HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

aww — the revolutionary lisa coleman plays a little bit of power fantastic for us in a paris train station —

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 7:46 PM

It's wonderful that Paris is expanding it's Metro in such a huge way and much of it opening in time for the Olympics. It's very important that Parisians be able to see the positive long-term effects the city gained by hosting them. They will need all the good news they can get after the black-eye they just took by an abomination of an opening ceremony. The great city of Paris will go down as having the worst and most offensive opening ceremony in the history of the games. At least the new underground stations will allow the citizenry to escape the shame of the games they hosted from the tourists.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
It's wonderful that Paris is expanding it's Metro in such a huge way and much of it opening in time for the Olympics.
Yeah but none of the subway extension has anything to do with the Olympics, nor is it close to be operated yet.

The southern portion of line 15 will be the 1st to be operational; not before next year or 2026 at the latest.
While the whole thing was 1st planned sometime by the late 2000s or early 2010s.

It's no wonder given the scale of the extension. You just can't build something like this overnight.
I'm actually kind of amazed that we still can effectively implement anything that large.
Because yes, when work is done, it's going to be something.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 8:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

its incredibly impressive.

meanwhile, we cant even get a half loop light rail on an already existing train route built in ny. ugh.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Yeah but none of the subway extension has anything to do with the Olympics, nor is it close to be operated yet.

The southern portion of line 15 will be the 1st to be operational; not before next year or 2026 at the latest.
While the whole thing was 1st planned sometime by the late 2000s or early 2010s.

It's no wonder given the scale of the extension. You just can't build something like this overnight.
I'm actually kind of amazed that we still can effectively implement anything that large.
Because yes, when work is done, it's going to be something.
Paris also seems to be getting this huge Metro expansion at a reasonable costs which NA can't manage to do, especially in the US.

Between Europe and NA, Paris & Toronto have the biggest and most comprehensive expansions under way.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
The great city of Paris will go down as having the worst and most offensive opening ceremony in the history of the games.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Aug 1, 2024 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
It's wonderful that Paris is expanding it's Metro in such a huge way and much of it opening in time for the Olympics. It's very important that Parisians be able to see the positive long-term effects the city gained by hosting them. They will need all the good news they can get after the black-eye they just took by an abomination of an opening ceremony. The great city of Paris will go down as having the worst and most offensive opening ceremony in the history of the games. At least the new underground stations will allow the citizenry to escape the shame of the games they hosted from the tourists.
I thought the opening ceremonies were incredible! Other than maybe Beijing, I think Paris had the best, most creative and coolest opening ceremonies of all time.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:20 PM

Since you guys went off topic because the Olympics, what's the difference between expansion and extension in English?

I looked at definitions. According to English, extension would go one way only, while expansion would mean the enlargement of a whole system or graph in multi-directional ways.

I don't mind. To me, a C/C++ macro is expanded by a C preprocessor, which is often a dumb annoying thing (that's why they invented C++ templates that are more reliable and convenient in most cases).
That's what expansion means, while extension means the same as your random English-speaker expansion in good French.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:28 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I thought the opening ceremonies were incredible! Other than maybe Beijing, I think Paris had the best, most creative and coolest opening ceremonies of all time.
IDK, my initial thought was slightly underwhelming. I didn't care for how much of it was prerecorded bits. Also the Seine parade didn't really have the visual impact I thought it was going to. The rain did not help but I really don't think that was it. Other elements I think it got a little edgy for edgy sake, which I'm not really a fan of. I loved the Marie Antoinette, Revolution, Gojira metal sequence. The whole thing should've just been that LOL.

I know we're talking Summer Games here, but, and I almost hate to say it, my favorite opening ceremonies would probably be Sochi Winter Games. The aesthetics and Constructivist visuals interwoven throughout were outstanding.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
IDK, my initial thought was slightly underwhelming.
Same here. Frankly, it wasn't worth so much noise.
But the tournaments are being cool and that's the only real thing that matters when you like sport.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:41 PM

The opening ceremony was cheesy and silly. But aren't they all like that? The "flame" was cool.

The Seine setting was interesting but logistically didn't work as well as the typical stadium setting.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:43 PM

Now that I'm thinking, I made a little mistake. Expansion is the proper term when it comes to economics in French too.
Otherwise, extension is ok as well. I mean it's kind of hard to make a difference in colloquial language.
The rest of it is a matter of initiated people. The programming slang was quite a proper example.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The opening ceremony was cheesy and silly. But aren't they all like that?
Show us what you look like so I can laugh out loud...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Since you guys went off topic because the Olympics, what's the difference between expansion and extension in English?

I looked at definitions. According to English, extension would go one way only, while expansion would mean the enlargement of a whole system or graph in multi-directional ways.
As a native English speaker I'd say "extend" just means to lengthen (make longer) while expand means to increase more generally. If you're in a meeting that is supposed to be an hour long you might extend it to last an extra 20 minutes. But if that meeting was only supposed to cover one topic you might expand the agenda to cover other things. Or if you normally only have one meeting per month, you might expand the meeting schedule to have them weekly. Or let's say you have a list of things to buy at the store, you might lengthen it by adding extra items to it. But if you also started making lists for other things, you would be expanding the number of things you make a list for.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Show us what you look like so I can laugh out loud...
I have no idea what my appearance has to do with my comment that all Olympics opening ceremonies tend to be silly. Spice Girls, ninjas, etc.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I have no idea what my appearance has to do with my comment that all Olympics opening ceremonies tend to be silly. Spice Girls, ninjas, etc.
Man, you just gotta be ugly to call an entire 68-million people cheesy and silly, just like that, out of nothing much like a couple-of-hour long ceremony, basically because we're French and somehow, you just can't help it maybe because of some sort of jealousy.
You don't like us and you'll be treated the same here.

Did a Frenchman fuck your wife? That's not my fault. Why should I let my entire people be called cheesy and silly by a sorry American slob?
This is pathetic.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Man, you just gotta be ugly to call an entire 68-million people cheesy and silly, just like that, out of nothing much like a couple-of-hour long ceremony, basically because we're French and somehow, you just can't help it maybe because of some sort of jealousy.
Re-read my post. Maybe this is a language issue.

I wrote that all opening ceremonies are silly. All. The Tokyo one was silly. The LA one will be silly. Has nothing to do with French people.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
IDK, my initial thought was slightly underwhelming. I didn't care for how much of it was prerecorded bits. Also the Seine parade didn't really have the visual impact I thought it was going to. The rain did not help but I really don't think that was it. Other elements I think it got a little edgy for edgy sake, which I'm not really a fan of. I loved the Marie Antoinette, Revolution, Gojira metal sequence. The whole thing should've just been that LOL.

I know we're talking Summer Games here, but, and I almost hate to say it, my favorite opening ceremonies would probably be Sochi Winter Games. The aesthetics and Constructivist visuals interwoven throughout were outstanding.
I didn't care for the prerecorded parts either (which Beijing kind of had too, and that was one aspect of the Beijing OC I didn't care for); to me it played out like a film, in other words, it had a story to it. Which is fine, but I felt it was a more made-for-TV/streaming opening ceremony than a welcome/pomp & circumstance for the athletes. I always felt that Olympic ceremonies are really more for the people who attend it in person/live, and cameras are there just to catch it for TV viewers. The athletes arriving by flotilla must've sounded great on paper or in a brainstorming session in a conference room, but the execution of it as you said, did not have the visual impact that I thought it would. From what it looked like, most of the actual attendees were mostly watching events unfold on large video screens, even the lighting of the "cauldron."

I don't know if I have a favorite Olympic opening ceremony. I know my least favorite in my lifetime has to be Atlanta, with the pickup trucks and cheerleaders. WTF?!? How embarrassing was that??

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 10:03 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

Did a Frenchman fuck your wife? That's not my fault. Why should I let my entire people be called cheesy and silly by a sorry American slob?
This is pathetic.
mon fiston, he was talking about the opening ceremony, not your perpetually insecure frenchmen. chillax.

speaking of, i thought the opening ceremonies were ok. the seine parade did not work out so well, but it was a great idea as something different for a change, instead of a typical march into a stadium.

i would hope the olympics committee moves for a permanent site in greece at some point though.

aaaannndddd … yeah boyyeeee
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C94vL...FtNzllbWtqYTF2

Last edited by mrnyc; Aug 3, 2024 at 10:13 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation