HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 6:33 AM
TL;DR

^^ Haha... already out of date.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 7:15 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Does that girl know that her dirty toenail is floating around the internet?

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:44 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...0,841735.story

Despite suburbs' attempts to derail plans, Canadian National Railway's Chicago bypass on track

Doomsday crises have yet to appear, but railroad's volume not yet up to full speed

Canadian National Railway freight cars zoom across Ogden Avenue in Naperville. So far, dire predictions about CN’s use of suburban tracks have not come true. (Tribune photo by Chuck Berman / January 11, 2010)

By Richard Wronski
Tribune reporter
January 18, 2010

Quote:
Nearly one year after the Canadian National Railway purchased a suburban rail line as a freight bypass around Chicago, fears of a massive influx of two-mile-long trains rolling through dozens of neighborhoods haven't yet materialized.

But residents and local officials have complained that train noise and vibrations from the CN's more powerful, multiple locomotives are wreaking havoc on home life.

"The engines make ungodly noises and vibrations. ... They would wake the dead," said Michele Oehlerking, who lives across the street from the tracks in Hawthorn Woods. "The house shakes and the lampshades jiggle. In summer, you can't hear the TV when the trains go by."

Still, worried suburbanites haven't seen many of the problems that were predicted for the former Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway, a lightly used short line railroad running from Waukegan to Joliet to Gary.

Equipment breakdowns have occasionally closed some crossings for excessively long stretches and delayed motorists, records show, but no horror stories involving blocked ambulances or firetrucks have been reported.

Overall, train volumes have decreased on most segments of the EJ&E since CN started operating on the line in March, according to monthly reports the railroad has filed with federal regulators.

In December, the stretch from Mundelein to Bartlett averaged more than seven trains a day, only two more than ran on the EJ&E prior to CN's takeover. Most of the rest of the segments showed only one more train per day, or fewer trains, according to CN's report.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 8:38 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Despite suburbs' attempts to derail plans, Canadian National Railway's Chicago bypass on track

Doomsday crises have yet to appear, but railroad's volume not yet up to full speed
I'm just shocked that the worst possible outcome didn't happen ...

I would be interested in some analysis about reduction in delays and traffic on other lines that were previously used for trains ...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:04 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

This sign just went up on Skokie Blvd near Oakton.

flickr/chicagobus.org

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:53 PM

nice. i support that

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
nice. i support that
The need to put a station at Dodge St. in Evanston. I believe that there was one there many years ago.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 10:11 PM
Windy City Dan

interesting Go To 2040 transit articles

Summary And A Quick Tour Of Transit For World-Class Metropolises: Can Chicagoland Compete?

by Robert Munson, CAC member

I especially like the bits about "micro micro" economies and how transit rich Chicago neighborhoods save 12% annually on transportation.

http://www.goto2040.org/blogs/blog.a...493&blogid=618

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:27 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
This sign just went up on Skokie Blvd near Oakton.

flickr/chicagobus.org
They estimate 17 months for construction. I don't think the project has been let yet, but that should happen soon.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:00 PM

I'm so mad at the bastard CTA unions. I can't believe they'd rather have 1000 of their employees be laid off than have all of their employees cancel their 2010 3.5% raises. I thought the point of unions was to fight for their members. Maybe I'm not getting something

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:07 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They estimate 17 months for construction. I don't think the project has been let yet, but that should happen soon.
Why does it take so long? It doesn't look at all complicated, but maybe I'm missing something.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 8:35 PM
Urbane observer

^So they can pretend that a $2 million project is worth $18 million.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:04 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
I'm so mad at the bastard CTA unions. I can't believe they'd rather have 1000 of their employees be laid off than have all of their employees cancel their 2010 3.5% raises. I thought the point of unions was to fight for their members. Maybe I'm not getting something
fully agree. between this and the expos fleeing mccormick place, im getting very frustrated with these labor unions. is there a federal or state regulation that forces the CTA to deal with unions? cant they make their workforce non-union? im sure its a stupid question, but i honestly dont know...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:41 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

Ever seen an old fenceline where a tree has actually grown into a barb wire fence, permanently fusing the two? That's like the labor unions in a place like Chicago. For better or worse.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
is there a federal or state regulation that forces the CTA to deal with unions?
My understanding is that explicitly, no there's not a mandate to deal with a labor union per se, but...

Quote:
cant they make their workforce non-union?
No - they cannot prevent employees from "organizing."

Per the RTA Act:
Quote:
Originally Posted by (70 ILCS 3615/2.15) (from Ch. 111 2/3, par. 702.15)
Sec. 2.15. Policy With Respect to Protective Arrangements, Collective Bargaining and Labor Relations.
(b) There shall be no limitation on freedom of association among employees of the Authority nor any denial of the right of employees to join or support a labor organization and to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing.
Also of note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by (70 ILCS 3615/2.16) (from Ch. 111 2/3, par. 702.16)
Sec. 2.16. Employee Protection.
(b) The Authority shall negotiate or arrange for the negotiation of such fair and equitable employee arrangements with the employees, through their accredited representatives authorized to act for them. If agreement cannot be reached on the terms of such protective arrangement, any party may submit any matter in dispute to arbitration... The impartial arbitrator's decision shall be final and binding on all parties. Each party shall pay an equal proportionate share of the impartial arbitrator's fees and expenses.
In other words, said unelected "impartial arbitrator" has the power to de facto force either cuts to public services, increases in taxes, or some combination thereof.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:02 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
In other words, said unelected "impartial arbitrator" has the power to de facto force either cuts to public services, increases in taxes, or some combination thereof.
Would you trust any of our elected officials to have the financial savvy and management skills to make a fair decision in a CTA-union arbitration? Chances are, they'll just do the bidding of whoever whines the loudest. Unless they're a die-hard conservative (in IL, no less) they will probably side with labor over management... no better than any impartial arbitrator, but far more uninformed.

This is the problem with public-sector unions. Labor issues inevitably affect the amount or quality of the services offered on a monopolistic basis to the public . If I'm a transit-dependent and my bus line is cut because the union employees have to get their mandated raises, then I'm now screwed, even though I'm not part of the negotiation/arbitration process.

A given private company, on the other hand, is not essential to the functioning of society, and in a free market, has competitors. If the company is having labor issues, then a decline in the amount/quality of the good/service it offers will have a minimal effect on society due to the actions of the competitors.

This isn't an argument for privatizing transit - a company that is awarded a monopoly on transit in a given city is equally bad...

I'm not familiar with the arbitration process as it is used at CTA... is it done over the course of one session, or does the arbitrator give CTA/the unions time to evaluate the financial consequences of the decision before he shoves it down their throats? The process might be a little more equitable if, after the arbitrator suggests a compromise, CTA is given time to determine exactly what cost-saving measures or new revenue sources it would use, and vice versa for the unions (although the consequences of a decision unfavorable to unions are much simpler).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Would you trust any of our elected officials to have the financial savvy and management skills to make a fair decision in a CTA-union arbitration? Chances are, they'll just do the bidding of whoever whines the loudest. Unless they're a die-hard conservative (in IL, no less) they will probably side with labor over management... no better than any impartial arbitrator, but far more uninformed.
The difference is that an elected official would be accountable to the people who voted to elected him - notice how a ~60% Democratic majority on the national level couldn't move the ball over the finish line because not enough are willing to take ownership of some combination of service cuts or tax/fee increases. The same moderating effect would be at play if people with some accountability were responsible for public sector labor costs, as well.

Quote:
This is the problem with public-sector unions.
Labor unions are, almost by definition, a construct by which employees can oppose management and ownership of the employer and seek to extract maximum value for themselves, and minimize the value extracted by management and ownership, so long as the employer stays can remain a going concern.

Unlike in the private sector, the ownership that a government union is opposed to is the public itself, and the employer is an essential public service that can't go out of business. There's a very good reason that, despite being a pro-labor president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was opposed to the formation of public sector unions, which didn't become pervasive until the post-War years.

In the private sector, the impact of labor unions has largely been able to play itself out, e.g. in order to remain viable, businesses just relocate. This is why public sector union workers dominate the organized labor landscape by now, as the playing field is tilted in their favor since the "management" and "ownership" they are opposed to have essentially unlimited resources (revenue raised via taxation rather than sales as in the private sector) and their employer, as a public agency, has a monopoly and thus there are no substitutes by which to introduce competition to keep the economics sane.

This all also why public sector unions are the most vocal supporters of income tax increases. They know that it means more money for them at the expense of "ownership" i.e. the public.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the arbitration process as it is used at CTA... is it done over the course of one session, or does the arbitrator give CTA/the unions time to evaluate the financial consequences of the decision before he shoves it down their throats? The process might be a little more equitable if, after the arbitrator suggests a compromise, CTA is given time to determine exactly what cost-saving measures or new revenue sources it would use, and vice versa for the unions (although the consequences of a decision unfavorable to unions are much simpler).
I don't recall the details of the process - there are a couple iterations and opportunities for appeals for both parties, but eventually the "impartial" arbitrator's decision is binding and enforceable in court.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 1:27 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
[B][SIZE="4"][URL="http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/homes/news/debat/1999346,debat18.article"]Prediction: Near South Side set to boom

.......and long-range South Side plans call for construction of a light-rail commuter system from McCormick Place to 63rd Street along Cottage Grove Avenue.
Have I been under a rock? I can't recall where this has been talked about off the top of my head.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 3:29 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Never heard of it. No only light rail "plans" ive heard of are the Ogden streetcar and Carroll Ave.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:08 PM

I have a question for you guys, because I don't know anyone elses opinion I can count on. Do you think Chicago is as much of a central rail hub for the country as it use to be?I look at old pictures of Chicago and see pretty much nothing but railroads. Is it that we built over or around these railroads and now obscure them, or have many lines simply been eliminated? Thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation