HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 12:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Indeed. what is the boobs tower on the left?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 3:58 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^Indeed. what is the boobs tower on the left?
That would be the TD Canada Trust centre. Although I've also heard it referred to before as the Dolly Parton building.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:00 PM

halifax in july.

by me

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 7:37 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^I've never seen one of our naval vessels painted in that blue and white color scheme. Usually they're a drab light grayish color. Do you know what ship that was?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 8:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's the HMCS Sackville, a WWII-era corvette no longer in service.

The painting scheme is "dazzle camouflage" of the type they tried out during WWI (maybe still used during WWII? was this the original painting style?). The idea behind it, I believe, was that it would make it difficult to see the different parts of the ship to target vulnerable areas.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 12:59 AM

taken today by me:

original size here:
http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/42311818.jpg

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:47 AM

That last pano of Halifax is, in the words of Pope John Paul II, bitchin'.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 3:03 AM
Website Manager

Halifax is getting a table top skyline.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Halifax is getting a table top skyline.
Looks like it but thats what a steep hill does for tall buildings near the waterfront. The tallest building downtown barely even pokes above the Citadel.

If any of the proposals go ahead it shouldn't be as flat in a few years. There's four 15-30 storeys for the centre part of the photo (above the Canada flag roughly), a 17 storey for the background, a 12 storey starting soon for far left waterfront, and a 22 storey for just left of Purdy's Wharf.

A quick count in my head puts about 10 different projects that would change the look of this photo if they're built.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:28 AM

two other Halifax panos from 2 weeks ago....

original size

original size

both are my own

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:00 PM
Urban Fanactic

Halifax Domination

The only place that I would like to go in the maritimes. Has a nice skyline and very nice scenery along the coast.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:49 PM
Website Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
If any of the proposals go ahead it shouldn't be as flat in a few years. There's four 15-30 storeys for the centre part of the photo (above the Canada flag roughly), a 17 storey for the background, a 12 storey starting soon for far left waterfront, and a 22 storey for just left of Purdy's Wharf.

What I mean by a table-top skyline is that all of the towers max out at about the same height, and there are quite a few of them. Therefore the high points of the skyline are all in line with each other. This is the same thing Vancouver suffers from (other than the one tallest building). What Halifax needs to do is break above the 30 storey limit with some new buildings.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 8:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are a few of reasons for this. The first are the very lame viewplanes and "ramparts" bylaws. These are taken from the top of Citadel Hill so they require that either building heights be roughly equal (in terms of elevation) as they go up the hill or that the buildings get taller closer to the water and farther away from the Citadel.

A much more attractive and efficient setup, in my opinion, would be to have building heights roughly similar or slightly taller as they went up the hill. This would allow more people to have views and would be more attractive. Unfortunately, for some reason, the abstract idea of being able to stand in an old fort without seeing modern buildings is more important than the functioning city around it.

Another issue is that buildings seem to be most economical in Halifax in the 12-19 storey range. About a dozen of these have been built over the past few years. The only new 30 storey building is being built in Dartmouth, which has only a few 20 storey buildings and no "tabletop" effect.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 12:50 AM
Website Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
for some reason, the abstract idea of being able to stand in an old fort without seeing modern buildings is more important than the functioning city around it
that's a good way to put it

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
Halifax Domination

The only place that I would like to go in the maritimes. Has a nice skyline and very nice scenery along the coast.
The maritimes are chock full of nice scenery along the coast. Fr'instance: Cape Breton Island, Prince Edward Island, Kouchibouguac and Fundy Parks (New Brunswick).

And there is Newfoundland (which I have yet to visit).

Last edited by MolsonExport; Oct 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:40 PM

I'm told St. John's is a great little city, a real urban fabric with lots of history and uniqueness. Saint John is a fine city too.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:40 PM

^ St. John's is the best out of the bunch.

The Avalon Peninsula was just named the World's Best Coastal Destination

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 7:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The maritimes are chock full of nice scenery along the coast. Fr'instance: Cape Breton Island, Prince Edward Island, Kouchibouguac and Fundy Parks (New Brunswick).
Even on a relatively short trip you can visit many parts of the Maritimes because they are so small. For example, PEI is 3 hours from Halifax. The South Shore and Annapolis Valley are an hour away. Bay of Fundy scenery is 2-4 hours. Cape Breton and Saint John are 4-5 hours.

If you want a really fun day of driving you can try to make it to Quebec City or Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 9:17 PM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Even on a relatively short trip you can visit many parts of the Maritimes because they are so small. For example, PEI is 3 hours from Halifax. The South Shore and Annapolis Valley are an hour away. Bay of Fundy scenery is 2-4 hours. Cape Breton and Saint John are 4-5 hours.

If you want a really fun day of driving you can try to make it to Quebec City or Montreal.
I drive from Montreal to PEI and back at least once a year. The total driving time is approximately 11 hours. Trying to drive to PEI in one day can be really tough (lose an hour, more packing, etc.), but coming back in one day is a lot easier (gain an hour, not quite as much packing to do, etc). I imagine that Halifax must be in the 12 or 13 hour range.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 10:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I drive from Montreal to PEI and back at least once a year. The total driving time is approximately 11 hours. Trying to drive to PEI in one day can be really tough (lose an hour, more packing, etc.), but coming back in one day is a lot easier (gain an hour, not quite as much packing to do, etc). I imagine that Halifax must be in the 12 or 13 hour range.
Yep.

One sad thing is that the highway and railway system in the Maritimes is pretty inefficient in that neither follows the shortest paths. PEI or Halifax to Montreal is approximately 800 km as the crow flies, but the standard highway route is nearly 1250 km because it takes a detour through Northern NB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada