HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 12:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
To needlessly state the obvious, lack of voter participation in Philadelphia arises in large part from the fact that the Democratic City Committee and an entrenched entitlement class have a stranglehold on the system and generally block compelling, innovative, honest candidates from getting anywhere.

When your choices are dolts, as are most of our local choices (eg, Singletary, Clarke, Blackwell, Kenney), it is no surprise few have people have any interest in voting. Most serious people vote,"with their feet", as they say, by exiting the City. It's a sham democracy, a charade disguising an unsophisticated - if perhaps somewhat gentler - banana republic regime. Instead of Vladimir Putin or Robert Mugabe, we Have Bob Brady. Superficially a nice guy, but a visionless hack.

For the record, I am a registered Democrat (mainly so I can vote in local elections that might offer a hint of a worthwhile choice) and vote in City elections, though I know it is largely a pointless exercise.
Voter participation is low nationwide, especially in non presidential elections. It has nothing to do with the local democratic committee. Most Philadelphians could care less about them- most don't even know who they are or who leads them. As for voting with feet- the city population is on the rise. People do not choose where to live based on politicians. If that were the case you wouldn't have tons of northerners relocating to southern states that have extremely conservative state legislatures that are totally out of line with the the views of many of the people who are moving to this states from "blue" parts of the country.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I'm not sure what to make of these renderings. It's got a bit of an Eastern State Penitentiary vibe to it, a "preserved state of decay." I think that's kind of cool, but I'd also love to see the theater's exterior completely restored.
I don't get the impression that it will be "preserved in a state of decay" as the renderings might suggest, I simply get the impression that the renderings were done so cheap that they didn't even address the facade.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I'm not sure what to make of these renderings. It's got a bit of an Eastern State Penitentiary vibe to it, a "preserved state of decay." I think that's kind of cool, but I'd also love to see the theater's exterior completely restored.
I really hope they don't go that route. I remember attending a show at the Harvey Theater at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and being reminded of the interior of the Philadelphia Met, having gone to a Hidden City branded show there in 2009. Maybe it's interesting for people who've never done work on a century-plus old building, but I found it to be pretty off-putting.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:36 PM

Photos of the Rodin square apartments and future CVS and Whole foods stores.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Unless you have been under a rock you should know that a lot of stuff was changed and panels were convened to recommend major changes to permitting, procedures and city governance structure.
More fun L&I news:

Quote:
The Market Street collapse was supposed to trigger major changes in the department of licenses and inspections. . . . . But L&I, a beleaguered unit charged with enforcing building codes, issuing licenses, and inspecting construction and demolition sites, requires far more dramatic investments to right itself — and in Philadelphia, that kind of investment seems unlikely.

Some of the reasons are strictly practical . . . . Budget season too often looms as a series of tough choices, with schools, libraries and rec centers on the chopping block. L&I is an easy loser in that conversation, its workforce of building inspectors largely invisible unless something bad happens.

The other primary reason L&I remains the underfed child of city government is less savory. “There’s no political will to change it,” says Glenn Corbett, a code enforcement veteran who chaired a commission organized after the collapse to investigate the department. “There’s a political incentive to keep L&I weak. Because to any mayor or Council member, this is the unit that developers and businesspeople are going to complain about. And so a lot of moves were made after the collapse, but not a lot changed.”

. . . . [a] man who fell to his death [while on a fire escape at a Center City party] should have been safe; the fire escape wasn’t overloaded. But L&I is. New agency commissioner David Perri admits his inspectors currently shoulder workloads about two times too large, and the limited new funding Kenney proposed will only keep the agency running in place. One of the most important functions L&I performs is demolition, knocking down buildings deemed “imminently dangerous.” But Perri can’t demolish dangerous buildings as fast as he discovers new ones, given a backlog of about 250 all year long. . . . . .
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/th...tU8XRf8tmCU.99

As the article points out, the issue isn't really a question of administration. It's a question of scale. When you have a tiny (necessarily, for budgetary reasons) squad of inspectors and tens of thousands of blighted properties - there is no way, even with the addition of an elite force of highly trained Swiss civil engineering commandos, that the City can ever keep up with the problem. It's not a question of manpower. It's a question of a system that incentivizes poor behavior, neglect, reckless speculation.

This is the definition of a systemic problem, a structural problem. The city can't reasonably address this problem with a few procedural changes and a couple new civil service hires.

The only way for the City to be able to seriously tackle the pervasive problem of dangerous buildings is to impose a regime that imposes meaningful, substantial financial penalties on speculators and neglectful property owners.

Yet there appears to be virtually no political will in Council or Brilliant Jim Kenney's office to do this.

But, sayeth the defenders of the City, OPA essentially just imposed a land tax by raising land assessments!!!!! Beest that not a proof of good intention going forward?

Yes, indeed they did impose a land tax. With irony bordering on comedy, they imposed it on people who built nice new buildings on empty land, yet - goest thou and figureth - they left the taxes of the speculators alone. No land tax for them.

But they'll do that next year!, thou doth protest.

Yes, of course they will.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 6:38 PM

Inspectors in busy districts can be responsible for 1,000+ permits. The idea that they can effectively do their job with that much responsibility is ridiculous. We need many more inspectors, we're a city that's in a building boom + also has thousands of dilapidated structures... important we handle this correctly.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 11:09 AM

Rodin has turned out a bit better than I expected! I like the stone (or whatever it is) material they used for the base. The apartment portion also looks better than I thought from earlier construction photos.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:12 PM

Post Bros. buys 1520-22 Chestnut St - plans redevelopment

Quote:
PH Retail, an affiliate of Philadelphia-based real-estate firm Post Brothers, has purchased a controlling interest in two Center City retail properties from Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust.

PH Retail announced the acquisition of 1501-05 Walnut St. and 1520-22 Chestnut St. in a release on Tuesday. Plans include the redevelopment of the Chestnut Street property, which formerly accommodated a Dollar Tree store.

Post Brothers president Matthew Pestronk said in an e-mail that the terms of the deal are protected by a confidentiality agreement, but that the company's expenditures on the acquisition and planned improvements will exceed $50 million.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...gapfKLCLVJo.99

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:19 PM
BANNED

there is currently scaffolding up in front of the 1520 building along with L&I notices about the building needing repairs for safety reasons. I assume the facade isn't stable.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:17 PM

Some great news for Brewerytown!

Quote:
An affiliate of MM Partners of Philadelphia has paid $1.4 million for the vacant Pyramid Electric Supply Co. warehouse in Brewerytown, which has permits to be converted into apartment or condo units.

Brewerytown Pyramid Building Partners LP bought the six-story building near Oxford Street and West Glenwood Avenue from an affiliate of Iron Stone Strategic Capital Partners, according to Ken Wellar, a managing partner at Rittenhouse Realty Advisors, which marketed the property.

The building has permits to be converted into a 46-unit residential project, according to Rittenhouse.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...76IDrpuqdke.99

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlphila View Post
Some great news for Brewerytown!
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the hype about Brewerytown. It's adjacent to some not-so-nice parts of the city and transit access is lacking.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:04 AM

Took these last Friday but forgot to post....
Rodin Square:
101 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

The whole foods will have the distinction of being the first supermarket in Philadelphia to have an escalator (from the parking garage to the store):
097 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Vine Street Expressway construction:
Vine Street Expressway construction by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Vine Street Expressway by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Broad and Callowhill NE:
043 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

045 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

047 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

SW:
048 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

A last look at the mural:
050 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:11 AM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 12:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the hype about Brewerytown. It's adjacent to some not-so-nice parts of the city and transit access is lacking.
SEPTA is going to add a new bus route that will connect Brewerytown to University City. Also, if you haven't noticed most up and coming areas are adjacent to not so nice parts of the City. How is this area any different from Point Breeze or Kensington or Francisville?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 12:29 PM
BANNED

a little more detail about the plan for the retail purchases by POst Brothers:

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20.../#more-3112807

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:00 PM

New dorm for CCP on 15th and Hamilton. This would be a huge upgrade from what is currently there.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...nrollment.html

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
The transit access issue is a little overblown. The 32 bus will get you to City Hall in about 15 minutes. That's about the same as taking the El from Kensington. Yes, rail is preferable--but it isn't really a huge deal.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
The transit access issue is a little overblown. The 32 bus will get you to City Hall in about 15 minutes. That's about the same as taking the El from Kensington. Yes, rail is preferable--but it isn't really a huge deal.
not to mention many can ride their bikes into town. Or take the 15 to Broad street and hop on the subway. Probably a 20 minute SEPTA commute. Or the 48.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
a little more detail about the plan for the retail purchases by POst Brothers:

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20.../#more-3112807
Interesting points:

"The 1520-22 Chestnut Building has the largest retail floorplate available west of Broad Street currently: a total of 40,500 square feet, with 13,500 square feet on each of two floors and a basement. Hope said PH Retail expects to announce a new tenant for the building in about six months."

and

"Pestronk said, “If you were asking us where the real money is to be made in the city right now, we’d say West Philadelphia. But since we’re talking about Center City, it’s Chestnut Street.” Stay tuned, then, for future announcements of this type on the opposite bank of the Schuylkill."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Green Street Estates on Parkway -

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled
5000 square foot townhomes on the Parkway is obscene.

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development