HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 3:35 AM

Wasn't the plan a few years ago to knock down some historic (-ish?) housing - The Stratford, maybe? - and build a brand new business school there?

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Wasn't the plan a few years ago to knock down some historic (-ish?) housing - The Stratford, maybe? - and build a brand new business school there?
Yep, the discussion here of the business school started on post 49 of this thread. Not sure what happened to the old plans.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 7:53 PM

Some pics from the article ... I guess the bldg on the right is the new addition, and a new plaza in front? I don't know what's there now. Looks good though.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 7:48 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

On the corner there is a half-plaza with cherry trees that bloom in the spring. Many students use it during the warmer months.

The rest of the site is a grassy lot with a few funky evergreen trees right now. Totally unused, nobody ever goes into the space. Kind of a weird landscape stuck in the city - does not fit at all! The street is "electric avenue" where people plug in their electric cars for a free charge. Its dominated by that hideous elevated walkway.

This is a much-needed project. Right now the sidewalk is insufficient for the pedestrian traffic and people have to walk in the mud from the transit station.

*edit*

Oh, they're doing the biz school expansion HERE? Thats great news! Makes 1000% more sense than placing it halfway across campus. So many students get stuck slogging down to Unitus, plus the new OSU/OHSU/PSU building down at SOWA is a good 15 minute streetcar ride... ugh.

I somehow got around the paywall.

Quote:
The renovations will include the addition of numerous meeting rooms in order to increase collaboration between students and faculty. It will also transform a building that looks like the Chernobyl sarcophagus into an inviting and light-filled space.
rofl!

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Yep, the discussion here of the business school started on post 49 of this thread. Not sure what happened to the old plans.
The new building that would have demolished the old apartment block cost more than they could raise funds for. The renovation is significantly less expensive.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
The new building that would have demolished the old apartment block cost more than they could raise funds for. The renovation is significantly less expensive.
Yeah, Wim Wiewel discusses that in an article in the PBJ today. He's a smart guy!

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...s-tuition.html

Quote:
PBJ: Describe the project?

Wiewel: It’s not a Taj Majal. We’re not building something super fancy. Some universities are investing in gilt-edged buildings. We don’t do that. But we will be building highly functional, aesthetically pleasing, interesting buildings.

PBJ: How has the project changed since it was conceived?

Wiewel: At one time we were thinking of building a new building on the Park Blocks. I wasn’t sure that was the most cost-effective approach because then we’d be left with an old facility right here.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 11:47 PM

Student Housing:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:14 PM

Jun 20, 2013, 10:28am PDT
Hidden in plain sight: PSU eyes hotel for redevelopment
Wendy Culverwell
Real Estate Daily editor- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1371751562

Quote:
University Place Hotel likely has a date with a wrecking ball — some day — as Portland State University moves to redevelop the four-acre site to better suit its purposes.

PSU selected Johnson-Reid, a Portland real estate and land use consulting firm, to develop a best-use plan for the hotel property, 310 S.W. Lincoln St. PSU bought the 235-room former Red Lion Hotel from the Portland Development Commission for $23 million in 2004 to secure the hotel and surrounding land for future development.

Trimet, which is constructing a Max station for its Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Line directly across from the hotel entrance, is funding the $150,000 study.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 3:31 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Jun 20, 2013, 10:28am PDT
Hidden in plain sight: PSU eyes hotel for redevelopment
Wendy Culverwell
Real Estate Daily editor- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1371751562
It is just a matter of time before that area was redeveloped, it was a good purchase for the school back when they did it. I am curious what will eventually go there as PSU becomes the entire southern end of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 8:00 PM

Student Housing Update:

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 9:27 PM

Oregon Senate approves $1 billion in new state construction
By Christian Gaston, The Oregonian
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 08, 2013 at 11:15 AM, updated July 08, 2013 at 11:47 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...incart_m-rpt-2

Quote:
SALEM -- The Oregon Senate approved a series of bills that extend roughly $1 billion in new bonding authority for state and local agencies Monday, with the House expected to take up the measures later today.

Here's a list of the projects included in the bonding package, which is contained in Senate Bills 5507, 5506 and 5533.

Oregon University System Projects Funded - Project Amount

PSU - Land Acquisition - 10,000,000
PSU - School of Business - 10,000,000
PSU - School of Business - 30,000,000
PSU - Stott Center Renovations and Deferred Maint. - 2,000,000
PSU - Stott Center Renovations and Deferred Maint. - 20,000,000
PSU - Stott Center Renovations and Deferred Maint. - 2,000,000

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:58 AM
A before E

wow, that apartment building on 5th looks huge in that location. It is great to finally see it being built....though I wish I could of watched it go up when I lived a few blocks from there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 4:24 AM

crane came down this weekend.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 2:04 PM

Where is the PSU School of business going to be? At first I know it was looking to replace a very cool historic building, but I had heard they changed the location. Which would be ideal. Incredibly frustrating to see new buildings replacing already quality build environment rather than underutilized properties.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 2:32 PM

It'll be on the grassy half of the block where the current business school sits.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:47 AM

Student Housing:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:19 PM

And there I didn't think it was possible to design a building worse than University Pointe across the street. I was wrong.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:48 PM

I like the density, if nothing else. It also looks like they designed the back end of the building with the idea that something bigger will eventually go in behind it.

I'm also a fan of the juxtaposition of the the old, rickety Alexandria restaurant and the newer urban fabric looming behind it.

Last edited by philopdx; Aug 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
I like the density, if nothing else. It also looks like they designed the back end of the building with the idea that something bigger will eventually go in behind it.

I'm also a fan of the juxtaposition of the the old, rickety Alexandria restaurant and the newer urban fabric looming behind it.
It all does come together in a way that might allow more density in the future, while maybe saving some parts of the past of these neighborhoods. I'd love to see less full-block buildings in Portland.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 9:03 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

New PSU building - it looks pretty close to being finished now. Exterior enclosure looks almost done except for the bottom floor and penthouse mechanical room on top. The building, while a bit odd, really helps to fill out that part of downtown. Hopefully we will see some more activity in the area in the future. Maybe after PSU finishes their Lincoln Hall project and builds a new Smith Center & Business school expansion!

Last edited by zilfondel; Oct 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland