HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 4:28 AM
Lahaina Strong

"The Point" will be another UIPA. The state forms an agency for a poorly defined idealistic development, gives it unlimited money for unstudied projects, and ultimately reins it in and cancels silly things like this when it becomes clear that the people in charge have no clue.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:19 PM

It looks like one of those fist shaped sex toys. Gotta love the irony in building a 'statue to responsibility' while the state (and nation) is in a housing availability and affordability crisis.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 6:36 PM

The Point prison redevelopment project announces phase one plans

https://lehifreepress.com/2023/11/27...ase-one-plans/

Quote:
The Point of the Mountain State Land Authority (POMSLA) held a ceremonial signing with developers on Monday November 27 at the Clearlink Headquarters in Draper. The ceremonial signing signifies the start of a $2.3 billion investment into the 600-acre former Utah State Prison site.

On Monday, the POMSLA released the phase one plan which encompasses approximately 100 acres of the property and will include:

• 416,000 square feet of retail and event space

• 3,300 multi-family units (about 412 will be affordable units for tenants earning 80% of the area median income)

• 540 hotel rooms

• 60,000 square foot event center (2,000 seating capacity)

• 16.2 acres of green space and trails

• 12,650 parking spots

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 6:38 PM

1. Planning is better than no planning
2. This is underwhelming in every possible way
3. "Utah City" looks more dynamic, inviting, and marketable

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:06 PM
Space Magi

One under-reported aspect of this is that the state is apparently retaining ownership of the whole site in perpetuity. That means, among other things, all of the housing will be rentals.

What would have been nice is for the state to use this as an experiment for new housing policies like overhauling/modernizing its laws vis-a-vis condominium development/ownership. I spoke to a developer about this and he said that a big reason people don't build condos in this state is because of its underdeveloped regulations on condo ownership/liability. Home ownership should be one of the state's top priorities, in my opinion, and such changes would benefit all of Utah's cities. Admittedly I don't know the details here, but on a site like this the state could do a lot more than usual to promote condo development.

Also, 2.3 million square feet of new office space seems like a bad idea in the current market and it will certainly cut into the demand for office space in the real downtowns. Doesn't seem very "responsible" to me, ironically, but they must be banking on a windfall of companies coming in from out of state to be near the "statue of responsibility" or whatever.

Finally, the transit plan is a mess. 12,000 parking spaces is way too much, and that's probably driven by the subpar transit options being considered. If they do go with LRT, it should connect with the Blue Line (and the Blue Line to Lehi). Full stop. Don't just build a transit connection between Lehi and The Point. And don't get me started on the new FrontRunner station that's unnecessary, problematic, and somehow already funded.

"Utah City" is so much better. Just needs a better name.

Last edited by Atlas; Nov 28, 2023 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 11:20 AM

It's almost like "The Point" isn't about creating a livable community at all, but is just a pet project of the state legislature.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 6:20 PM

No, I wasn't thinking exactly the same thing at all.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 10:56 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It's almost like "The Point" isn't about creating a livable community at all, but is just a pet project of the state legislature.
As much as I want to say something cynical about a legislature that's "still pretending it's 1988," I must concede that as backwater as they are, I applaud them for attempting to do something forward thinking. As deeply imperfect as it is.

They just as easily could have sent the land to a surplus auction and sold it to a well-connected developer who would've built a second Thanksgiving Point mess on it. At least this *attempt* to do it right.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 1:39 AM

I don't know. I see what you're saying. but at the same time, I wish they would have just auctioned it off and focused on building downtown Salt Lake. Or at least, stopped actively trying to lure development away from downtown.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 2:33 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I don't know. I see what you're saying. but at the same time, I wish they would have just auctioned it off and focused on building downtown Salt Lake. Or at least, stopped actively trying to lure development away from downtown.
I'm not sure I feel the same. Multi-nodal urban hubs reduce commuting distance.

I'd rather see people car commute from Eagle Mountain to the prison site than *super*commute into downtown SLC (know people who do/did that).

Glad to see transit and a sensible "grid" that allows the site to build UP over time. (Unlike Thanksgiving Point which is forever broken).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:39 PM

It is an improvement over Thanksgiving Point, I'll give you that. But with as much parking and as little transit as they're proposing, I'm not convinced it will end up as far off as we think.

I can't shake the feeling that it won't even end up being what they say it is, which is already underwhelming.

Basically I'll believe it when it happens. Until then, I'm skeptical.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 6:22 PM

The Point - new renderings

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 2:25 PM

Murray plans mixed-use for the old City Hall site along State Street - https://buildingsaltlake.com/murray-...-state-street/

Last edited by delts145; Dec 26, 2023 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 12:09 AM
They all float down here

Looks like a glorified office park.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Looks like a glorified office park.
Just like I said it would be, and some of y’all cried no.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Murray plans mixed-use for the old City Hall site along State Street - https://buildingsaltlake.com/murray-...-state-street/

It's not my favorite thing ever, but it seems an appropriate size/scale for that area, and enhances Murray Park/Murray Theater instead of detracting from it. I know the uh "European-Style Tower" is going to get the most attention, but clicking into the article, I really like the townhomes that are part of the same project. I live in Murray right now, I think that location and those townhomes would be a great place to live with a lot of amenities close by. Like...I'm digging it a lot.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:02 PM

That tower is absolutely hideous. I hate that kind of faux-historic architecture, it almost never looks good.

Those townhomes look great though, which makes me think they will be value engineered to oblivion by the time this place actually gets built.

I do appreciate the mixed-use development in this area though. The more we get these mixed-use developments spreading through corridors around the valley the better.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 12:08 AM

West Valley City Development Updates

I apologize in advance, I don't have any pictures.

-West Lake Jr. High Rebuild - New school is fully framed and siding and brick work is ongoing.

-The old West Valley City Justice Court building is being demolished. Not sure what is going in it's place. The WVC utility building in the same area was demoed a few years back.

-Back Nine Apartments - These are nealrly fully framed out and sidling is going up now.

-H20 Lofts - Large townhome development near Decker Lake that is nearly complete.

-Decker Station - Fully framed out and siding going up

-Sage Valley Apartments - Complete with additional retail pads around the site.

-Traditional Town Home development on 3200 W Linder Ct.

-The lofts on 35th - Can't find any news on this, but they are listed for sale on Zillow. Project seems to be finished. Off 3500 S south of WVC park.

-More massive warehouses off of Beagley Rd going up

-Nusano Building off of Lake Park Blvd.

Last edited by SL,UT; Dec 29, 2023 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 11:56 PM

I know it is not news - but I have been reading up on developments in PC. I was disappointed to see Park City's base parking lots were going to be redeveloped but plans have since been withdrawn as they evaluate 'paid/reservation parking.' However, Deer Valley Snow Park Redevelopment seems to be moving full steam ahead before the Olympics. It is the redevelopment of the massive parking lots at its base.

Here are the only renderings I was able to find for this specific redevelopment on Deer Valley's website. There seem to be more from over the years across the internet.

Deer Valley Plans Snow Park Gondola
Quote:
The four gondola sections would span 5.4 miles and form one of the largest gondola systems in North America. A ride along the entire line from U.S. 40 to Snow Park would last approximately 25 minutes. The lift would be built and funded by Deer Valley on top of the $15 million Deer Valley is committing to fund other transportation and housing initiatives.

Deer Valley expects to open the first new ski terrain for the 2025/26 season, though Snow Park redevelopment will take the majority of this decade. The entire project is expected to be completed in advance of the potential 2034 Salt Lake Olympics.

Deer Valley’s Snow Park expansion moves closer to reality
Quote:
The Park City Council unanimously approved Deer Valley’s request to vacate the right-of-way on over two acres of private land adjacent to the Snow Park base.

Commitments from Deer Valley include $15 million for a parking and transit facility, a 20% reduction in day skier parking, and a gondola network connecting Snow Park to the resort’s new base along U.S. 40 in Wasatch County.
I thought I saw a significant unit # somewhere, but it may have been for the old park city plans. Either way I am always happy to see these massive parking lots redeveloped - it doesn't seem the purchase of Mayflower has slowed other expansions. Hopefully Park City will go forward with redevelopment of their base as it is much closer to Main Street

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 6:38 PM
NIMBY Hater

I like the large covered bus terminal in the plans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West