HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 8:32 PM

As part of Waverley West, Waverley will take a swing to the west and connect into an extended Kenaston. The existing Waverley/Perimeter intersection will be closed. So in the end, it will net out to no additional crossings. The new Kenaston crossing would be signalized in Phase 1 and future grade-separated.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
More traffic lights on the Perimeter?
Is it three sets of lights within a kilometre on the busiest stretch of the Perimeter?

Because, um, we did that here...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metonymy View Post
As part of Waverley West, Waverley will take a swing to the west and connect into an extended Kenaston. The existing Waverley/Perimeter intersection will be closed. So in the end, it will net out to no additional crossings. The new Kenaston crossing would be signalized in Phase 1 and future grade-separated.
We will see about that...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:28 PM

NEWS RELEASE
CHAMBER LAUNCHES BUSINESS CALL TEAM

Morrissey: Goal is to Generate Potential Business Leads for Winnipeg

January 20, 2009 (Winnipeg) – Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Senior Vice-President Bill Morrissey
formally launched a major initiative as part of the Selling Winnipeg to the World process today that is
intended to attract more businesses to Winnipeg and ensure the success of existing ones.
“Over the course of the next two months members of The Chamber’s Business Call Team will be
contacting Winnipeg CEOs and business leaders directly,” said Morrissey “The intent of those calls and
meetings is to tap into the intelligence that resides within the business community and generate potential
business leads and to also find out what barriers exist to further expansion of their own companies.”
The Chamber’s Business Call Team is made up of 25 high profile volunteer members of the business
community who will be visiting with the presidents and senior managers of 125 companies. Any leads
generated from those meetings will be followed up and direct contact made with those potential
companies to ensure they are aware of the opportunities that exist in Winnipeg.
“We all agree that Winnipeg is a tremendous place to live and do business,” said Laura Kwiatkowksi,
General Manager – Midwest of Rogers Communications Inc. and Business Call Team member. “The
problem is that we have never been proactive enough in telling the rest of the world about the advantages
that exist in Manitoba.”
“This process will also help us communicate the great things that are happening in Winnipeg” said Derek
Johannson of Carlyle Printers, Service and Supplies Ltd. “In addition we will be seeking input from those
business leaders into which sectors should be included in a uniquely Winnipeg economic strategy.”
Morrissey concluded that the Business Call Team which is funded by the Province of Manitoba and The
Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce is just one of the key ingredients in The Chamber’s Selling Winnipeg to
the World initiative and that any member of the business community is also invited to bring forward any
potential business leads they may have. More information on the initiative can be found at
www.winnipeg-chamber.com.

The Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, founded in 1873, represents almost 2,100 businesses and is the
leading organization representing the voice of business in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 11:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow what a beutifulll day it was today just got back from a 4hr walk

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:19 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Man stabbed to death at a home on Bannerman

Updated: Wed Jan. 21 2009 11:08:31

ctvwinnipeg.ca

A 38-year-old man is dead after being stabbed at a home on Bannerman Avenue.

The attack happened shortly after midnight Wednesday morning in the 500 block of Bannerman.

Police say when they arrived on scene they found the victim with wounds to his upper body.

He was rushed to hospital but later died from his injuries.

The Homicide Unit is investigating the killing, and at this point details are scarce.

Police have not said if they have made an arrest in the death or if suspects are at large.
I woke up this morning to catch my bus and the side walk was closed off. I come home and read the ctv site and see a guy was stabbed to death. I live only a few houses away.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 2:02 PM

I'm riding the fence on this one. Where was Gorden Bell and all politicians when this piece of land first came available? I think greenspace would be great for here and for the community and for the school kids

Rally set for Friday at Gorden Bell field: Nick Martin

1:00 AM | Comments (0)
Print E–mail ShareThisEDUCATION Minister Peter Bjornson has promised to ask provincial cabinet for 'one-off' funding to convert a former car dealership into an athletic field for Gordon Bell High School, MP Pat Martin said Wednesday.
"The minister is willing to go to cabinet -- all he needs is a number on the price," said Martin (NDP-Winnipeg Centre).

But an aide to Bjornson said "There are no such assurances," and there wouldn't be until Bjornson sees a specific proposal with costs attached.

The former dealership site at Broadway and Portage Avenue is slated to become a new Canada Post facility, but community activists are trying to persuade the federal agency to look elsewhere. Gordon Bell students, parents, grads and community supporters will rally at the site Friday at 12:15 p.m.

"This is an inner-city school with no facilities," Martin said. "We've been directly to the minister of education and the head of the public schools finance board (executive director Rick Dedi).

"Both of them are saying this is a one-off" that would not bump any school division that's been waiting years for money for capital projects, he said.

Bjornson's aide said the minister will be following the process, and that begins with a specific proposal being put on the table.

"The minister is generally supportive of the initiative. Generally, we're supportive of the ideas and effort by the community group," said the aide.

Martin said he met Tuesday with Alberta Tory MP Rob Merrifield, a junior minister responsible for Canada Post. Merrifield said he would ask for a briefing from Canada Post and get back to him by early next week, Martin said. He said Canada Post had seemed open to a land swap, until he got a call from a communications person who said the project would proceed at Broadway and Portage. "That's when we upped the ante by going to the minister (Merrifield).

"I don't believe there's no suitable sites," said Martin. While acknowledging that naming sites could affect the price, he said there is land on Sherbrook Street and the site on Ellice Avenue that Safeway will vacate. "We don't have time to be subtle here," he said.

Martin said the site should be able to accommodate a standard high school field plus running track, if the tiny side street Borrowman Street, between the dealership and the high school, gets closed. Winnipeg School Division board chairman John Orlikow said trustees support the concept, but have not received any formal proposal. The still-unknown amount of money for trading land and converting the site into an athletic field would all have to come from the province, he said.

"This has never been done before" on such a large scale, Orlikow said.

nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 2:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

its the school devisions desision they don't want to spend money on it

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:29 PM
Movin' on up

Cosmetics retailer coming to city
By: Geoff Kirbyson
Winnipeg Free Press

ONE of the world's largest cosmetics retailers is coming to Winnipeg.
Sephora, the France-based chain of beauty stores with more than 750 locations in 21 countries, has signed a lease to take over the 6,000-square-foot space at Polo Park Shopping Centre recently vacated by Tommy Hilfiger.

Marie Marchives, vice-president of Sephora Canada, said its May opening in Winnipeg is part of a countrywide expansion that will take the company from 12 stores today to 50 in a few years.

"I visited Winnipeg last year and I didn't see anything that looks like us. I think it's a good city for Sephora," she said.

Marchives, who moved from France two years ago to oversee the Canadian expansion, said half of its cosmetics, makeup and fragrances are exclusive to Sephora and can't be found at any other retailer. She said the company targets both men and women throughout the entire life cycle.

"Our clients start at 15 years old up to 70. We're not a destination only for 30-year-old clients," she said.

Marchives said the complete absence of counters in Sephora stores makes it easier for customers, particularly ill-at-ease men, to shop.

"That's so the client can try everything. It's freedom. They can play with the product, try them and test them," she said.

Even though the store won't open for four months, Marchives said she plans to have a store manager hired by the end of the week and 25 employees in short order after that.

"We'll give them more than two months of training. We'll train them in every single brand, product and in client service," she said.

Deborah Green, general manager of Polo Park Shopping Centre, said Sephora will complement recent arrivals to the city's largest mall, such as Lululemon Athletica, Quiksilver, Town Shoes and Lucky Brand Jeans.

"I think they'll have a citywide draw, probably provincewide. We're very excited to have them," she said.

Robert Warren, I.H. Asper executive director for entrepreneurship at the University of Manitoba, agreed. He said Sephora is a good fit for Polo Park because it's higher-end, fashion-oriented and with a good reputation. He said news of its arrival is a nice counter to the non-stop doom and gloom media coverage of the economy.

Warren said Sephora will also fill something of a void in Winnipeg as the city is underserved in the cosmetics sector.

"There's much more emphasis on targeting different ethnic groups (in cosmetics) today and Winnipeg is very ethnically diverse," he said.

Warren said cosmetics for men is the up-and-coming market, but both sexes have increased the amount of money spent on moisturizers, colognes and perfumes in recent years.

"We're spending much more time looking good these days," he said.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:29 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Cosmetics retailer coming to city
By: Geoff Kirbyson
Winnipeg Free Press

ONE of the world's largest cosmetics retailers is coming to Winnipeg.
Sephora, the France-based chain of beauty stores with more than 750 locations in 21 countries, has signed a lease to take over the 6,000-square-foot space at Polo Park Shopping Centre recently vacated by Tommy Hilfiger.

Marie Marchives, vice-president of Sephora Canada, said its May opening in Winnipeg is part of a countrywide expansion that will take the company from 12 stores today to 50 in a few years.

"I visited Winnipeg last year and I didn't see anything that looks like us. I think it's a good city for Sephora," she said.

Marchives, who moved from France two years ago to oversee the Canadian expansion, said half of its cosmetics, makeup and fragrances are exclusive to Sephora and can't be found at any other retailer. She said the company targets both men and women throughout the entire life cycle.

"Our clients start at 15 years old up to 70. We're not a destination only for 30-year-old clients," she said.

Marchives said the complete absence of counters in Sephora stores makes it easier for customers, particularly ill-at-ease men, to shop.

"That's so the client can try everything. It's freedom. They can play with the product, try them and test them," she said.

Even though the store won't open for four months, Marchives said she plans to have a store manager hired by the end of the week and 25 employees in short order after that.

"We'll give them more than two months of training. We'll train them in every single brand, product and in client service," she said.

Deborah Green, general manager of Polo Park Shopping Centre, said Sephora will complement recent arrivals to the city's largest mall, such as Lululemon Athletica, Quiksilver, Town Shoes and Lucky Brand Jeans.

"I think they'll have a citywide draw, probably provincewide. We're very excited to have them," she said.

Robert Warren, I.H. Asper executive director for entrepreneurship at the University of Manitoba, agreed. He said Sephora is a good fit for Polo Park because it's higher-end, fashion-oriented and with a good reputation. He said news of its arrival is a nice counter to the non-stop doom and gloom media coverage of the economy.

Warren said Sephora will also fill something of a void in Winnipeg as the city is underserved in the cosmetics sector.

"There's much more emphasis on targeting different ethnic groups (in cosmetics) today and Winnipeg is very ethnically diverse," he said.

Warren said cosmetics for men is the up-and-coming market, but both sexes have increased the amount of money spent on moisturizers, colognes and perfumes in recent years.

"We're spending much more time looking good these days," he said.
I was trying to figure out who that was.. got the mall memo on that. Now that explains it more.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:38 AM

i can just see h&m and zara moving into polo now then we're about on par with 80% of the world's malls...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 6:09 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
i can just see h&m and zara moving into polo now then we're about on par with 80% of the world's malls...
Still the Safeway space with is yet to be determined. London Drugs. Maybe.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:22 PM

My guess is they will subdivide the Safeway into smaller units for retail stores. Might make a good spot for an H&M or Zara.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 7:50 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
MTS Centre makes top 20 list

Big-ticket acts like Cirque du Soleil and Elton John pushed Winnipeg’s MTS Centre into the top-20 busiest venues in the world and made it third-busiest in Canada in 2008, according a recent industry poll.

In its annual list of the top 100 venues in the world based on ticket sales, leading entertainment industry publication PollStar Magazine placed the MTS Centre nineteenth overall with 385,427 tickets sold, putting it above venues in much larger cities like Philadelphia, Chicago, Mexico City.

Senior Vice-President and General Manager Kevin Donnelly attributed the MTS Centre’s success to its ability to adjust to fit shows of different sizes and to the fact that many larger cities have multiple venues that compete with each other.

The only Canadian venues that beat the MTS Centre were the Air Canada Centre in Toronto (fifth) and the Bell Centre in Montreal (sixth).
Again, good news. [Insert lack of competing venue inflating numbers here]

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

those numbers don't include hockey aparently

and somthing like 5 1/2 million people have have bought tickets there since opening err according to the stats given on cjob from one of the officials at mts center

so i would say a nhl team would be prity dam succesfull here

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:24 PM

the succes of the MTS Centre and the CanWest Global ball park couldn't never have happened without some help from the gov't. screw you people who are against this kind of development.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 10:22 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Floodway Expansion Almost Complete

1/22/2009 | CJOB 680 AM

The Province says Winnipeg is well protected from any massive flood like the one that almost swamped the city in 1997.

Expansion work on the Floodway which began in 2005, is set to be completed by the end of this March. Doug McNeil is Vice President of Engineering and Construction for the Manitoba Floodway Authority. He says the work was well worth it.

McNeil appeared Thursday before the City's Riverbank Management Committee at City Hall.

CJOB's Clay Young reporting.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 2:30 PM

CITY OF WPG WATER SUPPLY PRIVATIZATION

I'm actually for the privatization of our water system and selling it to the outlying communities who are in dire needs of a safe, reliable water supply and thus reducing my water costs. I should go to this and heckle!

I had this emailed to me

Is Winnipeg Winnipeg’s ’s Water being Privatized?Public Event to Address the Threat of Privatizing Winnipeg’s Water

Presentation by Tony Clarke

Polaris Institute and co-author of Blue Gold
(with Maude Marlow, Council of Canadians)

Friday January 30th - 5:30 pm
Winnipeg Millennium Library
Carol Shields Room
(on second floor - access from Skywalk)

Winnipeg City Council has started to break down the water
and waste water treatment system in Winnipeg. This will open
up the utility to private profit, rather than keeping it a public
resource.
Come to find out what is happening and what we as citizens
can do about this dangerous change in how we use our water.
A light lunch and refreshments will be provided.
Tony has followed the issue of public water in Canada and has written extensively about the risks of privatization. Other speakers
will deal with the local situation and what Winnipeg City Council did in November to raise concerns among community groups.
Sponsored by: Canadian Organization for Development and Peace, Canadian Labour Congress, Canadian Federation of Students,
Manitoba EcoNetwork, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Winnipeg Citizens’ Coalition, Council of Canadians, Winnipeg
Labour Council and the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 500.

For more information, call 942 0343 go to www.cupe500.mb.ca or e-mail cupemb@mts.net

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 2:59 PM

Heard on the news that Paul Hesse is not going to run in River Heights after all. John Orlikow is. Hesse is a Liberal - is Orlikow NDP?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
CITY OF WPG WATER SUPPLY PRIVATIZATION

I'm actually for the privatization of our water system and selling it to the outlying communities who are in dire needs of a safe, reliable water supply and thus reducing my water costs. I should go to this and heckle!

I had this emailed to me

Is Winnipeg Winnipeg’s ’s Water being Privatized?Public Event to Address the Threat of Privatizing Winnipeg’s Water

Presentation by Tony Clarke

Polaris Institute and co-author of Blue Gold
(with Maude Marlow, Council of Canadians)

Friday January 30th - 5:30 pm
Winnipeg Millennium Library
Carol Shields Room
(on second floor - access from Skywalk)

Winnipeg City Council has started to break down the water
and waste water treatment system in Winnipeg. This will open
up the utility to private profit, rather than keeping it a public
resource.
Come to find out what is happening and what we as citizens
can do about this dangerous change in how we use our water.
A light lunch and refreshments will be provided.
Tony has followed the issue of public water in Canada and has written extensively about the risks of privatization. Other speakers
will deal with the local situation and what Winnipeg City Council did in November to raise concerns among community groups.
Sponsored by: Canadian Organization for Development and Peace, Canadian Labour Congress, Canadian Federation of Students,
Manitoba EcoNetwork, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Winnipeg Citizens’ Coalition, Council of Canadians, Winnipeg
Labour Council and the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 500.

For more information, call 942 0343 go to www.cupe500.mb.ca or e-mail cupemb@mts.net
I agree with selling water services to surrounding communities, but I am against privatization. Why would I want to give some private company more money for the resource that is currently being provided. What levels of accountability would be in place if privitization did occur? How does privatization of this type of resource generate cost efficiencies, other then potentially canning union employees. If it will reduce beuraucratic costs that's great then just implement that cost saving measure in our current system.

I see no benefit and a number of potential pitfalls. Lets keep this in the hands of the city and let them generate some profits off of it by selling service to surrounding areas. The more money the city makes the less my taxes have to go up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan