HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 1:55 AM

LSU Hospital

A federal arbitration panel awarded Louisiana $475 million Wednesday for hurricane-related damage to Charity Hospital, ending a long-standing dispute with federal authorities and providing a major boost to the state's efforts to build a new teaching hospital in lower Mid-City.

The six-page ruling by the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals hands the state a landmark victory over the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which had valued the hurricane damage at $124 million and offered to settle the case for $150 million.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index....pital_pla.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 4:59 AM

Now that the state has the money, there is no way Charity becomes a hospital again. I'm ambivalent either way, but just glad to see the fighting between the state and FEMA finally come to an end. It will be interesting to see what becomes of Big Charity. It's a huge building in a great location.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:02 AM
TL;DR

^^ Except that the state's plan still costs $1.2 billion, and the state only has $300 million to chip in. That leaves a $400 million shortfall - where's that money gonna come from? Re-using Charity could be done without finding any more money.

Regardless, this is a huge positive because the city gets more federal money out of it. The state has shown every indication that they are willing to let the city rot before sending more state tax dollars our way. If the state had lost the arbitration, they probably would have just dropped the plans altogether and we'd have NO hospital at all.

Has anybody been following the mayoral election? Right now, I'm leaning towards voting for Perry, but I'm warming to Mitch too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 10:58 PM

3 new Tulane Ave. developements fully leased

Domain Cos. completes leasing of Tulane Avenue apartments

by CityBusiness staff reports

Published: January 28th, 2010

The Domain Cos. announced today that it has fully leased the three mixed-income apartment developments it built along the Tulane Avenue corridor after Hurricane Katrina.

The Preserve, The Crescent Club and The Meridian, which represent more than $120 million in investments and include 483 apartments, are now home to more than 1,000 residents.

Domain principal Matt Schwartz said the developments’ rents and rates of occupancy exceeded the expectations of experts, achieving the fastest occupancy and highest rents of any Gulf Opportunity Zone Act-funded housing development.•

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 3:56 AM
TL;DR

Whaaaat? That's the last thing I expected to hear! I mean, I was happy about all the new construction, but I kept hearing about how even the "affordable" housing is out of the price range of many New Orleanians, and all the new developments were unlikely to do very well. On the other hand, Domain built attractive buildings and had top-notch marketing, so that was probably a factor.

All I can say is, geaux Domain Cos! Please build more!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
A federal arbitration panel awarded Louisiana $475 million Wednesday for hurricane-related damage to Charity Hospital, ending a long-standing dispute with federal authorities and providing a major boost to the state's efforts to build a new teaching hospital in lower Mid-City.

The six-page ruling by the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals hands the state a landmark victory over the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which had valued the hurricane damage at $124 million and offered to settle the case for $150 million.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index....pital_pla.html
Regardless of what happens or what side your on, this is the biggest economic news post-K since the re-opening of the dome.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 12:18 AM

Passed by this site recently. Exterior building fully complete.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Passed by this site recently. Exterior building fully complete.

The lights are now on at night and it looks 10x better in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ Except that the state's plan still costs $1.2 billion, and the state only has $300 million to chip in. That leaves a $400 million shortfall - where's that money gonna come from? Re-using Charity could be done without finding any more money.

Regardless, this is a huge positive because the city gets more federal money out of it. The state has shown every indication that they are willing to let the city rot before sending more state tax dollars our way. If the state had lost the arbitration, they probably would have just dropped the plans altogether and we'd have NO hospital at all.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 11:08 PM

Saw a crane constructed just off I-10 at causeway on the south side behind the Galleria. Site is blocked off with The Lemoine Company signage. Can't find any info on the project, anyone have any idea?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 2:55 AM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 5:49 AM

That is an interesting article. I agree that the land under the tower is probably worth more than the building itself. It's a great location that could be used for any number of purposes. However...the WTC is kind of iconic on the NOLA skyline. It would strange not seeing it there. Unfortunately, the building isn't very useful for office purposes anymore. Condo's or a hotel are the best option...and that's pretty tough to do in this current economic climate. Maybe if the city just gave a developer the building it would work.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 12:31 AM

I am a member of the PRC but as long as that land isn't turned into a park...demolish it. That is one ugly building (I was there this summer, at the WTC offices...its very Mad Men...but the building LOOKS not kept up at all)

However the PRC people are getting their engines going...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 5:48 AM
TL;DR

How'd you get into the WTC? I'm a fan of Edward Durell Stone, and I really want to see it before it's kaput. His stuff keeps getting trashed, from 2 Columbus Circle to the Aon Building to Prince Georges Plaza.

I personally don't see why the WTC is any more deserving of a teardown than any of the other sparsely-occupied or abandoned towers downtown... it's very unique, unlike all of the bland sterile boxes along Poydras or Loyola. The WTC is right on the river, so the views alone would allow for a redevelopment of the building. There may be no demand for hotel, office, or residential here right now, but this is a prime, prime spot. Something is guaranteed to come along once the economy recovers - if it's not torn down by then. Same for the Canal Place expansion site.

As an aside, can we PLEASE get Entergy to move or at least enclose that god-damn substation? Talk about inappropriate for the site of the city's founding.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 7:47 PM

I interviewed for a temp job at the WTC that's how.

And you are right about that, there are tons of buildings near O'Kefee and Rampart near Tulane Hospital that should be torn down.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:06 AM
-

Id argue that the entergy substation is one of the main hurdles for developing the WTC. Its simply too isolated from pedestrians how it was built. In fact that whole area including the Hilton and Riverwalk needs a major renovation. The build of the place is very dated, like it rejects the rest of the city. that might have been how things were built in the 70s-80s but not now. Indoor malls selling overpriced tourist are dead!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 10:21 PM

Magazine Open at WWII Museum
Feb. 4, 2010 • 10:11 amThe two blocks of Magazine Street adjacent to the National World War II Museum have been reopened. The streetscape features new bricked sidewalks, numerous ornamental trees and resurfacing on Magazine St.

The National World War II Museum is one of the MSMA's newest members. It is one of the prime attractions in the Arts District of New Orleans.

http://www.magazinestreet.com/?news

Passed by the upgraded blocks of magazine next to the museum. Looks very nice with repaved street as well as brickwork on the sidewalks and the street. There is a large brick fleur de lis in the intersection adjacent to the museum. Also all new lighting and trees were planted.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 4:02 PM

I saw that a few days ago...

I thought wow...this doesnt look like New Orleans at ALL. Its so clean and perfect...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 11:25 PM

Company offers $10B to buy Riverwalk, Oakwood owner

BALTIMORE -- The nation's largest mall owner wants to buy the company that owns Riverwalk Marketplace in New Orleans and Oakwood Center in Jefferson Parish. Simon Property Group LP announced Tuesday a $10 billion, all-cash offer to buy bankrupt realty trust General Growth Properties Inc. In a Tuesday letter to GGP's board of directors

...Wow, that sounds like a huge offer. Would be great if the riverwalk could be revamped.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...oakwood-owner/

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 11:30 PM

Cool Loyola Ave. streetcar is coming

I saw on WWL TV that construction should be completed by May 2012 on this project and that the RTA is confident in getting funding for the French Quarter and Convention Center Boulevard lines. Good news. Wonder what variety of street car they'll utilize.

New Orleans awarded $45 million federal stimulus grant for new streetcar service
By Bruce Alpert, Times-Picayune
February 17, 2010, 11:10AM

Rusty Costanza/The Times-PicayuneFederal grant awarded to create new streetcar service from Canal Street to Union Passenger Terminal along Loyola Ave.The city of New Orleans won a $45 million federal stimulus grant today to extend streetcar service from the Union Passenger Terminal to Canal Street, using Loyola Avenue.

It was among 51 projects awarded grants under what the Department of Transportation called its TIGER grant competition. The grants, totaling about $1.5 billion nationwide, went to fund transportation projects with a preference for "creative projects" that could increase business development while increasing public transit options.

The project will cover the costs of a roughly 1.5-mile streetcar from the Union Passenger Terminal to Canal Street.

In announcing the selection of the project, DOT said the Loyola Avenue corridor is home to significant commercial and business activity, including the city's energy, government t healthcare and financial sectors. It said that the new streetcar line should help attract development and redevelopment of under-utilized properties along the Loyola Avenue corridor.

Under the $45 million grant, the New Orleans Regional Transportation Authority has until Oct. 2010 to let construction contracts for the project.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:34 AM

great news, sounds like it was stiff competition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations