HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 3:29 AM

Judging by the Moxy's renderings, it would appear to be taller than the surrounding two existing apartment complexes which is pretty nice. I hope that the other Ronstadt proposals aren't cut back as a result of this. One thing that I'd personally prefer is to see the original Moxy site being turned into a grand public plaza, something that part of downtown desperately needs. That's the heart of Second Saturdays and it would be fantastic if events like that have a landing pad in that side of the downtown to operate. Open space (and preferably green space) is also much needed to prevent any feelings of clutter and congestion. The way I see it is that Tucson isn't the island of Manhattan or the San Francisco peninsula. We're fortunate enough to have a lot of flat land to develop and we've wasted it building suburbs that aren't well maintained. In order to be able to compete with other cities we need to use everything in our power to our advantage and open space happens to be something that we have much more of than they do. The other buildings in the Ronstadt center definitely need to maintain their size and or be increased in height while maintaining their unique style of architecture. If that is done then we'll have our own little Bryant Park and Bank Of America Tower styled corner.

Cities with parks sprinkled in the urban center also tend to have a more aesthetically pleasing skyline.

EDIT: If Marriott is trying these hotels in Tucson to test the waters in the country as a whole, that should be a very good sign of the strength of the downtown area in the future.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 3:29 AM

[QUOTE=InTheBurbs;7726907]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
So, it will be a Moxy, and it's on the empty Depot Plaza lot. Good stuff.

According to Channel 13, this will be 110 rooms plus 50 apartments. From the render, it looks like maybe the apartments will be on the upper floors.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/clip/13...s-get-approval
Good find. On a similar note, the convention center hotel is supposed to be 125 rooms on a lot that's about twice as big as this. Unfortunately, I feel like that means we're looking at a pretty low floor count. Maybe with the parking component, I'll be surprised.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 3:56 AM

Hopefully the financing for the Moxy is easier to come by than it was for the AC. It would be super exciting if these projects came to fruition.

More immediately, did anyone catch any updates on City Park?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Are you thinking of the hotel at the Ronstadt? This is a different location, around the corner from there. I guess they will need a new partner for a hotel at Ronstadt
AH, ok, that makes sense. After seeing the channel 13 news bit on it I realized where it was, thanks! I wonder with the Moxy going in a different location what hotel brand we may see for the Ronstadt development? I'm going to Europe in May and Radisson Hotels have a fantastic new hotel concept called RED in Brussels. I think it would be perfect for the Ronstadt hotel!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:01 PM

Marriott branding is officially gone at Main Gate.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
I've never seen Casa Grande as having that kind of appeal to draw in projects like this. All desert cities can't be like Dubai or Vegas. This just seems too extravagant to put in Casa Grande.
Not saying you all are wrong but I lived in Central Florida when Disney decided to build a theme park there in the middle of nowhere about as far south of town as Casa Grande is from Phoenix or Tucson. In those days, not that many people outside Florida had even heard of Orlando. To most, Florida meant Miami or Tampa or maybe Jacksonville.

The problems with this idea are 2 as I see it but location isn't one of them. They are that these developers don't have Disney's resources and especially they don't have Disney's brand. Everybody knew who Mickey Mouse was and back then most families were tuning in to Mckey Mouse Club on TV and had seen all th films and TV shows (Davy Crockett etc). And in the eastern half of the country a lot of kids wished they lived in southern CA so they could go to Disneyland in Anaheim. This Arizona idea doesn't grab the imagination that way. But still, I never say never.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Not sure if its a good or bad thing, but through the Open Houses I heard that the developers for the Ronstadt project are looking at adding a 3rd plaza on the corner of 6th and Congress and adjusting the footprints of the structures.
I kinda hinted this Moxy situation would happen in my Jan. 13 post...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Marriott branding is officially gone at Main Gate.

I would guess this is the reason for that de-branding:

Quote:
The $36.7 million project is to build a new Marriott Residence Inn Hotel on Marshall Foundation property at the southeast corner of North Tyndall Avenue and East Second Street. It would have 213 rooms, a restaurant, meeting space, retail space, a rooftop pool and a parking garage. The top floor will house an exclusive club for faculty and alumni.

As part of the incentive deal, the first $1.2 million of the tax rebates will pay for a public plaza between the new hotel and the existing Main Gate Square buildings. It will include trees, art, a water feature and a digital message board.

Once finalized, this will be the second project to receive a site specific sales tax incentive from the city. The first was an AC Hotel by Marriott, now under construction in downtown Tucson.
http://tucson.com/business/local/cou...8570432b3.html

Marriott's recent acquisition of Starwood is almost certainly causing them to reorganize their properties and brand placement. In Tucson they have their upscale JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and will have this AC Hotel apparently but the Marriott Residence Inn seems a more appropriate brand/price tier for folks visiting the university for whatever purpose than other Marriott brands. Assuming Marriott managed but did not own the property losing its Marriott branding, Marriott probably didn't really want to keep their name on it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 9:24 PM

The news clip and article refer to the "east" parking lot of the TCC. Is the "east" the lot off of Church or the "east" parking lot on the east side of Granada where they proposed the 25-story hotel over a decade ago?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Marriott's recent acquisition of Starwood is almost certainly causing them to reorganize their properties and brand placement. In Tucson they have their upscale JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and will have this AC Hotel apparently but the Marriott Residence Inn seems a more appropriate brand/price tier for folks visiting the university for whatever purpose than other Marriott brands. Assuming Marriott managed but did not own the property losing its Marriott branding, Marriott probably didn't really want to keep their name on it.
There have been updates/non-updates to this project since that article was published, though. Specifically, we know the proposed hotel at 714 North Euclid is now projected to be the Residence Inn based on updates to their plans submitted late last year. Also, the plans for the 930 East 2nd site have not progressed since approximately 04/2016. So, the question is whether the project on 2nd is still active.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:31 PM

Federal agents raid Caterpillar offices in central Illinois

In January, the company announced it plans to move its global headquarters and about 300 top jobs to the Chicago area after decades in Peoria. Caterpillar also scrapped plans to build a new headquarters in downtown Peoria, which is located about 175 miles southwest of Chicago.

Caterpillar has faced a number of investigations in recent years focusing on its business practices, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

I wonder how this will affect the Tucson operation and plans.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
The news clip and article refer to the "east" parking lot of the TCC. Is the "east" the lot off of Church or the "east" parking lot on the east side of Granada where they proposed the 25-story hotel over a decade ago?
This updated article/news clip answers my own question. The site they are looking at is the lot off of Church. I agree with Steve Kozachik...it would be silly to lose this private venture due to a parking lot. If you see in the video, there are a lot of empty spaces during the work week. How much is the City really losing in income in comparison to what they think they can make?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
This updated article/news clip answers my own question. The site they are looking at is the lot off of Church. I agree with Steve Kozachik...it would be silly to lose this private venture due to a parking lot. If you see in the video, there are a lot of empty spaces during the work week. How much is the City really losing in income in comparison to what they think they can make?
If this proposal does not happen because of the parking issue, I am going to lose it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 4:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 3:26 PM

Good interview. When he says "beautiful" apartments at La Placita...I want to see the renderings he's looking at. The Nor-Gen conversation was a little muddy though, didn't instill confidence that something was in the works...maybe I interpreted wrong.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 10:27 PM

"According to Channel 13, this will be 110 rooms plus 50 apartments. From the render, it looks like maybe the apartments will be on the upper floors."

Or do you suppose that they're planning on taking over the MLK apartments right behind it? MLK is housing for the elderly and/or disabled. This new hotel will effectively block all sunlight from it. Your thoughts, please, Ted Lyons.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:11 PM

I don't know that it's that easy to reappropriate subsidized housing. What I suspect is that this FORS rendering is extremely preliminary a la the first rendering they did for the AC. That one even changed floor count over time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:31 AM

Thanks, Ted.

I know people who live at MLK and the word of this development has spread, upsetting many. I looked up the interview with Fletcher McCusker that 'farmerk' linked to, upthread, and in it, he spoke of the hotel including "a 24-hour bar" which, I'm sure, all the residents at MLK will enjoy having right outside their bedrooms.

Earlier reports had Scott Stiteler planning an ongoing 'open air market' for this site. In my opinion, that would have been a better idea. Of course, I realize that money always talks but this part of downtown is already 'agreeably' saturated; it's the western end of Congress that needs life breathed into it, not the eastern end anymore.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizAnon View Post
Thanks, Ted.

I know people who live at MLK and the word of this development has spread, upsetting many. I looked up the interview with Fletcher McCusker that 'farmerk' linked to, upthread, and in it, he spoke of the hotel including "a 24-hour bar" which, I'm sure, all the residents at MLK will enjoy having right outside their bedrooms.

Earlier reports had Scott Stiteler planning an ongoing 'open air market' for this site. In my opinion, that would have been a better idea. Of course, I realize that money always talks but this part of downtown is already 'agreeably' saturated; it's the western end of Congress that needs life breathed into it, not the eastern end anymore.
I noted that 24-hour bar comment, too, and it had to be a misstatement. Hotel liquor licenses have to follow the same service hours as any other bar. I've stayed at the Moxy in Tempe and their lobby bar wasn't even open to 2am, IIRC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest