HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I doubt that it's the chain that's saying no (to good, solvent franchisees).

Translating signage, printed products, training materials, software for cash registers, order screens, employee schedules, advertising, etc. is (seen as) a huge pain the ass by a lot of American chains.

Whereas operating in Ontario is almost as simple as operating in a different state for them. You see that with signage and product labelling that often use American spelling like "color" and "center". Just one example.

Obviously many of them don't do much at all to adapt to the Canadian market when they're in the ROC.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Translating signage, printed products, training materials, software for cash registers, order screens, employee schedules, advertising, etc. is (seen as) a huge pain the ass by a lot of American chains.

Whereas operating in Ontario is almost as simple as operating in a different state for them. You see that with signage and product labelling that often use American spelling like "color" and "center". Just one example.

Obviously many of them don't do much at all to adapt to the Canadian market when they're in the ROC.
Sure, but again, if some obsessed Montreal franchisee wants to pay for all that, I doubt it's the chain who's going to say no.

Those factors are a barrier to entry, sure. Quebec likes fried chicken less than other places, AND it's a costlier market to enter, so, as I said earlier, I'd obviously pick Wyoming first.

Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the only grey place on that map (except for the North), with Cheyenne, St. John's and Charlottetown all getting Popeyes locations some day.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
This could be it but it could be due to the the fact it is a chain selling fried chicken.. those kind of restaurants do not do well in Quebec (just look at PFK (KFC)).
That may be because we have so many other, better options.

https://montreal.eater.com/maps/best...-frit-montreal

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I must admit I have never been to Popeyes. I had a look on Google Maps and they are in remote parts of Canada like Richmond and Langley. Perhaps someday I will assemble the requisite team of Sherpas.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I must admit I have never been to Popeyes. I had a look on Google Maps and they are in remote parts of Canada like Richmond and Langley. Perhaps someday I will assemble the requisite team of Sherpas.
I entered my Vancouver address in Popeyes' restaurant locator, and it said "No location anywhere nearby."

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new Halifax location is located in the deepest darkest Larry Uteck Blvd region - no place that an urbanist peninsular Haligonian would dare venture (thar be dragons.....)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The new Halifax location is located in the deepest darkest Larry Uteck Blvd region - no place that an urbanist peninsular Haligonian would dare venture (thar be dragons.....)
...in the trendy area of Larry Uteck Boulevard in Bedford, NS.

https://canadify.com/2022/03/13/pope...in-march-2022/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Aspirational (ironic or not) discussions about which cities have or should have certain American chains is also Peak SSP Canada.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aspirational (ironic or not) discussions about which cities have or should have certain American chains is also Peak SSP Canada.
Indeed, but it's so much fun.........

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I was just looking up the "trendy Larry Uteck Blvd. area" on Google Maps and noticed there is also an IHOP (International House of Pancakes) very close to the new Popeye's.

IHOP is another US chain that I am pretty sure is not present in Quebec.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:48 PM

What’s interesting about IHOP is, their only presence in Canada beside NS and NB is in Niagara Falls.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
What’s interesting about IHOP is, their only presence in Canada beside NS and NB is in Niagara Falls.
Without any googling, I'd venture a guess that it's because IHOP is Northeast-based.

Similarly, if In-N-Out ever opens a location in Canada, it's likely going to be in the West.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:54 PM

Cripes, I didn't realize Popeye's was so absent in the rest of Canada. There are 7 of them just in London alone.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The NB and NS franchisor for IHOP (Corey Craig Developments) also brought in a Carrabba's Italian Grill for their new Hyatt Place Hotel in Moncton. This is a popular chain in the southern US, especially Florida. This is the first Carrabba's in Canada. I think these guys spend a lot of time in the deep south in the wintertime.

Corey Craig also owns about 40 Tim Horton's restaurants in southeastern NB too. This is how they made their money. They have since been diversifying......

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Corey Craig also owns about 40 Tim Horton's restaurants in southeastern NB too. This is how they made their money. They have since been diversifying......
It's depressing to realize that it's possible to make large scale money by operating Tim Hortons locations.

One can't monetize irritation in this country, but one can certainly monetize stale donuts and disgusting coffee.

Sad.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Cripes, I didn't realize Popeye's was so absent in the rest of Canada. There are 7 of them just in London alone.
wow, that's half as many as the entire lower mainland, IF you include C'wack.
The smallest cities in Western Canada that have a Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen is Lloydminster or Prince Albert, Sask. not sure which is smaller.

Quote:
omg, I just realized now that Denny's is the equivalent of International House of HePatitis in the rest of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There's an IHOP in Winnipeg.
They're in BC too, Kelowna is the closest I think

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:09 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
There's an IHOP in Winnipeg.

Popeye's are all over Winnipeg too.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:

Just tried a random Downtown Halifax address (I didn't even have to look anything up, thanks to SSP; I went with 100 Barrington St) and it also said "No Popeyes Anywhere Nearby, Sorry".

I think the current value of the Popeyes Variable for Halifax and Vancouver in the remoteness equation should be 0 at the moment.

Proof: Popeyes' Canadian location locator. (The ultimate authority on that question.)

QED

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:19 PM
recession proof

IHOP has opened a location in Brampton iirc. Popeyes was new to me when I went to their first Toronto location, Eglinton West of Marlee summer 2000. But now I associate it with obese coworkers, many from the Caribbean, eating it during lunch.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

My kids know most of these chains due to travels in the US but their view is either that there is usually something missing in their Canadian locations that doesn't make them worth it.

Most of them are in fact absent from Quebec (though some are present just across the river from us in Ottawa) but generally speaking they don't or wouldn't frequent them here in Canada.

I think this is probably a fairly typical view in Quebec.

(Note that this only appears to apply to food. Not so much to other forms of retail, it seems.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada