HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 12:42 AM

Project update from halifax.ca/cogswell

Summer 2022

Last updated: September 13

Crews continue to remove or relocate existing underground services, install new underground services, modify grades, remove soil, and prepare road sub-beds to facilitate completion of by-pass roads 1 and 2, which are expected to be open in late Fall 2022.
Vehicular movement through the interchange has been modified with adjustments to the location of the north and southbound lanes and the closure of the Barrington Street to Hollis Street ramp. Crews will begin to tear down this ramp and retaining wall in the coming weeks.
New underground infrastructure has been installed on Upper Water Street near HMCS Scotian in the north and the Marriott Harbourfront Hotel in the south. This includes new storm, sanitary and water pipes along with new underground power infrastructure, removal of overhead power poles and wires, and the relocation of a gas line. Temporary power and water services have been provided to abutting properties to facilitate this work.
Work in the vicinity of the Marriott Harbourfront Hotel has been completed with modifications to the hotel entrance/ exit, installation of a new sidewalk and curb reflecting the future alignment of Upper Water Street in that area, and completion of landscaping.
Work at the Department of National Defence parking lot has been completed. Crews are modifying the grade in this area to blend in with the future roundabout that will be built as well as the revised connection of Valour Way.
Crews are raising the grade on Upper Water Street in the vicinity of HMCS Scotian to prevent future flooding in this area.
Crews continue to move material from the south end of the project area to the north end. These materials will be repurposed to build up the future roundabout and grading.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:23 AM

It's great to finally see some progress here!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 11:10 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 1:23 AM

What's going on with the MUP? This was mentioned in the more detailed update in the summer, with completion of the (temporary) MUP by November.

> "The following construction activities are expected to be completed in the next 6 months (November 2022):

> • Completion of Detour Roads 1 and 2 , including underground services, allowing for realignment of northbound/southbound vehicular traffic through the project area. Detour Roads 1 and 2 are expected to open in early fall at which time the central part of the interchange and remaining ramps will be closed.
> • Completion of final condition street realignment and pedestrian activated crossing at Upper Water Street and Hollis Street.
> • Closure of Valour Way at Upper Water Street and Upper Water Street at Cornwallis & Barrington (Detour Road 4) to allow commencement of construction of roundabout.
> • Completion of the temporary Barrington MUP through the site.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 12:43 PM

From that picture, it is difficult to see the bonanza of developable land that was supposed to come from this boondoggle and pay for this along with various politically-correct pieces of HRM infrastructure.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
What's going on with the MUP? This was mentioned in the more detailed update in the summer, with completion of the (temporary) MUP by November.

> "The following construction activities are expected to be completed in the next 6 months (November 2022):

> • Completion of Detour Roads 1 and 2 , including underground services, allowing for realignment of northbound/southbound vehicular traffic through the project area. Detour Roads 1 and 2 are expected to open in early fall at which time the central part of the interchange and remaining ramps will be closed.
> • Completion of final condition street realignment and pedestrian activated crossing at Upper Water Street and Hollis Street.
> • Closure of Valour Way at Upper Water Street and Upper Water Street at Cornwallis & Barrington (Detour Road 4) to allow commencement of construction of roundabout.
> • Completion of the temporary Barrington MUP through the site.
Sorry for a dumb question, but what does MUP stand for? I googled it but only came up with names that didn't apply (like Master of Urban Planning, etc.).

My apologies, but I'm finding that there are too many darn acronyms out there nowadays!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
From that picture, it is difficult to see the bonanza of developable land that was supposed to come from this boondoggle and pay for this along with various politically-correct pieces of HRM infrastructure.
I don't think you'd see it from that picture alone. Remember there are overpasses coming down that take up lots of space.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:58 PM

According to a map on the planning website looks like there are only 6 new development blocks available. The rest will be park space & roads.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Sorry for a dumb question, but what does MUP stand for? I googled it but only came up with names that didn't apply (like Master of Urban Planning, etc.).

My apologies, but I'm finding that there are too many darn acronyms out there nowadays!
I had trouble with this when I first saw it too. Stands for Multi Use Pathway. In this case I think the intention is to extend the Barrington Greenway (MUP) so that it connects into Hollis? "Temporary", so unsure.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 2:26 AM

Quote:
I had trouble with this when I first saw it too. Stands for Multi Use Pathway. In this case I think the intention is to extend the Barrington Greenway (MUP) so that it connects into Hollis? "Temporary", so unsure.
Thank you!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 12:53 PM

Imagine if the MUP were instead used for a light rail or transit ROW directly to the DT.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Imagine if the MUP were instead used for a light rail or transit ROW directly to the DT.
I have to say that's a great point. I wonder if there would be enough space to run rail through there? There could be potential to move lots of people through that area by LRT, i.e. get some cars off the road. That would be very good for the environment.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Lot's of space with the four lanes of (generally single occupancy) vehicular traffic we have there . Already a bus ROW on the western portion of Barrington. We should definitely extend it and upgrade to LRT when the future demands it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:19 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Halifax Transit doesn't seem to get anything right, so why does anyone think they will ever change... I really hope I am wrong and for once, they will be forward thinking and do something great for Halifax.... I think a wholesale change at Halifax Transit is the ONLY thing that will ever get this to happen.... we had better transit service in Halifax 60 years ago, more encompassing, covering more of Halifax.... the service they provide leaves a lot to be desired. We need people that are forward thinking to take this on...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Halifax Transit doesn't seem to get anything right, so why does anyone think they will ever change... I really hope I am wrong and for once, they will be forward thinking and do something great for Halifax.... I think a wholesale change at Halifax Transit is the ONLY thing that will ever get this to happen.... we had better transit service in Halifax 60 years ago, more encompassing, covering more of Halifax.... the service they provide leaves a lot to be desired. We need people that are forward thinking to take this on...
The latest debacle is their inability to staff and hence operate the ferry service. Yesterday most/all of the morning rush hour routes of the Alderney Ferry were canceled outright due to "staffing issues" and they had to run shuttle buses across the Macdonald instead for those passengers. This has become a regular occurrence. It is really a shining example of Transit incompetence. Yet they are planning for a Bedford ferry costing hundreds of millions of dollars. The entire organization has needed to be blown up and replaced for decades.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:16 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
The latest debacle is their inability to staff and hence operate the ferry service. Yesterday most/all of the morning rush hour routes of the Alderney Ferry were canceled outright due to "staffing issues" and they had to run shuttle buses across the Macdonald instead for those passengers. This has become a regular occurrence. It is really a shining example of Transit incompetence. Yet they are planning for a Bedford ferry costing hundreds of millions of dollars. The entire organization has needed to be blown up and replaced for decades.

This brings up a good question. In the studies that were done on the feasibility for the new ferry fast ferry service, was the need for qualifed staff considered in terms of availability and cost/wages? Given that LRT doesn't require a Captian or necessarily an onboard driver of any sort, is seems to have an advantage over a ferry. Where's Pam Bergman when you need her?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:50 PM

Quote:
The question in my mind would be whether this is due to Covid, which seems to be having a bit of a resurgence around here, or some permanent staffing issue. If it's Covid, it's temporary, whereas if it's a broader issue, I don't understand why they would be having trouble finding staff, as it seems like a good gig to get into. Perhaps they aren't paying competitive wages?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
This brings up a good question. In the studies that were done on the feasibility for the new ferry fast ferry service, was the need for qualifed staff considered in terms of availability and cost/wages? Given that LRT doesn't require a Captian or necessarily an onboard driver of any sort, is seems to have an advantage over a ferry. Where's Pam Bergman when you need her?
Common sense would dictate that this was considered in the financial workup, however in this case it's not a guarantee...

That said, is it that hard to find people with seagoing credentials in a port city?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Lot's of space with the four lanes of (generally single occupancy) vehicular traffic we have there . Already a bus ROW on the western portion of Barrington. We should definitely extend it and upgrade to LRT when the future demands it.
The future is demanding it now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The future is demanding it now.
Maybe. BRT is just as, if not more, performant (in respect to capacity, costs, people flow) as LRT and it's been mostly untested in Halifax. Our buses are understaffed and also, pretty empty (both different problems), and there aren't many ROWs operating right now that highlight the benefits of such a system. (I think Bayers would be the longest/most developed?)

I love LRT for many reasons (it's way more comfortable for one) but I find the LRT debate gets tied up for too long and the result is we build *nothing* instead. We can begin building more BRT tomorrow and when the time is right, convert that ROW to LRT. You only need to go look over at Toronto and its Transit City mess to see how this can play out (poorly)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure