HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
A true century is already possible in the River Valley, start at Cameron Heights, make your way out to location of the new bridge and then take the opposite side of the river on your way back. easily 110 km, 1100 m of climbing.
I'm think 160, I've done the 100 loop. And stopping in Cameron heights you get to finish at Malinas.

I do a Henday Bridge to Henday Bridge loop every year. Some times trying to stay on the paved paths ( longer and has steeper long climbs), others trying to stay as close to the river as possible (short punchy climbs and I can use my Cross or Gravel Bike). Only problem with that is the section in the NE by Aurum road.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 12:35 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I'm think 160, I've done the 100 loop. And stopping in Cameron heights you get to finish at Malinas.

I do a Henday Bridge to Henday Bridge loop every year. Some times trying to stay on the paved paths ( longer and has steeper long climbs), others trying to stay as close to the river as possible (short punchy climbs and I can use my Cross or Gravel Bike). Only problem with that is the section in the NE by Aurum road.
I do similar, with a rule that I must cross each bridge at least once (except the yellowhead.
I want to try to do a route that's primarily single track, making sure to hit all the best trails along the way, Henday to Henday and back

I really wish there was a solution to Aurum Road, as then its easy to drop into the science park

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 6:52 PM
Change is good

Sounds like the Feds are making the step towards making the River Valley an urban national park. Announce was taking place at noon today. Seems still preliminary and skim on any real details outside of project beginnings.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 6:54 PM
Community Guy

EDMONTON, AB, March 14, 2022 /CNW/ - As Canadians, we know that green spaces in and around our cities are good for our health, good for wildlife, and good for the environment.

Today, the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism, on behalf of the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, together with the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Mayor of the City of Edmonton, Chief Tony Alexis, Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation and Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations representative, and Audrey Poitras, President of the Métis Nation of Alberta, announced the launch of the pre-feasibility phase to explore the creation of a national urban park in the Edmonton region.

Parks Canada and the City of Edmonton will work closely with Indigenous partners to ensure that a national urban park in the Edmonton region showcases Indigenous stewardship, voices and stories, and offers opportunities for connections to the land and water based on Indigenous Knowledge and values.

A national urban park in the Edmonton region would mean better access to quality green space for Edmontonians and promote better mental and physical wellbeing as people spend more time in nature. It would also create jobs, strengthen the local economy, and compliment the City of Edmonton's tourism.

For nature, urban green spaces provide habitat for animals, including species at risk, and can serve as crucial corridors for wildlife. They are great examples of nature-based climate solutions, helping to cool cities and absorb rain water during extreme weather events. They can contribute to Canada's climate change objectives by sequestering carbon, and to the Government of Canada's commitment to conserve 25 per cent of its lands and waters by 2025, working toward 30 percent by 2030.

The National Urban Parks Program, announced in August 2021, is the next step for Parks Canada whose history over 110 years has provided Canadians a system of national parks, including Rouge National Urban Park, national historic sites and national marine conservation areas.

Quotes

"I am delighted to see that a national urban park in the Edmonton region is in the works. The river valley is a source of pride and inspiration for Edmontonians and Albertans. Green spaces such as this provide us with ready access to nature and all of the health benefits that come from being outdoors. Urban parks boost the municipal economy, generate tourism and employment opportunities, increase biodiversity and help mitigate the effects of the changing climate. Sharing this amazing space with Canadians makes great sense."
The Honourable Randy Boissonnault,
Minister of Tourism

"Edmontonians are united by our love of nature and getting outside. Being close to natural spaces increases wellbeing and connection. We are so lucky to have an incredible amount of green space across our city including the largest continuous area of urban parkland in the country. I am looking forward to partnering with Parks Canada, the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations, and the Métis Nation of Alberta to continue our long-standing stewardship of this land for all to enjoy."
The Honourable Amarjeet Sohi,
Mayor, City of Edmonton

"The Government of Canada is proud to work with partners like the City of Edmonton to create a network of national urban parks and ensure all Canadians have access to green spaces wherever they live, work and play. In addition to supporting better mental wellbeing and equity in urban areas, expanding nature access and protection in our urban spaces is also critical in the fight against biodiversity loss and climate change."
The Honourable Steven Guilbeault,
Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada

"Indigenous Peoples have a deep connection to the land so I am grateful for this development. Having a National Urban Park in Treaty 6 Territory would not only provide space for connecting to the Land, but would also provide opportunities for healing and cultural celebration for both Indigenous and non-Indigenous people. This is a step in the right direction towards Reconciliation."
Chief Tony Alexis,
Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation, Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations Representative

"The Métis Nation of Alberta is pleased to be involved in the early stages of Parks Canada's National Urban Parks Program and looks forward to continued collaboration on this initiative. This program represents an important opportunity to develop green spaces that focus on preserving the natural habitats that exist around us all. An opportunity for growing partnerships with Canada, Alberta, and the City of Edmonton and for exploring new and innovative ways to protect, share, and appreciate the land and to celebrate the rich history, culture, and connection the Métis people have to the Edmonton area."
Audrey Poitras,
President, Métis Nation of Alberta

Quick Facts

The vast network of protected areas administered by Parks Canada is a gateway to nature, history, and 450 000 km² of memories from coast to coast to coast.
New national urban parks will be managed under a range of flexible governance models, including federally administered places, third party administered places, and various partnership approaches.
In January 2022, Parks Canada Agency and the City of Edmonton signed a Statement of Collaboration to indicate their mutual interest in conducting a dialogue around the creation of a new national urban park in the Edmonton region.
Both Parks Canada and the City of Edmonton hope to work, through this collaboration, in close partnership with the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations and the Métis Nation of Alberta, other significant regional land holders, and local stakeholders.
In addition to the city of Edmonton, Parks Canada has signed statements of collaboration with the Meewasin Valley Authority and the municipalities of Winnipeg (MB), Halifax (NS), and Windsor (ON) and is working with others to identify potential urban park sites at various locations, including Colwood (BC) and Montreal (QC).
Related Links

National Urban Parks
Minister's Round Table on Parks Canada
City of Edmonton: National Urban Park Initiative
SOURCE Parks Canada

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
EDMONTON, AB, March 14, 2022 /CNW/ - As Canadians, we know that green spaces in and around our cities are good for our health, good for wildlife, and good for the environment.

Today, the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism, on behalf of the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, together with the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Mayor of the City of Edmonton, Chief Tony Alexis, Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation and Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations representative, and Audrey Poitras, President of the Métis Nation of Alberta, announced the launch of the pre-feasibility phase to explore the creation of a national urban park in the Edmonton region.
What lands are they proposing for this initiative?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:02 PM
Community Guy

The majority of the river valley within the city and perhaps beyond.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:36 PM
Community Guy

Prairie Sky Gondola
---

EllisDon
114,193 followers
2h • 2 hours ago
Following
EllisDon Capital has done it again! The team secured a Development Management engagement with Prairie Sky Gondola Inc. to fulfill the President role through the development of the project to operations.

Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson, Director at EllisDon Capital, will lead Prairie Sky Gondola to fruition! Our very own Joey Comeau, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, EllisDon Capital, will also have a hand in Prairie Sky as he takes a seat on the project’s board.

Edmonton’s Prairie Sky Gondola involves the development of five urban gondola stations over the North Saskatchewan River that connect to Downtown Edmonton. Slated to be up and running in 2025, it will serve the needs of urban commuters, river valley users, and tourists.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
The majority of the river valley within the city and perhaps beyond.
So then I'm pretty unclear on what's being proposed. At one end of the scale, could they be proposing to turn the River Valley into a national park? I do love the river valley but that extreme a plan would kill it, and handcuff the city. So I'm hoping it's not a national park in the traditional sense.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
So then I'm pretty unclear on what's being proposed. At one end of the scale, could they be proposing to turn the River Valley into a national park? I do love the river valley but that extreme a plan would kill it, and handcuff the city. So I'm hoping it's not a national park in the traditional sense.
if edmonton's river valley was managed in a similar fashion as the national capital commission's holdings in ottawa/gatineau - including the wide range of uses and activities and buildings etc. that are in it and/or connect to it - i'd be pretty happy. and i'd be pretty happy to see some of my tax dollars contributing to those things in the edmonton region as well as in ottawa/gatineau.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 10:11 PM

I think there will be a few differences between a National Park and an Urban Park but the feds should clarify them.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Prairie Sky Gondola
---

EllisDon
114,193 followers
2h • 2 hours ago
Following
EllisDon Capital has done it again! The team secured a Development Management engagement with Prairie Sky Gondola Inc. to fulfill the President role through the development of the project to operations.

Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson, Director at EllisDon Capital, will lead Prairie Sky Gondola to fruition! Our very own Joey Comeau, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, EllisDon Capital, will also have a hand in Prairie Sky as he takes a seat on the project’s board.

Edmonton’s Prairie Sky Gondola involves the development of five urban gondola stations over the North Saskatchewan River that connect to Downtown Edmonton. Slated to be up and running in 2025, it will serve the needs of urban commuters, river valley users, and tourists.
Good to have a legit construction manager on board.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
if edmonton's river valley was managed in a similar fashion as the national capital commission's holdings in ottawa/gatineau - including the wide range of uses and activities and buildings etc. that are in it and/or connect to it - i'd be pretty happy. and i'd be pretty happy to see some of my tax dollars contributing to those things in the edmonton region as well as in ottawa/gatineau.
It feels a little paternalistic to have the gracious feds and province tell the city how to park. If anything, the group they've cobbled together sound more apt to downgrade usage of the river valley than turn it into anything great.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 1:53 PM
Change is good

That's not the way its proposed to work. The city would remain in control.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:46 PM

Also even though the city would be in control, there would be Federal money involved to upgrade the infrastructure. This could also speed up the completion of the trail system from Devon to Ft Sask.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:48 PM
Community Guy

It could also inject a bunch of money into the Rossdale redevelopment and help push forward a significant indigenous component.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:42 PM
Change is good

It could also provide money for the city to complete a single track assessment (rough estimate is around $1M) and fix the perception problems they have created with the Ribbon of Green fiasco.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
It could also provide money for the city to complete a single track assessment (rough estimate is around $1M) and fix the perception problems they have created with the Ribbon of Green fiasco.
lets hope.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 8:38 PM
Community Guy

Upcoming Online Presentation and Survey

An online presentation will be held to share the preliminary design prepared for the proposed footbridge and open spaces on each side of the North Saskatchewan River.

Date: Thursday, March 24, 2022
Time: 7-8:30pm

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...conafootbridge

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:22 PM
Community Guy

Our valley riverboat launch is getting some work done in preparation for the boat being back.

Kaizen on SRC
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...t.27873/page-2

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Our valley riverboat launch is getting some work done in preparation for the boat being back.

Kaizen on SRC
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...t.27873/page-2
This area and boat always remind me of a very popular Nordic type spa I used to go to in Montreal called Bota Bota. Their story is in the link below but they turned an old ferry and port area into a very popular restaurant and Nordic spa.

I would love to see something similar there with this boat if it ever stopped sailing.

https://botabota.ca/en/hublot/bota-b...-3-adventures/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton