HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisVerbatim View Post
They have walls inside with a special type of paint that you can write on with dry erase makers. anybody can draw whatever they want on the wall.
What if someone drew a large penis?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Sadly I never saw the aftermath of such a drawing on the wall. I'm sure we can assume all office workers are mature right?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 6:04 AM

Quote:
I'm glad someone wrote what I was thinking.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox71 View Post
And that is what may very well end up going in there. I walked by the site today and spotted a change in the rendered image. Where on the website it simply says "MARKET", that has now been changed on the image to say "FRESH ST MARKET". Fresh St Market would be great for the area - whether for grabbing a bite to eat or grocery shopping, I absolutely love the one in Fleetwood (which incidentally is infinitely nicer that the one other location in West Van). For those in the area, check it out and see if you don't agree that it would be an even better fit than the previously mentioned Whole Foods.
Interesting - HY Louie owns Fresh St. Market - and there's talk on the retail forum of them selling IGA stores.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 11:14 PM

Posted by Yellow Fever yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
This project is just about all done and there are already some tenants moved in.

20160124_142046 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

20160124_142326 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 9:17 AM

Those new lights are so annoying.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 8:27 PM

So whats going on with this project now? Have they completely stopped or something?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 7:29 PM

Very sleek office building. Good job Surrey!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Those new lights are so annoying.
I assume you mean those black 'pseudo "period"' round lamps with the crossbars on the poles?
If that's it, then, yes, I would very much have preferred something cleaner and sleeker: more in keeping with the building design and ambience.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I assume you mean those black 'pseudo "period"' round lamps with the crossbars on the poles?
If that's it, then, yes, I would very much have preferred something cleaner and sleeker: more in keeping with the building design and ambience.
I think he was referring to the traffic lights at the new intersection. Those street lamps are the City Centre design standard. The same ones can be found outside the new City Hall and Library. They are similar to the ones from the 1990's found around Central City, Gateway, 104 and elsewhere, except instead of a full sphere bulb, they are now flat.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:45 PM

Probably meant the street light. I think some people find it annoying because it isn't entirely timed with the light @ 100th Ave. Also the cross walk (cross King George) is quite long, I think pedestrians have 25 seconds to cross.

It seems excessive right now because there aren't many cars but this will eventually become a main through road so it won't be excessive when you load up cars on the cross street turning in and out and the pedestrian count increases 5 or 10 fold.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Probably meant the street light. I think some people find it annoying because it isn't entirely timed with the light @ 100th Ave. Also the cross walk (cross King George) is quite long, I think pedestrians have 25 seconds to cross.

It seems excessive right now because there aren't many cars but this will eventually become a main through road so it won't be excessive when you load up cars on the cross street turning in and out and the pedestrian count increases 5 or 10 fold.
Correct.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 9:26 PM

When is the next phase starting?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 3:44 PM

You mean Phase B right ? I just see the area fenced off now , but not seeing any activity....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:18 AM

Quote:
When is the next phase starting?
I'll try to remember to ask my boss in the near future. He might know

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 6:26 PM

On a sunny saturday.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 6:42 AM

Any updates on when the future phases will start?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Any updates on when the future phases will start?
Project is on hold until further notice

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 8:31 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post

Pedestrians have over 30 seconds to cross - it's pretty much the single longest crosswalk in the entire city. It's further annoying that it isn't timed in sync with the lights at 100th & Fraser and an occasional nuisance coming north on the 96 B-Line.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you have a City that's too lazy/careless to do the necessary engineering/regulating work and then just leaves it all to the developers. No efforts were made to shorten the crosswalk distance - the second bus lane starts right at the intersection even though there is no reason to do so as there is no lane feeding it - it should've been started *after* the intersection to shorten the crossing distance on the north side. The new intersection reeks of pisspoor engineering and once traffic into/out of the complex gets added into the mix, things will be quite messy in the area for both drivers and transit users.

Possibly just another way the City is trying to add congestion now so that the business case-less LRT system being proposed looks like more of an improvement later. (About that, I am really annoyed at how the $4 million put down into the city's traffic control centre that's often in the media included nothing to hold green lights for the 96 B-Line and other buses. TransLink put in a whole such system for the 98 B-Line, from scratch (as in it included the GPS bus tracking system that was not then/is now available system-wide) for $6.2 million, at a time when computers were running Windows 2000. For $4 million and with 2016 technology, it should've been a simple matter to add optimizations to that control centre to help move transit.)

I also want to mention, the segment immediately south of the intersection is in bad need of a repaving and very bumpy, especially on buses (which are often slowing down through the section). With all the construction and paving crews in the area I can't figure out why the City wouldn't have them make sure there's a smooth roadway through and through. Cost-cutting to an extreme.

Last edited by xd_1771; Jul 18, 2016 at 9:00 AM. Reason: Added last para

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 4:10 PM

I don't disagree. I need to turn into Coast Capital 3 days a week to pick up my daughter from daycare and it always takes 2 lights since everyone on KGB hits the red and I can't get into the left turn lane which is timed with the first green.

The light then turns green and I get in the left lane only to wait 3 minutes or so since it is a long light for KGB then another 30 seconds or so for the walkway. Honestly 3 minutes 30 seconds is nothing in the grand scheme of things (1st world problem), but I can definitely see where optimization could help.

That said, and including your description of the poor pavement, I have a feeling powers that be are waiting for Phase 2 of The Hub to be under construction or well on its way since they are going to largely wreck KGB from that light to Fraser Highway. Why go through the efforts of repaving KGB when it will just need to be done again in a few years time after The HUB is completed.

As a Surrey taxpayer, I'm willing to "suffer" a bit of inconvenience right now. I do think the intersection was not well thought out though and they could have provisioned for Transit to get a ROW through there and not get stuck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley