HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 9:20 PM

"How are you doing tonight? Bianchi huh, that's a nice bike for a young man. What do you do for a living? No, no, you're not in trouble, I'm just making sure everything's all good, we've had some calls in the area."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
On another note, if anyone else in the North End (or really anywhere in the city) has suggestions for streets that would be good to have a bike lane, hit me up.
Downtown bike lanes need connections to the West End "cycling infrastructure" (North/South lanes on Sherbrook and Maryland, and one faded sharrow on St Matthews).

Interconnectivity between Centennial, Exchange, and Downtown is... pretty OK. But getting to the Sherbrook/Maryland North-South cycling lanes still has no good options. South of McDermot, there's a void from Ellen/Carlton to Sherbrook. No East-West bike lanes at all. Portage = deathwish. Sargent & Ellice = less deadly, still no concessions to cyclists. Notre Dame's bike lane stops dead at Hargrave.

The St Matthews route should get a buff, especially now that they've put all that work into the Empress section. The way it weaves in and out of being at the curb and beside the parking lane is really frustrating, especially on the many sections where the sharrow is faded and people drive in it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_man View Post
Downtown bike lanes need connections to the West End "cycling infrastructure" (North/South lanes on Sherbrook and Maryland, and one faded sharrow on St Matthews).

Interconnectivity between Centennial, Exchange, and Downtown is... pretty OK. But getting to the Sherbrook/Maryland North-South cycling lanes still has no good options. South of McDermot, there's a void from Ellen/Carlton to Sherbrook. No East-West bike lanes at all. Portage = deathwish. Sargent & Ellice = less deadly, still no concessions to cyclists. Notre Dame's bike lane stops dead at Hargrave.

The St Matthews route should get a buff, especially now that they've put all that work into the Empress section. The way it weaves in and out of being at the curb and beside the parking lane is really frustrating, especially on the many sections where the sharrow is faded and people drive in it.
This is some good feedback right here. Didn’t even consider most bike E-W bike lanes in the area don’t even reach Sherbrook besides the Assiniboine one until u pointed it out. Appreciate the response greatly!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 2:27 PM
surely you agree with me

My suggestion is to change the way we think about bike infrastructure. We have not made increasing the use of bikes as a transportation mode a priority in our choices. Most of our infrastructure investment has been in areas where cycling mode share is almost zero, and adding bike paths doesn't change that. We do it because nobody protests a strip of asphalt in the ditch beside a highway, but it does little to grow cycling. They become dog walking paths.

All of our cycling infrastructure money should be going into on-street lanes in mature neighbourhoods. These should focus on streets that have destinations and are large enough to need added safety precautions like protected lanes. Adding lanes and greenways to residential streets is a waste of money. Nobody feels unsafe riding their bike on a small residential street, but the streets that have all the places we need to go are terrifying.

It should be simple, look at the neighbourhoods where cycling is already happening and enhance it by providing safe infrastructure. You can find that information in the census. There's a reason the Wolseley-West Broadway lanes are so busy....people were already cycling there. The lanes just stoked the fire that was already burning.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 4:02 PM

^ Agreed. Reinforce success in the areas where people already bike by filling in gaps in the core. Connect destinations.

I think getting the St Mary protected lane will be one of the most important AT projects the City can take on. It's currently a nerve-wracking place to ride, and there's no East-West connection at all downtown north of the well-used Assiniboine path. The St Mary bikeway would connect to the Garry bikeway, and connect Millennium Library, Cityplace, True North Square, WAG/Quamajuq, and U of W. There are apartments all along this path, too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 4:52 PM
surely you agree with me

agreed.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 10:29 PM

I knew y'all were the right people to ask!

On another note, I might as well list the new bike infrastructure that is expected* to be constructed this summer.

North East Pioneers Greenway connection to Archibald Street
Archibald Street protected bike lane – Doucet Street to Plinquet Street
Pembina Highway protected bike lanes – McGillivray Boulevard to Chevrier Boulevard northbound
Jubilee Street / Cockburn Avenue multi-use path connections
Wellington Avenue multi-use path – Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport to Berry Street (already completed making Winnipeg one of the select few cities with a direct bike lane to the airport. Looks pretty good btw.)
Plaza Station to Bishop Grandin Crossing multi-use path
Panet Road multi-use path – Reenders Avenue to Talbot Avenue
River Avenue / Stradbrook Avenue / Wellington Crescent protected bike lanes (most important addition this year imo).
Goulet Street protected bike lane – Youville Street to Traverse Street
Keewatin Street multi-use path – Burrows Avenue to Gallagher Avenue
St. Vital Bridge multi-use path connections (2023-2025)
Harrow Street muti-use path – Taylor Avenue to Sparling Avenue multi-use path
Speers Road to Fermor Avenue multi-use path connection
Empress Street multi-use path connection to Assiniboine River multi-use path
Northwest Hydro Corridor from Leila to Selkirk Ave (highest quality infrastructure imo)

Neighbourhood greenway implementation multiple locations (2023/2024)

*With the way Public Works handles AT infrastructure its definitely not a guarantee but the list looks promising and will help flesh out the network in a lot of ways. Keep in mind none of the selected projects are apart of the Frontage Levy budget, so expect too see a lot more projects in the next few years.

Gillingham is a lot of things, but he has proven to be the most welcoming mayor to bike infrastructure so far. With Janice Lukes as the public works chair this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Even though we are a long ways away, I truly think Winnipeg is on its way to be an exceptional bike city.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
I knew y'all were the right people to ask!

On another note, I might as well list the new bike infrastructure that is expected* to be constructed this summer.

North East Pioneers Greenway connection to Archibald Street
Archibald Street protected bike lane – Doucet Street to Plinquet Street
Pembina Highway protected bike lanes – McGillivray Boulevard to Chevrier Boulevard northbound
Jubilee Street / Cockburn Avenue multi-use path connections
Wellington Avenue multi-use path – Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport to Berry Street (already completed making Winnipeg one of the select few cities with a direct bike lane to the airport. Looks pretty good btw.)
Plaza Station to Bishop Grandin Crossing multi-use path
Panet Road multi-use path – Reenders Avenue to Talbot Avenue
River Avenue / Stradbrook Avenue / Wellington Crescent protected bike lanes (most important addition this year imo).
Keewatin Street multi-use path – Burrows Avenue to Gallagher Avenue
St. Vital Bridge multi-use path connections (2023-2025)
Harrow Street muti-use path – Taylor Avenue to Sparling Avenue multi-use path
Speers Road to Fermor Avenue multi-use path connection
Empress Street multi-use path connection to Assiniboine River multi-use path
Northwest Hydro Corridor from Leila to Selkirk Ave (highest quality infrastructure imo)

Neighbourhood greenway implementation multiple locations (2023/2024)

*With the way Public Works handles AT infrastructure its definitely not a guarantee but the list looks promising and will help flesh out the network in a lot of ways. Keep in mind none of the selected projects are apart of the Frontage Levy budget, so expect too see a lot more projects in the next few years.

Gillingham is a lot of things, but he has proven to be the most welcoming mayor to bike infrastructure so far. With Janice Lukes as the public works chair this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Even though we are a long ways away, I truly think Winnipeg is on its way to be an exceptional bike city.
2 q's for you
Archibald Street protected bike lane – Doucet Street to Plinquet Street this is a very industrial busy area at peak times of the day and the roads are in deplorable condition. can you explain where this bike path is physically going?

Speers Road to Fermor Avenue multi-use path connection I went to school in that area 30+ years ago and remember cutting through the grass ditch to get across Fermor. I'm assuming this is simply formally making a patch from Crestwood Cres to Fermor where the lights are? 2 high school in area so this is much needed

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:25 PM

I wonder if that proposed AT bridge taking the Bishop Grandin trail over Pembina will ever come back? There is a good bike network through St. Vital and Fort Garry but the crossing across Pembina is long, slow and somewhat treacherous. That bridge would be a game changer in terms of improving safety, speed and simplicity.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
2 q's for you
Archibald Street protected bike lane – Doucet Street to Plinquet Street this is a very industrial busy area at peak times of the day and the roads are in deplorable condition. can you explain where this bike path is physically going?
It’s going to follow the existing multi-use path on Archibald that goes from Fermor to I think Doucet which is on the southbound part of the street. I hope it’s an actual 2-way bike path, but the pessimist in me thinks it’ll be just a multi-use path instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Speers Road to Fermor Avenue multi-use path connection I went to school in that area 30+ years ago and remember cutting through the grass ditch to get across Fermor. I'm assuming this is simply formally making a patch from Crestwood Cres to Fermor where the lights are? 2 high school in area so this is much needed
The ROW on Speers is so wide that the plans as far as I’m aware there will be a built multi-use path from Cottonwood to Fermor and upgrading the patch on Crestwood to asphalt.

And esquire in regards to a new AT bridge on Bishop Grandin Trail, let’s just say it unfortunately might take awhile.

Last edited by thebasketballgeek; Jun 22, 2023 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 12:56 AM

Quote:

...who is this for?

Quote:
With plans to connect to the Rte52 lanes that link Norwood Flats, Downtown, and Osborne via Stradbrook/River? Goulet is a good street for a bike lane, but stopping at Traverse is weird. Stops short of connecting with Tache, which links to the Esplanade, which links to Waterfront, which links to the Exchange, and stops way short of connecting to the aforementioned Rte 52 and the network attached to it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
i knew y'all were the right people to ask!

On another note, i might as well list the new bike infrastructure that is expected* to be constructed this summer.

wellington avenue multi-use path – winnipeg james armstrong richardson international airport to berry street (already completed making winnipeg one of the select few cities with a direct bike lane to the airport. Looks pretty good btw.)
...who is this for?
At least pre-pandemic (things are still getting back into gear), I used to travel for work reasonably often, and typically for just 1-3 nights. My job doesn't have much expectation for fancy suit-wearing, so I would stuff a few T-shirts/socks/underwear into my backpack. Some of my personal travel takes the same shape. I would happily bike to the airport for my flight. My main outstanding concern is bike parking, which would be resolved with a low-staffing requirement 'coat check' system.

But the real answer is the airport is a relatively large workplace, and some of their employees would probably prefer to not have to drive.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 2:48 PM

Archibald pathway will be 3m wide 2 way bike path on the east side of the street behind the curb. The road is being rehabbed and narrowed losing the east curb lane which will leave a really wide surface. There will be a separate concrete sidewalk from the pathway majority of the way.

The Goulet pathway is 2.1m wide one way bike path on the north side and will continue to Tache but this year's road contract ends at Traverse. The Goulet roadwork rehab is supposed to continue next year to Tache (separate contract) and the pathway would be part of that contract same as this year's pathway is part of this contract. City is actually planning properly and doing it in the right order with watermain renewals coordinated at the same time. I believe the idea with it being a one way pathway with the direction of traffic is that it will be mirrored in the other direction on Marion in the next phase (but that Marion part is 3/4 common sense and 1/4 speculation as I don't believe it has been contracted yet).

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
...who is this for?
I actually wonder, if you ignored everyone passing through the airport (pax, pilots, FAs) and just looked at how many people commuted to and from work at the airport, what the count would be.

You'd have the airline gate staff, everyone at security (CBSA etc), the airport staff itself, the folks on the tarmac, restaurant and retail staff, etc.

Maybe 300?

Big, but not the largest employer to not have good AT connectivity.

I'm guessing they're looking more about the areas all immediately adjoining the airport, like all the shipping companies, StandardAero, etc?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
At least pre-pandemic (things are still getting back into gear), I used to travel for work reasonably often, and typically for just 1-3 nights. My job doesn't have much expectation for fancy suit-wearing, so I would stuff a few T-shirts/socks/underwear into my backpack. Some of my personal travel takes the same shape. I would happily bike to the airport for my flight. My main outstanding concern is bike parking, which would be resolved with a low-staffing requirement 'coat check' system.

But the real answer is the airport is a relatively large workplace, and some of their employees would probably prefer to not have to drive.
Yeah, but via Wellington Ave to Berry? Does it connect to existing or planned AT at that junction? Because there's absolutely no residential in that area, not until St Matthews to the South, North of Notre Dame, and Sargent Park to the East.
The map on the City website shows some an "on-street bikeway" that goes from Berry down to Portage without connecting to anything except the Greenway going West

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 7:26 PM

Video about Dutch omafiets bikes in general, and the efforts of Winnipeg's own Plain Bicycle Project to popularize them in North America.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I actually wonder, if you ignored everyone passing through the airport (pax, pilots, FAs) and just looked at how many people commuted to and from work at the airport, what the count would be.

You'd have the airline gate staff, everyone at security (CBSA etc), the airport staff itself, the folks on the tarmac, restaurant and retail staff, etc.

Maybe 300?

Big, but not the largest employer to not have good AT connectivity.

I'm guessing they're looking more about the areas all immediately adjoining the airport, like all the shipping companies, StandardAero, etc?
That seems like probably a lowball to me. WAA alone says it has 150 employees. That doesn't include any of the CBSA, security (Garda), the retail/food staff, the people working for airlines themselves at the gates & on the tarmac, NAV Canada up in the tower, the 3rd parties that provide various airport services onsite, plus there are 2 hotels on site with however many staff.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Video about Dutch omafiets bikes in general, and the efforts of Winnipeg's own Plain Bicycle Project to popularize them in North America.
Him: "Have you ever seen a bike like this?"

Me: "yes, TrueViking rides one"

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 9:01 PM

What is it about these bikes in particular that has caused them to be so warmly embraced by some cycling enthusiasts here?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 9:10 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What is it about these bikes in particular that has caused them to be so warmly embraced by some cycling enthusiasts here?
They appear like they would be theft resistant, just based on how plain they look.

That's a big plus here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan