HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 3:18 AM

Plan for housing near Red Rock Canyon gets permit OK despite objections
Quote:
The Clark County Commission unanimously approved a permit earlier this month for developer Gypsum Resources to move forward with the first phase of its long-embattled 2,000-acre master-planned community on Blue Diamond Hill.

Though it won’t break ground on homes in the immediate future, Gypsum Resources now has the go-ahead to design roads and utilities for 280 luxury homes on 563 acres on the site of a century-old gypsum mine near Blue Diamond Hill.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 9:22 AM

Hotel with Todd English restaurant to open in Arts District
Quote:
The English Hotel, a newly built four-story property at 921 S. Main St., at Coolidge Avenue, is scheduled to open this year, General Manager Steve Dennis told the Review-Journal.

Dennis said the 74-room hotel is close to the Strip and downtown and would attract guests who, among other things, don’t want a long walk to their rooms.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 9:10 PM

This is a hugely unfortunate development pattern emerging in the valley. Single family homes being designed and built as individual rental units.

More newly built rental houses coming to Las Vegas Valley
Quote:
Avenue North founder Ryan Hartman told the Review-Journal that he aims to start construction on the 165-unit project in the next three or four months. The roughly $50 million development, along Simmons Street just south of Ann Road, sits on nearly 12 acres.

Hartman, who acquired the plot in late 2019, said the project is slated to feature single-family homes with backyards but will also include a clubhouse, fitness center and pool, like a typical apartment complex

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
This is a hugely unfortunate development pattern emerging in the valley. Single family homes being designed and built as individual rental units.

More newly built rental houses coming to Las Vegas Valley
Why is this unfortunate? I would rather have apartments pretending to be single family homes than neighborhoods bought up and rented out by blackrock.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Why is this unfortunate? I would rather have apartments pretending to be single family homes than neighborhoods bought up and rented out by blackrock.
Isn’t this the exact type of development Blackrock is buying out?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Isn’t this the exact type of development Blackrock is buying out?
Maybe but the thing people are mad about is BlackRock buying single family homes above asking and turning them into rentals, both inflating prices and eliminating housing supplies.

These are apartments that are just designed to look like a single Family neighborhood its a very different situation.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Maybe but the thing people are mad about is BlackRock buying single family homes above asking and turning them into rentals, both inflating prices and eliminating housing supplies.

These are apartments that are just designed to look like a single Family neighborhood its a very different situation.
This isn't the only project like this, though, as Las Vegas has among the worst city planning and urban design in the country. There is no reason companies need to be buying vast swaths of land/houses to build single family rental units when the need could just as easily be met with higher density development. To live in a not single family home in Las Vegas you're pretty much stuck looking at suburban appt complexes next to a major freeway or strip mall.

Also, Blackrock isn't "eliminating housing supplies" by turning them into rentals...? Rentals are housing. However, we shouldn't be building entire single family apartment neighborhoods that could house as many people as a single multifamily building. Zoning that encourages this type of development and bans other development (which is the case in LV) is directly contributing to the rapid warming of Las Vegas and obscene water usage. Again I'm speaking on this type of development and not necessarily this specific project; it would be a different story if the market simply demanded these kinds of units but that isn't the case. It's all that can be built.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 12:04 AM

County OKs new retail project on Strip
Quote:
County leaders on Wednesday gave the green light for developer Brett Torino’s plan to build a retail complex at the southwest corner of Las Vegas Boulevard and Harmon Avenue, next to luxury mall Shops at Crystals. According to county documents, the project is expected to span 228,278 square feet, feature 21 leasable spaces, and include outdoor dining and drinking areas on the fourth floor.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:56 AM

The B1M: Las Vegas is Building the World’s Largest Sphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOn8qwLJzA

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 5:05 AM

Is there any actual work happening on the Drew? I was in Vegas this summer and it looked like it was abandoned. I know it recently changed hands - again. Just wondering if there were actual timelines and if its 'serious' this time. From looking at it - there seems to be exposed steel in areas - how long until this thing has to be taken down if nothing happens with it? It is quite massive - but reading up on its history was very interesting and disappointing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Is there any actual work happening on the Drew? I was in Vegas this summer and it looked like it was abandoned. I know it recently changed hands - again. Just wondering if there were actual timelines and if its 'serious' this time. From looking at it - there seems to be exposed steel in areas - how long until this thing has to be taken down if nothing happens with it? It is quite massive - but reading up on its history was very interesting and disappointing.
It has looked pretty much the same since I was in elementary school and it looks like it won't complete until after I graduate college

As of late 2019, the project was slated to comprise three hotels: a JW Marriott, an outpost of Marriott's high-end Edition brand and a property called the Reserve by Drew. It seems to be on track for JW Marriot's 4th quarter 2023 opening. However, the county has began monitoring month-to-month progress and given them a year to clean the site up (I assume on the ground level/cosmetic updates) and make more room for pedestrians.

Clark County to Fontainbleau's new owners: Clean it up

JW Marriot Las Vegas Blvd Website

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 8:36 PM

Nuro Building Las Vegas Factory, Test Track For Electric Delivery Robots
Quote:
The assembly facility and test track will employ 250 people and generate as much as $2.2 billion in economic benefits for Nevada in its first ten years, according to an estimate from the governor’s Office of Economic Development.

Nuro said it’s taking over 74 acres at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway to set up its test track, which will help train its robotic vehicles to avoid harming pedestrians, pets, bicyclists and other vehicles. It will also be used for environmental tests and to validate vehicle systems.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 8:40 PM

Las Vegas Loop station proposed for UNLV as tunnel plans keep growing
Quote:
Current diagrams of the 30-mile tunnel system proposed to go through downtown Las Vegas, the Strip and parts of the southwest valley also include a spur down Tropicana Avenue to McCarran International Airport — and an ideal connection to the UNLV campus.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 8:48 PM

Hopefully this means there will be robot wars soon!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 9:01 PM

Why Las Vegas Multifamily Is On a Roll
Quote:
Decatur Commons, 480 units (Expected August 2022)
Elysian at Centennial Hills, 306 units (Expected January 2022)
Elysian at Tivoli, 359 units (Expected September 2021)
Auric at Symphony Park, 324 units (Expected November 2021)
Parc Haven, 290 units (Expected October 2021)
UnCommons, 850 units (Expected early 2022)

These projects are pretty shitty by most standards, but given Las Vegas has like no other multifamily development I guess this is a good sign. Auric Symphony Park is probably the best one because of its location. Seriously though, why do affordable housing projects demand vast parking lots?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 9:26 PM

Las Vegas Gazes Inward And Sees New Frontier For Housing
Quote:
Las Vegas Councilman Brian Knudsen told State of Nevada that much of the city is landlocked and it needs to start growing up as well as out.

“We don't have enough housing right now, just in the city of Las Vegas alone, we're short 50,000 units,” he said. “The water authority tells us that structures that are four stories or higher are going to be far more efficient for water. And so that's really where we're going to go in the city of Las Vegas, allowing for that density.”
Really refreshing to hear local leaders speaking of density.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 8:49 PM

$200M, 614-unit apartment project slated for site in southwest Las Vegas
Quote:
Like other apartment developers in the valley, Deters plans to have plenty of amenities at his project. He said that it would feature a 12,000-square-foot clubhouse with a high-end gym and that the complex’s first phase would have a pool area with cabanas, a beer garden, and an outdoor workout facility.

Site

Rendering

https://trudevco.com/projects/kaktuslife-the-curve/
Additional Renderings

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 4:47 AM

Allegiant Stadium

I hate to rain on a parade, but I thought I should post something here. I was fortunate enought to be in Las Vegas again this weekend (I LOVE Las Vegas). I attended the BYU/Arizona game at the new Allegiant Stadium. Once inside, the stadium is fantastic, beautiful, terrific. I had this pulled pork with mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. Absolutely fantastic. But... but getting there, getting in, and then getting out, was a nightmare. The escalators and stairwells are just not sufficient. It's really kind of inexcusable for a brand new stadium. They aren't marked well. Getting out of the stadium at half time was impossible without asking. It makes sense that the escalators are running in the up direction while people are entering the facility and then reversed once people start to leave - at a high level that makes sense. But the stairwells aren't marked with anything more than "Exit." And once in the stairwell there is no signage telling you where you are or where to go. I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if there were an active shooter?? Where would people go and how would they know to get there?

The transportation to and from the stadium was also far less than what I would have expected from Las Vegas. There is really no good way to get there. The Uber/Taxi line from my hotel was ridiculous and the tram from NY NY to Mandalay Bay still requires that you walk a substantial distance to get to the stadium. There was a large man who was really having a hard time walking in the heat. I was shocked that the City thought that that was a solution in any way, shape or form.

I have been thinking about all the games it would be fun to attend while visiting the City at the same time, but I wouldn't do that again. Not ever.

They need to come up with a solution to that and fast. This is just honest feedback.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionForm View Post
I have been thinking about all the games it would be fun to attend while visiting the City at the same time, but I wouldn't do that again. Not ever.

They need to come up with a solution to that and fast. This is just honest feedback.
Unfortunately the city doesn't really see it as a problem and it's been this way for so long that very few locals and tourists see the problem. The airport isn't even connected to the strip in any meaningful way. The only thing on the horizon is potentially The Boring Company's Loop system.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 10:25 PM

East Las Vegas affordable housing development to expand
Quote:
Developers have broken ground on Desert Oasis II, a planned 43-unit apartment complex built and operated by nonprofit Volunteers of America National Services. It will add to the existing 75 senior housing units at Desert Oasis I, 4445 Diamond Head Drive. Developers hope to open in fall 2022.
Good to see more affordable housing, of course, but this really doesn't solve that many problems in the grand scheme of things. These affordable developments are built in the most suburban way possible and are near nothing but fast food and giant, dangerous roads. Just doesn't make sense to have already low-income people NEEDING a car to get places (but it's better than nothing).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest