HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That you claim people in Phoenix live close to chain restaurants as if that is demonstrative of some sort of low culture or undeveloped city.

Yet Central midtown has an olive Garden yet Downtown Phoenix does not.

Its a strawman, all cities have chains, and the suburbs of all cities are....like suburbs.
The quote about Phoenix's lack of culture and love of Olive Garden is not my quote, but I do not recall it's origin.

Your point about other large metro areas having similar suburbs is accurate, however those cites do not have the same endless sprawl reputation for which Phoenix is constantly berated. Whether is fair or unfair criticism is matter of opinion.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 8:14 PM

I think everyone just needs to stay in their lane!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 8:49 PM

Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station

I wish it would blow up and take out Phoenix so we could stop having these pointless pissing contests. Nobody cares. Why don't you just DM each other.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
The quote about Phoenix's lack of culture and love of Olive Garden is not my quote, but I do not recall it's origin.

Your point about other large metro areas having similar suburbs is accurate, however those cites do not have the same endless sprawl reputation for which Phoenix is constantly berated. Whether is fair or unfair criticism is matter of opinion.
It's all a matter of opinion as to what defines sprawl. When it comes to urban area sprawl, Phoenix is most certainly not the worst offender and many urban areas of cities including Dallas, Houston, Boston, Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Tampa, Baltimore, St. Louis, Cleveland, San Antonio, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Orlando, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Columbus, and Austin, and yes, Tucson all are worse offenders.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 2:40 AM

As Photobucket has discontinued their image linking and third-party hosting for free, I will be switching over to Flickr or a similar host ASAP, so have a little patience until I can get the images restored to the Tucson and Flagstaff development lists.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:10 AM
Skyriser

City vs city discussions are forbidden on SSP for precisely the last couple pages.

This is called the Tucson Development Thread for a reason, so please keep it that way.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:47 PM

Website says Tucson is the 28th worst city to live in...

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jun 26, 2017 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
What gets missed in these headlines is that there's the "city"...and then there's the "metro/region". The City of Tucson definitely has several issues, but what makes the region a more livable place are the comprehensive towns of Marana, Oro Valley, Sahuarita...and unincorporated areas of Vail, Foothills, Casas Adobes, Tortolita, Tucson Mountains, and Green Valley.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:27 PM

What's going up? Homeless, senior and student housing on the rise

Nice little summary from a few days ago. Tyndall student housing got its permit.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
In that presentation, the below concept was presented for the parking lot to the west of 44 E Broadway

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not the ugliest rendering to surface in Tucson? It looks like the work of designing the building was given to two architects -- one who designed the top floors and the other the bottom and neither individual was in contact with the other. This building will only accent the hideousness that is its neighbors rather than disguising them. Why on Earth would they split the building's design in half like that? Mixing architectural styles in such a concrete (literally concrete) way is going to make a franken-building monster. We'd be lucky for godzilla to roll around and erase this atrocity into a pile of rubble.
And don't get me wrong, there are some good elements to the design like the vines in the bottom half and the glass on the top but a DJ shouldn't mix an amazing Johnny Cash song with a Queen song and expect something fantastic, architecture is the same way. It's an art and such combinations need to be approached by those who are capable of successfully completing it. Another thing I want to point out is height. Compared to what kinds of buildings we've been seeing go up downtown, this one is much taller (FINALLY)! It looks to be around the height of the UNS building which is very prominent from all angles. I suspect that with the other prime real estate being developed downtown that the remaining properties will be pushing upwards just a little bit more. That is assuming that the arena site will go forwards as planned and that in the next 3-4 years we'll get another caterpillar/hexagon sized workforce moving in downtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:30 PM

I'm not even sure what's really going on with the front. The west side is likely devoid of detail because it would abut The Westerner.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not the ugliest rendering to surface in Tucson?
There is no way this design will be built. I think this is simply a concept image to show the potential for that space. They said they are looking to turn that lot into a "Corporate HQ Opportunity". They probably wanted to show something with more interest than a simple glass, 4 story building. Although this rendering misses the mark in my opinion.

I will be wrong and this thing will break ground by Fall

Last edited by crzyabe; Jun 27, 2017 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:43 PM

Fencing is up at 950 N Tyndall.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:40 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Fencing is up at 950 N Tyndall.
Has anyone heard any more about Mama's going in the bottom of one of the towers? Heard murmurs last week it was almost a done deal, but nothing concrete.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
Has anyone heard any more about Mama's going in the bottom of one of the towers? Heard murmurs last week it was almost a done deal, but nothing concrete.
Their sign is already up at Hub 1.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:49 AM

I'm hearing of a basement bar in the AZ Hotel Apartments and a beer garden in its back parking lot.

Last edited by combusean; Jun 28, 2017 at 5:32 AM. Reason: inflammatory

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:29 PM

Mini Entertainment Mecca taking shape at Congress & Scott in Downtown Tucson

"A new Vintage Arcade will be coming this fall to 63 East Congress Street, at the northwest corner of Congress and Scott Avenue, in Downtown Tucson."

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:45 PM

Was just going to post that. I've heard good things about Cobra Arcade Bar, so this is really promising.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:57 PM

For informational purposes since its a SkyscraperPage, the tallest building in L.A. and west of the Mississippi had its grand opening. US Bank Tower is now #2. Very interesting thoughts and ideas on this skyscraper and skyscrapers in general in this article and related articles.

A new skyscraper for Los Angeles: Wilshire Grand makes its debut

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:15 PM

Photo updates of 7th Ave Commons

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest