HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
At first I was a little disappointed that they seem to be scaling back but after your comment I can see why saving money here would make sense if it means a downtown tunnel. Plus there's no reason it can't be transitioned into light rail in the future when increased capacity demands it.
I think this scenario is reasonable, but if there is a need for a downtown tunnel it is on Guadalupe, not 4th Street. Guadalupe already carries a significant amount of automobile and bus traffic. Reserving two lanes (or one on Guadalupe and one on Lavaca) for 100% transit dedication for both LRT and buses could be challenging. That kind of happens now, but the 'reserved' lanes are often impeded by right turn movements and cars ignoring the lane reservations. Proper LRT stations also require more space than the existing bus stops on Guadalupe and Lavaca.

4th Street has very little traffic on it, and most is circling for parking. 4th Street should become a transit mall, with the elimination of street parking and limited auto access to those few buildings that need access to 4th for parking or loading. Those can be handled by a single one-way lane that only allows circling that particular block, and not through movements.

Under this scenario, the likely connection between the downtown stations is made primarily by the Gold Line BRT. I predict that the Trinity Crossing will be eliminated in the definition of Minimum Operable Segment (MOS) that this is leading towards. Both Orange and Blue LRT will cross LBL in a shared crossing near S 1st (either tunnel or new bridge because the existing Drake bridge cannot accommodate LRT without significant rebuilding). The lake crossings are the most expensive part of the proposed system, whether tunnel or bridge, so it makes sense to develop only one initially and reserve the ability to build the second in the future. The Trinity crossing would make the most sense once the Gold Line BRT is replaced by a Blue Line LRT extension, as originally envisioned.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I think this scenario is reasonable, but if there is a need for a downtown tunnel it is on Guadalupe, not 4th Street. Guadalupe already carries a significant amount of automobile and bus traffic. Reserving two lanes (or one on Guadalupe and one on Lavaca) for 100% transit dedication for both LRT and buses could be challenging. That kind of happens now, but the 'reserved' lanes are often impeded by right turn movements and cars ignoring the lane reservations. Proper LRT stations also require more space than the existing bus stops on Guadalupe and Lavaca.

4th Street has very little traffic on it, and most is circling for parking. 4th Street should become a transit mall, with the elimination of street parking and limited auto access to those few buildings that need access to 4th for parking or loading. Those can be handled by a single one-way lane that only allows circling that particular block, and not through movements.

Under this scenario, the likely connection between the downtown stations is made primarily by the Gold Line BRT. I predict that the Trinity Crossing will be eliminated in the definition of Minimum Operable Segment (MOS) that this is leading towards. Both Orange and Blue LRT will cross LBL in a shared crossing near S 1st (either tunnel or new bridge because the existing Drake bridge cannot accommodate LRT without significant rebuilding). The lake crossings are the most expensive part of the proposed system, whether tunnel or bridge, so it makes sense to develop only one initially and reserve the ability to build the second in the future. The Trinity crossing would make the most sense once the Gold Line BRT is replaced by a Blue Line LRT extension, as originally envisioned.
They are proposing the tunnel be under 4th street, guadalupe, and the short stretch of Trinity before it exits downtown and crosses the river.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post

The Trinity crossing is how you get a connection to the Rainey corridor which is vital. That is so much dense housing, hotels, bars and soon offices.

Also, the lake crossing is nowhere close to the expensive part of this plan.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The Trinity crossing is how you get a connection to the Rainey corridor which is vital. That is so much dense housing, hotels, bars and soon offices.

Also, the lake crossing is nowhere close to the expensive part of this plan.
It's damn close to a rounding error (while recognizing that we're still talking about millions of dollars).

Say $100M for a "signature bridge".

That's literally 1% of a $10B project.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:15 PM

Wait, we gonna get a tunnel?!?!?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Wait, we gonna get a tunnel?!?!?
It's possible. I think that is the preference for a lot of reasons. CM Alter was trying to throw water on it because we will have to raise taxes. She's all for a transformative transit system unless we have to pay for it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:52 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
It's possible. I think that is the preference for a lot of reasons. CM Alter was trying to throw water on it because we will have to raise taxes. She's all for a transformative transit system unless we have to pay for it.
Sounds like Austin voters in a nutshell. We love a lot of things until we have to put our money where our mouth is.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Sounds like Austin voters in a nutshell. We love a lot of things until we have to put our money where our mouth is.
There is enough council members to push it through but at the same time you don't want some members to tell their continuities to vote against it. She will also be up for re-election so I assume that is where her focus will be.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:46 PM

The voters will NEVER go for a multi billion dollar transit system. They’ve voted it down twice before, and will do it again.

There are not enough voters in the urban core vote to overcome this, mainly cuz renters don’t show up.

Nothing has changed since the last 2 rail defeats.

BTW, I’m all for mass transit....but we need real density (like Portland, Or.) first, and that will NEVER happen in my lifetime. Never. Ever. Never. Seriously.

Last edited by urbancore; Jan 15, 2020 at 8:47 PM. Reason: I’m dumb

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
The voters will NEVER go for a multi billion dollar transit system. They’ve voted it down twice before, and will do it again.

There are not enough voters in the urban core vote to overcome this, mainly cuz renters don’t show up.

BTW, I’m all for mass transit....but we need real density (like Portland, Or.) first, and that will NEVER happen in my lifetime. Never. Ever. Never. Seriously.
The last vote for rail was in the wrong place AND was tied in to highway expansion. The previous vote PASSED and became the red line. Three votes ago (in 2000 when traffic and density were nowhwere near where they are (and it actually passed within city limits)) was shot down by just a few hundred votes. I think people have woken up that we need to try something different.
Lastly, we do have Portland level density downtown and West Campus with a few other areas along the blue and orange (gold) lines that also warrant rail.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

Renters show up for presidential elections. This will be the most pro transit electorate ever so it's possible.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
the voters will never go for a multi billion dollar transit system. They’ve voted it down twice before, and will do it again.

Btw, i’m all for mass transit....but we need real density (like portland, or.) first, and that will never happen in my lifetime. Never. Ever. Never. Seriously.
a

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:56 PM

Again. I want it to pass.

But it won’t. I’m taking all bets, I’ll put money where my mouth is.

This is a pipe dream.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
The last vote for rail was in the wrong place AND was tied in to highway expansion. The previous vote PASSED and became the red line. Three votes ago (in 2000 when traffic and density were nowhwere near where they are (and it actually passed within city limits)) was shot down by just a few hundred votes. I think people have woken up that we need to try something different.
Yep, I was going to make these points. In general Austin passes most bonds of any type, but the last one was even opposed by some rail supporters due to the route. And in 2000, I think the city was blindsided by a well-run opposition. And even so it was incredibly close.

20 years later, and a lot of those price-sensitive voters have been... well, priced out and probably no longer live in the city proper. And the urban population has exploded.

With the map checking most people's boxes, and the rather optimistic price tag after federal grants, I expect this to pass. However, it's too early to predict without seeing the bond wording and proposed property tax increase. The latter vote (which I believe will have to be separate as it's required by the new 3.5% cap) will be more interesting.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Yep, I was going to make these points. In general Austin passes most bonds of any type, but the last one was even opposed by some rail supporters due to the route. And in 2000, I think the city was blindsided by a well-run opposition. And even so it was incredibly close.

20 years later, and a lot of those price-sensitive voters have been... well, priced out and probably no longer live in the city proper. And the urban population has exploded.

With the map checking most people's boxes, and the rather optimistic price tag after federal grants, I expect this to pass. However, it's too early to predict without seeing the bond wording and proposed property tax increase. The latter vote (which I believe will have to be separate as it's required by the new 3.5% cap) will be more interesting.
It'll be interesting to see how they do a vote. And if they do a bond and property tax election, or just the later.

And of course, CapMetro(unlike any other transit system in Texas) needs its own election for permission to run a rail system, completely separate from any funding questions.

Do they do those two votes (which technically cover separate jurisdictions) on the same ballot? Or do they get funding from the city first (this election) and then try to do a later vote of the entire service area while presenting it as fait accompli (and tax-free, for those outside of Austin).

Either has risks.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It'll be interesting to see how they do a vote. And if they do a bond and property tax election, or just the later.

And of course, CapMetro(unlike any other transit system in Texas) needs its own election for permission to run a rail system, completely separate from any funding questions.

Do they do those two votes (which technically cover separate jurisdictions) on the same ballot? Or do they get funding from the city first (this election) and then try to do a later vote of the entire service area while presenting it as fait accompli (and tax-free, for those outside of Austin).

Either has risks.
Wasn't the Red Line a combined funding and rail vote?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Wasn't the Red Line a combined funding and rail vote?
There was no funding component of the Red Line vote (ignoring the givebacks for the moment). It was funded out of CapMetros existing cent sales tax, no bonding or tax increase.

There also wasn’t a city vote component (there now would be).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:

If this doesn't pass, I'm moving. This is our last chance to salvage the future of this city.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
If this doesn't pass, I'm moving. This is our last chance to salvage the future of this city.
Ah well, you’d probably be replaced by ten new movers.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Rail without density (like 10k+ per sq mile) serves too few people for too much $. Code Cronk will no little to nothing to fix this, I'm sad to say. Our corridors are filled with 1 story strip malls and new 3-5 story apartment complexes....when they should be 10-12 stories. Proposed transition zones are only a couple of blocks deep and do little to add real density. If you could snap your fingers tomorrow and have the entire city built out to it's highest density, we still would not come close to Portland, Or. Our downtown LOOKS impressive, but really there are less than 25k people living downtown....even if that doubles in 10 years (it won't), that is still a drop in the bucket compared to the 1million plus on our streets.

Austin is too spread out....+ Texan's love their cars + rail cost way too much + rail does too little to reduce cars on the road + conservative voters won't vote for it = bond failure.

What has changed since the voters turned this down twice? Nothing...the burbs have outgrown the urban core, and the burbs will not vote themselves a huge tax increase (most of them are conservative compared to the urban core).

Show me the money....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin