HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 8:39 PM
Bionic Boogie

^ this is ridiculous...6 years and barely anything .....
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Patience grasshopper.

BTW, you have been busy these past couple of days!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thskyscraper View Post
Ah! The first crane is going up. Cool.

Yeah, I just happened to notice that. A tower in the center of that pic is being erected for the first crane.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

Barely anything, but construction in ground zero only started last year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 2:11 PM
Bionic Boogie

^
I know, I know, i am just so excited about this..yet to me it seems to be crawling at a snail's pace at the NYC marathon!!!
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 5:14 PM

in the last pic of the bunch.... not the one with the crane.... but the one with the workers in blue... are they standing in part of the original foundation of the wtc?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 7:41 PM
Rebuild the Twin Towers!

When will we start to see some building?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 8:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonnell77 View Post
When will we start to see some building?

When it rises, no doubt...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 8:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Port Authority photos from last month...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 8:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Overall sight construction...(Port Authority)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 12:52 AM
Frigidus Maximus

The Record

A jampacked future rises at Ground Zero
Wednesday, April 11, 2007

By DAVID A. MICHAELS
STAFF WRITER

Only last fall, this hallowed ground was a hollow place.

Private developers and government officials were still negotiating how to build and pay for the World Trade Center's renewal. On an island where towers sprout like cornstalks, Ground Zero remained the bare patch.

But on Tuesday, as Port Authority officials toured the site, they could point to the signs of renewal: concrete walls that mark the boundaries of the World Trade Center Memorial, steel columns and tower cranes that will permit construction of the Freedom Tower, and a plan to incorporate the Trade Center's original slurry wall into the memorial.

"Clearly there has been a shift of momentum to the positive," said Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia.

Even so, rebuilding remains a challenge, officials said. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is managing the construction of the memorial and the Freedom Tower, is fitting more into the 16 acres than previously existed. The project also must accommodate PATH trains and a new transportation hub.

"This is a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle," said Steven Plate, the Port Authority's director of construction at the site. "It is probably the most complex project I've seen in my entire life."

About 300 orange-vested workers ply their trades inside the crater, known as the "bathtub," as trucks trundle up and down a long ramp.

The 10-acre memorial, which will begin rising later this year, requires 4,000 cubic yards of concrete and 11,000 tons of steel. When complete, the $500 million memorial will feature a plaza with two reflecting pools where the Twin Towers stood. Visitors will walk among 418 trees and 100 benches.

Museum exhibits will be underneath the plaza, where the authority is making an effort to expose between 20 and 62 feet of the slurry wall, which holds back the Hudson River, and its giant steel supports, known as tie-downs.

A road, Fulton Street, will separate the memorial from the Freedom Tower, scheduled to be open by 2011. The skyscraper's foundation is in place, as are 14 steel columns that rise 60 feet on the site's northern edge. Twenty-seven columns will be in place by the end of spring.

The authority is building the tower at time when construction costs are soaring. Cost estimates for both the Freedom Tower and the PATH hub have risen. The authority is working with architect Santiago Calatrava to scale back some features of the PATH hub and keep it within its original budget.

"We're going to have to manage our way through it," Port Authority Executive Director Anthony Shorris said.

Three other skyscrapers, built by developer Larry Silverstein, are planned for the site. By 2013, they will occupy the eastern edge.

Fund-raising for the memorial has been encouraging, said Joseph C. Daniels, president of the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation. The foundation has raised $253 million of the $350 million it intends to collect. The Port Authority and the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. are funding the rest.

"The public is investing in this project because they see all the progress," Daniels said. "They see we are building what we said we would build."

What's next

• The Port Authority will award contracts for the steel for the memorial within two months.

• In late 2007 or early 2008, steel for the memorial will begin rising, bringing the project up to street level.

• The authority will build a new slurry wall on the site's western edge to keep water from seeping in.

E-mail: michaels@northjersey.com

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 12:56 AM
Frigidus Maximus

The Star Ledger

P.A. expects to begin building 9/11 memorial this year
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
BY RON MARSICO
Star-Ledger Staff
Steel girders to form the base of the 9/11 memorial should start rising by year's end from the depths of Ground Zero, officials with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said yesterday.

About 2,000 cubic yards of concrete already has been poured for the foundation, including shear walls for support and footings, agency officials said. About 50 construction workers have been dedicated to the project, slated for completion in 2009. A memorial museum is expected to open the following year.

"In April of last year, we were still arguing about who would build it, how we would pay for it," said Anthony Coscia, chairman of the Port Authority. "In one year, that's a pretty dramatic turn."

Last year, officials announced they were capping the costs for the memorial at $510 million, with another $178 million for infrastructure improvements. The Port Authority agreed to contribute up to $195 million toward those costs. Private fundraising also has been ongoing.

Coscia's comments are part of an ongoing effort by the bistate agency to provide updates about Ground Zero, now that visible progress has been made on the long- stalled redevelopment of the former World Trade Center site. The Port Authority also is in charge of the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, the site's signature structure, and the permanent PATH rail hub that will provide connections to subways and ferries in Lower Manhattan.

Last year, after protracted delays and acrimony, the Port Authority and the site's lease-holder, Larry Silverstein, renegotiated redevelopment plans to give the agency control of the Freedom Tower and Silverstein rights to three other skyscrapers. Subse quently, the Port Authority also took control of the 9/11 memorial, which will pay homage to the nearly 3,000 people killed in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Though scaled back to contain costs, architect Michael Arad's design, "Reflecting Absence," still calls for two reflecting pools with waterfalls to symbolize the voids where the Twin Towers once stood. Controversy continues to surround the official decision to arrange the names of victims on the memorial randomly.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 6:38 PM
low-riding

ladies and gentleman. I may be wrong. Its happened before. Am I looking at... the beginnings of the central core!!!!

3/11/07

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:06 PM
low-riding

and some more shots. Pardon the quality, some were shot through a safety netting.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:07 PM
low-riding

plus the area of the memorial

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:47 PM
BANNED

I always was with the oppinion America is fast doing something, but it is not the case this building. Seems to be in Africa built. Do they or not have the technology doing it faster??? Or they want to remember the Ground zero forever? How lazy is that.... I can't believe.... What the hell those guys are waiting for to raise this shit up?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:41 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
ladies and gentleman. I may be wrong. Its happened before. Am I looking at... the beginnings of the central core!!!!
Scruff. Im no engineer but that is the central concrete core you're looking at and that is a crane for the Freedom Tower, which indicates that we will see real activity very shortly. The crane will be there for the long-haul and will rise with the core. The kangaroo crane is not a new concept for the WTC, the original WTC had four set in the central core, which was made of steel compared to the concrete core of the Freedom Tower.

I never use icons.

But....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 10:39 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmillenium View Post
I always was with the oppinion America is fast doing something, but it is not the case this building. Seems to be in Africa built. Do they or not have the technology doing it faster??? Or they want to remember the Ground zero forever? How lazy is that.... I can't believe.... What the hell those guys are waiting for to raise this shit up?
If they build it IMMEDIATELY as a replacement to the World Trade Center then it becomes a target again. The longer it takes and less attention for the WTC "re-development", the less these so called terrorists and others will consider it a replacement, and therefore less likely to consider it another target. I may be wrong but ive always had a suspicion that the delays were possibly for this reason. PLZ this is my opinion and its prob wrong but just an idea.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 10:49 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
If they build it IMMEDIATELY as a replacement to the World Trade Center then it becomes a target again. The longer it takes and less attention for the WTC "re-development", the less these so called terrorists and others will consider it a replacement, and therefore less likely to consider it another target. I may be wrong but ive always had a suspicion that the delays were possibly for this reason. PLZ this is my opinion and its prob wrong but just an idea.
That's not the reason. Once construction started it has been on schedule, it take awhile to complete the foundations of a supertall building.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 10:52 PM

Sorry... purposely delaying does not make sense

PANYNJ would NOT purposely delay construction especially when construction costs are rising 1-2% per month AND they must meet their contractual deadlines for Silverstein by completing the eastern bathtub for towers 2-4 or face HEAVY fines starting daily after the deadline.

It is in PANYNJ's interest to complete the construction as quickly as possible to save money and time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive