HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Dropping in from LA to just say that, even as an Lakers fan (and therefore a little bit of a 76ers hater), I really hope the arena gets built as proposed. The nimbys protesting this one rival LA's in stupidity. It's a great plan and should be a model for other cities with new arenas on the horizon.

I'm rooting for Philadelphia in general, it deserves to be a top destination for talent and capital!
Never underestimate Philadelphia's penchant for making all of the wrong decisions when it comes to development.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 7:15 PM

Inga weighing in on this one and claming 8th & Race is a better location than 11th & Market, which is arguably the most situated intersection in the entire region from a transit perspective is just mind blowing.

My only complaint is that I wish the arena building itself had more architectural weight. It's just a big bland box. It would be cool to see something soaring (Oculus like) or in a dome or elliptical shape (Barclays) for the actual skeleton of the building.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Inga weighing in on this one and claming 8th & Race is a better location than 11th & Market, which is arguably the most situated intersection in the entire region from a transit perspective is just mind blowing.

My only complaint is that I wish the arena building itself had more architectural weight. It's just a big bland box. It would be cool to see something soaring (Oculus like) or in a dome or elliptical shape (Barclays) for the actual skeleton of the building.
Yeah it's a terrible take from her. 8th and Market would be next best location. 8th and Race means you have to walk outside for 10 minutes from MFL, Patco and regional rail which immediately ruins the whole concept. And it's 3-4 blocks further from BSL which turns a 5 minute walk into a 15 minute walk. I am aware the Broad-Ridge Spur stop is there but let's not act like that can handle the volume of people needed. Also let's not act like Chinatown wouldn't also be opposed to 8th and Race. I think it's more intrusive since it's less urban over there.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:

It’s also hilarious to me because 8th & Race is actually IN Chinatown. To be fair that area has been so destroyed by auto infrastructure it’s hardly connected to Chinatown anymore. Regardless, how she can have any credibility in claiming to be concerned about preserving Chinatown after that statement is laughable.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
It’s also hilarious to me because 8th & Race is actually IN Chinatown. To be fair that area has been so destroyed by auto infrastructure it’s hardly connected to Chinatown anymore. Regardless, how she can have any credibility in claiming to be concerned about preserving Chinatown after that statement is laughable.
She obviously didn't check in with the Chinatown association before writing this - as any credible developer should.

Chinatown is adjacent to SEVERAL areas of town and thus should be allowed to approve or disapprove of any possible developments.

C'mon, Inga. You KNOW this.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:

Is there a link to something she wrote/said about this?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 3:12 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Is there a link to something she wrote/said about this?
It’s near the end of this column from June: https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...-20230622.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 8:21 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
She obviously didn't check in with the Chinatown association before writing this - as any credible developer should.

Chinatown is adjacent to SEVERAL areas of town and thus should be allowed to approve or disapprove of any possible developments.

C'mon, Inga. You KNOW this.
Chinatown Should NOT be allowed to just approve to disapprove of any possible developments outside of their area, that doesn't make sense.

Market St is the entertainment district , and Chinatown is Chinatown.

Thats why we have a culture of nothing getting done now because anyone can cause a ruckus and cause a project to never happening, leaving stagnant plots of land, and no economic development for decades.

New York City is the city we see today because NIMBYISM didn't Choke it out.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 8:35 PM

I agree 100%

The arena is not being proposed for Chinatown. It’s being proposed for Market East/Center City East, which is its own area next to Chinatown. It should be the entertainment district and can be so much nicer than it is.

Chinatown should not have any say, sway or control over anything outside of their RCO boundaries.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Chinatown Should NOT be allowed to just approve to disapprove of any possible developments outside of their area, that doesn't make sense.

Market St is the entertainment district , and Chinatown is Chinatown.

Thats why we have a culture of nothing getting done now because anyone can cause a ruckus and cause a project to never happening, leaving stagnant plots of land, and no economic development for decades.

New York City is the city we see today because NIMBYISM didn't Choke it out.
I fear my overt sarcasm wasn't overt enough. LOL. I think it's utterly ridiculous that this group has been given the TIME OF DAY when it comes to this. They stand to benefit from this development and they're too dense to see it.

The development corp thought they were doing the right thing by involving them in the process and they completely overstepped. The arena is a by-right project. Obviously the city will need to sign off on a bunch of stuff but they can go forward whether Chinatown likes it or not.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I agree 100%

The arena is not being proposed for Chinatown. It’s being proposed for Market East/Center City East, which is its own area next to Chinatown. It should be the entertainment district and can be so much nicer than it is.

Chinatown should not have any say, sway or control over anything outside of their RCO boundaries.
PLUS....they have absolutely NO problem developing IN Chinatown. Developers are adding floors to existing structures, developing surface lots and looking to add a retirement community, for crying out loud! Is all THAT added capacity gonna spell the end of Chinatown?

WTF?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 9:56 PM
Chris

Quote:
PLUS....they have absolutely NO problem developing IN Chinatown. Developers are adding floors to existing structures, developing surface lots and looking to add a retirement community, for crying out loud! Is all THAT added capacity gonna spell the end of Chinatown?

WTF?
Sometimes.

A 7-story high-end short term rental building is planned for 13th & Sumner Streets and still had this response from the executive director of the PCDC.

“This is not consistent with our vision for the neighborhood...” Meanwhile the site... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9571...8192?entry=ttu

But agree, the reasons for outrage over the arena are largely driven by personal preferences and social justice nonsense versus legitimate criticisms.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 10:52 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
I fear my overt sarcasm wasn't overt enough. LOL. I think it's utterly ridiculous that this group has been given the TIME OF DAY when it comes to this. They stand to benefit from this development and they're too dense to see it.

The development corp thought they were doing the right thing by involving them in the process and they completely overstepped. The arena is a by-right project. Obviously the city will need to sign off on a bunch of stuff but they can go forward whether Chinatown likes it or not.
I thought I senses sarcasm but so many people have gone crazy with the arena proposal I couldnt tell LMAO.

Yes and on top of that Chinatown doesnt even want to talk it out, they say they want communication & have meetings but every in person meeting they have had they just drowned out the speakers for the arena ruining the meeting.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 1:17 AM

“This is not consistent with our vision for the neighborhood...”

Okay then - what's the vision?

How foolish are you to not extract as many concessions out of the 76ers as possible to realize your vision?

They can't be this obtuse, right???

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 3:45 AM
Creative Ambitions

Don't you know? It's not a good idea unless I came up with it!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 1:37 PM

Also Chinatown is mostly owned by Chinese-Americans. If the neighborhood turns over...it's because Chinese-American landlords are selling out.

Click around on the properties on Atlas: https://atlas.phila.gov/915%20ARCH%20ST/property

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post

They can't be this obtuse, right???

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Sometimes.

A 7-story high-end short term rental building is planned for 13th & Sumner Streets and still had this response from the executive director of the PCDC.

“This is not consistent with our vision for the neighborhood...” Meanwhile the site... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9571...8192?entry=ttu

Unbelievable.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 6:53 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Son, you are forgetting yourself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations