HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
More crazy Conshy real estate

Home on West 3rd Avenue in the Borough of Conshohocken lists for almost $1.1 million

In 2020, the property was sold for $336,000...
https://morethanthecurve.com/home-on...t-1-1-million/
Never thought I'd see a house and think vinyl siding would have been a better choice. Does anyone actually like this?

Last edited by Justin7; Sep 17, 2024 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Never thought I'd see a house and think vinyl siding would have been a better choice. Does anyone actually like this?
No.

The only people who like it are contractors masquerading as architects who think they can do it better. Why pay money to a good architect when you can do this instead.

I don't care how much it costs, I just see the material choices and think at every choice a corner was cut. Casement windows are cheaper than standard windows with mullions. That door is from Home Depot. The porch railing is stock. Even the retaining wall looks to be that precaste concrete attempting to look like stone.

It's just contractor grade all around.

There's a running thread about how historic districts stymie development. But IMO, there are places that have earned the right to have a say in terms of material choices etc. At this point, Conshohocken is one of those places. If people are going to be building $1MM homes, then Conshohocken has a vested interested in regulating if not style expllicitly, at least the quality of materials.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 1:44 PM
Me?!?

Montco's Cross County Trail Gets $45 Million Grant To Expand, Connect

The massive grant will help connect hiking and biking trails from Conshohocken to Wissahickon, Ft. Washington, Willow Grove, and beyond.
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/norri...expand-connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
JP Orleans to build 119 homes on 'premier' riverfront site in King of Prussia

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...p-orleans.html

Located off of Mancill Mill Road, the project sits along the Schuylkill River Trail West, a short walk on the trail from Valley Forge National Park and its visitors center. It is nestled between the sprawling retail and office district surrounding the King of Prussia Mall and the Schuylkill River.
It's "premier" if you like an area that is noisy (both cars and trains), near a sewage plant and with flooding concerns.

The site:
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Montco's Cross County Trail Gets $45 Million Grant To Expand, Connect

The massive grant will help connect hiking and biking trails from Conshohocken to Wissahickon, Ft. Washington, Willow Grove, and beyond.
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/norri...expand-connect

It's "premier" if you like an area that is noisy (both cars and trains), near a sewage plant and with flooding concerns.

The site:
Video Link
I used to live on the other side of that river in the apartments over there...It's was a great spot, not noisy (I could hear the train but it wasn't bad), and the flooding was rare. I lived there for 4 years, and there was never a significant flood. There was a minor flood in one tiny corner of the parking lot (My car happened to be in that zone that day, and it was totaled, but that's besides the point )

In the past 15 years (roughly) I think there were only two significant floods (the most recent one was after I left in 2020)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
I used to live on the other side of that river in the apartments over there...It's was a great spot, not noisy (I could hear the train but it wasn't bad), and the flooding was rare. I lived there for 4 years, and there was never a significant flood. There was a minor flood in one tiny corner of the parking lot (My car happened to be in that zone that day, and it was totaled, but that's besides the point )

In the past 15 years (roughly) I think there were only two significant floods (the most recent one was after I left in 2020)
I don't know anything about that immediate area but can say this much. I looked at JP Orleans website for this development and their product is FAR nicer than anything Toll is building in the Philadelphia region, at least as far as townhome product goes, and especially to the schlock Toll is putting up in KOP.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 1:57 PM
Me?!?

Quote:

Climate models indicate that the flooding is going to be more frequent and significant, they are right up against the train tracks, closer to 422 (especially on one end of the development), may be right next to a hotel... Yes, nowadays developers will get in where they fit in but this location just doesn't scream "premier" to me with the negatives:

https://www.jporleans.com/new-homes/...t-valley-forge

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Climate models indicate that the flooding is going to be more frequent and significant, they are right up against the train tracks, closer to 422 (especially on one end of the development), may be right next to a hotel... Yes, nowadays developers will get in where they fit in but this location just doesn't scream "premier" to me with the negatives:

https://www.jporleans.com/new-homes/...t-valley-forge
Isn’t this site located well above the river? My understanding is that there’s a pretty large incline from the river up to the train tracks and this site.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 8:48 PM
Me?!?

For you, PhillyRising

Demolition of Kennedy Kenrick High School completed in Norristown. Watch the video
https://morethanthecurve.com/demolit...tch-the-video/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 2:29 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
For you, PhillyRising

Demolition of Kennedy Kenrick High School completed in Norristown. Watch the video
https://morethanthecurve.com/demolit...tch-the-video/
It will always be Bishop Kenrick to me as that it what it was called when I attended there.

I was there last week and saw it in progress in person. That was after I had my Tuna Zep at Eve's..I walked up to the light at Arch and Johnson and took in the demolition. Eve's was packed too..like I never saw it before. Every table full and a line to the door for pick ups. The sammies never disappoint.

It's sad..but it was sitting vacant for 14 years and not doing Norristown any good. The Archdiocese turned it's back on Norristown and it was just time to move on. The building was not feasible for repurposing. Norristown needs new housing. It's a good part of town so hopefully it attracts more people into town. Lets face it...Norristown is ripe for a bounce back at it's really one of the few places where houses are still affordable.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 2:33 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:

That property was once a movie studio site way way way back in the day like 1912 to 1923. Betzwood was the first Hollywood!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 2:27 PM
Chris

I sound like a NIMBY... A shame this beautiful plot will be developed into yet another shopping center. I would have preferred to see the land left alone, but housing would have been a good compromise.

Developer plans up to $70M shopping center at controversial Concord Township
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ites-sale.html

A long-vacant 25.5-acre plot of land in Delaware County approved for 165,000 square feet of retail space is trading hands with the new owners planning to move ahead with developing the site. Moorestown, New Jersey-based Retail Sites is under agreement to acquire the parcel at the corner of Route 202 and Ridge Road near the borders of Glen Mills and Chadds Ford.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:
I sound like a NIMBY... A shame this beautiful plot will be developed into yet another shopping center. I would have preferred to see the land left alone, but housing would have been a good compromise.

Developer plans up to $70M shopping center at controversial Concord Township sitehttps://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2024/09/25/shoppes-at-concord-glen-mills-retail-sites-sale.html

A long-vacant 25.5-acre plot of land in Delaware County approved for 165,000 square feet of retail space is trading hands with the new owners planning to move ahead with developing the site. Moorestown, New Jersey-based Retail Sites is under agreement to acquire the parcel at the corner of Route 202 and Ridge Road near the borders of Glen Mills and Chadds Ford.
Isn't American urbanism just great?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 4:33 PM

That's not being a NIMBY, that's just being responsible and intelligent. Destroying fields for shopping centers at this point is unnecessary. Build up the small towns and take advantage of the existing built out areas and make them more dense. It's just too logical apparently.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 2:16 PM
Chris

For the data nerds... Pennsylvania GDP has surpassed $1T! And impressive growth stats overall when compared to the 49 other states.

California---4,080,178.3
Texas-------2,694,524.0
New York----2,284,363.5
Florida-------1,695,272.6
Illinois--------1,132,143.3
Pennsylvania-1,017,257.3
Ohio-----------922,776.2
Georgia--------877,746.3
Washington-----850,529.1
New Jersey-----841,417.0

Gross Domestic Product by State and Personal Income by State, 2nd Quarter 2024
https://www.bea.gov/news/2024/gross-...d-quarter-2024

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 2:46 PM

I was in Jenkintown for the first time in a while and there were at least 4 new mid rise apartments either on or just off of Old York Road. Really nice to see Jenkintown start to build up given it's sizable business district and access to public transportation. I think I heard that the Jenkintown-Wyncote regional rail station was the busiest outside of city limits. Does anyone know if that is true?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 1:49 PM

Quote:

Developer plans up to $70M shopping center at controversial Concord Township
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ites-sale.html

This is really sad tbh. There is more than enough retail and shopping centers in that immediate area, not to mention the Delaware state line is only 5 minutes south with all of it's incumbent additional retail on top of that. They already have a Whole Foods, Wegmans, Target (2), Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, etc etc etc. There are strip centers with Anthro, Terrain, LuluLemon, etc.

The only thing that would add to the area on top of what's already there would be something super high end (meaning with true luxury stores) and we know that's not going to happen. I'm thinking like a Suburban Square part II.

What a waste of perfectly good scenic land. I guess I'm surprised the township didn't buy it at some point given there's been so much land preservation as is in the area.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 3:05 PM
Me?!?

Wilmington Airport breaks ground on terminal expansion set to debut next year. Here's what to know
https://www.delawareonline.com/story...n/75414657007/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 4:19 PM
Me?!?

Major Development Project Approved In Downtown Norristown

Final approval has been granted for a new 7-story building with hundreds of apartments and commercial space on the ground floor.
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/norri...own-norristown

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:21 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:

Final approval has been granted for a new 7-story building with hundreds of apartments and commercial space on the ground floor.
I thought this died. I can't believe how that intersection has just languished for years. They really need to knock down everything west of Dekalb from Lafayette up this site...the buildings one that first block oif DeKalb are past their expiration date. The auto parts store...is it still even open? Just terrible what it there....

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:02 PM

Quote:

Love to see it! I'm bullish on the future of Norristown. It has all of the ingredients (minus the school district I suppose) to be just as attractive as Conshohocken and then some. Parts of it are also beautiful, especially along Haws Avenue.

Unfortunately, Norristown has to compete with Northwest Philly, Conshohocken, and even neighboring Bridgeport which all arguably offer more than Norristown currently does.

Temple University '18 ']['

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations