HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:59 AM
Lahaina Strong

Progress on the Kem And Carolyn Gardner Mental Health Crisis Care Center

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 5:01 PM
Lahaina Strong

Photos of a couple Layton area projects as of yesterday:

The Parkway Apartments:

Tanner Clinic Layton Parkway:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:50 PM
Lahaina Strong

Utah's true tallest is getting a new coat of paint.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 5:03 PM

This article states that ground is breaking at the end of the month for the new Bees stadium and "downtown Daybreak"

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2023/...s-larry-miller

How do we not have any renderings??

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 2:13 AM

I know you're probably talking abt the stadium itself but here is the only rendering of downtown daybreak I have ever seen (from December 2019)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I know you're probably talking abt the stadium itself but here is the only rendering of downtown daybreak I have ever seen (from December 2019)
Thanks for that. Never seen it. It looks great. Therefore it won't happen.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Thanks for that. Never seen it. It looks great. Therefore it won't happen.
Yeah, it reminds me of the renderings they use to show, back in the 00s of what eventually became Fairbourne Station in West Valley.

However, I think Downtown Daybreak has a greater chance of actually becoming something like this.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:12 AM

There is definitely some imagination used in all of daybreak's renderings if I remember correctly, but overall I think they seem to have been pretty accurate. The roads will probably be a bit uglier and the trees definitely twiggier but I am a fan of what they have done so far. It won't be like vineyard but I have higher expectations of daybreak than the point rip

I wonder if some of the reason for such secrecy and cryptic imagery is to limit any opposition (although powerless atp)? I'm sure there are other reasons as well but they had a ton of single family to sell before the town center broke ground.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 11:13 PM
Space Magi

Does Midvale have plans to revitalize its little main street? I actually didn't even know it existed until recently. It has the bones to be something really nice. Needs an amphitheater or park or something to draw people.

Last edited by Atlas; Oct 12, 2023 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Does Midvale have plans to revitalize it's little main street? I actually didn't even know it existed until recently. It has the bones to be something really nice. Needs an amphitheater or park or something to draw people.
Not that I’ve ever heard of, it’s been about how it is now since I was a kid.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Does Midvale have plans to revitalize its little main street? I actually didn't even know it existed until recently. It has the bones to be something really nice. Needs an amphitheater or park or something to draw people.
I drove through it last week, and there was a lot more density than before. Murray is also trying. I believe they are getting some resolution to the development on State Street. That will be a big plus.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 8:49 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
I get "Old Magna" vibes— in that, both towns have "good bones" but are really underused.

The upside for Midvale, higher density housing is legalized nearby which can feed on-foot customers to the shops. Magna is still firmly single-family houses.

(Side note: Herriman *used to* have a bit of a small town center back before 1990. But it was gradually demolished over time. I think the old church is the only building left).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 6:48 PM

The Pioneer side of my family was among the first to settle in Midvale so my interest has always been peaked whenever Midvale development comes up. Gardner Village has been an excellent addition over the years along with the huge land reclamation projects. The bones are great for its Main St. potential, and I think the trajectory is very promising. I'm a little impatient with the lack of progress along Midvale's portion of State St. It still seems very tired and backwater in many areas, though I'm sure it will eventually see redevelopment.

Magna is a gem with incredible potential. Eventually, it will not be so isolated. You can't help but see the great potential there on Main St. Not too many years ago there was serious talk of establishing a ski resort above the town. I know it sounds a little far-fetched but there was a lot of serious talk that it was feasible. I can totally see a lift access at the far West end of Main. It won't be long before the Wasatch is built out with resorts between Ogden and Salt Lake. The demand for more skiable terrain is very palpable just to meet the needs of a growing Wasatch CSA, not to mention the multi-billion dollar contribution each year of the tourist industry. Maybe the next resort established won't be above Magna, but you can bet major expansion will continue in the coming years. Every existing resort in the northern CSA has plans for major expansion, plus the new major resort next to Snow Basin, which is under construction. That resort will contribute a lot of money to Utah's coffers but it will help very little in spreading out the need to accomodate locals. We're all aware of the billions pouring into Park City/Deer Valley's current new development and expansion plans. I wonder when the Southern CSA will finally get into the act. While Sundance is now slated to continue a major expansion program, there's still that decades-old dream of the Seven Peaks area. Now that the airport is firmly established in Provo and it's demand is growing at a rate they can't keep up with it's only a matter of time before Seven Peaks becomes a reality. Remember, Mayflower/Deer Valley was a dream in the making for several decades. Anyway, sorry to ramble. I get a little carried away when it comes to skiing development.

Wren, I can never get enough daydreaming when it comes to Heber Valley. I'll probably end up settling there eventually.

https://www.redledges.com/red-ledges...ommunity-park/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 8:42 PM

^^^^^

Can't blame you for wanting to settle in the Heber Valley Delts, it's a beautiful area! Even the drive in is beautiful, especially the Provo canyon route.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Omg! Yes they do! I was on the Planning Commission for four years in Midvale, we adopted a form based code in 2020/21. It's all reviewed internally with no review by the Planning Commission / City Council.

The Mayor and Council have been pushing new events and things within Midvale Main. I live just west of it in the new(ish) Bingham Junction area. It has become much livelier in the past year or two with the mural projects they have been installing.

I'll try to post next time they have an event there so we can get more of us to visit. It's a great little area that is starting to shed its poor reputation.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 11:03 PM

That's awesome to hear that Midvale has a FBC for their Main Street area. I think FBC's are one of the best ways to encourage development in these areas without necessarily ruining the "character" of an area. Good job to Midvale!

As far as talks of all of the State Street corridors, I just don't see any areas along State Street really seeing that kind of urban revitalization as long as it remains a 6+ lane highway all along its length. Which means UDOT would either have to relinquish control of it (a pipe dream) or have a major change in mindset/culture (a slightly more realistic pipe dream). Even Salt Lake City has struggled with developing along State Street outside of the immediate downtown area.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 4:08 PM

Unfortunately, that is true Bob. I was noticing the marked differences in the upgrade on one of those YouTube drives from Draper to Downtown Salt Lake. However, at least many areas on State have bright clean new developments or have a vibrant commercial feel albeit a little too suburban. What frustrated me was that some areas of State like around Midvale and I-80 etc. look like they haven't seen any upkeep since the 60s. The oxymoron is that most of the neighborhoods just off those areas are usually clean and well-kept. It seems to me when it comes to streets like State that UDOT is often counter to positive action.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 5:47 PM

I got an invitation from Daybreak to their "Downtown Daybreak Open House" where they will show off plans for the Bees stadium as well as phase 1 of that development.

Quote:
On behalf of Larry H. Miller Real Estate, we would like to invite you to join us for an open house to learn more about Phase 1 of Downtown Daybreak and the new Salt Lake Bees ballpark in South Jordan. Please select one of the following open house events to attend.

Thursday, October 19, 2023
4 PM - 6 PM

Or

Friday, October 20, 2023
12 PM - 4 PM

Guests must RSVP in advance and park at Bingham Creek Regional Park to board a bus to the event site. Parking is unavailable at the actual event site.

Bingham Creek Regional Park
4800 West 10200 South
South Jordan, UT 84009

This invitation is for you and up to four guests.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 8:59 PM

I'd love to hear about what their phase 1 plan for downtown Daybreak is if you're able to update us on that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 8:44 PM

The Downtown Daybreak site and the Bees Ballpark sites are live.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West