HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
Yes, definitely you should try to turn what you have into diagrams if that is something you are interested in doing. As you said, there are a lot of missing ones. I am attempting to fill in the gaps as well, so if you already have some completed let me know so I don’t try making the same ones.

If you have any pointers, I could sure use some help. This was my first submission, so I’m not really sure what the best programs or techniques to use are. That type of knowledge isn’t shared much in this forum, sadly.
I would just be converting the drawings that I use to make my paper 3d models into a workable diagram. Probably wouldn't be very fancy stuff. You can see what I have on my Downtown model thread. But I could probably submit Hanover on 3rd and Brazos quickly.

I just use Adobe Illustrator and Google Earth to make what I do. I think there are a few threads on making diagrams, let me see if I can find them.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:25 PM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 8:24 PM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 8:48 PM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Slowly but surely. The parking garage floors must just take more time with the incline ramp that they have to build.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 7:35 PM

Mid December pictures

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 4:42 AM

Glass installed.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 2:59 PM

This is the first in a one-two-three punch that will effectively kill the warehouse district.

1. 415 Colorado
2. Embassy Suites/Motto
3. OCH development

...and then comes the Iron Bear redevelopment

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
Glass installed.

We have glass cladding! Can someone get a close-up with good color of it. Okay I know it is blue again, but. This will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post
This is the first in a one-two-three punch that will effectively kill the warehouse district.

1. 415 Colorado
2. Embassy Suites/Motto
3. OCH development

I really believe we will regret this some day

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post

1. 415 Colorado
2. Embassy Suites/Motto
3. OCH development

Have you heard anything about the Iron Bear?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I really believe we will regret this some day
already do

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 4:30 AM

As a city and culture, we REALLY need to be more resilient than to resign ourselves to defeatism when great bar/entertainment districts are lost.

Bar/entertainment districts always exist in less high-end areas. We just need to make new ones. Rainey Street was invented out of thin air. There's no reason bar entrepreneurs can't coordinate and do something similar somewhere else.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 2:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
As a city and culture, we REALLY need to be more resilient than to resign ourselves to defeatism when great bar/entertainment districts are lost.

Bar/entertainment districts always exist in less high-end areas. We just need to make new ones. Rainey Street was invented out of thin air. There's no reason bar entrepreneurs can't coordinate and do something similar somewhere else.
Yea but DT Austin has always been for decades the place to be for nightlife. If we lose that, we lose the whole point of why DT became popular to live, work and play. Moving out of DT is not an option IMO, we need to push hard for new development to incorporate club venue space not just restaurant or retail. We are seeing what can be accomplished on Rainey Street with new towers adding in venue space, there's no reason why we can't demand that in the 4th Street area.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Yea but DT Austin has always been for decades the place to be for nightlife. If we lose that, we lose the whole point of why DT became popular to live, work and play. Moving out of DT is not an option IMO, we need to push hard for new development to incorporate club venue space not just restaurant or retail. We are seeing what can be accomplished on Rainey Street with new towers adding in venue space, there's no reason why we can't demand that in the 4th Street area.
Yea there have been new bar districts appear like on Manchaca and Rock Rose, but having most of the nightlife downtown is a big part of Austin.

First I think we need to repair Dirty 6th. It has too much potential as a nightlife space to be in its current condition. I think Warehouse as it used to be is dead, but we can still ensure that the new buildings have as much bar/restaurant space as possible so that the area is still lively. It seems like they are doing a good job on that front on Rainey St. West 6th always feels the least changed to me; it's basically the same crowd it was a decade ago. If the condos come hard in that area they need to work to maintain retail space as well.

It'd be nice to also see some nightlife pop up in the northern parts of downtown by the capitol. That area is still a dead space that has a lot of potential to develop. There is also potential on the south shore, and I know there is a few new places over there. That could be the 04 answer to the east side. (Not quite downtown but maybe close enough).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 4:38 PM

I still think it's inevitable that our entertainment options will slowly migrate under some of the larger CVCs. There're obstacles to that, of course, but so long as those CVCs stay in place the land underneath will be useless for much else.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 5:54 PM

Downtown is where entertainment, resi, retail and everything in-between should thrive in addition to surrounding entertainment nodules.

I say reject UrbanAnywhere, USA aesthetics and disposable urbanism. It's OK to be picky and not just accept any type of high-rise at the cost of an entire district dying off lol.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Downtown is where entertainment, resi, retail and everything in-between should thrive in addition to surrounding entertainment nodules.

I say reject UrbanAnywhere, USA aesthetics and disposable urbanism. It's OK to be picky and not just accept any type of high-rise at the cost of an entire district dying off lol.
I agree. Ideally I'd like every new building to look good, but honestly I tend to focus more on "what does this building provide for people who don't live/work inside it?" I suppose that can be incredible architecture (few and far between here outside of NYC/Chicago), but moreso restaurants, bars, retail, or anything more than the bare minimum of a tiny coffee shop, or even worse, just a huge lobby and multiple parking entrances without anything more. Basically, making a reason to actually go to the building if it isn't your home or office.

Just looking at 2nd street, you can compare the Ashton apartments with AMLI downtown. The Ashton is pretty tall, and looks pretty good with a nice brick facade. But their gym and some other amenities are on the ground floor, and it really does nothing for the surrounding area. The AMLI on the other hand looks okay for a 4-story midrise. But, out of the 4 "blocks" of street frontage it takes up, literally 3.5 of that is used for retail, restaurants, and bars. You can say mostly the same about the AMLI on 2nd, which has an entire movie theater within it as well as other bars and restaurants too.

You can also compare the Austonian and Independent. One side of the Austonian faces an alley and another side faces a parking lot. But of the remainder (ignoring recently-vacated spaces), there's been room for a couple restaurants, a liquor store, and a coffee shop. The independent was built on a much bigger lot with plenty of foot traffic, and ended up with a midsized coffee shop that serves cocktails.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin