HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I don't usually agree with Better Call Sal, but there is a point to be made that GPLETs are depriving some of the poorest school districts in the state of much needed property tax revenue. A method which gives the developers a tax break that doesn't do it directly to the schools would be much better. Sal would of course oppose that too...
I don't know one way or the other if GPLETs are good or bad. But I can say a politician pandering to low-income people by saying a big, bad corporation is stealing money from them is short-sighted and pathetic. If you greatly improve the quality of life in a district, it's going to benefit everyone in it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:25 PM

http://azredbook.com/article?id=1888

Looks like UA research center is breaking ground Thursday. Also, got some new renderings that look a little cooler than the big brown building!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:02 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdavis4 View Post
http://azredbook.com/article?id=1888

Looks like UA research center is breaking ground Thursday. Also, got some new renderings that look a little cooler than the big brown building!
the address the article lists, 435 N. Fifth St, must be wrong. Thats the existing building. Is this one going just north of that?

It looks....OK, I guess. All these Bio Medical buildings are so mono-use, similar looking and most importantly WAY too short. They're really not using land efficiently, but ah well.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:16 PM

Construction has already started on the BioMedical Garage.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Construction has already started on the BioMedical Garage.
So with the Garage, the UA BioMed buiding and the ASU law building could we see 3 more cranes downtown? Hopefully see progress on Portland Place, Union, Ballpark Apts and Luhrs hotel soon as well.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:58 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
So with the Garage, the UA BioMed buiding and the ASU law building could we see 3 more cranes downtown? Hopefully see progress on Portland Place, Union, Ballpark Apts and Luhrs hotel soon as well.
and Phoenix Central Station apartments will obviously require a crane, but that still may be a long ways from ground breaking.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:42 PM

Central Station could really be a tipping point and catalyst for a lot of other additions like a grocery store, other retail, and then more residential living.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:27 PM

If anticipated ground breaking isn't until August 2015 for Central Station, I think a crane is at least a year away. Hopefully, the economy will improve over the next 10 months, and the project will happen.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
If anticipated ground breaking isn't until August 2015 for Central Station, I think a crane is at least a year away. Hopefully, the economy will improve over the next 10 months, and the project will happen.
Yeah, I was counting things that we would all hope to see by the end of the year, but we know half the things fall through or get delayed years.

I think the ASU Law School, UA Science Building/BioMed and garage are all under construction now. Probably the existing crane that's up though is coming down. But we could see these three in the next month (if they all use tower cranes).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
the address the article lists, 435 N. Fifth St, must be wrong. Thats the existing building. Is this one going just north of that?

It looks....OK, I guess. All these Bio Medical buildings are so mono-use, similar looking and most importantly WAY too short. They're really not using land efficiently, but ah well.
Yep, the whole campus is a disaster. It's sad that it's being developed denser than ASU's, though. At least this new building is breaking into the 10+ story zone. None of ASU's buildings have cleared 6, other than Taylor Place.

The one-use nature of the campus makes the new garage even more disappointing, as that was designated to be one of the only pieces linking the campus to Evans Churchill. It was supposed to be mixed use; I still can't believe (well, I can..) that it's being built as is. 'Downtown' as it refers to the public realm is essentially Roosevelt, Heritage Square, and CityScape.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 1:29 AM

I'm 50/50 on this one. Dentistry is one of the top growing industries and expected to continue that growth over the next 20-30 years, so this is definitely the type of facility that should be coming to Phoenix. Being a technical training school, I also like that it's located close to the Parks neighborhood, offering higher education to those who may not be able to afford/commit to an ASU-type institution.

OTOH, this building was already built out for use as a bar/restaurant, and it's close proximity to Chase and USAC made it the perfect spot for a nightlife venture. With this addition, Jackson Street essentially loses the chance at becoming even an after-game destination, as who is going to feel safe walking from 4th Street all the way to 1st Street and Cooperstown past the parking structure, Summit, open parking lots, this new training center, and abandoned structures? Jackson really should have been saved as a mixed use block with a primary focus on restaurants and bars, with a facility like this belonging more on one of the empty lots along Lincoln, IMO.

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/sched...staurant-space

The rendering looks hardly historic; it may as well be a new build. And, there is is plenty of room for new builds just south.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:05 PM
METRO: Encanto

The bar/restaurant has been empty for several years. I remember thinking that someone would have managed to reopen it in time for the MLB All Star Game festivities in 2011 but it did not. Back when it was in business, it seemed to do pretty well before/after games. I've never understood why it has been empty for so long.

Looks like the building on the corner is retained but some new building(s) will be added.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...505fbbe9a145fc

People have been going to Cooperstown all those years that it has been sitting there empty, I don't think that this will hurt, but it certainly won't help.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The bar/restaurant has been empty for several years. I remember thinking that someone would have managed to reopen it in time for the MLB All Star Game festivities in 2011 but it did not. Back when it was in business, it seemed to do pretty well before/after games. I've never understood why it has been empty for so long.

Looks like the building on the corner is retained but some new building(s) will be added.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...505fbbe9a145fc

People have been going to Cooperstown all those years that it has been sitting there empty, I don't think that this will hurt, but it certainly won't help.
Yea, the impact isn't on Cooperstown, it's on the potential of creating a district as a whole. If the existing building stock closest to the sports stadiums is being used for businesses that are closed by 5pm, it isn't going to create the sort of atmosphere that is conducive toward attracting patronage to bars, restaurants and nightlife, which is what a block of historic buildings adjacent to an entertainment district should easily support. It's obvious now that the entire Warehouse District, including Jackson now, is set to just become an employment hub for startups and other companies seeking cheap land/buildings. Hopefully, at least a few more places like Cooperstown open up so that residential is viable and pedestrians/workers/residents at least have decent food options in the area.

Again, this is better than the district sitting empty and the buildings being torn down or abandoned indefinitely. But, I still think the former Madison hotels and Jackson Street should've been home to authentic restaurants, bars, breweries, boutiques, etc. as the CityScape area grows into a more national/chain-based retail hub. But, there's simply no synergies to be built now as buildings are repurposed or demo'd. All of this employment growth would've been great, just further south.

At this point, I really wish the W had been built on schedule when the market could still support it. A Chinatown relic sitting there without any public use indefinitely isn't benefiting the city or residents. What a shame it couldn't become the Rock n Roll HOF Branch as planned, with a modern addition for a Chinese cultural exhibit of some sort.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 7:59 PM

Portland on the Park Condos

The City issued the building permit for the Portland on the Park condo building on 10/17/14:

Permit # BLDS T622357

Description/Scope of Work:

TYPE OF BUSINESS:RESIDENTIAL CONDOS AND RETAIL SHELL LOG#: LPRS

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: NEW SHELL AND CORE CONSTRUCTION. 14 STORY 170 UNIT RESIDENTIAL (R2) CONDOMINIUMS, RETAIL AND 6 STORY
PARKING GARAGE ON 1.8265 NET ACRES. THIS IS NON-SEPARATED USE, IA CONSTRUCTION TYPE REDUCED PER IBC 403.2.1. THIS PERMIT
INCLUDES BUILDING-OUT OF COMMON AREAS ONLY.

I was not aware that retail was incorporated into this project. Hopefully we'll see a tower crane soon. 14 floors will make a noticeable difference when exiting the highway at 7th Ave.

http://www.portlandparkcondos.com/

Last edited by nickw252; Oct 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM. Reason: clarify what project this is for.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The City issued the building permit for the condo building on 10/17/14:

Permit # BLDS T622357

Description/Scope of Work:

TYPE OF BUSINESS:RESIDENTIAL CONDOS AND RETAIL SHELL LOG#: LPRS

DESCRIPTION OF WORK: NEW SHELL AND CORE CONSTRUCTION. 14 STORY 170 UNIT RESIDENTIAL (R2) CONDOMINIUMS, RETAIL AND 6 STORY
PARKING GARAGE ON 1.8265 NET ACRES. THIS IS NON-SEPARATED USE, IA CONSTRUCTION TYPE REDUCED PER IBC 403.2.1. THIS PERMIT
INCLUDES BUILDING-OUT OF COMMON AREAS ONLY.

I was not aware that retail was incorporated into this project. Hopefully we'll see a tower crane soon.
What is this? Sounds interesting ...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
What is this? Sounds interesting ...
Sorry, I left out the name of the project (fixed)- it's for the Portland Place Condo project at Portland and Central Aves.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:44 PM

Looks pretty great from the rendering...love the street side retail and condos...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:32 PM

That looks amazing!!!!!!!

Love the shade awnings over the sidewalks!!!!!!! -As well as many other aspects!!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:47 PM

Pretty big investment by Lennar, looks like this should actually happen...

Quote:
Lennar buys downtown land from Israeli developer for $13M

An Israeli real estate investment firm has sold a long empty downtown Phoenix parcel to homebuilder Lennar Corp. for $12.75 million.

Lennar wants to build a 368-unit apartment complex at the property on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and McDowell Road.
The undeveloped land was owned by Africa-Israel USA. That group is an arm of Tel Aviv-based Africa Israel Investments Ltd, also known as AFI Group.

Lennar is a major U.S. home builder but is getting into apartment development including a new complex in Tempe.
AFI had previously talked about building 34-story condo tower on the McDowell-Central parcel. That was back in 2007 before the recession.
The property has been empty for years.

Mike Sunnucks writes about residential and commercial real estate, government, law, sports business and workplace issues.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...developer.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Looks pretty great from the rendering...love the street side retail and condos...

IT HAS A PARKING GARAGE!!!!!!! Cue in the JJ rant. Haha.

All joking aside, it looks like a well done design. Appears to accommodate for retail along Portland and adds a good deal of density to the area. The linear park along Portland is going to look awesome once it is sandwiched by development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest