come and this one pushing north, I love the added density to our city.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:14 PM

It's interesting to note that there has been plenty of criticism of the look of this development, primarily on the "tiny" windows, when compared to some of the mid-rise & high-rise residential towers that utilize a window wall system to provide a envelope that is largely glass.

The 2020 National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) is set to be adopted by all provinces in 2024. Saskatchewan is supposed to adopt it January 1st, but I've heard rumblings that date may slip. One of the consequences of the adoption of this new code is that the amount of glass used in building envelopes will be reduced significantly. Extremely high performance glazing systems, which come with a matching extremely high cost, will be required in order to provide the "glass box" look that has been so highly desired over the past few decades. So, like it or not, the look of the Baydo Towers envelope is likely going to be typical of most new residential developments.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:52 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
It's interesting to note that there has been plenty of criticism of the look of this development, primarily on the "tiny" windows, when compared to some of the mid-rise & high-rise residential towers that utilize a window wall system to provide a envelope that is largely glass.

The 2020 National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) is set to be adopted by all provinces in 2024. Saskatchewan is supposed to adopt it January 1st, but I've heard rumblings that date may slip. One of the consequences of the adoption of this new code is that the amount of glass used in building envelopes will be reduced significantly. Extremely high performance glazing systems, which come with a matching extremely high cost, will be required in order to provide the "glass box" look that has been so highly desired over the past few decades. So, like it or not, the look of the Baydo Towers envelope is likely going to be typical of most new residential developments.
Glass facades have never been great for energy efficiency, which is why you typically only see them on luxury condo developments or office towers. Weather also plays a big part, which is why Miami or Vancouver have relatively more glass than NYC or Toronto. But that being said, most purpose built rentals even in the most amenable climates have less glass than condos or office towers.

Considering that Baydo doesn't build top of the market buildings (larger glass panes are more expensive to buy and more difficult to install) and that this is a purpose built rental building aimed at students and other potential residents with less purchasing power (the monthly power bill will be much lower compared to if there was 50% more glass), I don't think anyone should be surprised at the built form.

This lot was a surface parking lot just a few years ago. The future residents will be a godsend for a number of nearby downtown businesses. This tower will inevitably house a lot of UofS students and city hospital staff who will now be walking or taking transit to school/work instead of driving in from a basement suite in Stonebridge. This construction project may be a joke, but the end result will be great for the city. And suburbanites laughing at Baydo's incompetence should be thanking their lucky stars that in a couple years yet another high density, mixed-use downtown development will be subsidizing their way of life for years to come.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:19 PM

Great comments, guys. And with the Sask Poly campus moving, while new housing is being built in the vicinity, reminds me of the Broadway Extra Foods folding just as two new high rise residential buildings open beside it. I bet the campus, if it went north-industrial like we just mentioned in the main thread, it could have negotiated with Baydo to make the south tower here a student friendly/dorm like arrangement for a win-win situation.
Just pissing in the wind.... Nothing's a given.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:29 PM

Except you're gonna drive. You have to.

So the risk goes up immediately that someone is drunk.

We've got the worst stats in NA. In Saskatoon. I'm disgusted by this. But it's for another thread. Live close to your work and play, and have a far better life. I'm seriously considering moving downtown. A condo I stayed at is less than $300000 with two bedrooms. Great view. Quiet, friendly and convenient. And I work from home. Bingo! I love walking across the University Bridge over to the Broadway Bridge and back. Amazing views, food, people, pubs, shops, Everything. These new Baydo buildings will add to security and opportunities. I can't wait:>)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
I would say steel is up to level 18? So at least 7 more to go?
The top of the posts now is the 20th floor, so they'll add one more set of posts, which is four floors, to bring it to 24, and then make some mish-mash and top it out. It doesn't look like they have a mechanical penthouse, it's just part of the build within the 25th floor/ part. It'll be interesting to see....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan