HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Also have that question and if not, where is the hang up; city or Danny?
From what I've heard, the city wants the entire stretch of road known as Southlands Boulevard and Danny Drive completed whether it's developed right now or not. It will become the main thoroughfare for this section of St. John's....running from the Ruby Line area to the new Galway interchange on the TCH. (which could be commencing as early as this year). The city is responsible for the uncompleted section between where it ends now near Cypress Street to the edge of Galway near Clifton Woods. Danny is responsible for the uncompleted section between Princess Auto and the industrial park near the TCH.

Last edited by wmemeadusjr; May 17, 2022 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 7:33 PM

In the new Gov't list of road projects is an entry "Galway Interchange", is this the tunnel under
the TCH for Galway's West end ??

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
In the new Gov't list of road projects is an entry "Galway Interchange", is this the tunnel under
the TCH for Galway's West end ??
That is indeed the Galway interchange.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 11:37 AM

The All Newfoundland publication is reporting 2 new businesses for Galway will will be announced by the businesses themselves. They say a national food retailer and a luxury retailer. They are very vague descriptions. Food retailer as in a supermarket or a fast food restaurant? My guess would be fast food. There has been a lease pending on the directory for the last 18 months for a fast food type restaurant with a double drive thru. Only McDonald's and Tim Hortons have the volume for double drive thru's. Tim's is already next door to the mentioned site. As for luxury retailer, that could range from a department store like Nordstrom to a jewelry store. Nordstrom usually likes malls and I doubt we'll ever see a store like that here, so I'm placing my money on a jewelry store.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 12:35 PM

Yesterday City Council approved the setbacks for a warehouse at 225 Danny Drive, out at the western roundabout where the new underpass will be. No mention of what it will be but the land plot looks
to be about 800,000 sq ft. almost the size of the Costco footprint.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:44 PM

Drove by there yesterday. It’s right at the entrance of the TCH. All of that area of Galway is industrial park so it’s probably just a big old boring warehouse. Thats what the st. John’s council minutes say anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Yesterday City Council approved the setbacks for a warehouse at 225 Danny Drive, out at the western roundabout where the new underpass will be. No mention of what it will be but the land plot looks
to be about 800,000 sq ft. almost the size of the Costco footprint.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:52 PM

The huge parcel of land on the left side as you enter Galway from Ruth Avenue roundabouts is pretty much cleared. It looks like it will be retail of some sort I’m guessing being right across the street from Costco. I thought it it might be residential as it’s closer to where the houses are. But it’s a big area that’s cleared and flat. I drove by there the other day and they had the posts in the ground for a sign. So keep your eyes opened. Perhaps the sign will explain what it is when it’s installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
The All Newfoundland publication is reporting 2 new businesses for Galway will will be announced by the businesses themselves. They say a national food retailer and a luxury retailer. They are very vague descriptions. Food retailer as in a supermarket or a fast food restaurant? My guess would be fast food. There has been a lease pending on the directory for the last 18 months for a fast food type restaurant with a double drive thru. Only McDonald's and Tim Hortons have the volume for double drive thru's. Tim's is already next door to the mentioned site. As for luxury retailer, that could range from a department store like Nordstrom to a jewelry store. Nordstrom usually likes malls and I doubt we'll ever see a store like that here, so I'm placing my money on a jewelry store.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Drove by there yesterday. It’s right at the entrance of the TCH. All of that area of Galway is industrial park so it’s probably just a big old boring warehouse. Thats what the st. John’s council minutes say anyway.
It's the consolidated operations of Armour Transportation and Seaboard Transportation.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
It's an A&W.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1983 View Post
It's an A&W.
A&W was on the directory last year and then came back off. There's a place on the map with a single drive-thru lane next to the place I mentioned with a double drive-thru. A&W was on the one with the single lane. It makes no sense to have an A&W so close to another. If Marshall's weren't on the lot, I could see the other one. This works for a place like Tim's, but we all know that Tim's will work anywhere. Also, Pizza Hut went on the directory a couple of months ago. It will be in the same building as Cannabis store....take-out only, according to the size.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
A&W was on the directory last year and then came back off. There's a place on the map with a single drive-thru lane next to the place I mentioned with a double drive-thru. A&W was on the one with the single lane. It makes no sense to have an A&W so close to another. If Marshall's weren't on the lot, I could see the other one. This works for a place like Tim's, but we all know that Tim's will work anywhere. Also, Pizza Hut went on the directory a couple of months ago. It will be in the same building as Cannabis store....take-out only, according to the size.
I'm hearing that it's Popeyes, not A&W.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'm hearing that it's Popeyes, not A&W.
Building A5 will be an A&W. I'm not sure what A4 is but I don't think it is a drive-thru restaurant. The site plan does look like it shows a double drive-thru but there is no area for a dumpster and the stopping areas aren't highlighted, so I don't think it will be a restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
The huge parcel of land on the left side as you enter Galway from Ruth Avenue roundabouts is pretty much cleared. It looks like it will be retail of some sort I’m guessing being right across the street from Costco. I thought it it might be residential as it’s closer to where the houses are. But it’s a big area that’s cleared and flat. I drove by there the other day and they had the posts in the ground for a sign. So keep your eyes opened. Perhaps the sign will explain what it is when it’s installed.
The sign is up and it's another retail area. No mention of any retailers, just pads for sale. I'm assuming there must be an unnamed anchor in order to do all that work clearing a large area with so much empty space across the street.
I'm also assuming that whoever is anchoring the area does not want to be part of Plaza REIT who co-owns and runs the Shoppes at Galway.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:36 PM

Wasn't there talks of an arena going in Galway some time ago?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:19 PM

The new retail area in Galway is managed by Resilient Property Solutions. Resilient is headquartered on Harvey Road....same address as DewCor. There are nine retail pads in the new area with 2 listed as sold.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:34 AM

This video wont play for me, anybody else have any luck? If so, what does it say?

http://ntv.ca/galway-development-exp...-growth-spurt/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMusic View Post
This video wont play for me, anybody else have any luck? If so, what does it say?

http://ntv.ca/galway-development-exp...-growth-spurt/
If you go to the Jun 23 Evening News Hour video it starts at ~29:15

It's basically Danny Williams talking about what's going. I'm paraphrasing but basically: new medical building, new commercial(food operator, "luxury" store), new underpass, new housing...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:02 PM

Happy Resident

As a resident of Galway, I have to say I absolutely love it here. I feel connected to nature and to the neighbourhood and it’s exciting to watch it develop. Elliot Homes and Greg Gavin’s crew at Gavin Homes take real pride in their work, shout out to them! I’m happier here than I’ve ever been anywhere.

I would love to see a farmer’s market area here one day!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 11:43 AM

Building A5

Saw heavy equipment working in this area yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1983 View Post
Building A5 will be an A&W. I'm not sure what A4 is but I don't think it is a drive-thru restaurant. The site plan does look like it shows a double drive-thru but there is no area for a dumpster and the stopping areas aren't highlighted, so I don't think it will be a restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchet22 View Post
Saw heavy equipment working in this area yesterday.
The footing/foundation are complete for this building and the steel frame is going up today. The building has a pretty small footprint at 2100 sq ft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's