HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Just noticed this project seem to come out of nowhere the other day and wasn't sure what it was. Anyone have info on it? It's on 500 W and 500 S.

https://imgur.com/a/TOkmnaE
The project is called "Pamela's Place."

Here is a snip from the April, 2019 SLTrib article https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/04/...e-new-housing/:
Quote:
Officials with the Housing Authority of Salt Lake City broke ground Wednesday on what will be called Pamela’s Place Apartments, a five-story, 100-bed facility at 525 S. 500 West that will be devoted to permanent supportive housing for the region’s chronically homeless.

In addition to affordable studio apartments, the completed building will offer residents access to a full clinic, dedicated case workers, a variety of social services and community spaces, and special facilities for gardening and pets. “It’s not a homeless shelter,” said Dan Nackerman, executive director of the Housing Authority. “It’s apartments for people perhaps coming out of homelessness or perhaps just very low-income and needing some service.”
I suggest reading the full article (link above). Here is a link to a KSL article on it as well: https://www.ksl.com/article/46534191...ns-best-friend

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
The project is called "Pamela's Place."

Here is a snip from the April, 2019 SLTrib article https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/04/...e-new-housing/:

I suggest reading the full article (link above). Here is a link to a KSL article on it as well: https://www.ksl.com/article/46534191...ns-best-friend
Oh thank you for the information! I totally missed these announcements.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:08 PM

Statue honoring Salt Lake business leader Vasilios Priskos unveiled downtown
By Deseret News -
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/1/...ty-real-estate

A statue memorializing late local businessman Vasilios Priskos is pictured at the entrance of Vasilios Priskos Walkway on 143 S. Main in Salt Lake City on Friday, Jan. 3, 2020.
The 8-foot bronze statue celebrates the life and contributions of Priskos — who spent years supporting the development of the city’s downtown central business district.
Ryan Mack, Downtown Alliance

(Francisco Kjolseth | The Salt Lake Tribune) An eight-foot bronze statue celebrating Vasilios Priskos’ life and community c...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 7, 2020 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 11:14 PM
of SLC

Yo I don't contribute to this forum much but I am very thankful for all the photos and updates. I check this site every single day for new content.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 1:50 AM

[QUOTE=delts145;8791750][B][SIZE="3"]Statue honoring Salt Lake business leader Vasilios Priskos unveiled downtown
By Deseret News -

Awesome, now let's honor him by getting Salt Lake a true signature tower.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:19 AM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=delts145;8791750][B][SIZE="3"]Statue honoring Salt Lake business leader Vasilios Priskos unveiled downtown

No disrespect, or maybe some. What did Priskos do for the city? Did he build anything? What were his contributions to downtown? My understanding was he was a land banker. (Internet properties) I know his family ran the long time eatery on 400 south and main.

Forgive my naivete on this. I could care less if he has a statue or not. I just don't seem to understand what he did for downtown. Can someone enlighten me?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:20 AM

[QUOTE=Ironweed;8792403]
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]Statue honoring Salt Lake business leader Vasilios Priskos unveiled downtown

No disrespect, or maybe some. What did Priskos do for the city? Did he build anything? What were his contributions to downtown? My understanding was he was a land banker. (Internet properties) I know his family ran the long time eatery on 400 south and main.

Forgive my naivete on this. I could care less if he has a statue or not. I just don't seem to understand what he did for downtown. Can someone enlighten me?
The biggest thing he did, that I am aware of, was bought and restored the Tribune Building that now houses Neumont University.

Outside of this, he did a lot of land banking but also was a booster for downtown and wanted to see it developed. He wanted to do more development and was starting to move more in this direction shortly before he died.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 5:56 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
development that feels woefully oversized for the neighborhood
The cool "urban" part is along the commercial streets. I'd just push density a block or two into the neighborhood. But people want to save their damn neighborhood ("this is a single-family place") -- which is hilarious because within 10 years, most of those houses will be gutted anyway.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:52 PM

^^^
Is there a specific example you're talking about 215? I get the impression Comrade had something specific in mind, but his post seems to have had it edited out?? Doesn't seem to pop up in any of the recent pages.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:26 PM
Space Magi

So is the Regent Street Hotel project officially dead? There hasn't been news about it in ages.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:38 PM

I walked past the Priskos statue and I hope they put a plaque or something on it. Right now it's just some unnamed dude and I would have no idea who he was until that DNews article was posted.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
Is there a specific example you're talking about 215? I get the impression Comrade had something specific in mind, but his post seems to have had it edited out?? Doesn't seem to pop up in any of the recent pages.
I think he is responding to something WAY back when there was a conversation about the scale of the development in Sugarhouse.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Yo I don't contribute to this forum much but I am very thankful for all the photos and updates. I check this site every single day for new content.
Glad to here you comment Boz. You're always welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 9:16 PM

It feels like a party watch when they break ground for the convention center hotel this coming up Friday

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 11:21 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I remember hearing about this project awhile back but I don't think I've seen this website before. This is a pretty big development:
http://www.650main.com/
Like everyone else said. SLC does NOT need another parking garage ther is plenty of parking already. There is a Trax line and new station going in right across the street.

Building design is Okay but not nearly as cool as the Newhouse was.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
I walked past the Priskos statue and I hope they put a plaque or something on it. Right now it's just some unnamed dude and I would have no idea who he was until that DNews article was posted.
I was surprised by the statue but I assume the family paid for it and naming the walkway next to the very nice Tribune building makeover after Priskos seems appropriate. No doubt plaques will follow. Hopefully the family's next project is something tall and cool on Arrow Press Square.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
I was surprised by the statue but I assume the family paid for it and naming the walkway next to the very nice Tribune building makeover after Priskos seems appropriate. No doubt plaques will follow. Hopefully the family's next project is something tall and cool on Arrow Press Square.
What bothered me was committing public space to it. Once Brigham Young was removed from South Temple is there any other statute on public property in the downtown area? Sidewalk and road space is at a premium downtown so I think the bar should be really high for a citizen to be granted public real estate. I don’t think he met that standard.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:56 AM
of SLC

Good Lord, some of you guys will complain about anything.

I'm glad the statue is right exactly where it is.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:11 AM

Wouldn’t a statue of the founder of the salt lake tribune be more appropriate for that spot? The whole thing seems inappropriate and narcissistic to me. But I get it...if you’re going to erect a statue of the dude, where else are you going to put it? I can’t think of any other building downtown he improved upon. Unfortunately, I can think of multiple buildings he owned which he neglected and let rot. It’s also not incredible to suspect the guy was guilty of arson and attempted to burn down not just one building, but all of arrow press square in order to land the CCH on his property.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:05 AM
of SLC

*facepalm*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West